Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all. I've been wanting to take a shot at a non-cosmetic item, and the Medic is my favorite class, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a new medigun. With the Quick-Fix currently in the beta, I've been trying to design with its main attributes in mind, namely faster healing rate (higher pressure nozzle) and no overheal (less advanced, older style).

I'm still trying to get the basic design nailed down, so many smaller details like screws are missing at this point. Comments, criticisms, and suggestions would all be very much appreciated. =)

medigun_render2.png
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Apolocol0id: thanks, I'm currently working at that right now.

@Crazy-G: Yeah turns out I was using primary instead of secondary, got that fixed up now. Thanks for letting me know. It was late at night and I wasn't thinking properly.

@Tauvertex@ thats pretty cool, really liking what you did with the handle, although just a heads up I don't think it will work in game, the bit he will grabbing is at a different angle to the default grip so he will hold it pretty strangely.

Also that big bit that the hose is connected too is just too round, the orginal has a more blobby shape rather than a perfect circle. That kind of shape would fit well with it, make it more visually interresting.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    25yyavl.jpg
    That is a really cool buildable you've made there :O
    Now here's my advice, suggestion, and critique:

The problems with buildables that use a different base than the normal toolbox, is that unless it has a new view/world model and dispenser/teleporter counterpats... it's going to look rather inconsistent with the other buildables.
    If you want this in the game I would sadly suggest some things that would require more work... a dispenser/teleporter counterpart, a lunchbox view/world model to replace the toolbox, and a new weapon replacing the wrench.

If your buildable only replaces the sentry and uses the normal dispenser and teleporters, the placement of your buildables will be inconsistent since your model evolves from the lunchbox, and the default dispenser and teleporter evolves from the default toolbox. So you will first and foremost need a different view/world model replacement for the lunchbox. New dispenser and teleporter will likely improve our chances, but I reckon you would still have a chance without them. (Although I personally wish you'd also make it a dispenser, just because of how fitting it would be as a lunchbox)

The second issue is that Valve doesn't use "buildable-slots" for replacing buildings as some people anticipated they would when they made the Engineer update. Instead they use a new weapon model to indicate the changed buildable. (This means that to equip a new buildable like the mini sentry, you need to equip the Gunslinger replacement for the wrench)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate to be the idea guy, but I have another suggestion as well.

If you can't come up with a fitting wrench replacement, you could make a pistol/shotgun replacement if you turned your model into a dispenser/teleporter rather than a sentry. Since the Gunslinger as a wrench replaces the sentry, you can't have a pistol/shotgun that replaces the sentry since that would conflict with the mini-sentry.

You could however have a pistol/shotgun unlock that replaces the dispenser/teleporters since it would not effect the Gunslinger.
    Due to the size of your building I reckon it would be fitting as a Battle-Engineer oriented unlock, therefor making it compatible with the Gunslinger would be preferred if it replaced the dispenser and/or teleporters.

Sorry for the huge walls of text, I sometimes get too excited when I see something I like :P
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you animated the deployment of the lunchbox?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    TauVertex wrote: »
    Hey all. I've been wanting to take a shot at a non-cosmetic item, and the Medic is my favorite class, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a new medigun. With the Quick-Fix currently in the beta, I've been trying to design with its main attributes in mind, namely faster healing rate (higher pressure nozzle) and no overheal (less advanced, older style).

I'm still trying to get the basic design nailed down, so many smaller details like screws are missing at this point. Comments, criticisms, and suggestions would all be very much appreciated. =)

medigun_render2.png

Looks too much like a cannon barrel, wire is twisted a bit too much, and what is that hanging below it?
  • topher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a sapper that counters the Jag?

Here's a sapper disguised as a radio I'm working on.

jRv8Z.jpg

It's kind of a mix between these two radios.

I1rdv.jpg
    JM4c0.jpg
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Sone logo looks a bit like Mann Co logo... Be sure to put it on it, even though Spy Tech would fit better.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mann Co sucks balls and is a weapons company not a "every day appliances that kills people" company.
    Use Spy Tech, or look through the list of the many other companies in TF2 that isn't Mann Co, or make up your own company that isn't Mann Co.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Simski wrote: »
    Mann Co sucks balls and is a weapons company not a "every day appliances that kills people" company.
    Use Spy Tech, or look through the list of the many other companies in TF2 that isn't Mann Co, or make up your own company that isn't Mann Co.

