Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yes, look for the weapon in the v or c weapons model section in the steamapps folder. Then use Erik's fixed version to decompile it.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Mdldecompiler

You may also have to edit the .mdl with notepad and change the o or 0 in the first word to ,
  • roninsmastermix
    spycoatsample1.jpg
    Quick 30 min work before i go home. Jumping into the spy coat bandwagon.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, first attempt at making some hats today. I would really appreciate any critiques or comments. How is readability? Not sure about that pie head silhouette... These aren't the final textures yet.

Coconut Cream
    coconutcream.01.jpg

Wild Thing
    wildthing.01.jpg
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spycoatsample1.jpg
    Quick 30 min work before i go home. Jumping into the spy coat bandwagon.

fOC1l.jpg
    Cooljay wrote: »
    I wouldn't diss ronin like that. He is still starting it out a bit
    Edit: Not meant as a bash on ronin, knowing him this will turn out awesome. The prototype just gave me that mental image when I saw it.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't diss ronin like that. He is still starting it out a bit
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4uakwvbj.png

Texture coming soon

Suggested name:

Name: The Longhorn Linedrawer
    Desc: One more step, and you're within my sentry's range
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    got some more happening on the texture for this and started working on a specular map.

eagle_shotty_tex02.png

the wood still needs a lot of work, and i still haven't remodeled the eagle.

will compile and and toss it in game after work tonight, to see it with the tf2 shader's.

Uh, where did you got the ref for this?
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with an idea for camouflage. I still need to add some sprite cards, I'll probably just take the textures from the bush env props, it would look better if they actually matched.

Hidden in Plain Sight
    hidden.01.jpg
  • Nzdjh
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rojo wrote: »
    Playing around with an idea for camouflage. I still need to add some sprite cards, I'll probably just take the textures from the bush env props, it would look better if they actually matched.

Hidden in Plain Sight
    hidden.01.jpg

The branches are a little too much,The bird house is cool perhaps instead you could have the bird house strapped to the pyros head as a hat... and have an animated bird poke its head out every now and again?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Got a little spare time between contracts, so I thought I'd get back to actually doing some art
    staffofasclepius.jpg
    Staff of Asclepius. Or kind of halfway between that and the Caduceus, just to make things confusing. Either way, snake on a stick for the Medic.

What's a safe polycount these days? I'm sitting around 2000 polys but could use a few more to smooth out the coils a bit.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Jackablade, looking nice but the idea seems a bit abstract to me. I get what you're basing it on but I'm not convinced it'll make a good melee weapon. On your triangle question, my anchor for my Soldier set is at about 3,500 triangles and the Equalizer is at about 4,000. You definitely have some room to smooth things out more.

Started texturing the rocket launcher for my Soldier set.

sealauncher_wip_07.jpg

sealauncher_wip_08.jpg

sealauncher_wip_09.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it could work reasonably well. It's not going to be a club. The staff gets thrust forward a little and the snakes head strikes forward and snaps it's mouth.

Conceptually, I dunno. I think if they've got the bust of Hippocrates in there then it's probably ok to go a little left field.

It's the symbol of the Greek god of Healing which is now widely used as a representation of doctors and medecine. Maybe it's a little nebulous but I reckon I'll still finish it off. If Valve don't dig it, that's ok.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket Launcher looks amazing so far Zip. Can't wait to see it get a little more rust in certain areas :P
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    On the rocket launcher, I'm not liking the way the paint is chipped. I think it would make more sense to fill with orange, then fade or chip away the paint in the more open areas, as that's realistically where the paint would fade and chip away.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the rocket launcher but to be honest i don't really like the full orange color, it just has to big a contrast to all the other weapons
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eedobaba, I'll definitely edit the chipping so that it's in the more open areas. I don't like the way the paint chips on the main pipe around the rods are now.

@Doughnut, I'll mess around with some less saturated colors. I think that once the chipping is more prominent and some other details are in it will be better though. It's true that there aren't many weapons this large and colorful but it's not like it's painted pink or anything. It's based off of the orange swatch for Red right now.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say that if you want to stick with that orange, use the creme spirit samples (engies hat) for colouration. I'd like to see differences in the team colouring.
  • blaholtzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The orange looks terrible to be honest, i'd try a different more subtle color.

Most other wire combinations i've seen use team color and team yellow (or cream spirit) i think you should do that as well rather then having both teams colors.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The orange is Way too much.

Making grey the main colour, and incorporating the orange as either tinted battle scarring, or in some sort of hazard stripe pattern of something. Or you can do grey with a tint of orange.

Because at the moment, even though the chipped paint makes it look less toyish, it looks to bright and gharish compared to the rest of the soldiers gear IMO.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna agree with the others and say that the orange is a bit distracting.
    The wires and especially the tape holding them in place could be a bit thicker, too.

