Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Impala88
    edit: d'oh wrong thread, must of bumped up before i clicked my bad.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    wip2.png
    for the LPW Contest 5: http://forum.lowpolyworkshop.com/topic/9078545

still massive wip, thinking of adding the interior since i have 200 more usable tris
  • johnas
    Offline / Send Message
    johnas polycounter lvl 11
    oh darn me! too bad I didn't notice that contest earlier, would've been interesting to join it also. Nice work with the cars, especially Snyders Volvo is amazing!
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    lowpoly_mustang1967.gif
    624 tris 256x256 px texture

I have to agree, but i really want to see that one finished. Jahnas you should check the contests out in the future, maybe you find other themes that interest you. :D
    I can't play with it anymore cause the time is up, but i will try a pixel texture for this mustang after the contest is over.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Flip the gradients on your window's P/E! other then that, try and paint some spec into it so it's not all black still. Good silhouette though!
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Here's another head, 128 texture and 260 tris :)

q89EB.png

That's not Kurt Russel. Your fan club stinks! (sweet head :D)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Nice fastback...

Yeah, I wish I had known about that contest too, I love low poly contests. That would've been a fun one.

Ah, got a new site to check out now though :)
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    lowpoly_mustang1967-v2.gifwires-v2.png

Baddcog: think of it as a site you could really influence. if you have any suggestions, please share. you can even become a staff member if you want to get involved in this project.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    hellz yea that looks alot better paradise
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for the advices mate! :D
  • Leyto
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    esquire wrote: »

finnPose.jpg

Just Finn the Human.

I'm torn about going more painterly (brush strokes, value changes) on him or to just stick with pure flat color fills and a slight AO.

He is basically finished minus some tweaks. I really wanted to be able to do the jelly/rubber arms but its hard trying to stick around 1k.

Thanks for looking, C & C welcome.

Hey esquire, your interpretation is really fine, but if you really want to follow the things through, I would suggest you to use a very tiny outline effect, or total cell shading ("rubber" shading might turn it to a toy-like character)

ps: and maybe add one more edgeloop to the legs and arms, making it more tube-like.

Kurt Russell Fan Club, I love your texturing doodle :)
  • B8MaN
    Hey all :)

I just started learning 3D modelling about a week ago and stumbled into this thread. I read through most of the pages and really liked most of the stuff I saw. So much so that I wanted to have a go myself :) You'll have to excuse my really poorly optimised UV and the crappy texture, I'm no pixel artist :P, I basically used this project as a way to teach myself some of the basics. I have tried, as best as I can, to use the feedback you have given other newbies to improve my own work.

It's 90 tris with a 128x64 diff with alpha. I guess it would be aiming at 3DS* level hardware, but I didn't really have an end use in mind, also it isn't really modelled on anything, it's just a generic car that evolved as I worked on it.

Anyway... I just wanted to show you guys what I made, and to introduce myself really :P C&C is welcome, in fact encouraged really :P I want to learn :p

LPCar.gif

B8MaN.

*Edit: I meant DS, not 3DS :p
  • Delko
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    312vces
    I started this a few months back with intention to put it in Turbo Run, then I decided not to add it to the game and left it half finished. Found it again today and finished it up since theres been so many cars posted on here the past few days.
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko and B8MaN : really nice looking cars! you should enter the contest with them, simply post these images on this thread http://forum.lowpolyworkshop.com/topic/9078545/

More contestants = more fun!
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    B8MaN wrote: »
    Hey all :)

I just started learning 3D modelling about a week ago and stumbled into this thread. I read through most of the pages and really liked most of the stuff I saw. So much so that I wanted to have a go myself :) You'll have to excuse my really poorly optimised UV and the crappy texture, I'm no pixel artist :P, I basically used this project as a way to teach myself some of the basics. I have tried, as best as I can, to use the feedback you have given other newbies to improve my own work.

It's 90 tris with a 128x64 diff with alpha. I guess it would be aiming at 3DS level hardware, but I didn't really have an end use in mind, also it isn't really modelled on anything, it's just a generic car that evolved as I worked on it.

Anyway... I just wanted to show you guys what I made, and to introduce myself really :P C&C is welcome, in fact encouraged really :P I want to learn :p

B8MaN.

