Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations to everyone that got an item in game.

@BenHenry
    I feel like you are being lazy with the texture on the crab. By that I mean that it seems like you are deliberately avoiding putting detail into areas where there really should be. I think you should use the texture to define the areas of the crab. You should segment the legs and claws (like this: http://rasamalaysia.com/uploaded_images/black_pepper_crab/stone_crab1.jpg ). Simply making lines with shading on either side will do. It won't be hard to do and it will make it exponentially better because right now it looks like random blobs of color.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    here's something i made today, i think it's pretty understated though, so i won't consider them finished yet.

rageband1.jpg

hl22011041000353317.jpg

-

I also made this hat today, but I don't know if anyone will like it. maybe some girls. still WIP though

kitty0q.jpg
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Zipfinator
    I agree with you, I Will put some other label or just take off.

@BenHery
    Very stylish item!
    I personally prefer just "spycrab'' the crab is not so sinister, he is quite cute.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Rada wrote: »
    also EM' i think someone made your hat for the spy already i think gamebanana has it

Yeah, it was me ^^
    But I found that the hat fit better to the demoman
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    e763308ac3ed71900ed55e874129d498.png

WIP Detonator thing.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    RedSheep wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone that got an item in game.

@BenHenry
    I feel like you are being lazy with the texture on the crab. By that I mean that it seems like you are deliberately avoiding putting detail into areas where there really should be. I think you should use the texture to define the areas of the crab. You should segment the legs and claws (like this: http://rasamalaysia.com/uploaded_images/black_pepper_crab/stone_crab1.jpg ). Simply making lines with shading on either side will do. It won't be hard to do and it will make it exponentially better because right now it looks like random blobs of color.

I tried that a while ago and it didn't quite work. It ended up looking like bacon, and it didn't quite fit tf2.
    spycra.png

plus I realized that I had horrible seams at the time... So I fixed those in the new crab, and I thought the new texture was better for tf2 style.
  • Dr.Eggman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spy_pen.png

I'm trying pick good color for gold.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BenHenry

I like the colors and the way you stylized to fit in tf2 style, but here is just one suggestion how you could enrich the texture. And I kind of baked the joints to evidence the parts of its body.

crab_suggestion.jpg
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Oh and i forgot to say that i made a small adding to the bulletcrops pack (including a van and the two lightouse converted as skybox models)

Available here : http://www.minerality.fr/bulletcropsproject/
    http://simon-aublet.com/bulletcrops/bulletcrops-MAJ.rar

hope someone will like it and use it in his map

bulletcrops_maj_001.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Damn Manuca, I've been trying to get a luchador mask working for the spy for a while now but I couldn't get it done in under 800 tris and not have clipping problems with the facial animation. How did you manage this? Are you some sort of wizard?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    @BenHenry

I like the colors and the way you stylized to fit in tf2 style, but here is just one suggestion how you could enrich the texture. And I kind of baked the joints to evidence the parts of its body.

crab_suggestion.jpg

I really like that, time to get mudbox out!
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    I really like that, time to get mudbox out!

Might actually help to take out the highlights and make him look more clay-like. The whites of the highlights look a little too bright.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, back already and I really like the detail...
    crab_9.png

@Apocol0id: The reason there are highlights is so you see it in-game, I tried them without highlights and it looks invisible. But the highlights make it awesome in my opinion...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    Damn Manuca, I've been trying to get a luchador mask working for the spy for a while now but I couldn't get it done in under 800 tris and not have clipping problems with the facial animation. How did you manage this? Are you some sort of wizard?

800 Triangles? I shoot for under 1600 Triangles. That's what most of the hats in game are around.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    That crab is pretty cute. And yeah, they've loosened the restrictions a lot since TF2 Contribute started, without changing the suggested max polycount. There are items they've made which are incredibly tiny that exceed 2,000 triangles now.

These are only 692, but they're a simple prop. I think with a bit more texture work, they could be good to go! Maybe a bit springy, too..?

kitty1x.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    @Manuca: I'm diggin the luchador mask. I had a good chuckle when I saw that.
  • Doughnut Bear
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flare%20Red.png
    Flare%20Yellow.png

Detonator progress, texturing done by Pie_Tony.

887101d2371e27ca918c28e67afee3a3.png

And another 30 second model with working paint.

(hence the pink)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I know my items are kind of silly, but I need help and figured I would ask here. I have been searching the past 20 minutes or so, but can't find any information on what one needs to do to make an item paintable. I imagine it's something in the VMT, along with a paint mask, but the exact information eludes me.

