Home General Discussion

Really? This is what we have come to in self-entitlment?

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Love the video. :)

She's got talent. If she works hard, im sure she could get somewhere.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Belias had a ton of goals, but there was no poly-support there!

Lol, true, but he also violated forum policies and continually refused to listen to critique.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    LOL i actually loved her video.

i think there are lot of people in this forum and in this thread who are exactly like her but never made a video about it.

so she get a +1 for the video at least.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The video didn't strike me as being "entitled." It felt a lot more like the creator had her hat in her hand. Yes, it was very naive, and evidenced an incredible lack of knowledge of how the industry works. But that's because the creator herself is young, naive and inexperienced.

Usually, when you see people sneer at the young and naive, it is because those bright-eyed youngsters remind them of just how old, cynical, and jaded they've become. Let them be naive for a little while more. The world isn't going to need your help in enlightening them. It will happen soon enough.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    in terms of "standing out", running through an office naked to apply will get you noticed as well but i doubt it will help you get the job...

I fully agree. Just because you get noticed it doesn't mean it's gonna be positive.

As for why people are feeling threatened/butthurt by this; I think it's the same thing as kids who try to get higher grades by sucking up to the teacher. Sure, he/she might get noticed but there is a reason to why the rest of the kids won't do the same thing. =)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    The best way would probably be to create a game which involves you getting your portfolio to the company.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    But that's because the creator herself is young, naive and inexperienced.

Except she isn't that young (with her page saying university graduate since 07) making her.. ~25 at the least?

Remaining is naive and inexperienced.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I think if she's really willing to do anything to work at Valve then she should get started on learning how to properly and professionally make concept art or CG work.

Maybe somebody should start her off by telling her that.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    Except she isn't that young (with her page saying university graduate since 07) making her.. ~25 at the least?

Remaining is naive and inexperienced.

That said, she's obviously never had an industry job. As such, she is naive and inexperienced regardless of how old she is. Maybe she should be focusing on the quality of her work instead of making a video, but that is beside the point.

I don't see how the video could hurt her chances of getting a gig at Valve. It's not negative attention as it is not offensive in any way that I can see. I really don't see anything wrong with it at all.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    You can be angry after she gets the job..

before then, just shake your head and chuckle.

lol.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    she should just do what everyone is doing on facebook and tag everyone to your portfolio and piss everyone off.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The video didn't strike me as being "entitled." It felt a lot more like the creator had her hat in her hand. Yes, it was very naive, and evidenced an incredible lack of knowledge of how the industry works. But that's because the creator herself is young, naive and inexperienced.

Usually, when you see people sneer at the young and naive, it is because those bright-eyed youngsters remind them of just how old, cynical, and jaded they've become. Let them be naive for a little while more. The world isn't going to need your help in enlightening them. It will happen soon enough.

She graduated in 07 and has 'worked for Apple' since, which I'm assuming means she works in an Apple Store since she has no Apple work in her portfolio.

She's naive and still plenty young to turn things around and get in, but she's had 4 years of photography school and 4 years since to improve her portfolio, neither of which she's done.

She certainly came up with a video she poured some effort into, but I see more people putting in more effort here every day.

I don't understand how anyone would get mad at this but it's certainly worth a chuckle. Unfortunately for her, the chuckle is at her expense, and not her intent.

I wish her the best but fear for her the worst.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    She's got a great attitude and i hope she remains focused on her goal for as long as it takes for her to land this job.

Maybe this vid will get her in contact with some employees at Valve and they can give her some advice and coaching on a path that would get her to where she needs to be.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    It made me think of this, just not as well executed.

"Left aligned my type on my resume"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSFXmGa_Kbc[/ame]
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Why is there a donate button on her portfolio website?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    it could be a sort of tongue and cheek comical video ABOUT people her obvoius lack of Trade skills.
    I see her as just wanting to work for Valve because its valve, not even that she loves Game art all that much.
    shes just a fangirl

And you can be sure that the people who work at valve dont just work their for the status, they've been hand picked for demonstrating their lifelong devotion to what they love.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I liked the video. I don't understand why anyone is mad about this. Not everything on the Internet is there to piss you off.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I too liked the video. If she somehow HAD been hired because of this video despite her lack of skill, I could understand some rage, but I see no reason to be angry over this video. It was cute. And people are free to put whatever they wish on youtube (I mean, certain laws aside).
    So if for some reason it bugs you, move along and search 'cat barks like dog' into youtube and soon you will feel happy again and have forgotten all about it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    brandoom wrote: »
    You can be angry after she gets the job..

and then not at her but at whoever made the hiring decision.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Mediocre content or not, she just got thousands if not tens of thousands of people to look at her portfolio with a minimal amount of effort. That's a very shrewd move. She won't get a job at Valve, but I dare say there's potential for her to get a concept job at some tiny indi studio from this and she's now on a lot of people's radar as that "chick what made that song".
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    So imagine this:

She gets her usual ignore or no from valve, someone tells her that she should pick from polycount or conceptart.org and start hardcore self-studying.

if she:

1: Actually does it and goes into it, for years and work up her skills like many have done here with the goal to work at valve, I will admire her.
    2: Thinks that's too much work or doesn't think she need it, She can go back to apple store and be yet another belias.

That for me would seperate someone wanting and someone REALLY wanting.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    so im like this with double fine studios, you think if I make some video and sing some lovely caring song I will get enough internet hype to have them look at me? :p
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    *Starts writing as song for Hugh Heffner*
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Aw, that was cute.

