Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    can't get anything done today. I just keep re-watching that badass trailer.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, those realtime segments look fantastic.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I can't resist, I'm going to have to get the collector's edition. Easily my most anticipated game of the past decade. Next Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Also, I was given to understand that it will be possible to script your own in-game cutscenes using the engine. Has anyone here tried doing that with the Beta? I haven't been able to figure out how yet.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't think those tools were in the beta, you can do in game "cut scenes" but not the fancy real time stuff they showed off in the trailer. HOPEFULLY those tools will be launched with the game, but who knows.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    God... I really don't want to waste months or years playing Starcraft again.. But it's sooo hard to resist, especially with these fantastic trailers ...

Blizzard has discovered the formula for digital crack ...

P. S. Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.. Those cutscenes look phenomenal...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Yep, possible. There are some art import tools that recently received animation support for IK chains. They're not the official tools but they work ok if you're really itchin to get stuff in the engine.

http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/m3-export-plugin-3ds-max/
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    has anyone got the orignal client downloaded before the game comes out?

It says we were suppose to activate it and pay later..whats with that. Have they given us access to download the client and play until our SC2 copies arrive?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can download the game, but you can't install/play it until its the release date and you activated with the blizzard servers.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna try and head to the nearest Best Buy Monday morning to find a copy. First 30 people get a tshirt.

Now the probability of me actually succeeding is really really low, and I'm not even sure the game will be in stock after the midnight launch party, so if I fail I'll order a copy for pickup which is going to tke a few days. If I preorder now I most likely won't get it delivered home on Monday either, so I thought the monday morning is the best choice. (I can't preorder and pick up in store, not in Best Buy nor Future Shop. :/)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm going to game stop for the midnight launch because they supposedly are going to handing out a bunch of cool stuff.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so that client is actually activated automatically until you get your copy?

its kinda weird. =\

I've already reserved a copy of collectors edition of SC2. I did it online so I wont have much fun waiting outside the store since 3 am to get my copy. Lets hope that Purolator finds me house this time >.<.

Anyways, I have my copy reserved already and paid for. I hope I wont get charged for double (one for getting SC2:CE from EB games, and the other for downloading the SC2 installer."
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I dunno, I think I confused myself/you.

If you got the game already to bought it through blizzard or some how got the final release of the game, you can't install it till its launch day and you registered online.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Gamestop, you better have my copy of the CE! (I had a fried got screwed out of a WOW:CE cause the made too many pre-orders)

Apparently the Futureshops in Canada are giving out Noise Cancelling headsets (for the mic I belive) Wouldn't mind a SCII hat either.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    Gamestop, you better have my copy of the CE! (I had a fried got screwed out of a WOW:CE cause the made too many pre-orders)

Apparently the Futureshops in Canada are giving out Noise Cancelling headsets (for the mic I belive) Wouldn't mind a SCII hat either.

Yeah but you need to be at the midnight launch party and be one of the first 20 people. You can get the hat if you preorder.

Best Buy is handing out Sidewinder mice.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    A hat?, 10 first people here at webhallen stockholm gets the buy collectors edition for 1 sek ( ~ 13 cents )
    and everyone who is there during the release event gets to buy the game at a discount.
    And I'm not even starting to mention the rest of the give-aways.

There, national e-penis launch detected.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    May I put in two little questions in here?
    Probably they have been posted here already but the search did not give me the answers. And reading through 33 pages... meh.

1st and most importatn:
    I got 4 Brothers (thus "THE 5" ;p, hehe) and we used to play our custom Warcraft 3 Maps A LOT. This was just possible since good old WC3 was playable LAN with only one CD-Key and mith some patch no CD was required to launch it anymore, too.
    Now how is it for SC2?
    Can me and my Bros still paly this LAN with a single bought copy of the game, or would we need to buy it several times (especialy verry money consuming seeing that each new campaign would require buying several more full price games). Also, is there online registration required? Meaning, can it be installed and played on multiple machines at once?
    For big families like mine, nowadays Copy-protection and such realy is a pain.

2nd:
    Any rumors about getting own Models into the game?
    It was possible in WC3 but only with old MAX 6 and some funky export plugin, so I never could get my hands on that.
    Since this game shurely was made with a newer version of Max (or any other app) I suppose there will be tools for exporting cutsom models into the game, aviable for current 3D apps.
    Anything known about Blizzard releasing their own exporting sollutions? (In case the old WC3 exporter was such a "official" tool.)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It requires you to register the game with a battle.net account, which you will login with.

so theoreticly you have to login to battlenet once to play singleplayer, and every time you want to play multiplayer.

There is Lan in terms of latency, but you'll have to be online while playing any kind of multiplayer, sorry.

So one account per person playing.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone in the UK preorder the CE with Amazon?

They've been hit and miss with pre-orders for me in the past, sometimes delivering a day or two early, sometimes a week later. Needless to say, my copy hasn't arrived yet although it's not due out til tomorrow I guess so fingers crossed.

I preordered the CE months ago when it was first announced but haven't heard a thing since, would be good to hear if anyones UK Amazon orders are shipping out yet.

