Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(NSFW) Demons: A Personal Art Project using the UDK

Replies

• Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why is he circumcised?

i like the attention you gave the musculature for a 4 armed biped, but the proportions need adjusting. you've got the lower set of arms attached properly for a normal biped, and it gives the upper arms, and head this kind of "pasted on" look. may be lengthening the abdominal section and lowering the underarms might help.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    He isn't circumcised: the skin is just pulled back...

but seriously: I get your point. I'm finding it hard to get two sets of arms to look 'natural', I'll play around with proportions and see what I can accomplish.

I did some more work on just fleshing out the details, no textures yet, as with Sculptris, textruing is a one-way street.

KurrRendface1.jpg

1080rend2.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think the biggest problem is the fact that the lower arms are way too beefy and there is no neck. You should take a look at this stuff on the sculpts in John Carter http://pixologic.com/interview/john-carter/legacy/1/. Here is one of there anatomy breakdowns.

anatomy.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is super cool, and that is one heck of an interview! I'm going to go try some things out! Thanks for this reference.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm working more on that model and configuring GoZ to try and toss the model back and forth between the programs, but no luck. I've got an excerpt from my old Demons story bible here that might be entertaining...
    The Seven Generals
    There are many who control the various parts of the machine-like government that exists in Hell. Some are great warriors, Some are unequalled intellectuals, Some are undeniable politicians. Of the many who keep the process rolling, there are seven favourites among The Lord known as The Seven Generals. Each General represents a cardinal sin: Wrath, Pride, Greed, Gluttony, Lust, Envy, and Sloth. The Seven Generals are not the most important governmental figures, nor are they the most popular (even among each other), but they have been chosen by The Lord to sit in the inner circle of leadership. The term 'General' is merely a show title; their tasks and intentions are often those of a secret society. These seven demons control much more than what their 'known' titles would indicate. They all have won favour with The Lord in one way or another, but the seat of one of The Seven Generals is not permanent: they must continually earn the respect of Dieasel Gut, The Lord, or else they may be given a violent dismissal.

Korandas Kurr: The Military General of Wrath.
    A fierce military leader known to the demon people simply as 'Kurr'. His name strikes fear in his enemies and reverence in those who stand behind him. His passion for war and intimidating figure have earned him a long list of bloody victories. Kurr serves as the military ambassador for The Lord, helping to keep the rowdy demonic armies faithful to the cause. If there are rumours of a disobedient or rebellious demon among the ranks of The Lord's soldiers, Kurr is the one who makes him disappear.
    Description: Kurr is a massive, four-armed demon with three prominent skull horns forming a steep 'V' from his brow. He stands shoulder to shoulder with an average Najno, but carries nearly three times the weight due to his musculature.

Draggard Kestrel The Celebrity General of Pride.
    A gladiator and hunter who has undeniable rapport with all castes of the demonic people: Kestrel lives a public life as a champion of many regional fighting arenas. In more civilised communities, Kestrel participates in organised hunts, often giving him the opportunity to spread his charm among the higher society. His debonair, diplomatic demeanour are tools used by The Lord to influence the minds of the lower castes and keep a finger on the pulse of the noble races. In the arena, on the hunt, or on the streets: nothing seems to sway the calm, collected attitude of Draggard Kestrel.
    Description: Draggard Kestrel is a centaur-like four-legged demon with only two, short skull horns forming a vase-shaped head-on silhouette. He stands several heads taller than the average Stai demon, and has sharp, knife-like protrusions jutting out in single-file from the small of his back down his spine to his horse-like flank.

Kreed The Wealthy General of Greed.
    Little is known about how Kreed amassed his vast wealth, but nearly everyone knows of it's total influence. Kreed has a significant share in any lucrative venture in the Demonic economy; his endorsement is seen as a sign of The Lord's favour. His vast fortune is also used as a weapon, any organised group who poses a threat to The Lord's efforts may find their associates and partners receiving sabotage-inducing bribes or tempting counter-offers from unknown sources. Kreed is rumoured to have over 1000 cows within over a dozen temples.
    Description Kreed is a member of the ancient dragon-like Najnikoro race of demons. His serpent-like form has three sets of legs, a massive span of bat-like wings and a heavy, armoured tail. His traditional skull-like face has three skull horns, one central jutting forward and two curling like those of a ram from the sides.

Nut'Klu The Political General of Gluttony.
    There are two things Nut'Klu knows better than any other demon; Politics and Food. Through his various political dealings, Nut'Klu has earned influence over many of the demonic regions. When he is not behind a podium, he is at the table: ready to enjoy a new recipe prepared by his army of chefs and culinary slaves. Able to win any argument, able to twist any story: Nut'Klu is a great political tactician and advisor among The Seven Generals. His hospitality and regular celebratory feasts has helped him become the only member of The Seven Generals universally approved of by all other members.
    Description: Nut'Klu stands to a Najno's shoulder and is nearly as round as he is tall. His two, stout skull horns blend in with the thorn-like callouses running down his back and shoulders. His disproportionately large hands compliment his short, stumpy legs and wide hooves.

