Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(NSFW) Demons: A Personal Art Project using the UDK

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Gooner442 wrote: »
    dagger handle certainly has more interest but I think it reads poorly as a silhouette, it looks a bit wonky whereas a dagger is normally flush with the handle, why not go for something a bit more outlandish?..

It's not a dagger, though. So I'm wondering if my concept reads wrong? It's supposed to be a massive broadsword (the human skull at the end is an actual human skull). I actually want it to look less dagger-like. The idea of this sword is to be a cross between a tool of war and a meat-cleaver. It's crude, its brutal but it's effective. Is my current concept reading like that?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If you want the handle to curve, it should curve the other way. Away from the sharp edge.

There's a reason falchions, scimitars, katanas, and cutlasses's grips are all set on the same curve as the blade -- Imagine swinging this quickly and rapidly, it's weirdly off balance. Function matters a lot for weapons, their anatomy and personality is all about how they're used. If you're dead set on wanting something brutish and awkward with these unusual, awkward shapes, it should probably not be a sword, exceptionally high skill, high finesse weapons are not suited to weird disjointed shapes.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so more like...

NajnoBroadsword3.jpg

that?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely looks more swingable!

Man, do you do any thumbnails or sillhouettes of these concepts? For the characters and the weapons, with the wild/demonic style you're shooting for it may help you to loosely throw around a bunch of ideas instead of chiseling away at one concept that may or may not work.

http://ljht-fmp.blogspot.com/2009/03/skillful-huntsman.html
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a good point, I've never really done that kind of low-level concepting work before... it looks quite effective to establish basic form. TO THE DRAWING-CAVE, ROBIN!
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the misconception of the weapon as a dagger is mostly due to the width to length ratio of the blade, as well as the ratio of the length of the blade to the length of the hilt. It seems to fat and short. Lengthen the blade out a few inches to give it more of a sword like feel.

Neato concept though (for the overall project), seems you've put a lot of thought into it. Cheers!
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    agree with what the others are saying, for a weapon like this you could really quickly throw together a number of silhouettes, then post them here, also the concept makes more sense, not looking so 'wonky' - technical term
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sils.jpg

Here is my first attempt, however I think I may need some help with this...
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    In my mind number 4 looks the most painful.
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    1 and 4 definitely seem the most fitting for the character/specie.
  • Fo062
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fo062 polycounter lvl 8
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 4 it is then!

also, I think I got pagef*cked on my last char concept on page 2. I'll repost here just to be annoying(and to see if there is any juicy crit I can absorb!

Staiconcept.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NajEdit.jpg

more work on mr. Najno. I moved/reduced his deltoids and got rid of their unnecessary crease, I fixed up the forearm a bit, and beefed up his chest significantly.

Crits are welcome, in fact I WANT THEM. BADLY.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I would personally make him slightly less bulky and just more mean lookin ... get some pinks and blue's in the skin and MAAAAAAAAAAYBE even some stains? blood?
    anyway a SUPER quick paintover type thing to hint at what i mean ;o

monsteebloood.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb wrote: »
    I would personally make him slightly less bulky and just more mean lookin ... get some pinks and blue's in the skin and MAAAAAAAAAAYBE even some stains? blood?
    anyway a SUPER quick paintover type thing to hint at what i mean ;o

monsteebloood.jpg

Hey, that definitely looks cool, but this is more of an art style suggestion. You have a good idea there. Maybe you can make some wicked demons of your own, I promise I won't take legal action ;) . Also, my demon looks quite pale in Zbrush, mostly because a lot of his colour comes from post-comps and shader effects. His bulkiness is a result of his size. 15 foot tall demons need a lot om muscle to move around. My smaller demons will resemble your sketches a bit more.
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The things i see that make the paintover feel more appealing to me are the more agressive angles. You can incorporate those without losing the bulky look you're going for. Also as it stands, (excuses about the zbrush lighting etc aside) is that he is extremely monochrome. Instead of having varying hues in the cavities/shadows which can make for a much more visually appealing/interesting look it's currently just different values of the same hue which makes for a very bland looking skin.

