Home General Discussion

Need an MMORPG, any suggestions?

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Kwramm wrote: »
    hah. We had absolutely no plan back then ... but I guess you know how old those characters are hehe. That's why I left just before everyone packed up to chase the Montreal tax break. But if they have people like you on the team know, this baby should be in good hands. Let's hope they manage to release it some day.

Oh yeah! Had no idea you worked here man!

The outsourcing is a LOT better than it was 5 years ago.
    :D

You should come to Montreal!

The Girls are hot here.

:P

And yeah, it's not linear at all. HUGE open world. And yeah, the animations are being polished too.

:)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Oh yeah! Had no idea you worked here man!

The outsourcing is a LOT better than it was 5 years ago.
    :D

That's the reason I'm not in Montreal ;) I had a great time when I helped to train some of the guys in China. Really looking forward to the release (or a beta?)
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Kwramm wrote: »
    That's the reason I'm not in Montreal ;) I had a great time when I helped to train some of the guys in China. Really looking forward to the release (or a beta?)

When Beta time comes.. PLEASE INVITE ME! :'(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    frell wrote: »
    I really like winding down and spending (some) of my free time immsersed in a beautiful virtual world and I feel its healthy for an artist to do such a thing to keep imagination and creative juices flowing, along with inspiration.

Right now I've been playing WoW a little bit, but the grind is just really not my deal, I liked games with more story based quests like Oblivion, Fallout, and Runescape (good times back in the day). I would have switched to Rift if the game wasn't horribly optimized, I can barely hold it up on low, but I can run crysis on high.

So does anyone play any right now that they'd like to suggest? Free or paid, preferably paid to avoid bad content or RW item shops.

Thanks

If you are looking for any mmo than there is one side scrollar beat em up that I play very often:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQzVf7e1MFw[/ame]

You can find that on:

http://www.nexon.net/

Its a little buggy to start the game from the website these days, so I use Control Panel to start it up:

http://www.superswordaction.com/threads/release-dfo-control-panel.39/
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yes, there is an item shop in EQ2 now. The free to play have different servers than the paying customers. and there isnt anything in the store that really gives ppl advantages. Its all cosmetics, and potions for xp and stuff. But no stats or anything. its really not a big deal. Its better than LOTROs shop. i think.

What makes it different than wow? graphics, classes (there are 24 classes), tradeskill system is better. housing system is amazing. thgouh, when i played wow, there wasnt a housing system. so i cant compare that. but the one in this game is amazing.

and with 300 "talent" points, there really isnt a cookie cutter spec. whcih is my main love.

Mentoring is fun. OP, but fun. It works as intended, but if a level 90 mentors down to a lvl 9, all his skills drop, but are still OP. but he then gets xp from killing lvl 9 mobs again. and the mentoree gets a bonus 10%
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looking for a free-to-play MMO, as I've never played an MMO before; downloaded Allod, thought the little gremlin dudes looked good, but the controls and camera are a disaster, and the three characters (and pet) bunch up too close together and the animation isn't even staggered, and as someone who has never played an MMO, I find the gameplay a little overwhelming :( I'll keep searching.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    City of Heroes is going free to play sometime, I think, this fall. Might keep an eye on that.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Play Wizard101 so you're high enough level for the choice content pumped out by the Polycounter Crue when it hits the inter-webz.

But srsly, it's for kids but the combat is pretty unique if you're tired of face rolling 1-9 on your keyboard over and over again.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Wait for Guild Wars 2 and Firefall.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    "Wait." Heh, when they announce GW2 it better be released 2 days after. I can't believe they put the release date as "when its finished."

Odds are typical game crap theyll announce it and hype it up and make everyone wait for 3 more months just to get more launch sales.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Been addicted to swtor beta. I had so many doubts, yet Bioware absolutely nailed it with this one. It can truly be the "kotor 3" single player experience people cry for, if you want it to be. Yet it also has the ability to be the ideal mmo experience. Fucking fantastic.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I was playin some of the swtor beta this weekend, seemed pretty good, the conversation cinematics do add a lot more than your standard MMO text window for getting quests. the gameplay is pretty much your standard MMO, kill this many enemies, go here and destroy this item etc, but still enjoyable if you like the MMO formula.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    i found something coool !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKJpXZxmyU"]Vindictus Online (Gameplay) - YouTube[/ame]
    Vindictus Online
    its free to play , 100% full action mmo

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavDNE5J4wg"]Vindictus Gameplay - First Look HD - YouTube[/ame]
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    xvampire wrote: »

Ah I'm sure I tried to get that some time ago and it said it america only =/

I'd forgotten about this thread, I've been looking for something I could go on a little. I'm currently trying to get Allods but it seems most of their downloads are broken.

What I'm ideally looking for is something with lots of stats, making your own builds, low exp rates, and maybe not so much focus on quests. Quests are fine but I've played plenty of those, and it really does get tedious where every quest lasts 2mins and is just a massive wall of text telling me to talk to someone else down the road. I've also been looking for an mmo that is viewed from above, isometric of w/e. A lot of things I find that match these parameters have been shut down.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would not get caught up in playing MMO's until after landing a job in the industry if that's the path you're looking to take. If game art is just a hobby you do for some fun, then have fun chasing the lootz!

To pull inspiration from MMO character design you don't need to spend all that time playing, most of that art is available outside of the game. Also most MMO player characters look like someone horked up a bowl of fruity pebbles all over a character thanks to the mish-mash of gear and weapons.
  • Mithdia
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Spending 100s of hours grinding quests is not going to motivated you to become a better artist.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I get what you guys are saying, I should put more into art. I wasn't looking for inspiration or motivation from an MMO though, just something to go on for a bit after working or for a break.

Edit: Oops you guys were meaning the OP, nevermind.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    xvampire wrote: »

Vindictus Online (Gameplay) - YouTube
    Vindictus Online
    its free to play , 100% full action mmo

Vindictus Gameplay - First Look HD - YouTube

This game got boring really fast you know? I was trying to make a Scythe Eve, but I kind of hate how I do the same thing over and over.

I did like the Dungeon fighters online tho. I still play it every now and than.

There are few other mmos that OP should check out. Such as;

APB Reloaded - all points bulletin reloaded
    DFO - Dungeon Fighters Online
    NFSW - Need For Speed World
    LOL - League of Legends
    WOW - World of warcraft
    Champions online
    DC Universe
    Minecraft (Not mmo but it has been played massively with multiplayers online) =\

Vindictus is a good game, I think you should try it, but you will get bored of it really fast if you hate grinding and running the same instances over and over for levels.

When I get tired of studying whatever I am studying and doing in terms of 3d and or game programming learning. I step back and play one of these.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ DC Universe is godly hard some times.

Even at level 30 Solomon could still mash my face in the pavement with ease
    Bizzarro makes me look like cow shit
    And that Egyptian god thing reigns undefeated with 2 or 3 people going at him
    Then theres the back to back hundreds of pvp battles
    And how hard it is to get your hands on tier ANYTHING armor
    DCUO is awesome! wish i would have played it sooner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9aBooolcYE&feature=related"]Tera Online Level 50 Lancer Crabby Dance - YouTube[/ame]
    Heres something im currently raging to play
    Soon....
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Reminds me of Monster Hunter!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Not to sound like a total geek, but I wish there was a high profile studio that would make a Hogwarts MMO.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Not to sound like a total geek, but I wish there was a high profile studio that would make a Hogwarts MMO.

You could always get lego harry potter. There's a lot of grinding in it.