Shela Sei The Mysterious General of Envy.
    Not much can be said about Shela Sei: He rarely speaks, he is no taller than a Juniq and his body is frail and unstable. His seldom-heard words are spoken in your mind as if you yourself are thinking them, like they have no point of origin. What he lacks in presence, he makes up for in raw intellect and mysterious powers. An uneasy fear surrounds him wherever he goes, and whenever danger arises near Shela Sei, he disappears into the shadows as if he were never there. You cannot find Shela Sei, he finds you.
    Description Shela Sei is a small, spindly demon with dark mahogany skin. His two small skull horns start flowing backward, only to curve upward as if listening for something. His face is distinctive in its noticeable lack of a mouth or nose: Shela Sei only has eyes, all the better to see you with.

Tellon Dieasel Gut'o The Unbound General of Lust.
    Tellon Dieasel Gut'o literally translates to “What is The Lord's”. Tellon is a demoncow, A female demon, who serves as the favoured concubine of Dieasel Gut. Tellon is the only cow known to escape the shackles of her birthright and take a position of power. She is also one of a handful of demons who used to be human, undergoing a ritual soul sacrifice to be born again as a survivor of damnation. Tellon has great influence over Dieasel Gut, and uses her ability to tempt as the fuel for her climb to power. She is faithful to The Lord, and any demon who touches her in any way is sentenced to death. When Tellon Dieasel Gut'o is not pleasing The Lord, she resides in a fortified temple surrounded by castrated Najno Praetorians.
    Description Tellon Dieasel Gut'o is a prized demoncow with a small set of bat-like wings and an array of ten short skull horns swooping back from the top of her head down to the base of her neck. Her face offers a rare glimpse into an unbound cow's eyes, solid white without pupil.

Stone Baron The Guardian General of Sloth.
    What was once erected as a giant, mountain-sized statue of the ancient Dieasel Tun (a retroactive title meaning 'False Lord'), the Stone Baron is now an honorary member of The Seven Generals. Though most of the Generals scoff at the idea of sharing their majesty with a giant statue, Dieasel Gut insists that the archaic idol be included among the circle. What is more curious is the fact that Dieasel Tun (the subject of the massive sculpture) was overthrown and killed by Dieasel Gut. Maybe the pure majesty of the form inspires The Lord, or maybe it stands as a giant warning to all demons who may doubt the prowess of Dieasel Gut. What is known is that the only member of The Seven Generals who does not protest the Baron's inclusion is Shela Sei.
    Description The Stone Baron is carved into the side of a small mountain. The form is of a placid Najno demon sitting down on its rocky throne, slumped to one side with the weight of its massive head resting on it's closed fist. Its legs outstretched and eyes closed. Some demons like to say every couple of years they can see it's stony eyes open very briefly to reveal glowing red rock, but no respectable demon has confirmed this.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP3.jpg

Took some of that awesome advise and moved the arms around slightly, and re-sculpted the chest area.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, spent most of the day working on this beast. I think I'm at a stage where I can pull this out of sculptris and start adding little details and asymmetry in Zbrush.

KurrRend41080.jpg

KurrRend4-31080.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP5.jpg

Gone a bit crazy in Zbrush. I'll call it a night, and continue later.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurrRend5C.jpg

Retopo'd and ready to bake in normals. that will be for a later time.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KurrUDK1L.jpg
    KurrUDK1W.jpg

Kurr in the UDK. Not final by any means, going to have to do some more texture work and make him an actual mouth, but for now, any crits?

EDIT: Some shots with better lighting:

KurrUDK1B.jpg
    KurrUDK1F.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done some tweaks and worked on the mouth to give him an actual internal structure instead of just black screen, didn't make much of a difference in these shots, but at least when he opens his mouth wide, its not just black. he is in-game at around 9,300 tris and uses 2048 diffuse+normal

kurringame3.jpg
    kurringame2.jpg
    kurringame1.jpg
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    looks good, really an improvent from your first demons.
    and for some reason i think the dick adds a lot to the character. makes it rawer somehow.
    i think its a little bit of the same effect as the sex scenes in lars von tries movies adds to the rawness and makes it more uncomfortable to watch.

im not sure if the face matches the realism the rest of the body has though. it feels more cartoony with the bright yellow eyes and the teeth and mouth area needs better specular. wouldnt they be wet from the saliva and have a sharper spec?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took the opportunity to play around with gloss maps to make him look sweaty, like he was fresh from a workout/battle/sex session.

kurringameSWEAT1.jpg
    kurringameSWEAT2.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putting Kurr on the shelf for now. Now onto my next General: Tellon Dieaselgut'o. My first female sculpt. Please crit.