good work so far, keep it up :)

edit: this is a good example that just happened to be on the banner :P header-spitty.jpg the purple under the eyes and different hues in the scars and wrinkles make it look much more alive and less plastic.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The aggressive angles are cool, but I'm not quite sure how to implement them with regards to the Najno demon. I don't want to sound like the guy who doesent take suggestions, but trust me: The other demonic races (more specifically the Stai, concept above) will look quite similar to the paintover by Razorb.

I understand exactly where you're coming from in terms of the varying hues. The only two problems I have with going nuts with scars, pimples and whatnot is that I don't want to add detail for details sake, I also want this particular character to be a 'reoccurring enemy' within the hypothetical game, thus each Najno will have the same butt-pimple... though this is a personal art project based on a game idea, so its not an actual game, and in theory I can re-detail multiple 'instances' of the various demonic races... I don't have a deadline or anything, so why not try some new stuff out?

So, in short: I just had an argument with myself. I'll experiment with some hue-tacular detail painting and see how I like it. THANKS GUYS
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NajnoBroadsword4.jpg

Got around to drawing up broadsword silhouette #4 on paper. What do you think?

EDIT: I drew some random concepts, didn't want to start another thread, so I'll post it here. It still counts as a demon, so thread-relevant.

Nutklu.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    najmayapose5.jpg

Got the new body in maya with baked textures.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new sword is cool! Solid concept. Razorb is very right about the paintover, and even if it doesnt fit your vision (which is totally valid!) you need to think about why it's so much more visually interesting and powerful than your current demon. You can take his critiques -- that there's a certain awkwardness and lack of menace in your demon -- without following his exact suggestions. How can you add the same kind of visual interest he did while maintaining the idea of a big, bulky, brutish demon?

I'm not saying this to tear down your work, which is pretty good, just wanna chime in as another voice and say how important it is to listen to and find ways to incorporate the ideas of artists as skilled as razorb when they take the time to help you out for free.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    The new sword is cool! Solid concept. Razorb is very right about the paintover, and even if it doesnt fit your vision (which is totally valid!) you need to think about why it's so much more visually interesting and powerful than your current demon. You can take his critiques -- that there's a certain awkwardness and lack of menace in your demon -- without following his exact suggestions. How can you add the same kind of visual interest he did while maintaining the idea of a big, bulky, brutish demon?

I'm not saying this to tear down your work, which is pretty good, just wanna chime in as another voice and say how important it is to listen to and find ways to incorporate the ideas of artists as skilled as razorb when they take the time to help you out for free.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope I don't come off as ignoring the above critiques and suggestions: I couldn't express the value of the help given here. The current model wouldn't even be half as good as it is without the brutal honesty expressed by the members of this forum. The truth is that I spent a couple of hours to try and add that 'zing' expressed in the paintover but honestly I couldn't find a groove! I wasn't lying when I stated that I simply don't know how to integrate it. I actually feel a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I feel like this particular demon is at a dead-end: any changes I make to the sculpt, texture, or smaller details just end up detracting from the work already done. I think the problem is mine: so I'll give it another stab, but if I still can't figure a way to improve the current sculpt, I'll just call it done and start on the next model: use the experience and advice to improve the next one. so don't think I'm trying to ignore razorb's advice: I'm just may have to use it on my next demon, not the current one.

Edit: hey, do you think the problem is with the overall concept, or is it isolated to the model?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, Spark and I were just talking about modeling and texturing cock and balls, and then to my surprise, I stumbled upon this thread.

Coincidence? I think not.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NewFACE.jpg

After taking a breath, I took a stylus to Mr.Najno's face. I'm trying to help fix THIS problem:
    SupRore wrote: »
    there's a certain awkwardness and lack of menace in your demon -- How can you add the same kind of visual interest he did while maintaining the idea of a big, bulky, brutish demon?