My only crit is the text that says LP car etc. I can barely read it ;) Seriously though that's a sweet car, good job. Can't really find anything to crit on it. Also... one week? Damn :poly142:
  • green
    Some cars I did a couple of years ago. Mostly for texture practice purposes. I thought this was as good as any moment to post them.

lowpoly_copcar_animation_by_greensoft.gif
    lowpoly_cab_animation_by_greensoft.gif|
  • mrkoala
    Hi, I´m new here (and in the 3d world) but I love this thread is very inspiring! Here I go with you my humble contribution! C&c are welcome. :)

spglow.jpg
    low_walk_test3.gif
  • premium
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, mrkoala! Welcom to the forum!
    Please repair your links.. :-)
  • sketch81
    mrkoala@ Great model!I love her silhouette and style.

Wicked cars, everyone has really created some great artwork. This thread is fully skills. :)
  • wonderboy
    green wrote: »
    Some cars I did a couple of years ago. Mostly for texture practice purposes. I thought this was as good as any moment to post them.

lowpoly_copcar_animation_by_greensoft.gif
    lowpoly_cab_animation_by_greensoft.gif|

Are your textures based on kennethfejers low poly cars? they look very similar.
    Could you post your texture?
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    ixumanu: your work is great! I loved those characters and weapons! :thumbup:
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, great stuff ixumanu !
    You got some serious texturing skills.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Some 2d stuff, making a little r-type style game mockup in flash for a music video.

Going with doubled pixel scale to make it more pixelly. um

r_type_style_spaceship_by_johnnysix-d4be59o.png
  • mcunha98
  • mrkoala
    sketch81 thanks! your work is very inspiring :D

There are a lot of great works in this thread, congratulations everyone!
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Delko wrote: »
    312vces
    I started this a few months back with intention to put it in Turbo Run, then I decided not to add it to the game and left it half finished. Found it again today and finished it up since theres been so many cars posted on here the past few days.

Ford Taurus SHO?
  • Delko
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    Yup, that car doesn't get much love in the video game world, so I thought id make one.
  • B8MaN
    Hey again,

Urgaffel - cheers man :) I agree about the text though, it lost loads of detail when I made the .gif. I don't even know why I did it that way, I should have just made the little title separate :P

Paradise - Thanks :) think I've got a lot to learn before I can enter any contests though :P Think I'll definitely have a go once I've had a bit more practice :)

I wanted to challenge myself a little harder after the car so I decided I'd have a go at something with a polycount much closer to the limit for the thread :P Anyway, I think it's going pretty well so far, but there is a collection of polys on part of the model that look really ugly. Is there anything that can be done to tidy this up a bit (pics below)? I'd ideally like to keep the model as a continuous solid mesh if possible. Didn't mean to post a WIP, but I'm literally trying to teach myself the absolute basics of this as I go along :P

mfugly.jpg

Cheers for any help you can offer :P
    B8MaN.

Edit: Delko, I f*****g love the art direction of Turbo Run! :) when can I play the damn thing? :)
  • Delko
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    unfortunately not for a while, engine development is slow :(
    {edit} never mind I didn't look at a ref image of the real falcon, my geometry was no good
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    B8Man.

Nothing wrong with showing wip's here.

Honestly I see nothing wrong there. Sure, if you were working on a high poly to sculpt it would be cleaner to keep it all quads. But for a low poly there's no need/benefit. You'd need to add tris just to keep it 'clean', which defeats the point of the low poly in the first place.
  • Esprite
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    falcon.png
    How about this?
  • B8MaN
    Badcog, Yeah that makes sense dude, I just didn't like how it was warping the curvature of the hull though :( I just couldn't place the vertices well enough :(. I eventually settled on this. It's not as efficient and I had to deviate from my reference (a little), but I think it makes that whole area a lot more manageable:

mfbitbetter.png

Just got to add the "dish" and some other finishing touches and then it's on to texturing (I don't like texturing).

