Home General Discussion

Really? This is what we have come to in self-entitlment?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
It's game related but a point that stings me alot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

Looking at the site here: www.erinvondrak.com

Reply to it which I say stands:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

Really? This is what we have come to? Simply wanting something 'hard enough' is all we need to do to get a job at Valve? I mean really?

I just...gah!

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like a joke to me. Even if it isn't, the song was cute. :) But seriously, why does this bother you?
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    Er, what position is she applying for?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Tell me about it. A fellow kotaku commenter has started a flame war with me as we speak...

http://kotaku.com/5825478/dear-valve-this-girl-wants-a-job?comment=41370094#comments

Maybe I'm a dick. But at least I'm a realist. :/
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    It sounds a little desperate, but who doesn't want to work at Valve?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    well if anything, she's probably now on the Radar. So when she gets good enough and does get an interview based on her ability, she can say "I was the kid who wrote the song about getting hired remember?" and they'll be all like "AWW That was you! hahahah!" +1
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty cute video A for effort :)
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Tell me about it. A fellow kotaku commenter has started a flame war with me as we speak...

http://kotaku.com/5825478/dear-valve-this-girl-wants-a-job?comment=41370094#comments

Maybe I'm a dick. But at least I'm a realist. :/

And that's why I avoid those types of websites now and just go for the news feeds. Everytime I read about this kind of shit ...just, headache.

Too many people who are just ignorant to the realities of this industry. :(

-m
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    The amount of people getting so butthurt over the video on YT is ridiculous. Hahaha, what has this world come to?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn wrote: »
    And that's why I avoid those types of websites now and just go for the news feeds. Everytime I read about this kind of shit ...just, headache.

Too many people who are just ignorant to the realities of this industry. :(

-m

Yeah, I hear ya. I live off kotaku though, it's the only way I know how to keep up with everything! I know it's not the only gaming blog out there, but the trolls are everywhere :poly122: Guess I should know by now what baits them though.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    TerraBite wrote: »
    Er, what position is she applying for?

official valve photographer and tattoo artist? If she gets hired there, then I'm applying at nasa to be the official alien relations manager.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    The video wasn't that bad. I don't really know the hiring conditions for being the ideas guy but leaving an impression is probably high on the list.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cute song but to be honest her portfolio doesn't seem all that great and not videogame centered, just more like random drawings. now i don't know if a i could do better atm but.....ya
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cute, if her skill level ever gets up to their quality level they might show some interest... maybe... But if that link can't get their attention in a "here's your 401-k" kind of way then I don't think some crappy flash animation, however cute it is, will cut it.

She seems like way too much of a gamer trying to get in on love alone... but, that was cute.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    well if anything, she's probably now on the Radar. So when she gets good enough and does get an interview based on her ability, she can say "I was the kid who wrote the song about getting hired remember?" and they'll be all like "AWW That was you! hahahah!" +1

Entirely true, this would be the best ever way to get noticed by valve, too bad she doesn't have any experience or skills in any area whatsoever.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    The amount of people getting so butthurt over the video on YT is ridiculous. Hahaha, what has this world come to?
    Word. I'm still asking myself why this thread was created. :P
    If anything, I found it rather enjoyable to listen to. :)
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I thought it was kind of cool. It reminds me of the story about Tim Schafer creating a comic about himself applying for and getting the job at Lucasarts, instead of a traditional cover sheet.

Thought that man is talented.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    While the video is cute and I shouldn't bothering with this, did anyone take a peek at her website?

We all dream of working in a high place like Blizzard or Valve or any other company we aspire to, but her entire euphemism of "I'll do anything" *wink, wink* while keeping a little many too seconds on 'tentacles' shorts doesn't help but come off as desperate.

Also, am I the only one who find this paradoxic on how she created a video and had the potential of a video animation, and instead went for stills, this is VERY LAZY? The time spent on this video could have gone to her work.

Her 2D artwork is something you expect to find in a sketchbook, alongside her Tattoo artwork, which is art that could be easily traced from sugar skin paper, that's not skill Valve or ANY game company is looking for unless they all plan being tattooed the HL logo.

Also for photography, do I need to remind you guys of this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47465&page=92

She applied a total of 3 times, it just scratches me the wrong way, I know good guys in the industry being dumped or duped for mild reasons, or not getting hired even when they have amazing portfolios.

