Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @ColonelBD
    camera is cool but 3 pieces seems excessive. The original is only 2 and you can get any position you want and the player is never the wiser.

I actually think doing it in frames would be cool. Simple to rig. Have frame 1 be 45* left, frame 10 45* right and 8 frames in between. and pointed down at a slight angle. Maybe not quite as much adjustability but how much do you really need?
  • ColonelBD
    Hmmm good point, however I am not that certain about the animating part. TF2 generally doesn't have that many animating props, even physics props are scattered sparingly, and to make it animate I have to set it as a prop_dynamic, which is pretty expensive to run and compile on maps. Especially if theres like 6 of them per base.

It should be possible, but I'll have to see if its worth it first.
  • Mad Mike
    @ColonelBD: It looks nice, though I'd add a big, obnoxious button/light on that flat area next to the lens. I think you should be able to shave off enough polys from the lens as re.wind said to cover this expense.

Alright, I'm done with the barbecue for my cart. Just gotta drop some coal/wood in there. Also started making generic weapons to fill up the chest. First up - dagger. Not entirely sure about the piece of meat on the roast, any suggestions? I'd also like some advice regarding the question in my last post.
    Polycount hanging about 5k now.

Medieval_cart_wip7.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip8.jpg
  • ComfyCushion
    Flatten the thicker end of the meat and texture it like a ham.

ham.jpg
  • re.wind
    Hmmm good point, however I am not that certain about the animating part. TF2 generally doesn't have that many animating props, even physics props are scattered sparingly, and to make it animate I have to set it as a prop_dynamic, which is pretty expensive to run and compile on maps. Especially if theres like 6 of them per base.
    I think its actually fine. 6 prop_Dynamics put in a corner-infested spybase where they all won't be rendered at a time and give them a fade distance [set within hammer] and the model is absolutely fine.
    Splitting it into two parts like the existing one gives you more than enough flexibility. :)
  • ColonelBD
    @Rewind: Good to know, thanks :)

@Mad Mike: Do you mean something like this?:
    base_camera01_flashlight.jpg
    I was thinking of making it use a simular effect to the cameras in bioshock, and have a kind of mounted spotlight on the main camera.
  • re.wind
    think of how anything moving in tf2 not directly relative to gameplay would affect the gameplay. bioshock 2 camera with moving spotlight? confusing at first, engine restrictions second, how to fit the tf2 style third. Animate it through a 90-120° arc over 5-10 seconds. keeping it subtle yet giving it more detail than a pure static prop.
  • ColonelBD
    Ok, got rid of the light and layed down the base colours with AO. However something doesn't feel right about it, I dunno what, it just feels wrong:

whatswrong.jpg

maybe if I got rid of the red and lightened up the inside it might look better, IDK.
  • Sexy Robot
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    1f9f1b34925e7aa4989abf8a43f3a55e.png

param142.png

Dis' is going well.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Manuca wrote: »

So I ended up trying the tutorial with the videos, went through all the steps (replacing it with the ghastly gibus), got it to show up in the model viewer, but now it doesn't show up in game. Is there something else I need to do, like enable anything in the console?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    So I ended up trying the tutorial with the videos, went through all the steps (replacing it with the ghastly gibus), got it to show up in the model viewer, but now it doesn't show up in game. Is there something else I need to do, like enable anything in the console?

How are you trying to get it to show up in game? Are you changing the items_game.txt or using the item tester Valve implemented a few months ago?
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    How are you trying to get it to show up in game? Are you changing the items_game.txt or using the item tester Valve implemented a few months ago?

I wasn't aware there was an item tester. Where can I find this glorious thing?
  • Doughnut Bear
    @BlvdNights in console just type testitem and it will bring up the menu to select your model
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Just found it. Looks like tho it can't find it, so I'll do a bit more work. Thanks guys.
  • Apocol0id
    Sexy Robot wrote: »

Dis' is going well.

