Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - nrek

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely like 1 better. It seems more fast paced.
  • Psyke
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    here are two different fires as requested.

http://sparkwire.thanez.net/tf2/polycount/dart%20gun/

the top one is brilliant!
    just how many polycount packs have you helped animate now, sparkwire?
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Oh i do love that first one!! You can see the dart and everything :3
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Psyke wrote: »
    the top one is brilliant!
    just how many polycount packs have you helped animate now, sparkwire?

three as of now.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    A few frames in I see this jazz
    ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_thehellisthis.jpg

That is the the geometry from the tail fins of the dart poking through.
  • REKLAS
    This is looking awesome. Animations look hot as well Sparkwire. Yeah just address the dart poking through and you're golden. A new scope view doesn't seem necessary, but it would be sweet for it to use a different scope view to make it even more unique. I'd be icing on the cake.

Hope Valve does something cool with the darts/tranquilizing aspect gameplay wise. Your rifle makes me think of this Sniper domination quote http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/7/7a/Sniper_DominationHeavy06.wav :)
  • Bobi
    These are really nice. Maybe add some jiggle bones to the feathers on the dart gun? They're pretty lightweight so I don't think they'd stay stationary while you're running.
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! My main gripe is that the glass part on the scope needs some work. It needs to seem shinier to give it the illusion that it's transparent. Right now it's looking pretty matte and opaque.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Maybe it should have a puff of air more like the airblast than a muzzle flash

But again, it's gorgeous and I want it.
  • fastturtle
    ^ That's a good idea. Also, if you look at the sniper rifle's scope, you'll notice it does a sort of faux-reflection - I think that same thing needs to be done with you scope.

Otherwise, this is by far some of my favorite stuff that's coming out of this contest and I hope it wins.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Also, am I seeing it correctly that a cartridge is flying out of it?
  • Khthon
    Yeah, might wanna remove the cartridge
  • Rogue Trooper
    I do believe that's a cork.
  • Zai
    Also, am I seeing it correctly that a cartridge is flying out of it?
    Yep. Golden one.

Still my favorite pack I've seen, like fastturtle said.
  • Baby Stomper
    Also, I had no idea your gun was a part-time revolver!
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Omg Sparkwire, you are my hero. The animations are awesome, the one with the dart is definitely the way to go :) !

Thanks for all the great crits and suggestions guys it has been super helpful. I know for valves sniper they have a separate material/texture setup for the scope glass, so I am sure I can do something similar. I really like the idea of an air puff particle and a custom scope mask, I will have to look into that stuff as well. And the shell ejection is controlled by a line in the .qc file so I think I can go ahead and just remove that.

I noticed the red dot issue has been brought up multiple times so I thought I was ask for some opinions on it. Since the dot seems to be just for the purpose of other players and not the shooter I don't think it is really necessary to include a laser on the gun. I personally think it would just make the gun feel too modern. But if it is a big concern for a lot of people then im sure I could squeeze it in there. I should be able to get back to work on this stuff when I get back into town tomorrow.

Once again, big thanks to Sparkwire for the animations and getting the model into the game.
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    Omg Sparkwire, you are my hero. The animations are awesome, the one with the dart is definitely the way to go :) !

Thanks for all the great crits and suggestions guys it has been super helpful. I know for valves sniper they have a separate material/texture setup for the scope glass, so I am sure I can do something similar. I really like the idea of an air puff particle and a custom scope mask, I will have to look into that stuff as well. And the shell ejection is controlled by a line in the .qc file so I think I can go ahead and just remove that.

I noticed the red dot issue has been brought up multiple times so I thought I was ask for some opinions on it. Since the dot seems to be just for the purpose of other players and not the shooter I don't think it is really necessary to include a laser on the gun. I personally think it would just make the gun feel too modern. But if it is a big concern for a lot of people then im sure I could squeeze it in there. I should be able to get back to work on this stuff when I get back into town tomorrow.