So damn excited.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah thinking of getting the CE as it seems pretty reasonably priced... would be great to get hold of that juicy art book and dvd :P
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    catstyle wrote: »
    yeah thinking of getting the CE as it seems pretty reasonably priced... would be great to get hold of that juicy art book and dvd :P

If it's anything like the World of Warcraft CE's then I would honestly say the Artbook justifies the price in itself. I'd happily pay the extra £25 if the book was the only extra.

The one with WotLK is a good sized hard-back nicely bound book, with some incredible artwork in from sketches to painting, characters and environments. None of the 4 page postcard sized 'book' crap you sometimes get with other CE's.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, blizzards collectors boxes has always been worth it, especially in a world where equally priced console game special editions will just give you a small metal box with some postcard sized artbook, if you're lucky.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Midnight can't come soon enough.

>_<

ARRRRRRGHHHHH
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    those collectors editions sell out quick, amazon is out of em last time i checked so you guys better hurry up and decide!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it looks like I fucked up the dates. I thought yesterday (sunday) was the 26th. Thank god I checked last night or I would waste a morning today. :/

Best Buy says there are a guaranteed 100 copies of CE on the midnight launch. I wonder how many regular copies they will have.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Oh god just one day left. I'm gonna walk by the store just for fucks sake and see if i can pick it up. otherwise i'll just download the suckers (yeah, digital purchase).
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I've got to call the local Best Buy and see if they are going to be open at midnight. There are actually several BBs within close driving distance of my house, I'm sure one of them will be open. I checked out my brother's copy of the World of Warcraft CE over the weekend. Soundtrack, hard-back artbook (coffee-table sized), making-of DVD, and even a cloth map of Azeroth. If the Starcraft II CE is even close to comparable, I'll drop $100 on it without batting an eye.

I haven't been this stoked for a game release in nearly a decade.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha! Just got my dispatch email from Amazon. Collectors Edition is scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

Soooooo cannot wait!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Picking up the CE today midnight. I think im gonna play single player first, I expect awesome.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Picking up the CE today midnight. I think im gonna play single player first, I expect awesome.

Doing the same thing. Cant wait!
  • rawkstar
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Gamespot where I pre-orded is the only one not doing midnight. But they are opening at 8am... waking up early, damn!

Hoping the artbook is good. There is leaked video of the CE unboxing and it looks abit smaller than the artbooks of WOW.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51zg6-bVFpQ[/ame]

Ah, I miss the time when all PC games came in giant boxes. Any normal game had a box almost as big as that CE :P
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I'm so pumped for SC2... especially for the modding capabilities (like with ye old WC3)
    Now I just need to get SP1 to install on my damn Vista PC
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ^if it's one thing digital downloads can't reproduce, is sealed packaging goodness, and cracking it open! :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Just think - right now, on Oxford Street in central London, there's probably a huge line of people waiting (or 'queueing', as some people quaintly say here) to get their hands on a copy.

Hell, some of them have no doubt already got it, and are speeding home on the Tube right now, already planning their excuses for calling in sick tomorrow morning.....
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Im installing right now! Hell its about time!

Best installation ever!
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Damn you Europe!!!......j/k :p
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    FOUR HOURS TILL LAUNCH IN EST.

sooo pumped. why sleep? :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm leaving in 1hr 45min for the launch party. :D
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    danshewan wrote: »
    Just think - right now, on Oxford Street in central London, there's probably a huge line of people waiting (or 'queueing', as some people quaintly say here) to get their hands on a copy.

Hell, some of them have no doubt already got it, and are speeding home on the Tube right now, already planning their excuses for calling in sick tomorrow morning.....

I can't come in, I've got SC.. Starias Craftinium... it's like a fever... I just need lots of Red Bull and the lights off
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    The art book is so dam awesome!

and the rest.. but i love the art book <3
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Im installing right now! Hell its about time!

Best installation ever!

The storytelling thing in the installation was awesome, especially for someone who hasn't actually played SC1.
    It definitely is the best installation ever :p
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me and a friend drove to a 24 hour wall-mart the next town over, there were maybe 12 people in line, and I was able to get the CE without a reservation. I just got back and am a happy dude
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Installing in California, seems this sucker is fully launched :)

Ah balls, can't buy the digital copy till the morning, guess i'll have to get some sleep tonight.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    kl6dZ.png

I have a dilemma, Do I keep this or do I trade it for the art book and making of dvd.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trade it. Space marines won't impress the chick/dude/sheep you take home. Artbooks you can blame on you being artsy and sensitive and all kinds of awesome.

Anyway.

My girlfriend hooked me up with the collectors edition, She used her wiley charms. No preorder needed. Fuck yeah! I'm marrying that one!

/Edit for political correctness!
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Space marines won't impress the chick you take home

Ha. Riiiight. 'cause all of us take home the chicks, yeah?

Anyway. This "wait until 10 AM to buy it from the digital store" business is RIDICULOUS. I want it now. Now. Now. Now.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha. Riiiight. 'cause all of us take home the chicks, yeah?

Anyway. This "wait until 10 AM to buy it from the digital store" business is RIDICULOUS. I want it now. Now. Now. Now.

Campaignjunkie. Ok sheep then.

The digital store is bullshit. They sell the games for 60 euros. In some stores you can get it for 31... or 40 (more nomal) but 60 euros for the digital one? Come on...

The collectors edition goes for almost that price (I was going to buy the digital one ). Here i was under the impression that digital meant cheaper.