But, if you want self-entitlement, spend 5 minutes on the steam forums. Holy crap, that place is bad.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    But, if you want self-entitlement, spend 5 minutes on the steam forums. Holy crap, that place is bad.

this is why children should be banned from the internet.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    First off, cute vid though :P

That video did actually make me raise an eyebrow and i'm not normally capable to do that, mark that. The video is cute, but the thing is this (and i might as well be very wrong, of course):

Valve sees that and they chuckle.
    But then they hear stuff like: "I will even clean the toilets for you." and "I would do anything to be able to say 'I work for Valve'."

That does make a very negative first impression IMO.

Then, i'd think the following: "Oh, a fan girl..." I would *maybe* take a look at her portfolio.

*Some weird drawings, tattoos and experience in working at the apple store.

Okay.. How can she be an asset to the production and the team? What has she to offer to the company?

Well, she can tattoo the team.. sure.. and take pictures of them.

Jokes aside, wether or not this is a good way to get hired is not up for discussion, really. To each his own.

But I'm wondering, what exactly does she want to do at Valve?
    At first i thought Concept Art maybe. But she has this typical anim
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    anyone notice her favorite game wasn't a valve game.. lol.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    mommy i want a pony..mommy i want a 3ds...mommy i want a job at valve..
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    HAHA that image is awesome!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I first I saw a poodle, or maybe a pug... Then I squinted and OOoo I see it, hahaha cool.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fully agree. Just because you get noticed it doesn't mean it's gonna be positive.
    I fully disagree. :) Fear of failure will hold you back in life. If you're afraid to fail, you won't take risks, and you won't move ahead in your career as quickly as you should.

She took a chance and I applaud that. Whether it works or doesn't work, she still learns something from the experience.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    No, fear of failure is inadequate here, one should know one's limits and abilities, you cant jump over the grand canyon by foot, even if you tried you would fail.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what position was she applying for
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    seforin wrote: »
    so im like this with double fine studios, you think if I make some video and sing some lovely caring song I will get enough internet hype to have them look at me? :p

yes, depending on what you wear :poly121:
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    super Fupa says spandex or nothign at all!

fat_spandex_00.jpg
  • equil
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I fully disagree. :) Fear of failure will hold you back in life. If you're afraid to fail, you won't take risks, and you won't move ahead in your career as quickly as you should.

She took a chance and I applaud that. Whether it works or doesn't work, she still learns something from the experience.

Nope, exposure isn't 100% positive. There is always a risk of it being negative as well as positive. There are tons of people in Hollywood who want to become movie stars. Some do some pretty extreme things in order to get noticed, many of these are just regarded as crazy among other things.
    Also there is a risk that she won't learn anything from this, like eld already mentioned.

@equil: Anything, I think. She did mention something about even willing to be cleaning their toilets or something.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, exposure isn't 100% positive. There is always a risk of it being negative as well as positive.
    That doesn't refute anything I said. I'm not arguing that all exposure is 100% positive so there's no need to attempt to debate that with me.

What I'm saying is that, basically, without risk there is no reward. Good on her for taking a chance while most others are content to sit back and do their Eeyore routine.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I can think of many more deserving people who need a job :D

Like this guy! http://vimeo.com/19368587

edit: It's cruel really cause people are now attacking her about the size of her chin.

edit2: So I wrote my thoughts on the Kotaku article and it seems I even have the support of a wife of an industry worker. http://kotaku.com/5825478/dear-valve-this-girl-wants-a-job?comment=41399873#comments
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm saying is that, basically, without risk there is no reward. Good on her for taking a chance while most others are content to sit back and do their Eeyore routine.
    While I applaud her pluck and thought the song was cute, she has to understand that there is nothing marketable there in the animation or on her site.

That disconnect, has me wondering if she isn't suffering from some Dunning-Kruger effect or something else that keeps her from seeing the reality of why they aren't calling her in.

E: Why don't you hire me?
    V: Because you don't have any skills that we need?
    E: But I made a funny flash video where I insulted you guys a few times and displayed my below basic understanding of the products you create!?
    V: Yep, it was cute. So you want to make videos for us? Have you seen the type of shorts we make?
    E: Well I can't do that but I could wash your car with my boobs...
    V: Wow ... well first of all thanks for the offer, and second, no, my jag has enough nipple ring scratches thanks.
    E: But I'm just going to keep hounding you until you give in...
    V: /ignore
    E: Hello?

There's a time to put together a funny little animation and get noticed and its not before you have any marketable skills... It was cute, but she put the cart before the horse.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *shrug*

I thought it was cute.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    That disconnect, has me wondering if she isn't suffering from some Dunning-Kruger effect or something else that keeps her from seeing the reality of why they aren't calling her in.

Oh sweet, I didn't know about the Dunning-Kruger effect. I just did a Wiki search on it and it made for quite an interesting read. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) :thumbup:
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was cute as well.

If she had even any 3D work on her website it would have been a somewhat stratigic move. However, that's not the case. Nuff said'?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Cute indeed, and probably a joke considering the completely unrelated portfolio.

But hell, she might get a coffee monkey position out of it or something.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    The real question is - How many of us would quit our jobs, to make coffee at Valve?

[Y]/[N]
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I'm puttin' this shit in my iTunes...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Fruitful tactic, remember this men, when a girl says no three times, make a video for them on youtube.

Express how desperate you are.

Meanwhile at valve:

jpl-process-service-restraining-order.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    The real question is - How many of us would quit our jobs, to make coffee at Valve?

[Y]/[N]
    not me, fat guys dont get along with each other