Cheers for the input guys :)
  • paradise.engineering
    Offline / Send Message
    mrkoala lovely chick, just lovely, you can't be novice
    ixumanu amazing stuff
    green JohnnySix mcunha98 thanks for sending out peaceful reflections
    B8MaN give yourself more credit! that car was really eatable
  • mrkoala
    paradise.engineering: ;) thx it's really only my fourth or fifth character, I still make many mistakes, but modeling is very addictive and fun!
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Have to model a low poly car for class. Never done this before so any crits welcome! Budget was 750 tris
    challengergif.gif
  • allaze-eroler
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    Have to model a low poly car for class. Never done this before so any crits welcome! Budget was 750 tris
    challengergif.gif

you can save more polies bt removing the edge on the middle of your car :) unless it was intenionnal for a subtle bump ? oh and you can remove the edge on the side too. :)
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I kept the edge in the middle for mirroring when it comes to uvw/texturing. The one on the side is because there is quite an angle change on the actual car and it didnt look right without :p
  • vvheris
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    thing is, it doesnt have the mirrors
  • B8MaN
    Nice car Skillmister!*

Ok, I'm thinking the mesh for the Falcon is just about done. Does anyone have any crits/tips before I start unwrapping and texturing? Final polycount was a shade over 900 tris, 906 i think...

mfdone.png

*edit: haha sorry, just tried to credit somebody else with your work /fail :(
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    challengergif.gif

umm, I think spinning gifs are OK for presentation, but it really makes it hard to give crits.

Pretty nicely done though, lack of mirrors does kind of stand out.

You could probably float the hood scoop, not mirror it, and have enough polys left for mirrors. Also float the headlight/taillight insters and save maybe 16 there?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Got inspired by all the low poly cars.

I dig old trucks so...
    32Ford.jpg
  • B8MaN
    Cute truck Baddcog :)

I have a question though. I had been avoiding having polys "intersecting" one another because I thought that this caused weird artifacts at the point of intersection? Am I off the mark here? If so I could remove a good hundred or so tris from my falcon model just by detaching any of the details on the hull of the ship (vents, the dish, etc.) from the rest of the mesh and allowing them to intersect whatever poly would naturally be underneath them. It's pretty difficult to explain what I mean :/ I might just make a quick *.gif showing what I mean :p

edit. I think I was being a bit stupid about this... I don't even need to make anyting intersect, after playing about I realised I could just sit the vertices slightly above the polygon they were sat on and have a tiny gap underneath that would be so slim it would be near impossible to view at an angle you could see underneath it. I'm still curious as to if/how intersecting polys causes artifacts though... google hasn't been much help, but I think thats because I don't really know how to describe it properly :p
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks B8Man,
    Floating polys is fine, I do it for Radiant, Unity, Hammer, Dromed engines... Some older engines didn't like it (Dromed for example, the conversion program would slice all intersecting polys so a 500tri model could end up 1000 in game).

But most modern engines are fine. Yeah, I was gonna say you could drop quite a few on the Falcon but you said you wanted a sealed hull, which is fine too, just more tris.

And yeah, if you're not getting real close the verts can be just above the mesh, Xnormal acutally bakes much better AO that way. But on some stuff in 1st person you can see through gaps, etc.. and that's bad.
  • diamond3
    Offline / Send Message
    diamond3 polycounter lvl 7
    B8MaN wrote: »
    Nice car Skillmister!*

Ok, I'm thinking the mesh for the Falcon is just about done. Does anyone have any crits/tips before I start unwrapping and texturing? Final polycount was a shade over 900 tris, 906 i think...

mfdone.png

*edit: haha sorry, just tried to credit somebody else with your work /fail :(

I see hemispheres and circles here... We know how well they do optimize: http://wiki.polycount.com/SphereTopology?highlight=%28\bCategoryTopology\b%29
  • B8MaN
    Me again :p

Baddcog, Cheers for clearing that up for me man :)

Diamond, awesome link cheers :) wish I'd just read that before I started :p

I tried to apply some of the advice from that link to my model. I also removed some elements from the mesh and "floated them" and allowed some polys to intersect at places too. The end result was that I could add tons of extra detail and at the same time reduced the overall polycount (cheers guys! :)).

*txt deleted* :p

Sorry if I'm spamming this thread a bit, if I have any further questions I'll post them in the tech talk forums?

*img deleted* :p

Edit. Ok I'm calling this done! :P last pic I post before it's finished I promise :p Final polycount: 856tris :)

MFturn.gif
  • Piesandbombs
    vvheris wrote: »
    1k triangles:
    krillin_low_poly_2_by_vvherislt-d466cc5.png

I'm sorry, I'm not the only one that sees something slightly... Off? With the texture here? Maybe I'm just not mature enough for this one...
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Delko wrote: »
    Yup, that car doesn't get much love in the video game world, so I thought id make one.

Nice. Couple friends had 'em few years back, wicked little cars with gobs of power and no end to the revs.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Piesandbombs - yes we all see the vajajay, we're just polite enuf to not point fingers and snigger....