She should be well aware of her skillset and improve if she didn't get a callback from said company, I think improving yourself if you don't get callback is really the drive for us to become better, trying 3 times with the 'same' portfolio isn't going to change much, and making a begging video is just crazy idiotic and naive.

Who knows, she might one day get the job and improve and have a nice laugh about it, but really? Simply making a begging video and not even putting in any effort? Just how self-entitled have we become to believe we can get a job without any effort?

Sorry for the rant, but this really stings for me. No effort to join ANY workplace is what stings me.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Remember the dude who dressed as a storm trooper to drop off his resume at epic games? He got the job in the end :)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who fucking cares? The most unsettling thing about this thread is that you feel compelled to act like some strangers father and tell her she's never going to get anywhere and acting like an entitled naive child because she made a youtube video that gained popularity.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting butthurt over the video is one thing. Getting butthurt over other people's butthurt is just silly. AND NOW IM GETTING BUTTHURT OVER PPL GETTING BUTTHURT ABOUT THE BUTTHURT
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9

a pile of poo.:)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH GOD ITS A VICIOUS CYCLE
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Who fucking cares? The most unsettling thing about this thread is that you feel compelled to act like some strangers father and tell her she's never going to get anywhere and acting like an entitled naive child because she made a youtube video that gained popularity.

Maybe people should care, there's a whole generation of people going "I will do anything, absolutely _anything_ if I can work here and there", that attitude is bound to affect everyone in the industry.

More importantly: she's got something on her head!!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why is anyone threatened by this?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Really? This is what we have come to in self-entitlment?

WHAAAAAT? She just made a video about wanting to work at Valve. How is that feeling entitled to anything? She didn't demand a job cause shes bought like every Valve game eveeeer. Its just a nice, maybe cheesy video. If anybody has a problem with that video, get over yourselves.

This doesnt even deserve a thread. At all.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Maybe people should care, there's a whole generation of people going "I will do anything, absolutely _anything_ if I can work here and there", that attitude is bound to affect everyone in the industry.
    Not following you, why is this going to affect everybody?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FREE BLOWJOBS??
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Not following you, why is this going to affect everybody?

Everyone struggling to get into the industry will be competing with people who will do anything and get paid less than you, not every company can hire talent and pay well, or will pay well.

Nothing is wrong with people getting a reality-check and re-evaluate their position, and strive to become a better more skillfull worker that is hired on exactly that, and not on how much they'll do "anything"

I'm not personally worried, or troubled by the video, as I said, it's too bad she doesn't have the skillset because it's a great way to get noticed and stick out.

I'm just saying that attitude does affect things, even is slightly.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gaming industry is already filled with people like that and that's never going to change. It's not a "new generation" it's more of the same.

The only thing special about this case is that the girl made a popular youtube video.
    Nothing is wrong with people getting a reality-check and re-evaluate their position, and strive to become a better more skillfull worker that is hired on exactly that, and not on how much they'll do "anything"
    Except that's not really what he did, he started a thread on polycount to judge a stranger amongst other strangers and didn't offer any critique until it started backfiring when no one else turned out to be as upset as him.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The gaming industry is already filled with people like that and that's never going to change. It's not a "new generation" it's more of the same.

The only thing special about this case is that the girl made a popular youtube video.

Except that's not really what he did, he started a thread on polycount to judge a stranger amongst other strangers and didn't offer any critique until it started backfiring when no one else turned out to be as upset as him.

Not sure, this thread has become butthurt-fest.

I guess everyone has their venting-point though.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread started as a butthurt fest man :) But yes I suppose so.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Haha, that song was actually pretty funny :)

I don't see anything wrong with it; looks like she's willing to take any super-entry-level job and doesn't except to give out orders. Hell, if I had a company and was looking for someone to make coffee, I would rather give that kind of job to someone who truly loves its games. And who knows, maybe she does have some potential and just needs someone to push her in the right direction.

Chances are, that I would have ended as that "idea guy" myself had I not stumbled upon this forum and realized that I need to get my shit together. I always had the passion to work in games, but gaming blogs like Kotaku give young people the wrong idea of what the industry is like.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Why is anyone threatened by this?

^this.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of ambition. better than moaning about being in a rut.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    This whole thing just reminds of me that one study they did with a bunch of kids.

I can't remember exactly how it went, but I think they asked a young group of kids what they wanted to be when they grew up. Instead of the old classic answers such as police officer, fireman, astronaut, teacher or what have you - the majority said they wanted to be "celebrities". Not movie or music stars, but celebrities.

