Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unofficial Character Mini-Challenge and Community Skill-Building Activity

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked up the 3 point shader, looks like it's only for Max, but a suggestion for something similar was Xoliul's shader, so I updated the previous post with a real-time using that. I had attempted using that shader in Maya before and wasn't getting great results out of it, but since I know how it works better, I'll make it a staple so my renders don't make people want to gouge out their eyes with a popsicle stick.
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    As a pretty big fan of 40K and a fan of them crazy helmets and such on the Eldar, I'm going to go with modeling one of them bad boys. I had to pull out of the warm up challenge with DW due to school, but if I keep on top of things this quarter I'm looking to get a lot of learnin' done building characters.

Things I'm looking to pull from the Eldar:
    -Cool Helmets
    -Egyptian/Protoss looking armor
    -Interesting shapes
    -Detail to the Fabrics used (like the quarians in Mass Effect)
    -Interesting gun design but still using blades

My favorite unit has and always will be the Seer Council. When you attach them onto the Farseer they are just rapetastic. I'm hoping to get a male character out of it, and bring some non space marine body type into it. Eldar have always been fast and agile to me, and they always wear sleek armor and such. I'm looking forward to this contest. :)

As for all the progress so far, they're looking awesome. It's gonna be a fun competition!!

EldarRefs.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Hands are ultra wip, those "cushions" on the shoulders will be some sort of pad, will see where that goes.

rendercd.jpg
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to have to get in on this. I'll be doing a sort of subversion; A tau, but in the fantasy warhammer universe. Concepts to follow, i still have to hunt down some more reference.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    For some reason I thought this challenge was canceled or something. Anyway, I had some spare time so I decided to start on something.

After reading through warhammer stuff and looking into the different ranks and soldiers within the Empire I decided to go with making a Captain of the Greatswords.

I just started with a head and messed around with it to get a good idea for a character and general style.
    Greatswordcaptainhead.jpg

The tunic collar and hair are really just rough place holders.

As for the rest of him, I'll probably use the little screaming guy in the picture as a starting point
    greatswordsLargeUnit.jpg I just really dig the poofy sleave.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Do you guys think it's too late to join/finish now?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends if you think 26 days is too short of a period of time to start and finish a model.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I dont think so, havent heard of ravenslayer since his last update and there are others that just eneterd this week so lets say we extend the deadline a bit? I got little time myself due to my examns so I wouldnt mind a deadline extension

@Neo_God: Nice start!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hal! Honestly, though what happens if you don't make it in by the deadline? Nothing! Think of the deadline as being there for sport.

Had some more free time today while waiting for a package to come, so I blocked out his overall size and structure.
    Greatswordcaptainbasicbody.jpg

Also drew out a design for his great sword
    zweihander.jpg
    Thinking of maybe toning it down a bit though.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Roll a dice. Upon throwing a six, this thread gets alive for five more rounds.

Made a basemesh for the head :)

head-1.jpg
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna throw in the towel on this one, classes ramped up, and I was instructed to start focusing more on environment work, so I may finish this guy sometime, but now is not that time. Good luck to everyone else, and have fun with the comp!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Its getting super dead in here...

So.. who's actually in besides me?

Worked more on the head

headbase.jpg

render85976590.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    And now into mudbox, detailing time

premudbox2.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good are you going to detail the armour much more in mudbox?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    thx! Yes I want to add all the smaller surface breaking lines and dots in mudbox because I am to lazy to subd them all in :poly122:
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waiting to see what you do with the knee joint. I love the shoulders and upper back.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting idea, I havent seen this as a joint up to now, thanks for the input!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Bit of progress

mudboxsmallb.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Some minor stuff to do, then its retopo time, pretty satisfied with the result so far

hope you like it :)

electrasmall.jpg
    closeups.jpg
    morecloseups.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah the detail, zips and such look absolutely awesome HAL! the face looks a bit flat, maybe it will look better once it's textured though :) great progress
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Well thank you!

Will take a look at the head again
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL! I am liking what you done here, good commitment. Nice thought to design on the armour, yet i would 2nd the knee joint, needs to bend, and the face might be alright.. maybe flat, depends how you want her to look in the end.

Neo God.. very nice work so far also. Good to see the fantasy version as well.

I referenced a load of stuff for a ratling sniper, or the harlequin death jester with skull face... and then this thread seemed to die out!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Ok done with the lowpoly so far, since nobody else works on this challenge anymore I raised the polycount to 25k.

lowwip-1.jpg

(also some older bake testwith 2 min uv layout)

baketest.jpg

e: qick bake of the head:

head-2.jpg