That looks pretty sweet so far, Robot! Though the proportions of the gun could be changed a bit, to be more cartoony. Try shortening the barrel and making it fatter. Also, a bit of damage or tape to make it look old and put-back-together could be a good idea.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it in game.

1 down. 8 to go...... @_@

yQjf5.jpg

L7lpm.jpgAV92F.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocol0id wrote: »
    That looks pretty sweet so far, Robot! Though the proportions of the gun could be changed a bit, to be more cartoony. Try shortening the barrel and making it fatter. Also, a bit of damage or tape to make it look old and put-back-together could be a good idea.

I don't think adding any more detail is a good idea for this thing. It's packed with detail as it is. I'd rather have any damage done to the weapon via the texture rather than the model itself too.

Though fiddling with the proportions is a good idea however.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    Got it in game.

1 down. 8 to go...... @_@

yQjf5.jpg

L7lpm.jpgAV92F.jpg

I can hear the mumbling already.

Psst, mind if I make painted textures?
  • Pogo
    @ColonelBD your support bracket is upside down? It would probably work this way but typically this sort of truss has a horizontal beam on top and an inclined beam underneath to provide vertical support.Other than that, the biggest stage of the lens looks too long.
  • Masterlegodude
    This topic though it's on the second page, was only posted in yesterday, so i don't think this is that bad of a bump, right?

Anyway, back in February, i decided to make Christmas hats for Team Fortress 2, currently, they only serve as props in Garry's Mod, i'll have to work on getting them in game one day, i currently use Milkshape 3D, the latest version, but what would be a better program to use to make stuff like hats and weapons for Team Fortress 2?

There are multiple models, i've made them fit each class' head, this one is for the Soldier
    xmashats.png

I just thought i'd make a green one just to be in the Christmas spirit :P

They still need some work here and there, i'm also thinking of adding a jigglebone towards the tip, i don't model much, but i kind of like how these turned out
  • Mad Mike
    I really regret not coming up with this idea earlier. My progress is not as fast as I'd like it to be, particularly due to kind of a snowball effect this cart seems to have. I filled the chest with supplies and added a fist-shaped ram to the front. It just screams MANLY! That knife sheath needs a bit of improvement, will fix it.
    Medieval_cart_wip9.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip10.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip11.jpg
  • Yamo
    Working on my cavalry sabre

sabre_wip01.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Mad Mike,
    The carts looking pretty cool. I have been toying around with the idea of making a battering ram. But your cart is looking really cool with all the props, chest with weapons, grill etc so no reason for me to make a less cool one.

But I think the fist looks kind of hokey, doesn't really fit. A nice Ram's head up there would be more fitting and really put the last finishing touch on t I think.

Would also be very cool if the grill had fire, which snipers could light their arrows with.

Also for the medieval style I think a track and cart wheels wouldn't be as good a some big wooden 'cannon' wheels. Just a bunch of boards cut into circle with a few cross pieces, metal studs, metal wrapped around outside.

SCH42009-2.jpg?225.8723

PL maps don't HAVE to have tracks. It could be done by painting a dirt road and using some 'tire track' (obviously not tread, just darker dirt) overlays.
  • Rada
    i still think the cart should have been the giant wooden rabbit from monty python and the holy grail but whatever.

i was also considering doing a Colonel Custer pack for soldier with a calvary sabre but i guess yamo has it now.

progress, JZeeba and i are still deciding on what texture will be for our hat once i get back home i'll post the skin i have currentley and one of the recent renders.
  • Mad Mike
    Alright, got the model finished at last. 10 586 tris. Today I'm not going to bed until I unwrap it.

@ Baddcog: Yes, I know that there's no need for tracks. Though if I wanted to make the wheels like in that picture I'd have to make them rotating which is a bit of a hassle both for me and the mapper that would use my cart. Sadly, I don't have the time to play with it now, though I might consider making a revised version sometime later. The idea with having the grill as a fire source is nice, yet it also depends on how will the map creator feel (if anyone uses it that is) Regarding the fist, I wanted to be a little humorous in here, which is why I settled with a fist rather than the usual ram's head. Besides, the barrel is the main element, ram is more of a decoration to add some medieval flavour.

