Unofficial Character Mini-Challenge and Community Skill-Building Activity

Replies

• Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Aw... disappointed. :(

There is always the other fantasy scifi role playing game. wink wink
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_(role-playing_game)

I totally understand not wanting to steal the thunder by doing Shadowrun but Warhammer? Can't we be a little more creative?

Here's some less over-saturated IP's:
    - Dark Crystal
    - Flash Gordon
    - Godzilla!! vs [insert your monster here]
    - Anything else!! lol

Hell I'd even be up for 'The Muppet's: Vegas Crack Party!' just to change the pace. :poly108:
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Malus wrote: »
    Here's some less over-saturated IP's:
    - Dark Crystal

ooooh...Jim Henson / Brian Froud stuff.

Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Muppets, the Storyteller, Faeries, Goblins etc, etc, etc.

That could be very good.

I would consider doing that as a seperate [Civil War]Stinger88 vs (others) if people want to take me on.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Big fat Tyranid Hive Mother concept brewing... i can feel it! *grabs wacom*
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Now I'm not sure how comfortable everyone is with the current theme but I'd find it more exciting if it was more random, and not very exciting either and try to make it cooler.
    Like... making the chef of the future or something. You know what I'm sayin?

Otherwise, designing your own muppet would be really cool.

Just throwing cents all over the place. :P
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably getting a bit too far ahead of the game here seeming as the subject matter may change yet again (hopefully not!) however i just had to sketch my idea down :p

I'm not much of a concept artist as you can see, but this will probably be the idea im rolling with:
    Hivemotherconceptdrawing.png
    I understand its probably a bit hard to tell what it is so i shall explain! Big fat egg laying mumma that gets carried around by four lesser flappy things holding onto corners of her egg sack xD

looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    This looks really interesting, may have to join in even though ive never done any character modelling before D: Would definatly be a steep learning curve but i'll see...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    YES Vehicles and hard surface is allowed.

GUYS Seriously... if the theme isn't what you want you are always welcome to go and make whatever the hell you want! Jesus why do you guys need a contest or challenge or someone else telling you what to make? Just go do what you want. It really is that simple.

To bitch and complain over anything and everything is really sickening. If you don't like Warhammer FINE... That is up to you. Go make what you want. Form up your own groups and themes and then go. Seriously, it has already been done by another group. Why can't you guys do the same? Wouldn't everyone benefit from everyone doing art no matter what the theme was. I said warhammer because of the options for vehicles and hard surface guys to get in on it too and the awesome monsters/creatures of the different races.

/Rant
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    peace and love , i wasn't all to sure about the Warhammer theme either but in the end it's still very broad when it comes to possibilities. It's an extra challenge to make things look more unique but still work within the given guidelines :)

charlie : only had to look up those 4k specific ones on the web :P
    anarchy : here you go http://www.leslievdb.com/temp/refsheet_big.png

lhazard : nice start :)

gilesruscoe: indeed hard to read but i see where you are going with it , make sure the birdy things look like they would be able to carry the entire mass
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure the birdy things look like they would be able to carry the entire mass

Yea.. i was trying to figure out what kind of size they would have to be.. and obviously spacing between them will have to be taken to mind so they dont end up hitting wings with each other :/ may just have to make up some fantasy bullshite as to why they can carry her.. low gravity or something ;) will probably make most the details up as i model as my drawing skills are lacking :p will do a few more sketches for size differences etc though.

Thanks for the feedback :3
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think what jesse is trying to say, is that if you don't like warhammer... gtfo my interwebz!

no but seriously, he's right, you shouldn't need a challenge or competition to pump out artwork that you enjoy.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Enough blabbing about this and just get to challenging yourself already. If this thread reaches 8 pages with no one participating I'll force Jesse to close the thread
    and make him look like the bad guy. My hands are clean! Mwuhahaahah!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    whatev adam. you're always guilty by association.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where's the art already?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where's the art already?

I've posted some!! D: although you cant really call that art xD will be working on my base mesh planning tommorow though!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam & Scudz next to the rants there are people actually working on entries :)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79663&page=5
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, ok yeah there's some sexy lady parts I'll give ya that.

and typing that text into a google image search is pretty awesome as well :poly124:
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Jesses right. Not everyone is going to like chocolate in their peanut butter. I've been scouring the internet looking for any good reference for a lasgun rifle or long las to do for this project but can't find one! Anybody know a good site for that?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been absent for a bit very busy at work... but i got all excited when i saw the other civil war thread... color me interested... lets get some art done!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Hahah, yeah. Why not everyone just feel free to pick their own tabletop setting to get inspired by, and contribute coolness to the thread. Why am I posting here without including art!? Detract those points!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now is as good a time as ever to work on the dreadnought I've been wanting to do :)
  • Ojah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ojah polycounter lvl 12
    havent done a lot of game-art in a long time, so this seems like a good practice to improve my normalmapping and stop lurking.
    So i browsed around and found these awesome tau mech models and made a simple proportions test.
    Comments are welcome of course, although there aint much to crit for now.
  • Builder_Anthony
    This is just a block out.I drew lines and converted them to editable poly.Im planing on extruding them after im satisfied with the blockout.I have a question....I have a group of objects but i drew somemore objects and they are not in the group.How can i add the new ones to the exsisting group.3dsmax11.ijb.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm feeling a new thread with the people who are interested should be made :/

Here is my progress:

render3-4.png

And my detail meshes that will all be normaled on:

render4-1.png
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double posting makes me sad :(

render5.png

edit:

jeez am I the only one working on this?!

render6.png
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    wow this is good. I might jump back in now. Maybe(Im still pouting over the theme change)

Look if you want to join then join but stop filling this thread with posts of oh my vagina has sand in it because the theme got changed. Christ make art or don't no one here is making you.

