Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Elbagast
    Something I've been working on this week:
    TF2_Scattergun_WIP_by_Elbagast.png

It's loosely based on the Browning Auto-5 shotgun, with many of the shapes exagerated and a drum magazine built in. The magazine would've been centred if there hadn't been a load of obvious clipping errors. It's currently missing the fine details so they'll be next. The texture and UVs are just a quick and dirty basecolours thing for testing.

I've got a new-found respect for the guys who had a go at replacing the scattergun in the contest...it's got all sorts of size and positioning restraints, and it has to look like it has a high damage output without being too big...my hat goes off to you guys!

@Pierate: Is the shell in the correct place when you look at just the weapon?

@Zipfinator: mmmm nice and smooooth there
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Cool scatter gun! I really like the ammo canister but have you tried it on the other side of the weapon? It'd add a lot more visual interest to the first person view. Also that hand gaurd looks kind of strange in my opinion. Maybe you could try out some different widths or styles to make it a more defining feature of the gun or just remove it altogether.
  • Elbagast
    It currently has just a hack of the original trigger area, I need to build my own. I'm contemplating building multiple versions of this (e.g. one without the pump lever) but for the moment it has to be there to be compliant with the existing animations and give me an idea of limitations for them.

I agree that having the drum on the right makes the first person view a little plain (at least without detailing) but it's an unfortunate limitation of how the scattergun is held and operated - if the drum is even just centred it'll simply clip noticabely into his palm and you'll be staring at that error the entire time you use the gun. If I mirrored the current setup it would go right through his wrist. I'll probably have another play around with the positioning next time I work on it so there might still be a way of dealing with it.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    i like the look of the drum on the right side, if it was in the center, or on the left it would look to similar the scatter gun i think. on the normal scatter gun the shells eject from the right side, you simply switch add a slot on the left side or top of the gun, where the shells could eject for more visual interest. and all you have to do is re-locate the joint that spawns the particle effect to the left side and rotate it 180 degrees.

i also feel that the stock and iron sights are kinda bland as it is right now.
  • Tehrasha
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    Simski wrote: »
    It's very nice for a first attempt.

Currently it has too many unnecessary details however.
    You don't need that many spikes, and I don't think overly pointy things fit the TF2 theme all too well.

If you eventually want Valve to accept this as a community contribution, I would also recommend making it cover his face less.
    It is likely that hats that covers or clips with the misc items is not going to be accepted by Valve.
    Please use this as a reference if you plan to fix this later on.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Whiskered_gentleman

The number of spikes was taken from the image I used as a reference for this style of dragon head. Thought about replacing all of the spikes with a 'fan' of 2D polys, and then using a transparent texture to lay on the spikes. (like the feathers in previous indian head-dresses) Have not attempted it, because I am not entirely sure how to do it... yet. That would also significantly take the polycount down as well. :thumbup:

Maybe I should submit this as a misc. item instead of a hat. It would be easier to make it not clip with the current hats than anything facial. Making room for the 'Whiskered Gentleman' (or especially the iPod ear buds) would virtually destroy the entire mask as-is. Otherwise, I might as well pack it in now, and quit while its a head.
  • a gentlman
    JoshuaC: Looking fantastic man, although I prefer your original darker color scheme :P

Elbagast: Great aswell, imo it looks better than both of Valve's scatterguns, hope it gets in-game soon :) But I agree on moving the drum canister to the left or middle side, would probably be easier to make reload animations for it that way as well.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    need some honest critique on my paint filter mask.

paintfilter1.png

does it make the engy look a little to creepy?

Edit: this project has been scraped.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I'd simplify it some. also you may just want to look at the pyro and take some shapes from that.
  • Elbagast
    @AAA_battery: A new trigger guard/lever would probably make the rear section look a lot better, the gun it's based on also has bits of mechanism poking out the sides so that may be something to look into (maybe even linking bits to the lever bone). As for the shell ejection, the scout holds the gun to his chest to pump it so they'd fly into his chest/face if they came from the left, though moving it to sit on the top/right would probably work. Other than that, detailing just generally needs work.