TellonSculptWIP1.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TellonSculptWIP2C.jpg

coming along. I think I'll do the skin between the wingers after everything is out of sculptris.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TellonSculptWIP3S1.jpg
    TellonSculptWIP3S2.jpg
    TellonSculptWIP3S3.jpg

I could really use some crits before I start doing smaller asymmetrical details.
  • hydro_jin
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    why are you focussing so much on the sexual anatomy of these characters you should focus more on the overall basic structural anatomy
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why are you focussing so much on the sexual anatomy of these characters you should focus more on the overall basic structural anatomy

I'm actually looking for criticism of the structural anatomy. Being my first female character, I'm feeling quite lost. If you could please illuminate on the aspects of the general structure I am missing, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelloncolourWIP1.jpg

Testing out colour sceme. You like?

Edit: Update not worth a reply.

TelloncolourWIP2.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got Tellon in the UDK. I MAY play around with the gloss/specular maps before I hop onto a different general. Crits please please please.

Tellon4.jpg
    Tellon2.jpg
    Tellon3.jpg
    Tellon1.jpg

and finally a picture of Tellon Dieaselgut'o next to Kurr, so you get an idea of scale. Kurr is one of the largest generals.

Tellon5.jpg
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those are pretty great looking models what exactly do you have planned for them if i may ask
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I have one important question regarding the male demon, will the cock and balls be rigged and skinned together or will they both have complex separate rigs? If you were looking to get some 360 degree rotating action in the penis I would probably recommend using a skin cluster, if using Maya.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tayuya64 wrote: »
    those are pretty great looking models what exactly do you have planned for them if i may ask

To quote Chandler from Friends, "dunno, games and stuff..."

But really This is just a personal project. If I ever do something outside of screenshots, maybe a little video? By no means are these models planned for anything grand.

Torch wrote: »
    I have one important question regarding the male demon, will the cock and balls be rigged and skinned together or will they both have complex separate rigs? If you were looking to get some 360 degree rotating action in the penis I would probably recommend using a skin cluster, if using Maya.

Actually: the genitals and breasts are all going to be simulated using a technique I call 'iBewbs', or Interactive Breasts Enforced Within Believable Standards. It uses PhysX and so far the results are quite revolutionary.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShelaWIP1.jpg

working on the next general, Shela Sei. He is the small, frail mystic of the group.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShelaWIP2.jpg

details rolling on. Stop me if I'm going in the wrong direction.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got Mr. Shela Sei into the UDK, bringing my total number of Generals up to 3. I have 4 more to go!

Shela1.jpg
    Shela2.jpg
    Shela3.jpg

Also, I played around a bit with displacment maps and Tesselation inside the UDK. Epic have royally skrewed up the artist's control over tesselation, so I'll steer clear of it.

Shela1DXT.jpg
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1o07OiJAAk"]Sculpting Draggard Kestrel: Sculptris session 1. - YouTube[/ame]

I've started sculpting the next general, this time I've recorded the process so-far. If I get a positive response to the video, I'll continue to record. It does add time to the iteration process, so If you guys think its a waste of time, let me know. I don't want to be adding extra steps if nobody gets anything out of it.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kestralshot1.jpg

Draggard Kestrel is coming along. Please crit.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kestralshot2.jpg

small changes all around. Feedback please!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Your skills have really come on and I feel like your designs are really nice but it's so hard to take you seriously with the gratuitous genitalia in this thread, sorry man.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O wrote: »
    Your skills have really come on and I feel like your designs are really nice but it's so hard to take you seriously with the gratuitous genitalia in this thread, sorry man.

I can understand that the overall exposure is shocking at first, but really, that is what I'm going for. The truth is that these Demons represent the embodiment of societal cruelty: oppressors of the atypical. The gratuitous masculinity represents the male ideal: the alpha males who use aggression and violence to accomplish their goals. When good things happen to bad people, the weak see them as monsters, almost supernatural.

This is where these demons come from. In the story I have in progress, these creatures are the physical manifestation of the unfairness experienced by introverted and awkward main character. Their proud displays of sex, violence and power mimic society: we are told certain things are wrong and evil, yet these same things are desired by the people and flaunted by the rich, successfu, and ideal.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Mathew O wrote: »

I have to agree. I don't think it's as shocking as it is distracting. To me they almost seem comical and detract from the seriousness and/or the thematic terror.

Needless to say, the models and texture work are lovely nonetheless.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a shame that people can't take art seriously when the characters aren't Ken-dolls. It won't stop me, though: as much as I love to hear comments on these guys, I make them to travel on my own artistic journey.