Come on guys!
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone comment on my art ;_;
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you should have credited arshlevon for his basemesh.

but other than that it looks like a generic IG officer.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lhazard : patience. take your time , there is no need to rush things :)

i think het should be more bulky like in the concept , did a quicky liquify with the mouse (don't have my wacom with me right now)

wunq09.gif
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Done a few sketches of where im going.

Mockupsheet.jpg

I was thinking on the tyranid/zurg swarms being able t o clone themselves on the go in scouting missions. So why not use the local populace for the carriers/ order relays? So yeah ended up with this.

I ran out of sage green copic marker ;__; so i had to use ice blue :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... its like an attachment that goes onto people that makes them controlledby Tyranids.. which fly around, scout etc? Nice concept! will be an interesting model :P what are those propellers? some kind of bone or are they like mechanical add-ons :o?
  • HappyFool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HappyFool polycounter lvl 10
    Hello all, i've never posted anything because most of my work doesn't get finished (i suck at texturing). So i decided what the heck i'll go with the chalenge. So i found a character called Eldar Harlequin ShadowSeer. I'm not sure if he fits in Warhammer cause i never played it. Hell i don't even know if it's male or female (i'll just go with the flow). I am a begginer (noob) so this will be just a practise to me. I am not sure if i'll finish it but i'll do my best. But anyway here is some reference:
    yeah1294244300.jpg
    The pictures haven't been drawn or sculpted by me... All credit goes to the authors :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Looking forward to joining this. Gonna be makin some Orks stuff. Once I get off work I imagine I'll be on for most the day.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a Warhammer noob, and I wasn't actually intending to enter, but I was just sketching away and ended up with this:

bjcwug.jpg

Lelith Hesperax on the 40k wiki: "Her preferred combat dress is to expose as much bare skin as she can..." x_x
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah in the older DE codex she literally danced naked through a party of orks, inflicting the tiniest of cuts over and over until they died of exhaustion/blood loss.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Lelith is who I want to be doing as well. My portfolio is seriously short on female characters.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ravenslayer; I know there's no need to rush but I'm just so into this its hard to stop :)

Thoughts on this head? the battle scar I want in some shape or form, was wondering about the actual face itself though?

render8.png
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lhazard I love the scar and the head overall lhazard, the only thing that slightly bothers me is the cheek area to the side of the nose. The wrinkle/line looks a bit deep but I may be wrong or it may just be the angle. I'm not good with anatomy haha.

picsheet.jpg

Heres some quick shots of the warhammer piece I plan on attempting. I'm going to be focusing more on the Rhino mount then the ride as I find it much more interesting.
    Sorry for the crappy photos I just snapped them real fast.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    stuff.jpg

And some crappy sketchbook scans

concepts-1.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Holy shit, when did the theme become Warhammer? I clearly haven't been paying much attention. I've got to find the time to get in on this..

Cool work so far!

Ihazard
    The eye opening seem a bit high(particularly the scarred-over one). At first glance I thought the bags under his eyes WERE his eyes.. and thought it looked more natural.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice to see some activity , should start modeling myself :)

Hal: watch the proportions , i like the bulky design of 3

lhazard: here i am again with some visual feedback :p
    you should put more edges in the face, also the eyes should have eyelids instead of those thick masses
    2dlug5w.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah, looking at it for so long makes it hard to see errors but I knew something wasn't right, I guess a lot :) thanks for the paintover, I'll keep going at it
  • HappyFool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HappyFool polycounter lvl 10
    Well here's what i got so far. I think that's it for today.
    All C&C are welcome. And please if you think something needs to be fixed do tell, you'll just help me get better :D
    eldar01.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    nice to see some activity , should start modeling myself :)

Hal: watch the proportions , i like the bulky design of 3

hah thx for the critique, I know that the legs on those pencils are awkward short it just looks wrong XD, went away from my 5:3 rule there :(, tried to utilize it in the silhouettes though

3 looks definitely cool but I like 2 and 4 as well

Definitely start modeling, this threads needs life :)

On to the critique:
    lhazard: Definitely what ravenslayer said, for the tough guy look the face is way to soft at the moment so try to harden it up a bit

HappyFool: Watch out for the eyecatchers in those reference pictures you choose,
    at the moment your mesh seems more like a cylinder shape silhouette wise exept for those pipes, try to widen the shoulders a bit maybe that will help and add interest to the shape.

Is that a base mesh or a blockout?
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Hell yes! 40K! I gotta do something :) gah if I have time... Ohwell im looking forward to what everyone will decide to do!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good work all! keep it xD my pc is now fixed so i can finally start playing with some Zspheres xD
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is better

render9.png

render10.png

to-do:

Lightning claws, Las pistol, Eagle companion..

Question: Commissar cap or Swept back hair?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    go back to subdivisions 1 or 2 on the head, define him more, he's too.... well, blobby.

you've got like 2 months to work on it, so take your time.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    early wip,
    it's a real struggle to get the forms in there, that's why i'm sculpting the full nude first just to practice (started from the arshlevon basmesh)
    4kwip1.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Hazard Niceeeeeeeee! :D
    @ Raven, looks like a nice start, maybe a little chunky around the thighs?

Anyway.. my 15min sketchy getting down some base shapes:
    nidstart.png
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    tags: human, tau, aztec

mporeof2.jpg

Ravenslayer:

Nice progress!