Also, this thing is rigged and pretty much finished.

Here's some paints.
    kPVqC.jpg
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow replies, I didn't think anyone saw my post so I didn't visit for a day or two.

@ShadowBrain
    Of course, my dear sir. I had to redo the model, though, so it looks a bit different but it's a lot more optimised:

qVaae.png

X1RbZ.png

8Nvn5.png

This is my first attempt at a texture:
    beJkd.png

This whole thing is a learning experience for me, so I'd appreciate any help I can get. :)

@Grimboden
    I think I'm going to use the animations for the Butterfly knife, as EVIL said in a post under you that they don't accept custom animations. Or did I misinterpret that?

@EVIL
    What a shame. :< I didn't see your pack before I started making this but now that I have I see that I've almost completely ripped you off. I'm very sorry for that. It was not my intention, I promise.

Any comments and critique is extremely welcome, I really want to improve and learn.
    (Also, if someone could give me some tips or point me to a tutorial on how to achieve a painted effect on my textures. I'd be eternally grateful!)
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow replies, I didn't think anyone saw my post so I didn't visit for a day or two.

@ShadowBrain
    Of course, my dear sir. I had to redo the model, though, so it looks a bit different but it's a lot more optimised:

qVaae.png

X1RbZ.png

8Nvn5.png

beJkd.png

This whole thing is a learning experience for me, so I'd appreciate any help I can get. :)

@Grimboden
    I think I'm going to use the animations for the Butterfly knife, as EVIL said in a post under you that they don't accept custom animations. Or did I misinterpret that?

@EVIL
    What a shame. :< I didn't see your pack before I started making this but now that I have I see that I've almost completely ripped you off. I'm very sorry for that. It was not my intention, I promise.

Any comments and critique is extremely welcome, I really want to improve and learn.
    (Also, if someone could give me some tips or point me to a tutorial on how to achieve a painted effect on my textures. I'd be eternally grateful!)

make the handle a wooden color and make the knife blade a shiny metal color.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    the bird house strapped to the pyros head as a hat... and have an animated bird poke its head out every now and again?
    Already been done and with animations. I saw it while browsing YouTube one day.

Zippy: Oh poor Zippy :P This isn't Pipe Dream, I agree with everyone else, it's too bright and colourful. I'm also going to be a pain and also suggest making the straps biggggggger. Why not go for the Pyro strap style?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New weapon idea, based of a Russian ww2 RGD-33 stick grenade, cross the southern hospitality:

ao1.jpg

wire1.jpg

Still pretty WIP, the plan was to create a melee that would fit the demo without being another sword, and be different enough silhoutte wise from the caber and bottle.

@KoRaz:
    Make the handle metal darker, that way it would look more natural and make the blade more imposing. Also add some more brush strokes to the wood and blade, as well as some edge highlights.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hole in the blade needs to be quite a bit smaller, or preferably removed: unless you're going to add a broken model as well which would be interesting. i'll spare you the engineering behind it and leave you with a simple and generic "it doesn't look right" reason. :p
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    @KoRaz:
    Make the handle metal darker, that way it would look more natural and make the blade more imposing. Also add some more brush strokes to the wood and blade, as well as some edge highlights.

First: That's a really cool weapon! I look forward to seeing it textured.

Second: I see what you mean, but I have no idea how to achieve a good-looking wooden grain. Have you got any tips?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @re.wind:
    This better?
    wire2.jpg

@koRaz:

have you seen swizzles texturing tutorial:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559
    That should help you out.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't think it's a bit too reminiscent of the Ullapool (sp?) Caber?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was afraid of that, they are based off roughly the same source. Thats where the blade comes in, as well as the large clip.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11

@ShadowBrain

X1RbZ.png

@Grimboden

@EVIL

Hey, you could check out swizzles thing on textures here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559

If you scroll through the posts in there, Swizzle posts the brush preset that he (or she, idk) uses.

Also, your sitting at a good amount of polygons, but I think you should cut up the curves a little more.
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimboden

Yeah, wasn't talking about custom animations, just curious what it looked like unfolding when replacing the butterfly knife's model.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better ;)

try making the blade bigger, or taller. that should help a bit with the ulapool sillhouette. Maybe even go so far as to add a knuckle guard for the hand as well?
  • roninsmastermix
    spycoatsample2.jpg
    progress on the spy coat. Wanted to give an officer look with a shoulder strap for the knife or gun holster but still thinking about it since this is running at 1900 tris already. Base colors so far with no blending and suit stripes. Crits prefered.
  • LATTEH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finished my steampunk hat for the contest on gamebanana.

i even made a TF2 styled update release pager thingy

ArH3l.jpg

loy6Jl.jpg

N5pvMl.jpg

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/110258
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Latteh, dig it, we need steampunk stuff in game. Then maybe they'll use my soly helmet ;)

Jackblade, I dig the staff, much better than the pisshead the medic got recently.

