Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Concept/mockup for a hat I'm going to start tomorrow.

-Demo Hat-

I tried it out a variation using a Scottish flag and a variation using solid stripes but this one looks the most interesting. I might end up submitting a few textures to Valve though.

Looks really cool. I think maybe add some explosion damage to it, like cracks in an area to make it seem like the Demoman has been using it for awhile.
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 13
    Quite possibly my most challenging, and time consuming UV unwraps.

pug_wip_07.png

Got AO baked.
  • ShadowBrain
    Engineer guitar skin:
    guitarrender-2.png
    The black around the strings is transparent in-game.
    Oh and could anyone help me with getting the gibs to be team colors?
    Right now all they are is red, even if i'm on the blu team, while the blu guitar texture works...
  • mradamw
    @Seven - hey dude long time :) thanks very much - have actually been simplifying it a bit (silhouette and chunkyness are the same, just taking out overly complicated geo as have been looking at other TF2 weapons and they seem to be pretty "basic" - ie not using 10 tris when 1 will do. Cool idea about increasing the heavys speed (*ahem* valve thats for you)

@JoshuaC - thanks man, im using 3DS Max 2008. im a bit anal when it comes to have my geo as clean and neat as possible (to the detriment of my modelling time allowance sometimes) :P thanks for the kind words. the shotgun is looking awesome. Question: Wil the gun be manually cocked after each shot? or is the loading mechanism there to load the first cartridge in the clip?
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    mradamw wrote: »
    Question: Wil the gun be manually cocked after each shot? or is the loading mechanism there to load the first cartridge in the clip?

My current idea is that it's a semi automatic shotgun.
  • Sweep
    Nice shotgun mradmw, how much time did you spend doing it?

I started using modo, but now i'm willing to change to maya 2011 , does anyone use it?
  • ShadowBrain
    could anyone help me with getting the gibs to be team colors?
    Right now all they are is red, even if i'm on the blu team, while the blu guitar texture works...

I'd still really like some help with this guys, if you could.
    It's probably a simple fix, but I can't wrap my head around it, since the gibs have the right skinfamilies set...
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    pug_wip_09.png

Got the base colors and paint done. I'll add some smaller details next.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Scrapped the Medigun and started making this instead...

svrrx3.jpg

Daisy hat for the Pyro!, if anyone knows why you can see through the model on the inside part near the pryos head please let me know :)
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    because you have no geometry there??
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    because you have no geometry there??

would it be because i cut a sphere in half to make the shape for the head? and left exposed normals underneath? because i think thats what is making the holes, because there isn't any holes when it's not rendered
  • JoshuaC
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC wrote: »
    pug_wip_10.png

Looks great!
  • AAA_BATTERY
    would it be because i cut a sphere in half to make the shape for the head? and left exposed normals underneath? because i think thats what is making the holes, because there isn't any holes when it's not rendered

yes, select those faces and reverse the normals.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great!

thanks for your reply, I fixed it by adding a shell modifier at the lowest setting, (tried the flip normals but it flipped the outside of the hat too)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's because there's only a single layer of polygons there. In the viewport you've probably got it set to double sided, which is why you could see it from both directions. The render doesn't have the double sided setting so it's invisible on the inside.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    fastest hat Ive ever made, started and finished in one day. still trying to think of a name before i submit it, suggestions welcome.
    416 tris, 256x128 texture, team colored.

runners sweatband for scout:

finalrenders.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    fastest hat Ive ever made, started and finished in one day. still trying to think of a name before i submit it, suggestions welcome.
    416 tris, 256x128 texture, team colored.

runners sweatband for scout:

finalrenders.jpg

Don't ask me why but, the moment I saw that I thought "The Sweat N' Dry"
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly what jack said, your viewport probably has double sided polys on. so all you needed to do is cap on the underside brim part. By adding a shell modifier you probably just created a crap load of polys inside that actual hat.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    Exactly what jack said, your viewport probably has double sided polys on. so all you needed to do is cap on the underside brim part. By adding a shell modifier you probably just created a crap load of polys inside that actual hat.