Regarding your mask, the shapes of the filters make it seem a little modern, a quick search turned up one shot of confirmed older style dust masks and the filters are all circular (same shapes as the Pyro's). Your call though.

@a gentlman: Thanks, I will be looking into the drum postitioning again, so it'll come down to what I feel I can get away with.
  • n88tr
    Update:

Part 2 includes a collage image of the Tier 3 WIP. It's coming along nicely I think. Tier 4 will be a bit overkill but that's what I'm planning on once I get Tier 3 finished. I don't want to say too much about it, it's that fun!

TF2StyleSentries_WipTier3_1_th.png
    Full Image: http://cahemdue.net/images/TF2StyleSentries_WipTier3_1.png
  • a gentlman
    Very nice, n88tr; maybe you could make the box in the middle a little more interesting though?

How many polys are that anyway :P?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great n88tr, but I have a few suggestions. It's looking a bit futuristic. Maybe you could make it seem more steampunk and built out of locomotive train parts or something? The general detail on most of the shapes definitely looks too futuristic though.

Also I'd advise against small engravings like that since they'll either look bad on a low resolution texture or they'll need too high of a resolution texture to be acceptable.
  • tex_cookiedough
    looking for crits here =p sniper's croc tooth necklace... works in game same way as in the vid
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHK1dx2YBkM[/ame]

76654927.jpg
    77633258.jpg

so yeh lookin for crits here =p

oh yeh umm.. less than 600 tris

has jigglebones (as seen in video.. also phong is in vid lol) incase you dont wanna watch it
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty nice in model viewer. Could we see it on the player? Just load the sniper model, go to File>Load Weapon and select the necklace.
  • tex_cookiedough
    sure.. here you go :D sorry for low fps recording.. forgot camtasia doesnt keep that setting :|

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZVaZlckRc[/ame]
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good but I'm not sure that it'd be extremely noticeable in game.
  • tex_cookiedough
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Looks good but I'm not sure that it'd be extremely noticeable in game.

hmm good point.. not sure what to do about that..
    was thinking maybe attatch a particle effect and stealing a line from the gold wrench..
    infused with ancient power or something *shrug* not sure how to go about it tho or if it would suck :poly142:..

any other suggestions?

:poly134:
  • a gentlman
    hmm good point.. not sure what to do about that..
    was thinking maybe attatch a particle effect and stealing a line from the gold wrench..
    infused with ancient power or something *shrug* not sure how to go about it tho or if it would suck :poly142:..

any other suggestions?

:poly134:

How about just making the rope longer so it's closer to his chest, would be easier to see, red-on-gray is easier to see than gray-on-white. Also, you could make it a little whiter and yellow-y at the bottom, like this
  • n88tr
    a gentlman wrote: »
    Very nice, n88tr; maybe you could make the box in the middle a little more interesting though?

How many polys are that anyway :P?

Yeah the middle box needs work. Didn't I call this a WIP?? Well it is...

Polycount is pretty high, it's just a nice high poly model for fun. Not designed to go anywhere.
    Looking great n88tr, but I have a few suggestions. It's looking a bit futuristic. Maybe you could make it seem more steampunk and built out of locomotive train parts or something? The general detail on most of the shapes definitely looks too futuristic though.

Also I'd advise against small engravings like that since they'll either look bad on a low resolution texture or they'll need too high of a resolution texture to be acceptable.

It's too far along to change the major parts I think but I like your suggestion!

I agree some shapes are too small like in the back where it connects with the cables and stuff, sort of weak-looking. I can fix that as time goes on. I was trying to move away from a straight-up copy of the Tier 3 sentry in TF2.

The engravings I'm doing for fun again, just to see what they'd look like.

Thanks for the love. Tier 3 is still a WIP and is coming along nicely. Once it's done, Tier 4 will be my next objective.
  • Simski
    Tehrasha wrote: »
    The number of spikes was taken from the image I used as a reference for this style of dragon head. Thought about replacing all of the spikes with a 'fan' of 2D polys, and then using a transparent texture to lay on the spikes. (like the feathers in previous indian head-dresses) Have not attempted it, because I am not entirely sure how to do it... yet. That would also significantly take the polycount down as well. :thumbup:

Maybe I should submit this as a misc. item instead of a hat. It would be easier to make it not clip with the current hats than anything facial. Making room for the 'Whiskered Gentleman' (or especially the iPod ear buds) would virtually destroy the entire mask as-is. Otherwise, I might as well pack it in now, and quit while its a head.