Thank you!
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    topher wrote: »
    Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a sapper that counters the Jag?
    How exactly would a sapper counter the Jag? To my knowledge it doesn't do anything besides cause buildings to be deployed faster.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How exactly would a sapper counter the Jag? To my knowledge it doesn't do anything besides cause buildings to be deployed faster.
    I too would like to know this, but regardless I'd want him to continue his model since seeing a new sapper replacement would indeed be interesting.
  • topher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The Jag has a faster construction rate so I was thinking this sapper could have a faster destruction rate. : )
  • Just a Gigolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    topher wrote: »
    The Jag has a faster construction rate so I was thinking this sapper could have a faster destruction rate. : )

Valve picks what it does, not you.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    But they do let you make suggestions, and I suppose if it's good they will try to incorporate it. Can't hurt.
  • Phaser Rave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't seem to get this hat positioned on the pyro's head in game (this is a render within blender), though I am able to compile the model to source. I've searched around but still can't find a solution. Could anyone direct me to a tutorial please?

madhatterrender4.png
    http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Phaser_Rave/hatterblue1.png
    http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Phaser_Rave/hatterblue2.png
    http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Phaser_Rave/madhatterrender5.png
    http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/Phaser_Rave/themadhatter.png
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the overall shape more rounded and made the handle a little less boring.. but it still needs a bit more work since im not really happy with the ripped part on its "head".
    Suggestions or crits welcome.

gaspipe_wtf_ownage_wire3.jpg

@Phaser Rave
    Maybe you should try milkshape, I think it's a pretty easy and simple solution for rigging stuff.. well at least it worked for me.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    @phaser Rave: I would just set up a batch file, and then move the hat around until you get it right where it needs to be, and then add a skin modifier (if you are in 3ds max) and add the bip_head bone.
  • Chiff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tomm: Maybe you could make the gas valve a bit smaller or thinner? It looks a bit big for such a small pipe.
  • KevinLongtime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiff wrote: »
    @Tomm: Maybe you could make the gas valve a bit smaller or thinner? It looks a bit big for such a small pipe.

Then again the torso of the heavy is a bit big for such small, babyman legs lol
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chiff
    Thanks for the crit.. and yeah I was thinkin the same.. so I made it a bit smaller -15% of its original size.. it looks better imo, what do you think?
    gaspipe_wtf.jpg
  • Manuca
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all! I'm new here, I love tf2 and further modeling. Here are one of my submitions for contribute.

engineer_mad_eye.jpg
  • Chiff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tomm: Looks a lot more natural, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some screenshots of my new weapon "The Crutch Player" (Description: Tiny Tim needs his hats)

In a rather interesting twist the Boston Basher, the weapon representing this weapon only has a RED first person model which is why you won't get to see a BLU texture
    2011031900001y.jpg
    2011031900003.jpg
    2011031900002f.jpg

This would go best with a Baker Boy but all I've got is a Tosslecap :D

aside:placement is a little wonky though
    Aside: Amazement: nice synthetic eyeball for Engy from Manuca :thumbup:
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm new here, I love tf2 and further modeling. Here are one of my submitions for contribute.

engineer_mad_eye.jpg

The white and black eye makes it look too silly and out of place.
    Maybe something like team coloured light in the eye and make it flat instead of spherical.
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if this has been said many times, has the heavy chainsaw been released to the public. It would be amazing for the advanced weaponiser mod
  • Problem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that's all you can find to nit-pick about, then I consider it a success. :) I figure you'll only really see the drips in the viewmodel, and I wanted that view to be more interesting.

item_test0095.png

This model finally made me cave in and register here. I don't know a ton about modeling, but maybe I'll learn.

Anyhoo, it looks like there's a bit of clipping where the gun meets the webbing between his forefinger and thumb.

As you can see in the picture below, it looks like the gun has a straight edge underneath the barrel, but in the quoted picture above, it looks all curvy. I can't actually tell if it's clipping, but it looks like it.

That said, that is an AWESOME gun. Hopefully it makes it in. Something with attributes like making the sentry immediately target the enemy it's shot with, but it doesn't increase the sentry's range, firing speed, or health. And maybe if it did a little damage too, it'd be a perfect medium between the Wrangler and Pistol.

But great modeling and texture job! I LOVE IT!

