Home General Discussion

Have you ever fully raged at a game? If so, what game?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
I've had an interesting experience with Monster Hunter Freedom U this last couple weeks and wanted to hear your own humorous but equally disturbing stories on the subject of game inspired fits of psycho behaviour.

I've never been too susceptible to raging whilst gaming, but man... Monster Hunter. Actually broke my PSP through sheer frustration... and I'm 27 next week. I'm ashamed to admit it. I then went straight out and bought another one because I still wanted to beat the challenge (one of the benefits of being old enough to buy your own stuff... you feel the kick in the wallet for your stupidity).

It's only that one game though, I was playing Gran Turismo earlier, constantly attempting some race or challenge or something and didn't even beat it in the end, my stress levels barely raised at all though.

I thought it was interesting how one game can send me raging, yet others which are still maddening, are just a bit of a pain in the arse.

So, share your stories, games, difficult bosses, broken peripherals etc!

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    It was much worse when I was a teenager but it still happends :p

Most recent was Team Fortress 2, Demon's souls and Ninja Gaiden Black which included a lot of yelling, table smashing and controller hurling.

When I was younger and played CS I smashed my keyboard with my fist resulting with keys flying all over my room lol!

It's funny because I only have this behaviour when playing games - my favorite games :s
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Street Fighter Arcade Edition - Ryu and Ken players.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    For the most part, if I start to rage on single player games, I put them down, and typically don't pick them back up for a long while. Multiplayer games though... ><

When I played WoW, often times during raids. Spending 3 hours fighting to a boss only to lose because one person out of 25 wasn't paying attention is absolutely horrible. That was, ultimately, the reason I ended up quitting. That, and it being a monumental waste of time.

TF2... all the time. I find TF2 to be a pretty easy game to grasp, yet more often than not you're stuck on a team of people who stay back/don't push the cart/don't get on the cap after you've taken out sentry nests on your own, killed multiple enemies, etc. Finally, when you lose, your score is double what the other team's best player scored. Not to mention the pocket medics with their buddy who refuse to heal your burning ass, letting you die.

I tend to take multiplayer games a bit more competitively than others, so it's pretty easy to rage when the fail is so strong.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Not to the point of breaking something but like you Monster Hunter 3 was annoying when you're a few hits from killing the best monster and your online stranger teammate dies.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Habboi wrote: »
    Not to the point of breaking something but like you Monster Hunter 3 was annoying when you're a few hits from killing the best monster and your online stranger teammate dies.

I find it worse solo... you spend like 30 mins on a Tigrex, and his big bastard paw just brushes your head and sends you flying and then you just get stunlocked. Actually it's the lack of control thing, I remember in WoW, if a rogue stunlocked me and killed me I'd get wound up because you can't 'do anything' about it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    only game ive ever thrown a controller..... and it happened more than once. usually every time i played it... and that was only a couple years ago

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZbTjucjSU[/ame]
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I only rage when I fail. I don't bad mouth people that suck, I just hate losing. I R disappoint myself ;p

Most notably: League of Legends, WoW arenas (4-5 years ago), and Worms.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    If fucking love this game (and series) but I have never been so fucking angry then playing this game.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliufRd3dEs[/ame]
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    ErichWK wrote: »
    If fucking love this game (and series) but I have never been so fucking angry then playing this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hliufRd3dEs

Man, I recently loaded this one up as it's the only one in the NES series that I haven't beaten all the way through, and I was thinking that in my experience as a gamer now I could do it...yeah, not so much. Lots of swearing at the screen.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    never actually smashed anything, but got pretty angry when I had almost completed tombraider 1 and then win 95 destroyed itself for the umpteenth time and I had to go through it all again.
    I was much angrier in my teens as I played a lot of competitive sport and hated to lose.
    I used to throw things at people lol.

Currently I am getting riled at gears 1 as I keep getting killed in a certain point
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I recently loaded this one up as it's the only one in the NES series that I haven't beaten all the way through, and I was thinking that in my experience as a gamer now I could do it...yeah, not so much. Lots of swearing at the screen.

I beat it. Wasn't easy..but I did it.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I've destroyed at least 2 SNES controllers, accidentally punched myself in the nuts, put more teeth marks in controllers than I care to admit, and busted an SNES. Yeah, I've raged at games :) Not so much anymore, but there was one instance....

A couple years back, I installed Psychonauts cause I'd never played it, and it had good reviews from artists. It was ok, a little frustrating in places, but fun, and the art was great. Then I got to the end bit where some liquid is filling up the place, and you have to jump on things before it touches you. I RAGED at that bit, died a bunch, then uninstalled. Too much rage, too much frustration, it's gotta go. Haven't raged to a game since
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I find I rarely rage at games, but the few that got me were Monster Hunter, Force Unleashed (damn you star destroying in pc version!) and LoL but only at first.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    died a bunch, then uninstalled.