If you make it a misc item instead of a hat, then You'd have to make it not cover his head as they probably wouldn't want it to clip with the hat. Making it both at the same time is most likely out of the question.
  • Andrew Mackie
    tex_cookiedough- I love the Croc's Teeth necklace! Could you possibly link me to a site that teaches how to import into the model viewer and make jiggle bones?
    I feel like more TF2 players need misc items, right now there is pretty much only the camera beard.
    Great job!
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 13
    More texture tweaking.

pug2_color_test5.png
  • Dalmationer
    JoshuaC wrote: »
    More texture tweaking.

pug2_color_test5.png
    Nice! really cool model :D

Loving the work here! I seriously doubt that the next contribute pack will be as rubbish as the last one.
  • OMGod
    JoshuaC wrote: »
    More texture tweaking.

pug2_color_test5.png

Very nice work. Did you change the greyed part from the last time? I feel that it was a lot brighter, but it looks much better this time for some reason. Did I read you say you made that in Blender somewhere?
  • tex_cookiedough
    did some tweaks on the colours.. still not done (mostly just experimenting now) but need crits =p

uploady.jpg
    texturevariations.jpg
    ps: JoshuaC - im loving the shotgun / rifle thing it looks great :D
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Final texture.

pug2_wip_06.png

Some ingame shots.

pl_upward0000.jpg
    pl_upward0001.jpg
  • tex_cookiedough
    quick update before bed.. thoughts? suggestions?

compar.jpg

shorter chain is a bit more noticable in game (not quite as hidden by collar etc) but the longer also has pretty good visability in game.. which do you guys prefer.. or is there another alternative i could explore?
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    @JoshuaC: Really nice, I like it a lot :)
    @cookiedough: I prefer the longer chain, shorter one looks kinda weird

Pretty much done modeling on this thing:
    ingame_view_01.jpg
    Note that I made a few minor changes after these screens, I just didnt feel like getting new ones :shifty:
  • a gentlman
    tex_cookie: I'd like to see how it looks at around scout dog-tag level although out of the two I prefer the longer one. Also, these necklaces often have red/brown leather wrappings at the end, it might look better with that.

Pierate & JoshuaC: Looks great guys :P
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    The contest is over so I finally can fix some stuff that I din't have the time to finish during competition.
    dh32xi.jpg
    Now just the textures in proper way :)
  • n88tr
    Joshua, the pump on the gun looks like an afterthought, not like an actual working part of the gun. It sort of looks like it was bolted in place.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Pierate wrote: »
    @JoshuaC: Really nice, I like it a lot :)
    @cookiedough: I prefer the longer chain, shorter one looks kinda weird

Pretty much done modeling on this thing:
    ingame_view_01.jpg
    Note that I made a few minor changes after these screens, I just didnt feel like getting new ones :shifty:

before you call it done you might want to try and smooth out the polys on the back some. looks good though.
  • Sharkisss
    quick update before bed.. thoughts? suggestions?

compar.jpg

shorter chain is a bit more noticable in game (not quite as hidden by collar etc) but the longer also has pretty good visability in game.. which do you guys prefer.. or is there another alternative i could explore?

Definetly the longer one, and make one of the tooth broken and fixed with duck-tape. Ow.. and maybe a human tooth :D
  • tex_cookiedough
    thanks for feedback guys :)

@a gentlman - the actual necklace is around the same length as the scouts.. i've made it about as long as it can go before clipping starts to become something that happens a lot :P

@sharkisss - heres a chipped tooth, not too sure about it..
    also below.. a comparison between tooth belt and necklace.. the belt clearly looks more dangerous..
    comparisons.jpg

heres what i came up with, personally i think the sharper ones look better but the texture is still what im stuck on :|
    newmodel.jpg
    also a quick vid of the final positioning / jigglyness