I'm not even 100% sure why it reminds me of that, but it does.

In any case, song was cute.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's cute and it's certainly more memorable than what most applicants do. She may not get the job but I give her credit for trying something new. Standing out is one of the hardest things to do when you have zero industry experience.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know, I'd consider hiring her. She was motivated enough to write and compose a song, illustrate and animate a music video for it, and post it on-line. Her portfolio may not warrant an artist position at the moment, but she strikes me as having the kind of attitude and creativity that might fit in at Valve.

Being able to bring a creative project to completion is one of the more valuable qualities that a person can have in the games industry. Also, she has a pretty nice voice. I'd at least give her an interview.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    FREE BLOWJOBS??
    Your hired!

OT:
    Hire her as a voice actress???

Would she be just as satisfied if she dated someone that worked for Valve? lol
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    After watching that video, I was confused. Reminds me of this:

3prAG.jpg

I kept waiting for her to say what it is she actually does...or could contribute.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    Everyone struggling to get into the industry will be competing with people who will do anything and get paid less than you, not every company can hire talent and pay well, or will pay well.

I'm not personally worried, or troubled by the video, as I said, it's too bad she doesn't have the skillset because it's a great way to get noticed and stick out.

I'm just saying that attitude does affect things, even is slightly.

This is true. But at the same time I think this more a function of management than those applying for positions. I think the video game industry is currently a little too insular for its own good, and hasn't really come to grips with the hiring process the way other industries have. If management is more stringent in hiring and maintaining quality talent, (instead of hiring eager inexperienced students and firing experienced, more expensive talent) then it won't really matter how many bright-eyed youngsters apply and get turned down.

And as video games become a more regular, accepted part of our culture, the enthusiasm for working in the video games industry is only going grow. In a way, all of this fresh talent looking to get into games is a positive sign. It shows that this medium is becoming culturally ubiquitous.

Besides, getting a "wake up call" is a part of everyone's life. Anyone who does get into the games industry is pretty much assured of that life lesson. And when it hits, they either suck it up and prove they have what it takes, or they leave for a different industry. No one really gets a free ride in a business as competitive as the games industry. (except high-powered executives, but no one likes them anyway)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Mcejn wrote: »
    This whole thing just reminds of me that one study they did with a bunch of kids.

I can't remember exactly how it went, but I think they asked a young group of kids what they wanted to be when they grew up. Instead of the old classic answers such as police officer, fireman, astronaut, teacher or what have you - the majority said they wanted to be "celebrities". Not movie or music stars, but celebrities.

I'm not even 100% sure why it reminds me of that, but it does.

In any case, song was cute.

Ah, yeah it did, maybe because of this:

"There's nothing that I wouldn't do to say I work for valve when people ask"
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    THIS IS WHY WE CANS NEVER HAS NICE THREADS AROUND HERE!

:(
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't care either way. In almost every profession these days, applicants really do have to try and separate themselves from their competition in one form or another.

In this case, she has done just that. If she finds herself applying for a job at a Valve, and her qualifications/skills are good enough to seriously be considered, the video bodes well for her in my opinion.

It demonstrates that she, at a minimum, knows what Valve has done in the past, and is probably aware of any other information Valve releases to the public. These are both GOOD things when it comes to applying at a specific company.

I'm really not sure where the problem is. If she sucks, and can't offer Valve anything, they simply won't hire her.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    in terms of "standing out", running through an office naked to apply will get you noticed as well but i doubt it will help you get the job...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Man you guys are a bunch of fucking haters. Who cares, she made a cute video of wanting to work for Valve. Stop getting bent out of shape.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Besides, natural selection won't allow that (kawaii deviantart experience is a no-hire)

Though, if she does get in, prepare for the masses of 'me too' children. Peer pressure. "Ponies" wanting jobs. This is the real potential problem here.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting worried about Polycount :(
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can you hate on someone for having a goal and trying to obtain it? Sure, maybe it's not the best method, but it's not like it's hurting anyone.

Also, between that video and her site, I've seen more completed work from her than I have from some of the people bitching in this thread.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    SeanEG wrote: »
    How can you hate on someone for having a goal and trying to obtain it? Sure, maybe it's not the best method, but it's not like it's hurting anyone.

Also, between that video and her site, I've seen more completed work from her than I have from some of the people bitching in this thread.

Belias had a ton of goals, but there was no poly-support there!