Once again, big thanks to Sparkwire for the animations and getting the model into the game.
    I had to take the material i used for ingame from your showoff preview. :(
  • Snowloss
    I'd say leave the laser off of the gun, there's no need to model it on in my opinion.
  • Hotdogbunker
    Yeah I agree, there doesn't have to be a laser sight, but you may want to ask a member of valve to get their take on it. I have full confidence this will get in the game, it's so freaking awesome.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    I had to take the material i used for ingame from your showoff preview. :(

Not a problem dude. Sounds like I still have some work to do on the darts and such so it will be changed anyway. Keep up the great work on the animations, I look forward to seeing the next project you work on.
    Yeah I agree, there doesn't have to be a laser sight, but you may want to ask a member of valve to get their take on it. I have full confidence this will get in the game, it's so freaking awesome.
    Snowloss wrote: »
    I'd say leave the laser off of the gun, there's no need to model it on in my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
  • youngoli
    The laser shouldn't alter the gun too much. If you like at the default rifle it's just a small attached piece wired to the rest of the gun. You could probably get away with removing the wire altogether and saying it's battery powered.
  • Edspear
    Khthon wrote: »
    Yeah, might wanna remove the cartridge
    Uhh... its a tranquilizer gun with tranquilizer darts... they don't come with cartridges i think...
  • Khthon
    @Edspear - a shell/catridge is ejecting in the animation. I was saying it shouldn't be happening.
  • Michailov
    How will it work with the 'Viewmodel field of view'?
    If at a higher number will the gasTank and the darts blush up in ones face render 25% of the screen 'gunified'?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    As I've said before in a bunch of threads, I think you could get away with sending in a version WITH the thing valve might want and a version without it.
  • Galago
    My poor nrek has fallen to page 8! Any progress? It's still my favorite Sniper pack.
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    This is truly amazing. Although you definitely need a melee weapon. Maybe a machete with croc teeth on it? Or as I heard someone mention, a whip. Anyways, keep up the great work.
  • jgoodroad
    If only you could remove that shell, since the darts wouldn't really have any waste (except perhaps... the cork.)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    the darts wouldn't really have any waste (except perhaps... the cork.)
    That's....actually a pretty cool idea.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Man sorry for the lack of updates everyone, its been a busy week : /. I will get to all the stuff I mentioned in my last post, such as removing the shells that are ejected and stuff. I think I will have a decent chunk of time tomorrow to work on some of that. Until then here is a little somethin somethin. It is basically just the Crocodile Dundee knife with some minor proportion changes. I like it, but I almost feel its too.....normal. I will continue to mess with it later. Although that whip idea is kinda interesting....:poly124:.

Thanks for the continued support everyone!

crocknife.jpg
  • Khthon
    Knife looks good but I also agree it's too normal. So many knives in this comp.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, I think the silhouette of the knife is distinct enough to be used
  • Fragus
    a little question here: How did you model this part of the knife without triangular errors? Can you post a wire frame view please? :)
    BSZmY.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Fragus, you can control that pretty easily with smoothing groups, in maya you would select the edges you've circled (just the ring not every edgde in between) and change the normal shading to Hard, in max i think you select all those faces and assign them a different shading group

nrek, yes that is indeed a knife, and a big one too :poly122:
  • ColonelBD
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    careful about having barbs on the knife there Nrek, Valve might flip it so you hit with them instead of the blade :P

Looking excellent so far :)
  • Khthon
    I like the knife but I like the Knifey Spoony idea someone else had a little more. (A Simpsons reference).
  • komfyrion
    Sweet knife dude. Love your theme!:thumbup:
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the knife and I think it has a unique enough silhouette to be considered but I think using parts from a crocodile would be much more interesting. I like to think of it as the Sniper killed a crock and is harvesting parts of his body to make this stuff. So he'd take the hide for the Razorback replacement, the top of his skull for the hat and then for a melee he could use his spine or his claws or his lower jaw. I'd be much more interested in something like that than a large knife with a slightly different look.
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Love the bowie knife, works great with your kit even though it's a bit normal. I do agree that spine or claws would be more interesting to see, but I personally think a large knife fits your character better. He seems like he's more of a hunter and would need a blade to gut and skin the crock. It just makes sense.
  • denvarte
    I love your theme, I would suggest adding something animal to the bowie knife as zipfinator said would be your best bet, as every item you have has done so
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    What if the knife looked like a crocodile?
    aligatorsaw.png
    Or what if it was just an aligator jaw bone?

I like that knife design. It makes it much more unique although it doesn't have the reference to Crocodile Dundee. I didn't even get that reference until he pointed it out though.

