Home General Discussion

PS3 Network still down :(

I want to play games Online!!!! Why such a long time to investigate stupid script kiddie hackers :(.

Anyone else want to ding dong knock some sony exec's houses with me?

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I thought it was anon, but...

ekkbj9.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    if it is taking this long, its not script kiddies, there are real hackers out there in the world fully capable of taking down a network and keeping it down. but i highly doubt it would be anon as they would be totally bragging about it right now rubbing it in sony's face. geohot has a lot of friends in the hacker community my best guess would be its one of his supporters.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    problem with the whole anon thing is that because of the anonymity involved, anyone with some sort of knowledge could do shit like this and claim it was anonymous.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I am seriously sick of t hackers... how come the we can't find these no-life's?
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    One option I've heard was it's a security breach with the PSN Store. Beta testers for certain games are given some special voucher/code/whatever, and they download that game for free. That system *may* have been hacked, and sony have since blocked off PSN to everyone for fear of it being exploited.

Instead of doing the smart thing, taking note of what people own, making everything free to download for a month, not allowing anyone to BUY anything, and then reverting back to what people had before that. Sent minecraft sales through the roof when the authentication servers went down.

Also, I'm not sure if this would apply to anyone here, but what about downloads that were half done? Have they resumed yet?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    ^ Could try. Have some demos paused :P Yeah I wanted to play some fifa online seeing how I havent played on my PS3 in a long time since college started and then this happens :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    problem with the whole anon thing is that because of the anonymity involved, anyone with some sort of knowledge could do shit like this and claim it was anonymous.

thats the point of anonymous, I think, that anyone could be anonymous, but it sounds like some of the bigger players of anon don't want the credit/attention.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Didn't anonymous say last week that all attacks from them on the psn network would cease as it's not the consumers that should be punished but Sony itself. I wanna play portal 2 online dammit!!!!!
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Well the thing about anonymous is that its like asking who Spartacus is, everyone is anonymous until they say who they are.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Didn't anonymous say last week that all attacks from them on the psn network would cease as it's not the consumers that should be punished but Sony itself. I wanna play portal 2 online dammit!!!!!

Read.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm.... when I read the following:
    An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority.

...I don't get why everyone assumes this is hackers "bringing down the network".

Sounds more like Sony's security people found a hole in the security (possibly because some hacker did poke it) and because of that Sony has taken down their servers themselves to try to fix their security.

Maybe not an important distinction to make anyways I guess, and I may have read it wrong. :P
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like we need to create a gui interface in visual basic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU[/ame]
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHAHAHAHAAHAH the clip Slum, ahaahaah yes ahahaha my word!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    F*ck tracking the IP address, we'll track 'em down with our jet pack.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRJY-FwUMdc[/ame]

Arg, i just checked thread of awesomeness and hilariousness and this is already up, woops!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like we need to create a gui interface in visual basic.

Done.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GD4ehJ25o&NR=1[/ame]
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, I made some freshly tuned cars for GT5 that I want to test...
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    No Mortal Kombat online :(.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    PSN is ungodly slow anyways. Maybe this will give them the opportunity to get their head out of their ass and fix their network bandwidth. Not like I really play much on my PS3 =\
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to watch some Netflix on the couch :(

Andreas lol
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought a PSP Go, and it's literally useless! :( Was planning to spend some time with it over the bank holiday weekend... pointless.

'More like yawn-line' :P
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    PSN is ungodly slow anyways. Maybe this will give them the opportunity to get their head out of their ass and fix their network bandwidth. Not like I really play much on my PS3 =\

are you using the wifi?

if so i dont think it much to do with psn, its the shitty wifi card, you can quadruple your psn performance if you plug it into your network vs using wifi. i think there are some tricks to be found online on speeding it up. luckily my ps3 is right next to my router.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, my PS3 disconnects repeatedly but I never really went online with it much - you could purchase a wireless bridge or load the dd-wrt firmware onto an old router if you have a few extra like i do and turn it into a bridge.