Yeah i did lol, I went back a few saves and fixed it
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    2qlqwzk.jpg the gist of what i am going for atm, i just need to move the petals around alot so they look limp and lifeless etc
  • PatrickL
  • Supacasey
    Hey fellas, Supacasey from Facepunch here. I hate to be "that guy" that just makes a request off the bat, but I came up with an idea for the Frontier Justice that I'd really like to see happen but don't have the skill to create myself.

Basically, it's somewhat of an external clip mounted on that cylinder to the side, and holds the FJ's three shots. Every time the engie pumps the action it would revolve and load the next shell into the breach.

Something like this:

concept5.png

Edit:

Nevermind, a fellow Facepuncher Sparkwire has embarked on this endeavor.

trinclicating_triplets_of_terrifying_torture.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Supacasey wrote: »
    Hey fellas, Supacasey from Facepunch here. I hate to be "that guy" that just makes a request off the bat, but I came up with an idea for the Frontier Justice that I'd really like to see happen but don't have the skill to create myself.

Basically, it's somewhat of an external clip mounted on that cylinder to the side, and holds the FJ's three shots. Every time the engie pumps the action it would revolve and load the next shell into the breach.

Something like this:

concept5.png

Edit:

Nevermind, a fellow Facepuncher Sparkwire has embarked on this endeavor.

trinclicating_triplets_of_terrifying_torture.jpg

I'm not sure if you can add stuff to official weapons, although that'd be great, I think you should look into this before you finish your model
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd still really like some help with this guys, if you could.
    It's probably a simple fix, but I can't wrap my head around it, since the gibs have the right skinfamilies set...

I think this might be something the actual TF2 engine handles, and I'm sure once you submit your item, valve handles all that stuff
  • mradamw
    hey ho - this is more fun than i was expecting. started to toy around with a sniper rfile idea too :)

@sweep - not sure to be honest man, the shotgun is about 4 hrs (maybe) and rifle about 5?

TF2_wips_mradamw.jpg
  • Lil' Cthulhu
    Hey Guys, im new to this forum, and just.... wow. This stuff is amazing.

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this, but i have an idea for a sniper primary.

There is a type of weapon called bolas. They are some weighted balls on a string. I have never modelled, and doubt i can even make anything at all :(

But, if anyone likes this idea, it should look something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boleadoras.gif

If ive posted this in the wrong area, Sorry!
  • Supacasey
    Dear sweet Jesus, is that a revolving lever-action shotgun?? Do want!

If you made a smaller sleeker version as a Frontier Justice replacement I'd be 20 different kinds of grateful!
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good, mradamw!

So it turns out my little automatic shotgun won't fit any of the current animations in TF2. None of the player models hold it correctly..

So I started to work on yet another revision of what was once a sniper rifle.

pug2_wip_03.png

It's now a pump shotgun. When the character pulls back on the pump, you'll be able to see a shotgun shell ready to be loaded into the chamber.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    flare_wip_01.jpg
    Flaregun replacement based on an old lowpoly model

@mradamw: Really liking your stuff :)
  • REKLAS
    AAA_BATTERY awesome sweat band! I would so wear that in game. Best Scout "hat" yet.
  • Phaser Rave
    Here's my first attempt at a TF2 item. I had such a hard time compiling them to mdl... I could see them in the model viewer with the null purple and black checkered texture, and it was completely invisible ingame... So I sent them in in .obj format.
    dramamasks.jpg