Heh exactly what I do... *Rage, delete game saves, delete game, never playing again*... next day.... *Googles 'Best file recovery software'*
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    basically every game I've ever played. I think I have anger management issues.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    marks wrote: »
    basically every game I've ever played. I think I have anger management issues.

This. When losing due to stupid mistakes i rage pretty bad on any game. Never broken anything though.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Never got to the point of nerd raging or anything but I used to get pretty pissed sometimes in arena matches in WoW, especially during Season 3/4 against drain comps because you'd sit in queue for 30 minutes then get stuck in a match against a drain comp that would take an hour. You'd sit down to play for 2 hours and only end up playing one match.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqxiw7efqE&feature=related

I.. can't handle it...

I hear yeah. Tf2 is the only game i've ever rage quit on. No damage to any controllers as far as i remember.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Counter Strike Source: playing Gun Game. i just get a nade kill and all i need is a knife kill to win, and i get knifed. made me want to throw my mouse and keyboard across the room.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone here ever play APB? We (my friends and I) ended up playing with our webcams set up, just to see the look on each other's faces when we inevitably raged. Fun times.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I hear the snes controllers are pretty hard to break compared to other ones.
    I don't rage much in games, especially not multiplayer games. There's something about there being human players that sort of stops me mentally, I don't want to give them the satisfaction.
    As for single player games I got pretty damn frustrated with Witcher 2. There was this boss with tentacles that kept hitting me despite the tentacles were visually missing me. I guess it was a bug but it was pretty damn annoying. I also got pretty pissed by battles that had 45 enemies attack you at the same time and each of them taking 5 hours to kill. So you end up running from them but you can't jump down from 0,5m cliffs or stairs during battle because that's just how the game mechanics work. I finally quit playing it because I didn't want to risk destroying any of my properties.
  • crazyfingers
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I remember smashing my keyboard several times when playing Trackmania.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Dead Space 2 final boss. I like to just upgrade the crap out of my stuff rather than buy every gun to try out. So apparently she was wayyy easy with a gun I didn't have. After hours of attempts and begging the dead space gods for mercy, I downgraded the difficulty to easy and finished it up. In part why I didn't like the game.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Call Of Duty: World At War, campaign on Veteran.
    Single. Worst. Thing. Ever.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    battletoads...and ninja turtles on nes...all my butthurt experiences with games have been on old 8-16 bit based...once games went 3D I never got upset at them or EVER said "the game cheats" Again

......until ironically like 10 years later when I played the new megaman 9 and got so frighteningly frustrated at one of the levels I blured out "THE GAME CHEATS"

I havent done that since I was 12! lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUz8IT0CYg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD7k4mTThLY[/ame]

He summed up my frustrations well
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kingdom Hearts Sephiroth fight.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    AVP May '99 release on Director's Cut difficulty
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    When I was 14 or 15 I played Day of Defeat quite a bit (never really cared for CS). Yeah, there were some times when I'd get too competitive and wind up swearing and wanting to throw my keyboard across the room. It was my first online FPS game since Quake III (which I didn't play online that much), and I wasn't very good.

I always felt really stupid thereafter, though, and it hasn't really happened since then. If something does annoy me I just do something else. The only games that piss me off these days are Mario games, largely because their mechanics and game design has hardly changed since Mario 64. Sure you've got tighter controls and text you can actually read, but I'm still walking across stuff floating above a bottomless pit for the millionth time. And I pretty much just watch my wife play those.

I've adopted these past several years a pretty simple mentality - if I'm not spending my time in-game having fun, it's probably not worth my money. :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Call Of Duty: World At War, campaign on Veteran.
    Single. Worst. Thing. Ever.

!!! i agree with that completely. i forget which level it was but there was one where you had to take out 3 artillery cannons as you assaulted an endless amount of enemies with little to no cover around, whilst they lobbed endless grenades at you! i spent so much time trying to beat that level.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Actually, I would also say all WoW raids. Hugest waste of time in my life. I still rage about that shit. Spend 4 hours wiping, kill 1 thing, nothing drops. If something does, TOO BAD BRO GOES TO SENIOR GUILDIES.

After a very few short months of that, I quit WoW for aboot 2 years.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Holy crap, Abbadox!! I loved that game. Hard as hell. So was Adventure Island. IMPOSSIBLE end level. Played it all day long twice, and couldn't beat it.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link.

I got the game near launch day, and there's a REALLY stupid fucking epic design fail in there.

There was a town where you had to chop down a tree to discover. And you could not progress in the game without discovering it. Problem was there's like 582904594890 trees in the game, and after you chop about 2, then enemy things come attack you thus resetting all the chopped trees.