Medieval_cart_wip12.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip13.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip14.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    test1cr.png

sick and bored so have been messin around with texturing. deffinetly needs alot more texture work but here it is anyways, kind of a proof of concept.
  • Sexy Robot
    Offline / Send Message
    176f32000025f1fbd42dc2e78a6cc22c.png

Had some free time today, and this came out the other end.

UV is a major work in progress and demonstrated by the bad stretching on the barrel.
  • Doughnut Bear
    a little update. the mailbox in my opinion was looking a little to chunky so working on fixing that, also decided to remove the metal handgaurd as it did not work with the pyro's hitting animation. might also alter afew things. the still intend to keep a similar style texture to the concept i posted above.

@sexy robot- looks cool, reminds me of something out of the wild west
  • Apocol0id
    Nice rifle, Robot! The tape around the stock and holding the bullets to the side of the gun gives it a lot of character. Might help to make the barrel a little shorter and chunkier to give it a cartoonier feel!
  • Rada
    just an update here is what jteeba and i have so far with our helmet
    capture11l.png

i made some changes to that skin recently any opinions?, also i tried recreating the brush styles as was suggested using swizzle's paintbrush but when i make it gimp cuts off the faded edges so i just made a custom brush with 65% hardness and everything else set at zero

capture10p.png
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    @Rada: You should really bake out an ambient occlusion map, then set it above all your layers, and set the blend mode to multiply.
    This will help you create a better helmet.

Also, try to make those "swizzle" brush strokes bigger. They are not supposed to pop out that much, maybe turn down the opacity if you can.

Hope this helps.
  • ColonelBD
    Done some background work on the smg, hopefully fixed up the clipping with this version, the barrel was too high on the prevouis version.
    new_image.jpg
    BTW what is a good level for baking TF2 style AO on modo, mines currently on 150 Occlusion rays but I'm just wondering if theres a better level. Im just interested:).

@Benhenry:
    I think Rada already did an AO bake, he mentioned it a while back when posted something simular, he just wants to know if the brush strokes are alright.

I would however make those strokes bigger, although for me the opacity looks fine, and didn't Swizzle say in his guide that the brush strokes are done at high opacity. Texturings not my strong point though:\.
  • Ruskeydoo
    That conical barrel looks very jarring to my eye. Do they ever do that with guns?
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    lol i doubt it, bullets are meant to spin along the barrel, so it has to be straight.
    Foam bullets maybe...
  • Rada
    BenHenry i do have an ao bake map i just hid it and it is already set to multiply i just hid it when i posted the skin

in terms of the brush, gimp doesnt have an opacity setting in the brushes edit the close i can do is hardness and it is already at 65% when i do less than 50 it tends to be difficult to see. I tried making swizzles brush by copying the image and putting it inot gimp but gimp cuts off the blurred edges and makes the brush strokes solid again
  • Yamo
    ColonelBD: If anything, the gun should expand towards the end of the barrel rather than shrink. Look at other guns such as the spy's revolver or the demoman's stickybomb launcher. If you shrink the gun in the front, it gives the impression of weaker firepower (at least in the context of TF2's cartoony style)
  • Apocol0id
    That gun model's looking pretty good! I'd change the thickness of the front wooden piece to be at least 2x wider, it looks kind of thin right now.
  • farmboy
    So I'm fairly happy with these at this point. I'm worried though that it doesn't fit the tf2 art style too well with the mirrored look (and flat makes them look like shop/safety glasses, which isn't my intent). Thoughts?
    Also, with or without the hat and headphones?
    shades_promo_2.jpg
  • re.wind
    Modern ray-ban glasses in 1950's?! heresy!
    its a cool idea, but i might suggest a more contemporary design. uh, if sunglasses existed back then. did they? *shrug*
  • JZeeba
    farmboy wrote: »
    So I'm fairly happy with these at this point. I'm worried though that it doesn't fit the tf2 art style too well with the mirrored look (and flat makes them look like shop/safety glasses, which isn't my intent). Thoughts?
    Also, with or without the hat and headphones?