I'm hoping I'm on the right track...
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    this is hilarious
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    ps. if they are demonic they should have huge horse-like cocks

terrifying
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I think the demon looks pretty cool, what I don't like is the pallet, that kind of yellow/brown. Some variation would be nice, just whack it on in photoshop or spray it on in zbrush, maybe some more red hues, and just throw a few odd colours in there too. Back in my days as a painter I would throw all sorts of colours onto a painting, one day it was green, the next pink, I was often asked why it was pink/blue?...in the end they all work together... example of one such painting...

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v184/121/95/8089044815/n8089044815_527570_8007.jpg

...also showing a bit of cock :\
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps you already have this image, but it has nice variation and is seriously menacing

191_large.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    najskin.jpg

Changed the base skin around a bit...

am I on the right track here?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Definately. The added tones are really helping. I'd suggest trying to get some subtle blues into the recessed areas and the shadows in general. Solid progress, keep it up!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NewFACE2.jpg

I've added some asymmetrical scars, expressions as well as bumped up the colour.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Guys. It's demon. It' cant look like human. Unfortunetly to much human in him, to less demon.
    Otherwise, very cool work.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Guys. It's demon. It' cant look like human. Unfortunetly to much human in him, to less demon.
    Otherwise, very cool work.

I don't think anyone wants it to look human per-se, they just wanted it to have anatomy that makes physical sense, which I appreciate.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    najfixup.jpg

Trying to remove 'awkward' and replace with 'awesome'

- Made his calf/foot proportions more animal-like
    - Elongated his arms
    - Added more 'oomf' to the ass
    - beefed up his hooves

I plan on re-painting his body and adding more colour, and maybe add some spiky, calloused skin on his shins, feet and forearms. for now: time for bed!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a bit of a break from char modelling and played with the environment a bit.

environment.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    big update

"finished" working on my environment. The terrain/ landscape is a bit screwed (thus the upward camera angles), but I'll sort that out in due time. I'll do more later, I'm just happy with its current state for now, I plan on doing a more medieval style environment later, so don't think this is it..

environment2.jpg
    environment3.jpg

I've really tried to take the criticism I've recieved on the najno demon, I'm trying to bump up his 'awesome'. I Took some of the areas that were a bit bland and started adding 'thorns'. Eventually I just decided to add thorns in place of hair. I've only coloured in the right leg, just to show what the thorns will look like. I also added some thorns to his brow and jaw, it makes him look like he has a beard, which I kinda like. opinion? I also made his mouth more ape-like.

najwip7.jpg
    NajWIP62.jpg
    najwip62.jpg
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ho shit. This last update looks very very good.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    KazeoHin wrote: »
    I don't think anyone wants it to look human per-se, they just wanted it to have anatomy that makes physical sense, which I appreciate.

Hmp. Deamon = magical creature = human physical sense do not apply.

Don;t get me wrong, but more it look bad for human eye the better demon it is. At least what I think about such creatures :D.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    @Iniside, if the creature is going to have a physical sense and use a standard form (ie: skin, bones, muscles, tendons) then it will need to make sense. I'm sure you can make up whatever in your head, but for this to read on a quick and attractive level to a larger audience, then it will need to make sense quickly and easily.

On to the crits!
    I'm really liking the thorns, makes him look like so much more than a naked dude with a mask. I know that this is a sculpt, but I think that your last low-poly was lacking a bit of specular flare. The sculpt and diffuse were solid, but with some contrast in specularity, I'm sure you can make this pop. He doesnt need to be shiny all over or anything, but on landmarks like his teeth/gums, eyes, thorns (maybe), hooves, a bit of specular love couldn't hurt.

