Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock_Coil wrote: »
    Also, anyone have a good idea for a name, I'm out of ideas for it.

bovine belle (it's a pun, eh eh?)

calf's collar

this was my first post but by the time it got approved it was buried, little help?
    Bopoe wrote: »
    so, uh howdy I'm Bopoe, I'm in high school and modelling is what I want to do when I grow up (what in specific, I haven't decided). Luckily my school has a nice Animation class with a good teacher who has done lots of professional work before. I've decided that for one of my summer projects I wanted to make an item for tf2, so i started with a simple idea I had for the spy "The Beaux Ties" a bow tie & armband for the spy.

2z4g07o.png

crappy render

I was hoping you guys could help me out, I'm using light wave to model and it doesn't facilitate working with Source very well so I'm using blender to. I figure that making a hat would probably be easiar since for the bow tie I would have to delete the spy's existing tie and make a sub model like the Foster's Facade or the Essential Accessories, which i have no idea how to do. this is the first time I've tried to do anything like this and all criticisms would be really helpful.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

*image of pyro hat*

pyro version of the garrison. Feedback is welcome as always.

so every one of those hats has its own texture? That's going to be quite heavy texture-wise. for a single hat anyway.

little guestimation here:
    texture size/resolution is an arbitrary variable.
    half of the texture is used by the unique golden badge.
    assume one hat for 9 classes.
    9 times half of texture size for each texture is redundant.
    4.5 times half the texture size needed for all 9 unique golden badges.
    include 1 half for the base hat texture, and we have 5 times texture size.

Meaning, if you are going to make a hat for every class, you're better off putting them all into one larger texture rather than 9 separate ones.

:) <- edit: why is the ": )" smily so smug? looks like ^__^ not ": )"
  • Shock_Coil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking one of these for the name:
    Fanatic's Trychel

Trychel Noose

Mute's Verbalizer (this one I'm leaning more towards)
  • roninsmastermix
    re.wind wrote: »
    so every one of those hats has its own texture? That's going to be quite heavy texture-wise. for a single hat anyway.

little guestimation here:
    texture size/resolution is an arbitrary variable.
    half of the texture is used by the unique golden badge.
    assume one hat for 9 classes.
    9 times half of texture size for each texture is redundant.
    4.5 times half the texture size needed for all 9 unique golden badges.
    include 1 half for the base hat texture, and we have 5 times texture size.

Meaning, if you are going to make a hat for every class, you're better off putting them all into one larger texture rather than 9 separate ones.

:) <- edit: why is the ": )" smily so smug? looks like ^__^ not ": )"

Good observation. I was really hoping to get some feedback on the texture as well. Correct, i've been using half of the texture as the hat and the other half for the unique badges. Also it is true that my plan is to make a hat per class with its own texture (actually 2 textures per hat, one red and the other blu)

I'll consider your theory and see if i can work something out. Thanks.
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapheavysample4_by_rave8259-d3hqmqn.jpg

In game shots of the heavy. Pretty please with this one. The hat sits nicely on the head, the phong is just fine on the badge. Comments and feedback is appreciated.

Pyro this time.
    garrisoncappyrosample3_by_rave8259-d3hqq17.jpg
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    i LOVE the red one roninsmastermix.MMMMMMMMMMM
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ducksink That Heartless Dunce hat is awesome, excellent work on making it fit the TF2 style. Great idea/name too, looking forward to seeing your other planned hats. ...If that doesn't make it in the game I'll be shocked. Though, perhaps it'd be more fitting on a different class that doesn't already have as many hats, like Scout or something.
  • roninsmastermix
    pear wrote: »
    i LOVE the red one roninsmastermix.MMMMMMMMMMM

Thanks. I love some of the paints on it, some are just... well ridiculous.

For those asking for some shots of the different classes i've made so far.
    garrisoncappic1_by_rave8259-d3hqskv.jpg
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, I'm the designer of concept for the skull Pyro(s) from the last couple of pages. Since I'm not sure if the rest of the pack is going to get modeled, is there any chance that someone is interested in taking a crack at it just in case?