Can someone please explain this? Possibly with example code?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    test3d.png

my slightly re-worked model with a quick base color layed down. imo it looks a lot better than the first, a lot less chunky in first person. crits offcourse are welcome. also if anyone knows a good tutorial for thong lighting it would be much appreciated, the model has way to intense shine making it glow largely in most areas of the map.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realized that people cant see the back from the screenshots. heres it from model view.
    78040385.png
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Doughnut: It looks fun but I think you'd be better off using more geometry. The phong highlights look really wonky and aren't really that appealing. I'd also recommend exaggerating the thickness of the flag. If you can, introduce some denting and character to the head of the mailbox, too. It's very CG-looking, without much life at the moment.

-

I've got paint working on my item, but only the base colour. I can't seem to get it working with 'paint with' in the testitem dialogue, nor do I have any idea how you guys are painting your items in the modelviewer. Anyway, it's a puzzle I've yet to completely solve...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    Doughnut: It looks fun but I think you'd be better off using more geometry. The phong highlights look really wonky and aren't really that appealing. I'd also recommend exaggerating the thickness of the flag. If you can, introduce some denting and character to the head of the mailbox, too. It's very CG-looking, without much life at the moment.

-

I've got paint working on my item, but only the base colour. I can't seem to get it working with 'paint with' in the testitem dialogue, nor do I have any idea how you guys are painting your items in the modelviewer. Anyway, it's a puzzle I've yet to completely solve...

PM me your Steam or something and I can walk you through whatever you need step by step. I'm planning on putting together some documentation on all of this TF2 stuff sometime in the next week to put onto the Polycount Wiki but I don't feel like writing down a large explanation in a post right now.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Zip! Now I know how too, so if anyone has trouble they can ask me as well. Meanwhile we can all look forward to some awesome TF2 developer documentation.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

-

thanks for the advice! ill definetly scale the flag up abit. as far as the dents go it has been mentioned by several people so i think its a good idea deffifently, i just gotta figure out a good location and a good way to go about them >_>
  • farmboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know my items are kind of silly, but I need help and figured I would ask here. I have been searching the past 20 minutes or so, but can't find any information on what one needs to do to make an item paintable. I imagine it's something in the VMT, along with a paint mask, but the exact information eludes me.

Can someone please explain this? Possibly with example code?
    Paint is applied via proxies. "ItemTintColor" takes the paint color and applies it to whatever vector property you want. as far as I can tell, TF2 is the only valve game that supports it. It's used almost exclusively with the "$color2" property in practice, which paints over the base vtf based on it's alpha channel (white = paint, black = leave, greys = mix base and paint).
    Here it is in practice:
    "$colortint_base" "{127 64 0}" //this color is used if there's no paint applied.  note that this is a variable, not a parameter
    "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]" //another variable, used to store the paint color initially

"Proxies"
    {
    	"ItemTintColor"
    	{
    		"resultVar" "$colortint_tmp" //dump the paint values into the temp variable
    	}
    	"SelectFirstIfNonZero"
    	{
    		"srcVar1" "$colortint_tmp" //if this !=0, use it
    		"srcVar2" "$colortint_base"//otherwise, use the base color
    		"resultVar" "$color2" //finally apply the correct color to the color2 parameter
    					//you can use anything that's a color-based parameter here instead of $color2, depending on the desired effect.
    	}
    }

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    kitty3.jpg

Thanks farmboy, that's awesome!

EDIT: Found a solution to the below issue. Apparently you have to assign the red skin in your SMD.

Nevermind what is below!

I got painting working perfectly, and am now trying to set up duplicates for the different team colour textures. I have this in my qc, and yet the respective VMTs are not found - model viewer says "***ERROR*** Model attempted to load one or more VMTs it can't find"... I know they are in that directory, since I can see them plainly. It is perplexing. If I remove this from my qc and assign one of the skins within the SMD, it works fine... but the texturegroup isn't working for some reason.
    $cdmaterials "models/player/items/pyro/"

$texturegroup "kittyears"
    {
        { "kittyears_red" }
        { "kittyears_blu" }
    }

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    test3d.png

my slightly re-worked model with a quick base color layed down. imo it looks a lot better than the first, a lot less chunky in first person. crits offcourse are welcome. also if anyone knows a good tutorial for thong lighting it would be much appreciated, the model has way to intense shine making it glow largely in most areas of the map.