MarkedManIn-Game.png
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so here is the texture for the hat jteeba and i are working on, i tried following swizzle's guide, but i have paint.net not photoshop and when i changed the opacity on the layers they had trouble showing up. here is what i have so far minus the ao bake and uv map let me know what you think. also im going to make the white parts team color but i don't knwo what Alpha channels to modify.

capture8ov.png
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Team colours are done by two different images. When you compile your model use $texturegroups skinfamilies in the qc (check it's usage on sdk docs) and specify your red and blue textures respectively. These will point to two vmt's of the same name which you can use to point to your vtf images.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Mad Eye? Harry Potter reference? In TF2?
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Eye? Harry Potter reference? In TF2?
    better than a comedic fish... oh no wait...
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Looks good, but I think, personally, the white eye is out of place in the game. But what MIGHT look cool, would be something similar to the dispenser screen, with a big square pixel as the pupil.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Rada wrote: »
    so here is the texture for the hat jteeba and i are working on, i tried following swizzle's guide, but i have paint.net not photoshop and when i changed the opacity on the layers they had trouble showing up. here is what i have so far minus the ao bake and uv map let me know what you think. also im going to make the white parts team color but i don't knwo what Alpha channels to modify.

It's a little hard to tell not seeing the tex on the model, but the splotches should probably be bigger/more square.

Get Gimp, it layers just like PS and can save psd's too. It's free.
  • Dr.Eggman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4848695.image
    4848403.image

Also I have idea about old-style pen (what's uses ink)
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ the scrub - You're going to have to make the scout a plaster cast for his foot.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent idea.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for your opinion! I thought it was very relevant and I came out with these two options, What do you think? I will need to change its name, any suggestion?
    adjust_01.jpg
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the one on the left the best.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the globe and red lens better than the other one with the screen.
    The left one looks terminator-ish, while the right one looks like a cute toy robot.

The sphere still needs a bit more advanced texture so it doesn't look plastic though (although you've probably already realized).
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mad eye and generic red eye cyborg are the two better ones.
  • NeoDement
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol Manuca... Resistance is futile :D
    I just know that sooner or later the Engineer is going to be a steampunk/Spy fi version of robocop

and Ruskeydoo I think a plastercast would be a neat idea
    as demonstrated earlier on this thread with the new Scout bodygroups for his legs it'd be a cinch to replace them with something else. Though It'd be harder to view my results as I don't have those handy dandy MNC promo items:(
    Though I'm confident I can just use the model viewer and give myself the items on a private server

Though he is a Scout who generally has intact feet
    I was going for the street Hoodlum/urchin approach that many Scout items go for (e.g. pestering old ladies :D)
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for your opinion! I thought it was very relevant and I came out with these two options, What do you think? I will need to change its name, any suggestion?
    adjust_01.jpg
    Oh, you do know in-game Engineer moves his goggles about when he's making expressions? They might rise up when he's angry for example... so your positioning will probably break.
  • bugcatcherjake
    I humbly request someone to model a simple hat in TF2 for the Pyro. I sort of had a mask-type hat similar to Man Ray from Spongebob in mind. Please tell me if you can. May the great Polycount gods have mercy upon me and thank you, thank you, thank you!mermaidman-barnacleboy-iii.jpg?format=jpeg&matteColor=white
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    ad7e01ffa3123d5a38291c156f8f9fbf.png
    359c812a4c19d4b7ff63a8936614f74d.png

The Soldier Parachutist pack I'm working on.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Dr.Eggman wrote: »
    http://plasmon.rghost.ru/4848695.image

Also I have idea about old-style pen (what's uses ink)
    I'd definitely go for the fountain pen tip.
    ist2_5101150-fountain-pen%5B1%5D.jpg
    http://www.6bestudio.com.br/arquivos/manu/adjust_01.jpg
    I think the original version with the glass eye works pretty well in the comical context of TF2. The texture just needs a little bit more detail for the iris and the sclera pushed to a more off-white colour, maybe with a hint of team colour to it.
  • Grand-O-Rand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all.

This is one of my "good" hats:
    b1fda08f9617.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Posting some new brushes in I just experimented with here. They're based off of the paint patch overlays.

TF2Painting02.jpg
    TF2Painting03.jpg

Also here's a brush that I got off of Polycount a year ago but I'm sure some people will not have found it yet.

TF2Painting01.jpg
  • Boomaconda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! I've been reading this thread since page 14 and just wanted to show off my first TF2 hat.
    c845b29f.jpg
    It's a Demoman hat based on Monty python's black knight.
    I'll try importing it tomorrow.

I'm looking for some advice and tips, so please give me some. thanks!