"The Mexican/El Loco Pyro" Pack

http://www.deviantart.com/download/211018844/__mexican___pyro_pack_by_terrormokes-d3hmv6k.png
  • NicKaTimE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burners Bovine Bell?
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

"The Only Perscription"?
  • roninsmastermix
    allclassgarrisontexture_by_rave8259-d3hrqit.jpg

After 2 hours of fitting EACH UV to make this hat an all class hat, here is the latest texture. It's the same resolution but with all the details intact visually. I hope that in-game there is minimal impact. What you guys think?
  • roninsmastermix
    sorry double post
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Well, I know this is unrelated to Team Fortress 2. But I've decided to enter the Portal 2 mapping contest. Ha, this was the first portal map I've ever made, I was surprised how easy the new engine made things.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq7S8iYZkwA[/ame]
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BenHenry, since Portal 2 basically comes down to level design crit (I'm guessing those are all Portal 2 assets, not you rebuilding them from scratch), it took me a looong time to figure out where you were trying to get to with that Discouragement Redirectment Cube. That's such a tiny alcove and the way the Aerial Faith Plates are positioned, it didn't look very clear that you could use them to (sort of) get to both the spot the laser needs to get to and that spot with the button and the cube-dropper.

I wonder if it may be beneficial to have two separate sets of Faith Plates that are clearly going to different locations, or if that would make the puzzle too easy/make finding spots for the level designer to let players place Portals too difficult.
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapscoutsample1_by_rave8259-d3hsb8l.jpg

Scout garrison cap is done. Tilted the hat a bit to the side so the scout would look even more boyish. Followed suggestions for the badge and used the BSA emblem as the base. Replaced the eagle with the scout icon. I guess its the medic's turn. Feedback and comments are welcome.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o_0
    Them eyes.

I really like what you're doing with the hat.

New weapon, this time a flare gun. The stock is supposed to go into the crock of the Pyros arm (Hopefully).

wireframe1.jpg

ao1.jpg

I'm planning on using a simular colour scheme to the Loch N' Load for it.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD
    hm, it looks good... but just a bit too much like the standard Flare Gun imo...
    I would also maybe make the stock look more like a part of the gun. it just looks a bit out of place being bolted on there... but other than these two minor nitpicks of mine, it seems to be coming along quite nicely
  • Erfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Scout garrison cap is done. Tilted the hat a bit to the side so the scout would look even more boyish. Followed suggestions for the badge and used the BSA emblem as the base. Replaced the eagle with the scout icon. I guess its the medic's turn. Feedback and comments are welcome.
    You should give it a RED/BLU Socks [sic] emblem or something else that fits with boston baseball.
  • Erfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You should give it a Boston Baseball team or something.
  • Robert E. Lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supplement_beta_1_front_by_xephslayer-d3hq7m4.png
    supplement_beta_1_by_xephslayer-d3hq794.png
    So this is what I got on my syringe gun replacement, any suggestions?
    d3hq794

I would like some comments on this, I would REALLY appreciate some before I start unwrapping.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robert: Its a good model, but it lacks detail. I think also, make sure it works with the animations, make a silhouette to see if it matches.

So, More detail, check and see if it works with the animations without major clipping. Avoid box shaped objects.

Hope this helps.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robert: You need some bevels on the main body. Also if your using Blender, i would set some sharp edges, cause I can't really see what the handles supposed to be, it looks fully round from the side view, but boxy from the front. I would also increase the size of the smaller barrel.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink wrote: »
    Something ive been working on today:
    vs2992.png
    I'm also gonna do his tin axe, a scarecrow hat for a certain stupid class and a severed lion head for a certain heavy class.
    Out of curiosity what is this "stupid class"?
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demopan. Nuff said
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapmedicsample1_by_rave8259-d3htyxs.jpg

Medic Garrison cap basic texture. Feedback is well appreciated. One of the hardest of the emblems to make. Time to sleep for me.
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ducksink:

Make the wood brown. Also either tone down or get rid of the normal map on the wood as well.
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    @Ducksink:

Make the wood brown. Also either tone down or get rid of the normal map on the wood as well.

The tin mans axe looked like an ordinary lumberjack axe only made out of tin, so yeah I think i'll stick with this one.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    from the ref I see of the tin man the actual wood part doesn't have any wood grain. why not just make it flat silver/tin and give it some metal texture love.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on something...
    finished_rocket_launcher.png
    And,
    I am going to make the bottle just a tad clear when I compile it.
    shotgun_finished.png
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so i have been thinking about, what could the pyro need and i decided to make a new pressure tank. What do you think ? Feedback is well appreciated. I would also like to hear some crits and some suggestions on how to make it better :)

Thanks
    totheinternet.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the low quality
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Working on something...
    shotgun_finished.png

Beware Ben's Broken Beer Bottle Bayonet!
  • roninsmastermix
    Another update on the garrison caps:
    garrisoncapmedicscoutsample1_by_rave8259-d3hvm40.jpg

HLMV shots of the medic and scout versions. Now proceeding to the engie version.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here comes the melee weapon. Like a BOAWWSss
    melee.png
    also, all of these screens are straight from max, so they are a little darker than they should be ingame.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @BenHenry, looks extremely similar to Swizzle's meat weapon from page 70.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sheesh, I didn't see that. Probably gonna have to come up with something else, thanks for telling me,
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sharkiss: It looks very simular to the original. If your going for the improvised look, why not base it off something like a converted gas can? With wires and tubes coming off it.