Hey man, I think you should flip the mailbox around. So that the red flag is pointed the other way with the lid.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 wrote: »

In fact I had some problems to do that, but I made the mask slightly wider, leaving the Heavy's face free for his expressions.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vrav

I'm having the same problem that you, I can do the item paintable but for some reason I can't make the texture group work properly. My qc file is like this:
    $modelname    "my_projects/dead_eye/dead_eye.mdl"
    $body dead_eye "dead_eye.smd"
    $cdmaterials "my_projects/dead_eye"
    $cdmaterials ""
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
        { "my_projects/dead_eye/engineer_eye_red.vmt" }
        { "engineer_eye_blue.vmt" }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    // Model uses material "my_projects/dead_eye/engineer_eye_red.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_eye_blue.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition -0.585 0.000 73.214
    $collisionmodel "dead_eye.smd"
    $sequence idle "dead_eye" loop fps 30

• Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Manuca: The problem I had with my files was in the SMD. The SMD has to point at the first VMT... so you'd have to assign a material named engineer_eye_red to the model before exporting, or edit the SMD you are using to compile in a text editor.

edit: Oh, also I don't think it needs the path in there. Just put engineer_eye_red in the skinfamilies thing.
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy you're a little late on the detonator, it already has a contributor tied to its future release.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jman wrote: »
    Sexy you're a little late on the detonator, it already has a contributor tied to its future release.

I thought that might be the case... Would you perhaps happen to know if any other such items will be tied to its release?
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I thought that might be the case... Would you perhaps happen to know if any other such items will be tied to its release?

Please say paintball gun, please say paintball gun, please say paintball gun...
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideous wrote: »
    cowboy3.png

Modeled this one the other day. Was textured by Pie_Tony.
    Why has no one commented on this? I think it's awesome, I'd wear it over any Engine hat that's currently out there.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why has no one commented on this? I think it's awesome, I'd wear it over any Engine hat that's currently out there.

I think it's because it was his first post and it didn't show up for a bit so it got pushed back in the thread quickly. I recall seeing it and thought I posted about it but perhaps not. It is a great Engineer hat. Reminds me of something someone in a post apocalyptic universe would wear.
  • TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Is that also the case with the Quick Fix? I'd like to know because I recently finished this, taking the feedback I received from here into account. I already submitted it, but further comments would be appreciated.

Slightly old, before adding phong shading and a few minor texture changes.
    medigunhlmv.png

Current ingame

medigun.jpg

I'd like to make it into a set with a firefighting theme. I learned that during the Third Reich era, German firefighters were made part of the police force and began carrying edged weapons like bayonets. Seemed perfect themewise, but his melee animations were made with a saw in mind rather than a bayonet, so I improvised a solution and and attached it to a broken hand pump, which is a German invention by funny coincidence.

sawhlmv.jpg
    sawprofile.jpg
    Sorry about the quality, these were quick and dirty netbook renders of a model meant only to show the general concept.

I like the overall look of it, but I have a few concerns. I know TF2 is a goofy game, but is this too much? I wouldn't worry so much if it was another class, but this almost doesn't seem like the Medic's style. But then again, I would have said the same about the crossbow, so I don't know what to think. I also can't help but wonder if the firefighting theme is encroaching on the Pyro's territory. Any thoughts?
  • Chester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i cant get one thing... why ppl cant see that their weapons are total CRAAAP?!?! STOP ruining TF2 style idiots!
  • Pogo
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its valve that cherry picks some of these models, not the freelance artists.

very rude.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Very very rude, why the hell are you even on this forum if you don't understand how any of this works?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    this gives me an idea for a new weapon :

ban_hammer.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    Hi all! this is a new hat for Heavy that I've been working on. It was based on those Mexican Wrestling fighters. The white part could be paintable.

wrestling_01.jpg

absolutely great...

@MattQ86 - I was trying to make a Spy wrestler mask too but I kind of gave up on it XD
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Very very rude, why the hell are you even on this forum if you don't understand how any of this works?

It's called a forum troll.

@Jman source on confirmation on future release?
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

But I can still use and release mine. Just because it's not getting ingame doesn't mean it's pointless.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's called a forum troll.

Im guessing he got it off the wiki, its on the detonator page that the stats are indirectly ripped from the "Gentlemannes Olde firecannone" from the advanced weaponiser, so it would make sence that Valve could use the actual model, although the one of the weapons stats got used for the Backscratcher so its not a certainty.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7e1673130070cd60a0fee75fb89263ad.png

Mr. Bean's Teddy WIP.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Im guessing he got it off the wiki, its on the detonator page that the stats are indirectly ripped from the "Gentlemannes Olde firecannone" from the advanced weaponiser, so it would make sence that Valve could use the actual model, although the one of the weapons stats got used for the Backscratcher so its not a certainty.

I'm fairly sure Jman was referring to the fact that he himself submitted a Flare Gun not too long ago, along with a few other items to go in a set with said Flare Gun. That's why I asked if he had any other information on items being put in because they could possibly include the other items from this set he submitted.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Insider information?!.... interesting :P
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BenHenry thanks for the idea but i think ill keep it like it is. i thought of having held with the lid on the hitting end early on but then it just seemed better to use the blunt back end.