Quick and sloppy paintover:

NajWIP62.jpg

As far as making more badass, the thorns already make him look more stand-offish, but a stronger stance, and some small edits should do it

najwip7.jpg

1. Make his chest pop out, give him some pride and swagger.

2. His arms look a bit out of place, and the shoulder looks huge, the main reason is that in comparison to an average human, his arms are way down. I would suggest moving the arm up a bit and shrinking the shoulder. this would make it make more sense anatomically, but allow you to keep his huge neck and the majority of the shoulder mass.

3. A lot of the muscles / bones on this guy are kind of straight edge. Like his arm from front view is almost conical. Giving the arm more dynamic lines, adding a bit of an arch to his back, pushing his chest out, and giving a curve to his bones will help out a lot on stance / visual interest.

4. The hands look a bit flat/thin. Your hand is naturally like a cup, if you relax it, it curves. Try to put that into the sculpt, that will make it look so much more natural when in motion.

5. The hooves look boring, you could make them either a different shape, or maybe add some cracks, wear and tear, chips and such.

The environment is looking sweet, sounds like you will be back on it, but def. give it some smaller stones / points of interest.

I'm really digging most of the other edits you have done so far, and most of what I said is opinion, you can take or leave what you want without much consequence.
    Good job on doing something different :thumbup:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Renamed the thread.

Feel free to report a thread to us if something is posted that's NWS. No infractions will be given that aren't necessary, but we'll add NSFW in the thread title at the very least.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I loled. I think clothing might not be a bad idea just to take the attention away from the dick(lol)

Its not something you expect to see so it kind of draws your attention away from a really interesting and evil looking face you made. I think a loin cloth or even some bloody torn up jeans to show a little bit of human emotion could be something worth exploring. The nice thing about some light clothing is that it lets you easily create diversity among a group full of these monsters.

Just my thought.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Shrew: I've gone in and implemented quite a lot of what you suggested, and it looks great. I'll post some shots later, but right now I really want to finish up the horns before I show another shot. The only thing I've chosen to leave out is the hands: they are meant to be more 'creature' like and less human. In fact, in one of the previous updates i purposefully elongated the hand to look more monkey-like. but as I said before: everything else I've taken and its looking great. Thanks beyond thanks!

Also with the environment, You are spot on: it needs some small details and points of interest, I'm most likely going to re-mesh the whole thing, right now its using over 300 instances of about six small rock meshes, which gives it a REALLY repetitive look. Here is a quick paintover showing what will (most likely) be the final product:

environmentpaintover.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    The beer bellies make them look way less intimidating. I know ur trying to make them look grotesque, but as a result ur making them look more disgusting and less intimidating or scary. Toughen them up a bit.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    najwip8.jpg

The change in material is not important, I simply used this mat to bring out some small details for modelling, and forgot to change back. How's my progress (or digress) so far?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally id lighten up the thorn/spikes a bit and make em somewhat blend abit with the body. just my preference though
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand what you mean, Though that sort of thing may be easier to adjust at the texture level once the model is out of Zbrush. I'll definitely try many colour combinations to see which ones 'pop'.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Hi there Kazeo, this project has been really fun to follow.

I was wondering; you seem to be focusing a great deal on the history and anatomy of these creatures, which gives the impression that they're not shape-shifters. This form wasn't specifically chosen by them. With that in mind I'd take the time to consider why the demon's horns extend back so far and at so extreme an angle.
    KazeoHin wrote: »
    najwip8.jpg

Most straight horns jut straight up, have a bit of a forward curve and then sweep back. A Deer's horns actually do the opposite and swing forward, acting as a barbed ram, and a goat's horns spiral around, providing a lump at the top of the head before extending down to protect the neck and the side of the face. In all the cases the horns are used in mating fights with other males, while in the case of the deer and goat they're also used as protective measures.

What I'm getting at is that your Demon's horns jut backwards very strongly and at an angle that would be poor for head butting during any sort of mating or bonding ritual. In their current configuration they look more like a cage designed to protect the back of the head and the nape of the neck. The multi-jointed leg makes it clear that these creatures evolved off of a four legged animal that decided to try standing up, so consider it's posture in a four legged position, with its head tilted back and pointing forward. Those horns would form a considerable defense over the head, neck, and upper back. Why would it need that arrangement unless there was something to protect there?

