Home General Discussion

PS3 Network still down :(

Replies

• TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I heard from a little bunny myself that it involved the Qriocity service and someone finding a backdoor in through there. They hope to have it back on Tuesday.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting. I did not know about Playstation Plus. I was simply referring to PSN alone. I just assumed that the whole online part of the PS was free. I'm not a PS guy after all. It was foolish of me to not have done any research beforehand.

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    As soon as I heard the rumours about PSN having leaked my CC info I transferred the bigger bulk of my money to a second "safety" account, as I forgot to remove the CC info from my account after the last purchase.

Honestly this is a massively big issue and I feel bad for Sony to be honest, this won't be good PR if it keeps going wrong.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmmm. The EU PSN seems to be down for maintenance. Yet, I've just done a fairly large system update with no trouble.

I would have thought an update would have to go through the PSN?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    dev servers are the same, but devs are also given the option to connect using offline mode. so they can still test stuff, just nothing involving multiplayer or networking, such as rewards and trophies and what not
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug. It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    off-topic:
    I've got a TEST-kit, can never seem to connect to PSN (even before all this) with it..
    only the DEV-kits can do that or what? :P

on-topic:
    god damn it! ruined my easter weekend! :(
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah, my kids bitched at me that they couldn't play littlebigplanet2 online, so we had a fun weekend taking them out into the real world instead.

don't let a game console rule your life guys, just because you can't play online doesn't mean there's nothing else you can do instead.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    off-topic:
    I've got a TEST-kit, can never seem to connect to PSN (even before all this) with it..
    only the DEV-kits can do that or what? :P

No, the test kits can normally connect (except during this outage). Maybe something up at your end?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    my ps3 has been collecting dust since i just play blue rays and the ocasional tekken with my friends during lunches or dinners XD so yeah didnt even notice this :P
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Maybe it's just me, but anyone paying for an online service should expect a little downtime, and the occasional problem preventing them from getting online. Whether it be paying for internet service at your house, an online game, or an online network such as PSN - it's bound to have issues at one point or another.

Time to enjoy all those games that don't involve other people! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but anyone paying for an online service should expect a little downtime, and the occasional problem preventing them from getting online. :)

Sure, just not for four days, over a bank holiday weekend. Still, I'm hearing this had to do with some CFW update that let people enact shenanigans on the PSN store, which is good for no one, so, necessary evil I guess.
  • slipsius
  • Andreas
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They waited a week to tell people their personal information might have been compromised? Really?
    I mean.. come on, people MIGHT have wanted to know this 1 week ago, to make preventive measures. Just, fucking unprofessional.

So now I have to keep monitoring my account or simply get a brand new card and shit just because Sony couldn't bother being properly secure.

I already offload larger sums to a separate account in case shit like this would happen, but it still sucks only having minimal sums on my account, having to go to the bank or the online bank every time I want to make a larger purchase.

This is REALLY bad. I only hope this information isn't spread about until PSN is back up so I can remove all that info and change my password. I guess I also have to change my credit card to get a new one, since the address and everything is tied to the current one, allowing the hacker or whatever to use my card for online purchases.

Sucks being Sony.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I honestly wouldnt be surprized if everyone had ot make a brand new profile. new friends lists, and all that stuff. just hard reset. at the very least, everyone is gonna be forced to change their password
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ergh.. I'll monitor my bank account and more important "accounts" throughout the week, then when PSN is back up I'll change the password and email and do some mixing.

This is annoying, nothing worth suing over but still, damn.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »

This is annoying, nothing worth suing over but still, damn.

Haha crazy how the american scale goes straight from annoying to SUESUESUE :P (j/k)
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »
    Haha crazy how the american scale goes straight from annoying to SUESUESUE :P (j/k)

Skamberin is from Norway. But I guess that doesn't make you less wrong.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    damn skamberin, how many accounts did you give to sony?? I just gave them my credit card. It sounds like you gave them your credit, debit, pin number, social, checking and savings accounts.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    damn skamberin, how many accounts did you give to sony?? I just gave them my credit card. It sounds like you gave them your credit, debit, pin number, social, checking and savings accounts.
    Gave them credit card, and with that my address and full name (no problem finding that name and such online but it's still crappy getting that info alongside the CC info its tied too). Alongside that I gave them my email and a password, same email I use for many other services.
    I also stick with 3-4 different password across all the accounts and such that I have, a potential hacker may now have my CC info and address (enough to make a purchase on some online sites), my email and one of my passwords (enough to log into other services I may use)

I could of course have made up a different password for each service I use and a different e-mail for each one but, my memory isn't good enough for that (it's actually shitty, for a number of reasons) and I like keeping things simple.

So while I didn't give them much, me lacking the foresight to see this happening means it might have "jeapordized" more than my PSN account.

Then again I might be overeating and nothing bad has happened at all and it won't happen either.

@Andreas: I meant that in a joking manner :P I think this is annoying, but if I were a stereotypical dumb American or somesuch I would probably be taking this to court or something :P
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Well, look at it this way Skamberin, if you keep a level headed and cool posture, you won't be suffering from any...