The croc jaw bone has already been suggested like 5 times in this thread but he doesn't seem to like it.
  • jgoodroad
    I like my knifes like I like my heavys...
    ABNORMALLY LARGE!

perhaps larger then what you have now... as large as you can make one without it just being silly... SO large it doesn't even look like a knife... but some kind of super sword-knife hybrid...

perhaps I am just crazy...
  • Ikimono
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    perhaps I am just crazy...

full_retard.jpg
  • nofacej
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The croc jaw bone has already been suggested like 5 times in this thread but he doesn't seem to like it.

Probably because it would be tacky.
  • Buck
    My favorite sniper pack!
  • KainSword
    This is my favorite Sniper pack, so I hope you win.

I also think the blade you designed seems rather dull, especially in comparison to all your other fantastic items. It occurred to me that the blade could probably be worked into the Crocodile themed items you have.

Perhaps you can design a modified [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Aztec obsidian sword (macuahuitl), but with an Australian twist.

aztecclub001.jpg

It essentially looks like a Cricket Bat, but with obsidian shards placed between both paddles. It acts like a sword that shreds.

Here's where the modification comes in. You could try modeling a Cricket Bat, but you can design it in several ways to incorporate crocodile themes.

-You could choose to have narrowing paddle edges, parallel paddle edges, expanding paddle edges.

-You could incorporate the crocodile by giving the sword a crocodile shape, or crocodile tail texture by having the hide stretch fully over the paddle, exposing no woodgrain. You could stretch crocodile head skin over the wooden paddle or stretch crocodile tail skin over the wooden paddle. Or you could incorporate the crocodile by actually making it part of the paddle's woodwork.

-You can show the crocodile head shape in the sword, if chosen, to be in the crocodile's top-down view with the blade teeth surrounding the entire paddle, or the crocodile in side view with the blade teeth only lined around the front side of the paddle.

- You could bevel and smooth out the paddle edges to round it out or keep it edgy.

- For the paddle's blade edge, you can use an actual smooth blade, scrap metal junk pieces, actual crocodile teeth, or something like stone arrowheads, etc.

- You could also decorate with a bandage wrapped handle or a bandage wrapped paddle about the middle. Or even crocodile skin handle.

A potential problem could be Tri count, since it could use lots of triangles to model lots of teeth.

crocsword.png

Hopefully even if this doesn't provide an immediate design, that you can get some ideas in the direction I'm leading you to.

Good luck with the contest.
  • skullman86
    Croc teeth instead of obsidian would be pretty sweet
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    So not much of an update this time, just something to show that I am still alive. I have been working on polishing the textures and materials on my main 3 items for the past few days and I am now ready to move forward with the melee weapon. I appreciate everyone's suggestions for different melee weapons but Spetch pretty much summed up exactly why I have not been doing any crazy jawbone designs. With the sniper being such a pro hunter I feel that he would invest a lot of pride in his knife and would want it to be the most bad a$$ killing blade he could find. Its the same reason why I have him using a pretty normal looking rifle, as opposed to something like a crocodile skewered onto a blowgun or something. Sure he may wear a croc skin suit as camouflage, but when it comes to his weapons he doesn't mess around.

Fragus - Sorry for the super late reply dude, but yea like Scudz said you just select the faces and change the smoothing groups that they belong to. Wireframe included below.

DKK - Nice knife design, it definitely has a crocodile vibe to it. If I had more time I might go back and make something similar but right now I just want to make sure I have enough time to finish what I have started.

Kain Sword - Thanks for taking the time to post such an elaborate suggestion. That does seem like it would be a very awesome weapon.

Just to show that I have not completely ignored everyone's suggestions I did go ahead and make a quick mock up of a croc tooth studded aboriginal club thing. I like the design of the weapon but I still just don't think it goes well with the kit. But let me know what you think. It is supposed to be a spoon shaped chunk of wood with holes cut out in the front that the teeth are then pushed through and held in place by the rock at the back. Based of one of these..
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SSrRQXGMD8I/SGucyDqRvCI/AAAAAAAACbE/wb12HhEMzDE/s400/AboriginalWeapns.jpg

Thanks for dropping by.

clubandknife.jpg

clubknife.jpg

fpsclub.jpg