I probably should have gotten feedback before submitting these two to the contribute page, but I just felt compelled to send them. Do you all think I should have waited?
    These are intended as a spy misc item. He is an actor, after all.
    I thought it'd be funny for the spy to wear a mask on top of his ski mask when he's not busy wearing a disguise mask on top of his ski mask.
  • anotherUserName
    I decided to try and teach myself basic modeling after seeing the polycount pack annoucement, and polycount seems like a good place to start. I've been fiddling with blender for about a month now and this is the first item Ive made that I think looks decent. I can get it ingame as a static model and its viewable in the modelviewer, and I plan to at least attempt to teach myself to animate it later on, but for now I thought id post a basic render and get the opinion of some people who know what they're doing when it comes to modeling. I'll eventually post a screenshot from the modelviewer, but getting the textures lightmap/specular map/whatever its called combined with vtf settings so that the model doesn't just look like plastic is proving troublesome. Its a tad over 8000 tris when converted to tris, and at about 5000 faces with quads. Im hoping this is fairly obvious, but its a replacement for the spy's revolver, with the main unique feature being that it fires from the bottom of the cylinder rather than the top. (the spy doesn't use the sight anyway and it doesn't have to be physically doable for it to work in a game, right...) As far as stats for the weapon go, thats up to valve if i ever get around to submitting it, although the weapon model is supposed to be a fixed-cylinder revolver rather than swing-out so the reload time would likely have to go up, so something like more damage but slower reload and no crits might work. (I know this post is full of way-too-long sentences, but no one cares much, right?)
    render1.png?t=1279037984
  • AAA_BATTERY
    REKLAS wrote: »
    AAA_BATTERY awesome sweat band! I would so wear that in game. Best Scout "hat" yet.

thanks a lot. :)
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    flare_wip_03.jpg
    Getting close to done with the modeling on this thing, gonna put it ingame soon probably :)
  • n88tr
    Should I post my TF2-style sentries here when they're done?
  • elementbam38
    spystachesss.jpg

Here is a spy misc im working on. Its still in progress but this is just a rough draft.
  • Tehrasha
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    My first attempt at 3D anything. (outside of a map editor) Please be kind. :)

pyro-hatv05.jpg

Still very much WIP with much work to go.
    Currently just under 1200 tris.
  • n88tr
    the mask is nice I think but the details are a little smaller. Bolder sizes would be more noticeable.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    Should I post my TF2-style sentries here when they're done?

Post them while they are in progress, better to sort out design issues now rather than when you've finished!
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    spystachesss.jpg

Here is a spy misc im working on. Its still in progress but this is just a rough draft.

LOVE IT
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the texture.

pug2_wip_05.png
    pug2_wip_05a.png
  • Simski
    Tehrasha wrote: »
    My first attempt at 3D anything. (outside of a map editor) Please be kind. :)

pyro-hatv05.jpg

Still very much WIP with much work to go.
    Currently just under 1200 tris.
    It's very nice for a first attempt.

Currently it has too many unnecessary details however.
    You don't need that many spikes, and I don't think overly pointy things fit the TF2 theme all too well.

If you eventually want Valve to accept this as a community contribution, I would also recommend making it cover his face less.
    It is likely that hats that covers or clips with the misc items is not going to be accepted by Valve.
    Please use this as a reference if you plan to fix this later on.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Whiskered_gentleman
    JoshuaC wrote: »
    Still working on the texture.

pug2_wip_05.png
    pug2_wip_05a.png

As a positive change from all the hatred you've been receiving from FP lately, I'd like to tell you that this new model is awesome :3
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    As a positive change from all the hatred you've been receiving from FP lately, I'd like to tell you that this new model is awesome :3

Heh, thanks.

I won't be using this texture in the end, but I was thinking of sampling colors from it to paint with.

pug2_color_test.png

It seems to give it a bit better look overall.
  • n88tr
    Why does that bolt-action look so greyed out? Is that a TF2 shader or something?
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    i liked the darker wood color more.
  • anotherUserName
    Ive tried adding ambient occlusion and gotten it to look a bit less like glass/cheap plastic in the modelviewer, but the texture still looks like nearly solid colors. Any criticism would be welcome, I'm new to modeling/texturing/anything related to it and I'm really awful at judging anything I have anything to do with.
    mdl.png
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    That was a render in blender. This is what it would look like ingame.

pug2_color_test2.png
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    @JoshuaC: the darker wood definately looked better IMO.

anyway, got this thing compiled and ive run into a problem:
    model_viewer_problem_01.jpg
    as you can see, the shell is in his hand which it shouldnt :/ i have no idea as to how to solve this so im hoping someone could possibly have some ideas as to what the problem could be, other then that i think its looking pretty good :)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    WIP shot of my Stuntman's Helmet.

stuntmanshelmet_WIP1.jpg

It's at 1032 Triangles right now. I need to finalize some parts of it, fix some smoothing errors and add the straps to the side.