@Benhenry; The shotgun looks pretty flat and blocky to me, although I don't know if thats caused by Max's shaders.

Got rid of the stock because it was still clipping:
    wireframe2.jpg

ao2.jpg
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Very nice ColonelBD, but it looks alot like the Flare Gun Atm.

Anyway I took my revenge on flamethrowers and made a new one :

17be55b5cc47be0d26ce7054eb3a8.png

What you think about colors (and whole model as well).
  • roninsmastermix
    Latest garrison version for the engie.
    garrisoncapengiesample1_by_rave8259-d3hwvj9.jpg

Pretty simple work. Less than an hour to make but i think it's fitting enough seeing some of the references i saw. 7 down and 2 more to go.
  • Cyxopyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctf_1.jpg

Please, help me make good chrome looking pistol, all these pistols are same, but screenshots made in different places (different light and cube map), i want to make it look like in 3rd picture, but more fitting into style.

.vmt options

"$basetexture" "models\weapons\c_items\texture"
    "$bumpmap" "models\weapons\c_items\texture_b"

"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    "$envmaptint" "[.5 .5 .5]"

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" "1"
    "$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "45"
    "$phongboost" "0.1"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_light"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[1.5 .5 3]"
    "$halflambert" "1"

"$rimlight" "1"
    "$rimlightexponent" "20"
    "$rimlightboost" ".25"

"360?$color2" "[ 0.5 0.5 0.5 ]"

"$glowcolor" "1"
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    off topic sorta.. i really hate using bsp, so is it technically and economically possible to use all static meshes for a level? I created a map using bsp and as fun as it can be sometimes, modeling it in max is wayyy faster. If not, is there a tool to convert a editable poly to bsp? * i doubt, but would be nice*
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can export sketchup files into a format that hammer can read, but they
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't that for L4D up only though?

Took some inspiration from the lack box and made the barrel square:
    wireframe3.jpg

Yay or nay? I've got the previous version on backup.

@Cyxopyk:

i would do it simular to the ambassadors texture, also you need more brush trokes on the gun.

@CBast:
    So its a radiator, boiler powered steam flamethrower? I like it. But the handle could be beefed up and exxagerated more.
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapengiesample2_by_rave8259-d3hxt47.jpg
    Engie badge is finished. I tried putting a real polygonal render of the engie wrench there but it just ruins the ranger star and you could barely makeout that its a ranger badge at all. Even with this simpler and smaller addition to the star dramatically alters the look. What do you guys think?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool badges, but from normal playing distance... do you even ever ever...ever see all that detail?
  • roninsmastermix
    oobersli wrote: »
    cool badges, but from normal playing distance... do you even ever ever...ever see all that detail?

Actually yes, you can see many of the defining features of the badges like what you see here http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/149/4/b/garrisoncapsample3_by_rave8259-d3hkago.jpg

Granted the text will be hard if not impossible to read but you can see that they all have distinct shapes and feature even from a reasonable distance. It also helps that it's on the hat and not on the body like the medals.
  • dominguez,john
    hello i am currently trying to make a video game but i need help making it can you help me ?
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello i am currently trying to make a video game but i need help making it can you help me ?

Wrong thread to post that in, try making your own thread.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    oobersli wrote: »
    off topic sorta.. i really hate using bsp, so is it technically and economically possible to use all static meshes for a level? I created a map using bsp and as fun as it can be sometimes, modeling it in max is wayyy faster. If not, is there a tool to convert a editable poly to bsp? * i doubt, but would be nice*

you would still need some brushes. since bsp brushes are the only thing that will seal a level or block vis, models don't occlude geometry they hide in source like in other engines, but what you could do is block your level out in bsp with nodraw on it than cover it all in meshes.

but if your wanting to make a environment all in meshes your better off with unity or UDK.