The sunglasses idea is good imo but I think this particular style doesn't quite fit tf2. maybe the aviators would look better but I think those are from the 70's...
    With that said, how do you hide bodygroups? is that in the qc?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they look like Oakleys to me. And Blade style came out in the mid 80's.

BUT, Earbud's came out in the 2000's and Valve included them.
  • farmboy
    Yeah, they're based on the Oakley M frame, which is the successor to the blades. My thinking was that scout seems like the athlete of the bunch; he's a baseball player and a runner in practice if not in explicit competition. As a runner myself, I couldn't live without my sunglasses, so I felt like it would be very in line with his character to have a pair of athletic eyewear.
    But as I said, having finished it, essentially nothing else in TF2 is shiny/mirrored, so I'm afraid that that characteristic of them differentiates them too much (and it looks like I'm not alone), but I feel like if I remove the mirror finish or use a different style of frames, they'll lose the athletic feel, which is what ties them to the scout's personality to begin with.
    JZeeba wrote: »
    With that said, how do you hide bodygroups? is that in the qc?
    Using the console command 'testitem', you can hide bodygroups when you select the model to test.
  • ColonelBD
    @farmboy: As they are they don't fit at all, I would suggest as Jzeeba said modifieng them to look more like avaitors. Or even taking bits of other glasses together to create your own version, or play around with the proportions.

@Baddcog: Thats true but I think using a teleporter as an example of this instead of the earbuds. I mean that hasn't even been invented yet but it there is in TF2, and it actually fits the style too. Sorry if im sounding nitpicky, its just that things like the earbuds jar with me a bit.

Changed the barrel of the smg as requested:
    new_image2.jpg

Haven't decided whether to keep it though, as I want to test it ingame first.
  • Manuca
    @colonelBD: Much better, It's more imposing now!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD
    I agree, I hate the buds. But they are there... Of course they were a promo for apple. Oakley sunglasses made by a fan might not have as good a chance of getting int.

Along those lines I submitted hats months ago and never heard anything :(
    And yet the engie mech eyeball looks like it's in and it is only a couple pages back.
    The other hats that it looks like are now in I haven't seen at all except the 'Doc' hair for the engie (from Back to the Future).
    And the engie teddy bear.
    They could be Valve employee or fan hats that just weren't posted on forums.

So to people who've had their hats accepted.
    Does it seem like they get accepted quickly, or do they sometimes use things that were submitted some time ago?

I submitted these:
    RocketRanger.jpg
    brain_drain.jpg

I've had fairly good reception on forums about them. People seemed to generally like them.

I know no one can really say what's Valve is up to/thinking/etc..
    But do they need work, would I have a better chance getting them accepted if I changed something?
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    ColonelBD, you should throw some iron sights on the end of the barrel. Right now it's looking kind of plain.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Rada wrote: »
    BenHenry i do have an ao bake map i just hid it and it is already set to multiply i just hid it when i posted the skin

in terms of the brush, gimp doesnt have an opacity setting in the brushes edit the close i can do is hardness and it is already at 65% when i do less than 50 it tends to be difficult to see. I tried making swizzles brush by copying the image and putting it inot gimp but gimp cuts off the blurred edges and makes the brush strokes solid again

I haven't made any tf2 models since the mobster pack, but I totally forgot that high opacity is good, you just want to barely alter the color itself.
    So for instance, take this color:
    color_1.jpg
    And turn it into something like this. and don't forget a little "wear" on the paint.
    color_2.jpg
  • Grand-O-Rand
    Manuca wrote: »
    Now the ''dead eye" with some adjusts and in game screenshots.

project.jpg

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Googly_Gazer
    Cheers, mate!
  • ColonelBD
    Wha...when did these come out, so there IS an update after all?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    When were these new items put in? Some of them seem to be on the wiki but there's nothing in-game yet.