Long story short, consider removing the spines that would be covered by the horns if the demon was walking on all fours, as they wouldn't have needed to spend the energy growing them there. Also consider thinking of a way to make the flesh in that area look a bit more vulnerable, maybe a pinker hue, softer, more a broad, soft specular shine or the addition of noticeable veins. This would indicate that the horns serve a purpose of protection, instead of just looks and it could lead to some interesting cultural elements. In example, if one demon is socially superior to another, the weaker would be required to kneel and look down in their presence, effectively raising their horns and exposing their neck to attack. Kind of like how a dog exposes it's belly to a rival to indicate submission.

Anyways this is going on long enough but I hope you think about some of these evolutionary elements as it will breath more believably into these creatures no matter what direction you take them in!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey stinkhorse: I'm super pumped about your info: mostly because you are one of the first people to have a look at these demons in the same way I created them. I wish I could go on and explain why the demons look like they do and whatnot: but I don't want to bore you too much.

The horns: You have a huge point when it comes to the horns. Especially with the Najno (the current one I'm working on), The horns don't make much evolutionary sense. I designed their horns specifically for artistic sake: silhouette and whatnot. I did take some time in reasoning out the 'why' whith regards to the story, though: my fiction's reasoning for these horns are based on their race and what certain races mean within hell.

HornLayout.jpg

Please excuse this quite ugly reference chart: I have made others but I couldn't find them quickly, and I don't have much time, so I drew this one up as fast as I could.

The Najno demon's horns form a sort of 'crown' around his skull. His horns are more for show. Longer, straighter horns are more impressive and command more respect. As the most common of the 'noble' races, the Najno must represent the Demonic chain of command with dignity. Though sexual selection has nothing to do with their evolution (females=slaves), societal selection dictates the Najno's horns.

The spines (as you may know if you follow my thread, thanks by the way!) were added recently as an afterthought. I really like the look of them, but you are right: they don't make much sense: however I got numerous comments on the lack of 'oomph' my demon had visually. I tried things like stripes, boils, scales and a variety of spines and spikes to add visual interest in a realistic way and settled on these thorns: they don't effect the silhouette much and add a bit a bit of an 'armoured' look to him.I'll play around with removing some towards the centre of his back and see if it changes things.

As for the horns, they are something quite easy to change around in maya, I will play around with some of your suggestions and see what I like, unfortunately for my Zbrush modelling, they will have to stay where they are: they don't really get in my way much now and moving them around will be a pain. So understand that my next few sculpt updates may not have altered horns, however once I finalize my sculpt and bake the normals, I'll go wacky with them. Some of my early concepts for the Najno had horns that curled like a ram's. we'll see!

Thanks as always! Crits are awesome!
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. I'm glad you looked over my suggestions. I think the spines are visually a great element as they add a lot of menace to that guy so yeah don't lose them completely.

As I was mentioning earlier with the horns the way they are the creatures likely wouldn't have displays of strength by striking one another head to head. I could see fierce wrestling matches though, very bloody to what with the spines gouging and rending the skin of whoever tried to get a good hold on their opponent. Their skin would have to be remarkably tough to come away with anything less then severe lacerations. The palms of their hands would almost be like leather.

Keep going with this project, it's been really fun to follow.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arms look a bit short
    stomach still doesn't look right
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Necro Thread time! I've decided to step back into this universe for now. How far will I go? who knows.

I've begun a Sculptris model of 'Kurr', A sort of celebrity Demon in charge of a large army. His official title is 'Korandas Kurr' meaning 'General Rage'. Unlike my Najno demon, Kurr is unique, and unlike my Najno, I'm sulpting most of Kurr in Sculptris and then moving on to Zbrush for more fine details.

WIP2.jpg