We discovered it by complete random fluke (after we'd long given up on ever completing the stupid game).

The actual game was designed in a way, where you had to be in the Nintendo Power club, and get the shitty magazine which came out with this STUPID secret like 8 months after the launch.

Stupid failboat game designers that I hope died of the clap.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Never raged to breaking point. But

Demon Souls.... there was much rage quickly followed by utter determination.

and:
    Kingdom Hearts Sephiroth fight.

This too. zomg.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    6176139427_080e674ccc_z.jpg

THIS BS!!

OMG YES! I raged so hard after so many hours of trying that stupid pixel wide bridge that I quit the game and uninstalled it. I was 12 at the time :p
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Commandos, cooperative
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Super star wars on the snes!!!!!! There's no save feature so you gotta play all the way through in one sitting, got to the final level in the x wing and died right at the end RAGE!!!!!!

Bulletstorm recently when I got stuck in a room on the last level and kept dying, RAGE!!!!

Prince of Persia on ps2 auto saved as I fell through a collision mesh so whenever I loaded it up I was falling through the floor RAGE!!!!!

Sephiroth in kingdom hearts definetly, RAGE!!!!!!! Although elation when I killed him to death haha

Whenever my older brother beats me in games RAGE!!!!!!

Oh and star circus or whatever it's called on the n64 for being the worst game I've ever played
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Ghosts n Goblins for the NES. If you didn't rage at that game then you're made out of pure cold steel. I remember finally beating the final boss after 2 years of constantly trying, only to not get a real ending. That was the day the wall next to my little gaming station got a hole through it.

In recent times it's Modern Warfare 2. Such a fun game for me, but so broken with the quick scoping, tubes, dual g18's and shotguns. Maddening. It's a testament to how much I still like it considering the rage it gives me.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! wrote: »
    In recent times it's Modern Warfare 2. Such a fun game for me, but so broken with the quick scoping, tubes, dual g18's and shotguns. Maddening. It's a testament to how much I still like it considering the rage it gives me.

This ! Omg the rage... I feel my blood boil anytime I think about either of these..
    Its weird though because I didnt feel any rage at all while playing demon souls. I guess when I see its my damn fault I died I can live with it.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    seriously im the only one to rage at battletoads? I thought that was a universal hatred towards it's difficulty ?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I found one or two parts of Halo Reach quite difficult on the second highest difficulty, thats about it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    never raged from a game being too hard, but i have been rageing a bit latley in tf2 when the olny reason why your losing is because A your team is stupid as fuck and cant play the game or B your last point is being capped and %90 of your team is sitting in spawn trading.

oh and people asking me to fucking trade them every 5 mins ussualy makes me jsut leave the server or mute almost everyone on the server.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    I can't believe people are saying Demon's Souls...

It's a wonderfully fantastic hack and slash game at the start, dodge everything and you're fine. Seriously, as long as none of the people with a sword or halberd or anything ever hit you at all, you're golden.

Then when you (spoilers) discover you're the bad guy (/spoilers), it becomes a wonderful bastard simulator, invading people while they wade through the swamp, knocking them off high ledges, etc.

And then you finish them off by taking their soul and making them lose a level.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You might want to hide those spoilers better.

I had teeth marks in my PS2 controller from getting hopelessly stuck in God of War back in the day. It's not a particularity difficult game for the most part but there was some puzzle where you had to massacre a vast number of low level enemies before a crushing wall came through and I got stuck there for ages trying it over and over and over again.

Can't think of anything more recently. I'm generally super calm when playing games no mater how horribly incompetent my TF2 team might be.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqxiw7efqE&feature=related

I.. can't handle it...

Srsly. It's making me want to quit my favorite game. :(
    so. much. rage.

If you get on the mic and try to help the team out...
    "Get on the cart, sentry's down!"
    "Shut up."
    "What!? Just get on the cart man, they're all dead."
    "UMADBRO!?"

Seriously, the whole "art of trolling" in multiplayer games as of late gets me going. And I hate it... I hates it so much. ><
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Geezus wrote: »
    "Get on the cart, sentry's down!"
    "Shut up."
    "What!? Just get on the cart man, they're all dead."
    "UMADBRO!?"

Aw man, I don't play TF2 but that quote rings far too familiar with me. Seems whichever MP game you play nowadays they're infested with those kinda guys.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    I think black was the closest font to the dark gray of the board out of all the ones I tried. It's a 2009 game anyway, and a damn good one. If you haven't played it by the end of the year you're doing it wrong.

With all the TF2 complaints about incompetence, was this mostly around the time it went free and later? Or was the entire team babies since 2007?

I have no idea, I've been playing sniper and spy the whole time.