*puts on glasses*

...die-and-beet-ees

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o"]http://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o[/ame]
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...All is good.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    one of my co-workers card was just used illegally, three times, charges of 100 dollars each. I cannot confirm it is directly linked to the PSN, but he has used his card on the network in the past.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    glad I never use my CC for PSN stuff ... i only use PSN card ...
    but that suck to hear tho dang ...

angry-mob2.jpg
    hang da hacka
  • fearian
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, such PC Master Race win again, MUAHAHAHA!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Glad that my credit card just sent me a new credit card for that pin service. :)
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    For anyone worried about password compromises or who's still using a small number of passwords on a lot of sites, check out LastPass. I started using it after the Gawker accounts were compromised, and I'd never go back.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    when the senate and Sony get together on this it will be much like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Sigh, they don't make movies like this anymore...
  • Call Me Snoopy
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I am pretty sure its affecting devs as well, since we cant test multiplayer components without PSN. I guess we're in a holding pattern at the moment .. Fuck ...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So, basically we know that many account infos might have been fully accessed and used but still there is no way to connect and change ones password ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah ... I suppose the best would be for them to fully wipe out everything except purchased games associated with accounts. I am actually wondering why this hasn't been done already ?

This quote from the PSN blog comments hits the mark :
    On that topic.. when you say that our password data may have been accessed, I hope you mean that our hashed, non-reversible password data may have been accessed.. right? You didn’t have our passwords in plaintext on your servers, did you?
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Damn.
    Bought a PS3 last sunday to buy some classic games from PSN but when I came home, I realised that PSN was down so I got disappointed since I don't have any games for it. Now I'm kind of glad that PSN was down.

Hope no ones ID/card# get stolen...
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Being poor pays off? WOO!
  • MattQ86
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I only have my old student credit card with a low limit thats maxed out atm :P The bank want me to make a payment but theres no way thats happening right now! :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    class action lawsuit against Sony

I'm tempted because, let's face it, Sony doesn't hesitate to sue it's customers.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    what a load of shit. Just some lawyers looking for a quick buck.

If your credit card number gets stolen, is it really a big deal for anyone? It's happened to me 3 or 4 times. The bank calls me, tells me whats up, then sends me a new card. I pay no charges. My credit score is unaffected. It takes all of 5 minutes.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    aesir, here in Portugal that doesnt happen , so yeah its kinda a big deal since ill have to cancel the card i use daily wich will take more than a week to get a new one.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 people at my work have had fraudulent activity on their credit cards since Sat.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    aesir, here in Portugal that doesnt happen , so yeah its kinda a big deal since ill have to cancel the card i use daily wich will take more than a week to get a new one.
    This is also the case over here. It's annoying.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    If your credit card number gets stolen, is it really a big deal for anyone?

Yes, I'd rather not lose money and/or spending my free time explaining which purchases are mine and which aren't to my bank.

Do you seriously think that a major company losing (possibly) millions of their customers' credit card information as well as their personal information as "not a big deal"?
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    Yes, I'd rather not lose money and/or spending my free time explaining which purchases are mine and which are theirs to my bank.

yeah with my bank I have to fill out a form and mail it back to them, then wait 10 days for a new card. Annoying as hell, but they're credit union with a welcoming family owned atmosphere, I'd never switch to one of those large corporate fuckers.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    So it seems my relationship with my bank is better than most of yours. Then yea, I can see how this might suck more for you.

Overall though, this whole thing feels like a bunch of people being pissed off at the bank for allowing itself to be robbed. I dunno, shit happens. It's not like they wanted it to. I just don't get the rage I guess.

The only malicious action here was on that of the hackers. But since they're not as public a target, everyone just moves their hate on over to sony.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    verall though, this whole thing feels like a bunch of people being pissed off at the bank for allowing itself to be robbed. I dunno, shit happens. It's not like they wanted it to. I just don't get the rage I guess.

The only malicious action here was on that of the hackers. But since they're not as public a target, everyone just moves their hate on over to sony.

Exactly this. It amazes me how much hate Sony is getting for being the victim of hackers. I would never blame my bank if they were robbed. I would blame the fucker robbers.

I honestly think it has all to do the with fear about peoples money being stolen when its not even sure that the hackers were able to access any of that info.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    pretty much depends if the bank leaves the doors wide open though ;)

And I guess that's why people are angry, they ASSUME that just this happened - that Sony was careless with security. They wouldn't be the first big corp though, but I think it's too early to jump to conclusions. Even if your security is good, there may still be robbers who can beat it.

good luck to those affected - hope they didn't get your card
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Also http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
    A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

Every single company that has your credit card information is CONSTANTLY under attack from hackers. Its just the way the world works. People want money they didnt earn and will attempt to steal it until they finally get it. Places like Sony, Amazon, Microsoft are bigger targets since they store a lot of credit cards. Its not a matter of IF, its a matter of WHEN hackers are able to out smart the ones who created the security software.
    Q: Has Sony identified the party or parties responsible for the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent theft of personal information?
    A: We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation and are working closely with a recognized technology security firm and law enforcement in order to find those responsible for this criminal act no matter where in the world they might be located.

Truly hope that the people who did this are found and put in jail for a very very long time. They deserve nothing better.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    it's basically the price we pay for the convenience of buying everything at an instant. On the other hand this is totally in Sony's (and Amazon's & Cos) interest to make it as easy as possible to buy their stuff.
    You're not gonna make many sales if you stick to old fashioned, cumbersome but quite secure bank transfer. And the same people who whine now will probably blame you for the inconvenience...