Basically a bridge is like a router but instead of connecting to a modem it connects via wifi to your main wifi router.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone enjoying their streaming content? One again, proving why I prefer hard copies.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    <3 Xbox! ;D

But in all seriousness, this really sucks for PS3 owners. I'd hate to not have internet access on my Xbox!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's free... we expect these things to happen now and then again... remember the Y2K bug?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh well its okay, its about time I can enjoy singleplayer games... we or I don't pay attention to them as much as they deserve :p
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    The amount of over the top anger and rage this is creating across the internet is worrying to be honest.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture of PSN users or gamers in general in any way :/

Many are suffering from severely aggressive behaviour and entitlement issues.
    Hopefully they'll use this time to really understand their problem and seek help.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Skamberin wrote: »
    The amount of over the top anger and rage this is creating across the internet is worrying to be honest.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture of PSN users or gamers in general in any way :/

Hopefully they'll use this time to really understand their problem and seek help.

This people, this!

I mean honestly, problems happen, what's the big deal.

I miss the old days that people would blame God or their Luck and continue with their life, not threaten the developers and feel entitled to everything for no price.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never had a problem with PSN before this myself... and I find Playstation + to be better than xbox live... free shiz is good.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    This people, this!

I mean honestly, problems happen, what's the big deal.

I miss the old days that people would blame God or their Luck and continue with their life, not threaten the developers and feel entitled to everything for no price.

I'd rather not blame God...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Cmon, we all know this outside party hax was xbox live developers.. :D
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Skamberin wrote: »

Exactly. I would like to try out Mortal Kombat online but I can't at the moment. I'm not raging about it on forums though like some people are doing, or pulling the whole fanboy thing stating "This is why XBOX RULZ!" or something equally childish.

Shit happens, Sony has been very reliable and I'm sure there is a reason behind this and they are going to do everything they can to rectify the situation. I'm not sweating it though.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    word on the street is a new guy at sony tripped on a cord ;)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I've managed without PSN for 4 days, and tomorrow the Gears 3 Beta starts for me, no MK till next week too. I guess I'll manage, all luck to Sony with fixing this :0
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the number one thing I dislike about society as a whole is entitlement.
    The gaming community is certainly a representation of it..
    I don't really see how people can get so upset over this stuff? Escapism/fun/whatever you get out of video games can't be that important.
    Maybe some people need another hobby?
    Maybe they should go <outside> (curse the word) and breathe deep?
    ech
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    The gaming community is certainly a representation of it..
    I don't really see how people can get so upset over this stuff? Escapism/fun/whatever you get out of video games can't be that important.
    Maybe some people need another hobby?
    Maybe they should go <outside> (curse the word) and breathe deep?
    ech

Personally I don't care that PSN is down..only affected by it once when I wanted to play co-op portal with my brother.
    But I can see why some people would be upset. Some pople spend hundreds of dollars on a PS3 + games to play online. Now that they can not play it sort of makes the purchase useless for them.
    Also, if you just spend 60 or 70 dollars on a game only to go home and find out you can play it until who knows when.. WEll that could be kind of frustrating.

As for getting a hobby, to some playing games is the hobby.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vprime, that I understand. but some people get so caught in up in it all that they lose sight of what really matters. there are people that need to just chill out...
    It's crazy what some people say.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I pay for Playstation +... in your holier than thou opinion, would I have a right to feel 'entitled' that the service I pay for works? ;) I am sitting here still staring at my new psp go, which is utterly useless right now...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    I am sitting here still staring at my new psp go, which is utterly useless right now...

See, that was more to my point. They REALLY pushed getting the GO, which wouldn't use hard copies of the games. Since I really dislike that business model, I avoided getting one. I was curious if this network issue killed the GO's, or can you still play games that you've d/l'd in the past, but just can't get new games. Apparently you're just f'd until the system is back up.

To me, this is why OnLive is utter crap as a console replacement. Sure, people should probably get out more, but if this is how they choose to entertain themselves, and they've paid the money, they should have access.

Obviously, PSN is free (unless you get the +), and personally, it doesn't bother me that it's down, because I'm more of a single player/local multi type. If the system completely cut off access to my games though, I'd be pissed.

And everyone waving their XBox flags should realize that this can happen to the Live network too. I would think MS would act faster than Sony has, but still...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    I pay for Playstation +... in your holier than thou opinion, would I have a right to feel 'entitled' that the service I pay for works? ;) I am sitting here still staring at my new psp go, which is utterly useless right now...

