Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Grand-O-Rand
    An idea from poster...

W.I.P
    088ca071ea67.jpg

"Завод ждет тебя, инженер!" translated to "Factory is waiting for you, engineer!"
  • Rada
    because the poster is russian it makes it seem more attuned to the Heavy, which also works because there were alot of factories in russia, but i guess it could work for the engie

also i decided to use gimp to finish off my textures but i dont know what brush best fits it,also spay painting in gimp also makes a similar effect, i've read swizzles thing but that is for photoshop, can anyone using gimp for textures give me some pointers on what brush style works best?
  • ColonelBD
    Ok I've spent the last few days working on this granary style tank map prop, but ive hit a snag. For some reason the smoothing groups aren't being exported into milkshape when I use edge split any more. They just bleed over one another:

smoothing.jpg

Its a problem ive started having recently so I'm clueless on how to fix it. There are also some AO issues so I need to rebake aswell.

@Rada:

Depends on if it was only used by the russians, because if its just a plain old engineers cap, chances are the engie would have one. Im not that good with my hats though.

Just out of interest what kind of hat is that specifically, it reminds me of one of those millitary caps that officers wear that has had the front part sat on.

@Grand-o-Rama:
    Speaking of that, the one in the poster is not as flat as the you made, I would make it taller and more "peaky", makes it stand out more from the wiki cap and the railway hat.
  • Doughnut Bear
    @Manuca ooh! nice idea

@BenHenry wow that looks allot like my weapon O_o i dont wanna seem like im trying to avoid giving credit were credit is due but i cant say ive seen that concept before.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Don't worry, your mailbox looks nothing like Colossal's.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    That's fine DB, but good job on it though!
  • Problem
    An idea from poster...

W.I.P
    088ca071ea67.jpg

"Завод ждет тебя, инженер!" translated to "Factory is waiting for you, engineer!"
    Comparing the two, it seems like the engie hat sags a little too far forward. It'd probably help to see it from other angles, but that's the conclusion I've drawn thus far.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Finally finished this up and submitted it.

bicyclehelmet_06.jpg

bicyclehelmet_painting.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Zipfinator!

I would love to wear that hat!
  • Tomm
    I had some free time so I worked a bit on texturing, it's still WIP but this is what it looks like so far.. any feedback appreciated :)
    gaspipe_comp04.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Tomm wrote: »
    I had some free time so I worked a bit on texturing, it's still WIP but this is what it looks like so far.. any feedback appreciated :)
    gaspipe_comp04.jpg

I'm not feeling the pipe breaking silhouette. Feels like too many bends. Also the wheel looks kinda funky too. But the idea is really good and the rest of it turned out nice.
  • PHArt
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    I'm not feeling the pipe breaking silhouette. Feels like too many bends. Also the wheel looks kinda funky too. But the idea is really good and the rest of it turned out nice.

It feels like a branch of wood to me honestly. Though I really like the blasted off top.
  • ColonelBD
    I think thats the smoothing groups, he hasn't done them properly, so it looks really plasticky and wierd.
  • Rada
    so does anyone use gimp to texture their models, cause im using it now and i would like to know what settings to use.
  • Doughnut Bear
    whatever happened to Noors' chainsaw. that thing was awsome
  • farmboy
    My first 'hat'. The scout is a runner and a baseball fanatic. I felt he really needed a good pair of athletic sunglasses. It was totally worth not sleeping last night, and it's still a work in progress (put some stuff too close on the mapped textures).
    196411_1646403881232_1270950222_31429090_2014265_n.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    whatever happened to Noors' chainsaw. that thing was awsome

He finished it, submitted it and said he was done making TF2 items.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Ok I've spent the last few days working on this granary style tank map prop, but ive hit a snag. For some reason the smoothing groups aren't being exported into milkshape when I use edge split any more. They just bleed over one another:

smoothing.jpg

Its a problem ive started having recently so I'm clueless on how to fix it. There are also some AO issues so I need to rebake aswell.

@Rada:

Depends on if it was only used by the russians, because if its just a plain old engineers cap, chances are the engie would have one. Im not that good with my hats though.

Just out of interest what kind of hat is that specifically, it reminds me of one of those millitary caps that officers wear that has had the front part sat on.

@Grand-o-Rama:
    Speaking of that, the one in the poster is not as flat as the you made, I would make it taller and more "peaky", makes it stand out more from the wiki cap and the railway hat.

im assuming your talking about blender, and for the edge splits to work you got to apply the modifier and check to make sure the verts around the spilt got doabled.

also why use milkshape there is a very good 3rd part smd exporter for blender.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Rada wrote: »
    so does anyone use gimp to texture their models, cause im using it now and i would like to know what settings to use.

gimp can be a bitch to do textures in due to it not fully supporting channel editing which is needed for adding the specular map into the diffuse alpha channel.

also the settings to use for any image editor are pretty open, just look at references of the style you want and experiment.
  • Rada
    what about brush settings im trying to get to a style similar to the one swizzle has in his tutorial but comparing photoshop brush settings to gimp brush settings is like apples and oranges. airbrush helps me get the faded appearance when im doing layers but it just doesnt seem right, anyone have settings they tend to use?
  • Contrails
    A quick search comes up with a GIMP custom brush tutorial:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/

snag swizzle's brush image and play around with settings to achieve the look you want...