That said, there there is a giant worm-spider-centipede creature native to Hell that looks like a giant penis with teeth. I may model that after I get my generals in order.
  • Korvash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been meaning to reply to this for a while now, but haven always been side tracked with other things.

Firstly, great work! There has been huge progress since the thread first started.

I found your work flow time lapse very usefully, I use Sculptris myself, as i'm just starting out, and not wanting to throw money into something like zBrush this early on. Its great to see just how much can be achieved with Sculptris.

In contrast to the other opinions (not that they are wrong, everyone is entitled to their own views) I can appreciate the 'visual' aspect of these characters. Its actually refreshing to see a project like this, where there is no concern for nudity. I think it adds a very unique style to your work. Keep it up. !!

Interested to see how you do the the giant worm-spider-centipede creature.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love those poly painting textures, suits the character really well i think :)

Thanks! I hope the rest of my characters turn out as well!

Korvash wrote: »
    Been meaning to reply to this for a while now, but haven always been side tracked with other things.

Firstly, great work! There has been huge progress since the thread first started.

I found your work flow time lapse very usefully, I use Sculptris myself, as i'm just starting out, and not wanting to throw money into something like zBrush this early on. Its great to see just how much can be achieved with Sculptris.

In contrast to the other opinions (not that they are wrong, everyone is entitled to their own views) I can appreciate the 'visual' aspect of these characters. Its actually refreshing to see a project like this, where there is no concern for nudity. I think it adds a very unique style to your work. Keep it up. !!

Interested to see how you do the the giant worm-spider-centipede creature.

Thanks so much! I have grand fantasies of creating the entire demonic realm, including the creatures, people and places therin: hopefully I can accomplish this.

I appreciate your support! And I will keep it up.
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    I've been following this thread for a while now and just wanted to chime in to say I think the designs are really great - dongs and all. This latest sculpt is looking awesome, a bit odd without a tail, though.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I had no idea I had people still following this project. I agree with the tail situation, however, I had a few concepts with a tail and it looked very generic. I'll see if I can figure out a clever solution.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    The thing that is distracting about the genitals for me is the fact that it's just regular human genitals. You have the designs that are very not human and then there is just a regular human penis slapped on without thought. I am fine with nudity. It's just the stuff you have isn't thought about and because of that it feels tacked on.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are correct that they are in-fact mostly human genitals on animalistic (but still mostly hominid) forms, but you are wrong in the assumption that this is a result of a lack of thought. Originally I concepted these creatures with more bovine-like genitals, but it had no real social impact, nor did it reflect the sexual aggression some of these creatures represent. These monsters are the flesh and bone of pure societal inequality. They represent the cruelest legalities and the most unfair taboos. I'm quite glad that people are distracted by their human genitalia, I'm shocked myself that its artists that are the ones who are complaining.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I made some slight changes to proportions, still havn't figured a way to make the tail-less flanks look more interesting. any thoughts?

kestralshot3.jpg

dug up some old concepts. I might actually sculpt these, but I'll focus on the generals first.

checkenyana.jpg

demondog.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think the penises are a nice touch; they add a sort of raw animality to the demons. I always hate when naked creatures in games just have a bump there, where their genitalia should be.

Keep up the good work; your work has improved loads since the beginning of this thread!
  • Korvash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin wrote: »
    So, I made some slight changes to proportions, still havn't figured a way to make the tail-less flanks look more interesting. any thoughts?

One suggestion would to carry the spikes down the back, and have them cluster around the flanks.

Something like this (please ignore the horrible paint over, i'm at work and only have a mouse to use)

1920200_10153868736785257_2070594437_n.jpg

The other idea i had, was maybe go for a tail something in line with a manticore, like so. (best one Google image search returned.)

2zovpm1.png

I don't know the back story etc involved with these, so not sure if either of these options would fit.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    I think the penises are a nice touch; they add a sort of raw animality to the demons. I always hate when naked creatures in games just have a bump there, where their genitalia should be.

Keep up the good work; your work has improved loads since the beginning of this thread!

Thanks! I'm the same when it comes to Ken-doll sculpts. If something is going to have a cloth or cover of sorts, sure! Even I sculpt creatures without genitals if they are going to be otherwise covered. But these creatures see clothing as pitiful and indicative of shame.

As for the spiky-rump idea, I like it more than I like the scorpion-ish tail. I'm already experiencing regret for not taking enough steps to differentiate this character from Mortal Kombat's Motaro:

MK3-16_Motaro.png

A scorpion tail would just seal that deal.

I may incorporate either spikes or maybe a stump where his tail was before he lost it in a particularly memorable arena battle...
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    You should definitely do some fan art of this penis:
    376.jpg

Really nice progress though!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I probably SHOULD know this, but where is that from? It looks familiar...
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont have much time, already late to my computer networking class. quick screen-grabs from within Sculptris. Thoughts?

tail.jpg