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLjIDFEeFJQ[/ame]

mostly just the texture causing unease now.. thoughts?
  • Radamein
    Man I wish I could make stuff like that in blender :c

You guys are really good!
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I made for a wallpaper I needed.

pug_wallpaper.png

Everything made, and rendered, in blender. :)
  • Sharkisss
    newmodel.jpg

Try it this way. Dont make all the teeth the same color. Edit them like this:

1. Leave the middle tooth the way it is.
    2. Make two of them more yellow (like this)

DSC_0020%20(WinCE).JPG
    croc%20tooth%20on%20skin%20(Small).JPG

3. Maybe try to make one more brown

croc_c6_1_2007.jpg

4. And maybe some black teeth

Croc%20tooth.jpg

5. Or some bloody teeth

6. And last but not least make the handle of the tooth made from leather

capturehf.jpg
  • a gentlman
    Definitely a plus on no.6

And some color variation (yellow/brown) on the teeth is nice too, but I'm not too sure on the black, just doesn't seem like a natural tooth. Some blood on the tip is cool too.

Try to make the textures on each tooth use more than one color too, on the left pic each tooth is colored differently but it's just one color, try adding some patterns as seen on the brown tooth under no.3 :)
  • DoomTay
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomTay polycounter lvl 12
    I happen to be working on this baby

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVE9CYEbqns[/ame]

I have a thread on this here
  • n88tr
    Sentry gun thing not going so well

might need a project reset...

TF2StyleSentries_4.gif

Right now working on some really fast models to get my mind off of this thing for now
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    n88tr wrote: »

TF2StyleSentries_4.gif

Right now working on some really fast models to get my mind off of this thing for now

EEK indeed! Looks awesome, but there's way too much detail and (you must already know this) the tri limit for sentries is 10k
  • Phones
    I'm modeling a bomb cart much like the one found in TF2 (in that style of course). I don't feel that it warrants a topic of it's own, but I do have a question for you good people.

How would I go about creating a band (something that ties it down) around the cart like is found on the sandman or paintrain?

800px-Sandman.png
  • Sharkisss
    Phones wrote: »
    I'm modeling a bomb cart much like the one found in TF2 (in that style of course). I don't feel that it warrants a topic of it's own, but I do have a question for you good people.

How would I go about creating a band (something that ties it down) around the cart like is found on the sandman or paintrain?

800px-Sandman.png

First add some photos of the cart, then ask what it needs
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update of my Stuntman's Helmet.
    stuntmanshelmet_WIP2.jpg

Going to mess around with stripe pattern variations tomorrow and adding stars or some other symbol along the stripes. If anyone has some sort of Scottish symbol they think would work well please tell me about it. I couldn't find anything reasonable in my searches.
  • tex_cookiedough
    n88tr wrote: »

TF2StyleSentries_4.gif

looks nice dude, it looks to me like theres a lot of edge loops you could lose (ie on the barrels, smaller cylinders, rocket launcher etc) to get that tricount down, optimization shouldent be too diffucult a task but yeh entirely up to you what you do.

good luck (y)
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Helmet's looking good so far zip. Definitely something I'd like to use.
  • Sharkisss
    Another update of my Stuntman's Helmet.
    stuntmanshelmet_WIP2.jpg

Going to mess around with stripe pattern variations tomorrow and adding stars or some other symbol along the stripes. If anyone has some sort of Scottish symbol they think would work well please tell me about it. I couldn't find anything reasonable in my searches.

For the Scottish symbol I suggest the icon on the demomans bottle

BottleScreen.png

And I also think that you should make one of the helmet sides scratched, burned, shot or smashed (make an illusion that it was used alot)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are two designs I whipped up real quick. Tell me which one you like better. Right now I'm leaning towards the X a bit since it's linked to Scotland.

stuntmanshelmet_design.jpg

Going to do some stripe variations and maybe a few variations of the X design now.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Oh, definitely the star one. Maybe it's the apparently random rotation of the X's, makes them look like scotch tape strips.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm almost done with this. All that's left to do are some minor texture tweaks, jigglebones and a Red texture.

stuntmanshelmet_wip3.jpg