Anyways, I posted a while back about my caduceus medigun, but I'm finally getting around to finishing it

cadred.jpg

cadblu.jpg

I have a few more touch ups I want to make and then I'll see about submitting it to the medieval update (and valve)
  • Hideous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideous polycounter lvl 7
    cowboy3.png

Modeled this one the other day. Was textured by Pie_Tony.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    gaspipe_comp04.jpg

"The VALVe Stick"
  • nofacej
    gaspipe_comp04.jpg

I don't think what you've done with the grip works very well. Looks almost primitive and I'm getting wooden stick vibes from it rather than metal pipe. I've made a quick, ugly little paint over to try and show the direction I think you would be better off taking this in:
    pipeg.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    Still a real WIP but I'm just excited I got it into the engine :D

Oqn68.jpg
  • Tomm
    @BlvdNights
    Thanks for the crits :) the wheel should be fine now.

@ColonelBD
    Fixed now.. it was caused by bad smoothing groups as you said.

@nofacej
    That's actually a pretty good idea for the grip. Thanks for your paint over :) .. I think I'll make another variation to see which one fits it better.

and here's a pic of the actual weapon:
    gaspipe_comp05.jpg
  • PHArt
    Though I like it much better than the previous one you posted (the red wheel was really bothering me) it still feels a bit like a wooden branch to me. The twist just above the grip really doesn't feel like metal.

Maybe if you take out the hard edge and go for a smoother curve in the pipe? As if it already landed on someones head? I dunno, just saying. :)

How high poly is it actually?
  • re.wind
    Well, it looks better than the scrapped pipe, but it's too busy of a model, too much things that call out for attention. And thats simply it: every part of that model is calling out for attention, wanting to be the focal point of the weapon/image, leaving no point on the image as the dominant area of interest.

otherwise its quite good.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    1p54e.jpg

Think I'm done for the night.....unless someone's got some good critiques haha. I'll attempt later to get it in game on the Heavy.
  • farmboy
    farmboy wrote: »
    My first 'hat'. The scout is a runner and a baseball fanatic. I felt he really needed a good pair of athletic sunglasses. It was totally worth not sleeping last night, and it's still a work in progress (put some stuff too close on the mapped textures).
    More work on this today. I got tinting working with transparency (which is funny, because now I'm not sure I want to have any trans in the lens). anyway, colors!

Edit: hoping for criticisms. Is this any good? No one's responded yet...

shades_colors.jpg
  • Tomm
    @PHArt
    Thanks, with the twist it's at 1199 polygons.. but I removed it and it looks better imo.
    @re.wind
    Thanks for your crit :) As I keep looking at the model I have to agree, it's way too unnecessarily detailed.

Do you think its any better? and which one looks better to you? need some advice.
    gaspipe_comp06.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I quite liked the bend in the middle, myself. It made the silhouette a bit more interesting and distinct compared to other items in the game.

I think you're over thinking things. You've got a solid looking model. It's time to submit and move on to the next one.
  • PHArt
    Go for second one. Looks more like how it would be in TF2 (cartoony and compact)
    You've got a solid looking model. It's time to submit and move on to the next one.

This.

@BlvdNights, could you post a wireframe?
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    1p54e.jpg

Think I'm done for the night.....unless someone's got some good critiques haha. I'll attempt later to get it in game on the Heavy.

I really like it, I like the way you texture the hands and added those rounds on the back. Could we have an image of it on a head?

@Tomm: I like number 2, making it compact makes it look more like a busy model which is good in some circumstances. I think you need to make the top of the pipe like the bottom, I think right now its a little too much, and it doesn't look right.
  • Doughnut Bear
    dentx.png

finally got abit more work done. got it scaled to fit the pyro's hand with minimal clipping(clips slightly on the taunt animation). Now the important question: dent or no dent?
  • Mad Mike
    @ Tomm: First of all I have to say that it's pretty briliant. I also the bend too, but if you're gonna remove it, I'd say go with #2. If you're gonna keep the bend after all, keep it long, I think it wouldn't look as good with the bend cramped into such a tiny space. We should wait till you make the alternate grip anyway, so get to it.

@ Doughnut Bear: I'd keep the bend more subtle and try to place it where the weapon would be likely to hit someone (I don't know how is it going to be held) but I think a small dent in the right place could add flavor.

And now something from me. Had this idea pop into my head yesterday, late as always, though I'm gonna do it anyway. The thing is:
    How do you storm an enemy's castle in the most MANLY way available? Well, let me tell you. You ram and BLOW their gate UP with a giant barrel full of GUNPOWDER, that's how!
    And that's exactly what this bombcart does. If anyone knows what's the best way to have the wheels on the cart spin, let me know because I don't. So far I'm designing it to have the wheels covered anyway so that no one sees they're static in case I don't figure out how to make them spin.