Zipf, I agree the orange is just too much. Even if it's pulled off the palette it's too much in one spot. I like the concept but it is too big, I can only imagine it must block the entire right side of the players view.
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spycoatsample2.jpg
    progress on the spy coat. Wanted to give an officer look with a shoulder strap for the knife or gun holster but still thinking about it since this is running at 1900 tris already. Base colors so far with no blending and suit stripes. Crits prefered.

Love it so far, but it looks a tad bit bulky. It's hard to tell unless compiled, though, so keep it up. I'd like to see where this goes.
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    Slider wrote: »
    Love it so far, but it looks a tad bit bulky. It's hard to tell unless compiled, though, so keep it up. I'd like to see where this goes.

I think it has to be bulky because it's just covering up the existing model.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he means it breaks the spy silhoutte too much, or something like that.

silhouttes.jpg

Added in a hard guard with a bigger blade, how does it look now?

To tell the truth I'm actually thinking of ditching the blade and replacing it with large spikes welded on too the front instead.
  • DrWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a Foam Hand made for the scout."The Finger of Justice" xD I made it just for fun, i liked the idea of hitting your enemies with this. And if i am not wrong it can be used in two ways. Either normal or grabbing it from the finger :D

a33zzv
  • roninsmastermix

Like whats said, it is covering the existing model. The illusion of bulkyness is perceived due to the lighting blender applies to it since its a separate object, i'm hoping to blend it in with the texture.
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    I think he means it breaks the spy silhoutte too much, or something like that.

That's basically what I meant, one of the most prominent features of the Spy is his head, which pretty much sticks out due to the long neck and the sleek mask.

The Coat by Ronin creates what seems like a "wall" behind the Spy's neck, almost eliminating the long and iconic neck in his silhouette.
  • roninsmastermix
    That's basically what I meant, one of the most prominent features of the Spy is his head, which pretty much sticks out due to the long neck and the sleek mask.

The Coat by Ronin creates what seems like a "wall" behind the Spy's neck, almost eliminating the long and iconic neck in his silhouette.

i get what you mean now. good point. i'll see what i can do.

UPDATE:
    after a little side job i managed to put some more details on the spy coat. Also putting some x-ray shots to show how little padding it took to put on the thing.

spycoatsample3.jpg
  • Deity Link
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a mapper to begin with, but I joined a contest involving the making of Steampunk Pyro model and weapons. I did some silly weapon models before (such as the mini-suika launcher) but this is my first time attempting to make a player model. I discovered the pains of bone manipulation and polygons making 2 days ago.

So here is the current state of my SteamPunk pyro after 2 days.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xfTFAbNfow[/ame]

Of course it's still a work in progress and I still plan some more features (and a proper texture) but I wanted your first impressions. Once again it's my first time making a player model, so I would gladly welcome any tip, especially those involving "how to dispose bones to make the animations look normal" (his legs and arms are still somewhat creppy)
    Thanks in advance.

steam2.png

back2.png

ps: And if you know how to automatically merge vertices that are on the same spot in 3DS Max 9, I'd thank you a lot!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    UPDATE:
    after a little side job i managed to put some more details on the spy coat. Also putting some x-ray shots to show how little padding it took to put on the thing.

I think you've just about nailed that coat. With the 2 color contrast and the hat it looks ultra-slick.
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    I think you've just about nailed that coat. With the 2 color contrast and the hat it looks ultra-slick.

I agree, the two colours look awesome and the coat itself now blends really well with the rest of the Spy.
    When looking from the front, the now brighter collar sets apart quite well from the neck and mask. Well done!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    @EVIL
    dude, don't sweat it! Your razor looks awesome!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better?

sealauncher_wip_10.jpg

sealauncher_wip_11.jpg

sealauncher_wip_12.jpg

The oranges are based off of Cream Spirit now, the same color as the Engineer's helmet. The salty stains are also more visible and I redid the painting on the main pipe so it looks a bit more naturally chipped.

@Baddcog, Here's a shot of the untextured launcher from first person. I guess it is pretty large. I'll have a friend of mine who plays soldier play a few rounds with it and see if he thinks it gets in the way.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    7d3e176b6eb59404b54e171aa36e4.jpg

Something new to go along the Rail Tracer :3
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Zipfinator, ask yourself why it's colored the way it is and where the most logical places to put wear and tear would be.

Are people going to be touching it? If so, where?

Is water or another corrosive substance going to be touching it? If so, where and at what angles?

Will it ever bump into walls or other surfaces? What parts would be most likely to collide with things?

Once you answer those questions, you'll have a better idea of what places should have wear and tear. Right now it looks pretty haphazard, so I think you should definitely examine things more closely.