No, you're not entitled to something you don't pay for. You paid for the PS3. You have a PS3, nothing is stopping you from playing games. PSN is free. You can't whine about something you don't pay for, especially when it's a *free* SERVICE.

If it were Xbox Live, then people could complain, because they're actually paying.
    I've always preferred Xbox Live to PSN, but that is my personal opinion, and I'm not going to start acting like an immature fanboy. But like Notman said, it could happen to the Live network as well.

Just saying, when you're not paying, don't whine about it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    arshlevon wrote: »
    are you using the wifi?

if so i dont think it much to do with psn, its the shitty wifi card, you can quadruple your psn performance if you plug it into your network vs using wifi. i think there are some tricks to be found online on speeding it up

Yeah I'm using Wifi - router is in my bedroom and the PS3 is in the living room. That's unfortunate the wifi card is bunk. I'll look into that. Thanks! :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    No, you're not entitled to something you don't pay for. You paid for the PS3. You have a PS3, nothing is stopping you from playing games. PSN is free. You can't whine about something you don't pay for, especially when it's a *free* SERVICE.

If it were Xbox Live, then people could complain, because they're actually paying.
    I've always preferred Xbox Live to PSN, but that is my personal opinion, and I'm not going to start acting like an immature fanboy. But like Notman said, it could happen to the Live network as well.

Congrats, that whole post is redundant, because I AM PAYING... Playstation + is a service that you pay for... ;P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_%2B#PlayStation_Plus
    notman wrote: »
    See, that was more to my point. They REALLY pushed getting the GO, which wouldn't use hard copies of the games. Since I really dislike that business model, I avoided getting one. I was curious if this network issue killed the GO's, or can you still play games that you've d/l'd in the past, but just can't get new games. Apparently you're just f'd until the system is back up.

Wish they would give away digital copies with hard copies of games, like with dvds/bds these days... cause sometimes theres collectors editions etc that I would like to buy. Mostly I bought go cause of its size and memory capacity... cant say I bought it so the battery wouldnt be drained by the UMD drive reading the UMDs cause... the battery life is supposed to be worse than the PSP 3000 :P Another annoying thing is if I see some game going for dirt cheap in Gamestop, but its still full price on PSN. Still though... I mostly bought it for Peace Walker and the PSOne final fantasy games and a few others... once PSN is back up I'd say I'll be happy. Plus, cause I have Playstation +, every month I get free PSOne games and PSP minis that I can play not only my PS3 but also the psp go... also, I can save games to the steam cloud so if Im playing Final Fantasy VII on the bus, I know I'll be able to pick this game up later back home on the PS3. Really I went with a go over a 3000 so it can double as an mp3 player... it is a pretty nice size and I refuse to give Apple my money.
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    so apparently they are rebuilding the entire system from scratch

They better not be...

http://kotaku.com/#!5795349/sony-doesnt-know-yet-if-your-credit-card-number-was-stolen

Oh good.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

What ? That's such a weird way of looking at things...

In my opinion the rights of consumers to complain has nothing to do with the service being free or not. Obviously there can be excessive rage/entitlement problems but still, the fee of the service is irrelevant - especially when you consider how much of a major a feature PSN is.

PSN is free, but not free as in "Polycount free" (aka non-profit). It is part of huge marketing machine, economically driving the whole Sony corp if I remember correctly.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    No, you're not entitled to something you don't pay for. You can't whine about something you don't pay for

i can assure you i'd pitch a fit if breathable air was taken away from me. :poly124:
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Read Andreas' post again. Playstation PLUS IS a pay service. Andreas' is paying for that service, and not getting it right now. And he paid for the PSPGo, which is useless now. Tell me why he doesn't have the right to be upset about this?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Well, this is not very comforting:

Sony Doesn’t Know Yet If Your Credit Card Number Was Stolen
    http://kotaku.com/#!5795349/sony-doesnt-know-yet-if-your-credit-card-number-was-stolen
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard from a little bunny that the psn network for the consumer is the same system that the developers use as well. So devs network servers are down too, if thats the case damn why would you share the same network servers in the first place?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Checked my CC, no fraudulent purchases yet. There were talks of the network going up tommorow.