There will be a chest with weapons in the back and a broach/barbecue type thing. The pole sticking out the front shield will have some sort of iron fist on it.

Medieval_cart_wip1.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip2.jpg
  • PHArt
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    There will be a chest with weapons in the back and a broach/barbecue type thing. The pole sticking out the front shield will have some sort of iron fist on it.

Medieval_cart_wip1.jpg

Genius man. Absolutely ridiculously genius. And very manly. As a matter of fact. I can't think of anything more manly.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mad Mike, the wheels on Valve's cart don't spin. You're shouldn't have to either if you make them right. Just don't put much unique detail onto them like geometry sticking out every 1/4 of the way or something. It'll make it obvious that it's not spinning. Looking nice so far though. For some reason the cracks in the barrel look off to me though.
  • ComfyCushion
    Looking cool, @Mad Mike. Though, the slats in barrels are cut to fit flush, so you wouldn't really see sych uge gaps between them. Maybe narrow the gaps a bit? Or make them more shallow. It just looks off right now.

And why not have a bunch of those old-timey round bombs on the back? Just a big pile of medieval grenades. :)

On the subject of the pipe weapon, @Tomm, I think the problem I'm having is that from the valve section down, it doesn't really look like a pipe. The wrapping on the grip makes it look like a gray piece of wood or something.

I actually agree with @nofacej's solution. His paintover effectively returns it to looking like a section of pipe.
  • Manuca
    Now the ''dead eye" with some adjusts and in game screenshots.

project.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have a good tutorial on how to import the hat for use on a character?
  • Manuca
    Anyone have a good tutorial on how to import the hat for use on a character?

I used these links:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536668

And if you are using 3dmax this is a great program to compile your models:

http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    Darn Manuca. I was working on a .qc compile program. I guess wallworm beat me :(
  • Ruskeydoo
    Main bod texture needs a lot of work and I need to add some detail to the top and the big blank patch on the left hand side... will be big in the view model and it's very plain right now... ideas?

5575057050_4dbd4315df_b.jpg
  • ColonelBD
    @Ruskeydoo:
    I would add some screws and stuff to the main body. However for me the entire jut looks really cubey and unatrual, so I would round out the top simularly to the original.

Also the iron sites aren't really doing anything for the model and stick out too much, if you do want to keep them I would suggest doing them like the scatter guns or maybe something like this:
    jackhammer.jpg

You could also maybe have some extra slugs taped to the side or on the cylinder.

There has been some discussion over at TF2Maps about doing a spytech "evil genuis pack"
    in a simular vein to the construction and swamp packs, and at the same time I was playing around with a more techy security camera, heres what i've got so far:

base_camera01.jpg

I want to keep the polycount too a low level, but I can still round stuff out if its necessary.
  • Mad Mike
    Yeah, I do know that wheels on the original cart don't spin, I was just wondering whether to make them rotate on mine. I improved the barrel a bit and added a chest on the back. Looks like I need to speed up the progress, I hope to have the mesh done until Friday. Foodstuffs, weapons and undercarriage left. And a bit of details here and there.

@ ComfyCushion: Olde-tymey bombe thou sayeth? Definitely gonna use this idea, it seems excellent to fill up some space in the chest.

Now, more questions. This is going to be a custom prop rather than a replacement, so that map makers can use it in case they wanted to make a Medieval Payload map of sorts. Is there anything special to be done or do I compile it just like a regular prop? Sadly, I have no idea about making custom maps.

Medieval_cart_wip5.jpg

Medieval_cart_wip6.jpg
  • re.wind
    @colonelBD:
    4 hexagonal bolts on the plate either need to be much bigger, or be deleted.
    The middle support is not required for the triangular support.
    The three bumps could probably be baked into the diffuse texture.
    you can save a lot of triangles by having you "zoom lens" structure of cylinders be seperate meshes, seperate cylinders.

i'll also just leave these speed-model renders here for reference. 610 triangles, more than enough for a detail prop that most people won't even spend a few seconds looking at directly.
    tf2_spy_camera_quick.jpg
    tf2_spy_camera_quick_wire.jpg
  • comomomo
    Offline / Send Message
    comomomo polycounter lvl 8
    Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    comomomo wrote: »
    Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet?

Sticky Threads seem to be reserved for more general threads or rules. This thread is on the front page 95% of the time anyway.
  • ColonelBD
    Thanks for those re.wind, really usefull :)

New iteration, dropped at least around 400tris:
    base_camera01_scale.jpg

I decided to keep the gap in the support to make it look more strealined and less attention hogging, and the joints connecting the bracket to the main camera, as I want to make it look like it can move around and follow you.

Plus I'm going to release have it in 3 parts so mappers can pose it how they want.