Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two friends that are in copper in 1v1 and in gold in 2v2.

Part of the reason, I suspect, is that you land good teammates.

also

Screenshot.Jpg

ZEALOT RUSH

Fighting fire with fire.

Yeah it's against the PC else I wouldn't be able to pull this off.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I had a REALLY close game in 1v1 where I was going for a big economy really quick as zerg.

He zealot rushed me and I lost a lot of drones, but my expansion was fine, so I knew I was way behind, I massed speedlings, waiting till he attacked again with a mass army, went for his base and wiped everything out, but he did the same to me,

I was able to expand again before his army took out my expansion, so I went straight for his new expansion, but his army got there before i could finish it, so I had 6 lings and like 10 drone, flanked him, built and canceled a few expos, and finally barely killed his nexus.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    vcool wrote: »
    They got better in that week. :P

I believe you may have hit on the correct answer. Unfortunately, this means that Starcraft II will likely go the same route that Warcraft III did. And that means that the on-line multiplayer will swiftly descend into newb-rape territory. Ah well, at least I still have the single-player campaign to look forward to.

Given the increased competition, I think I'll take a break this week from Starcraft II. I've been working on a programming project in my free time, and would like to devote more time to it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The ladder system is set up to try to limit as much newb stomping as possible (you can't create a new account and just loose all your first games) but often times newbs can use one basic cheesy strat over and over to kill other newbs (6 pool, cannon rush, void ray rush, early reaper, etc).
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, it wasn't those strategies that were doing me in. I was playing a lot of those games 2v2, and some of them with a partner that I'm familiar with. We were only ranked bronze, and we kept getting continually shut down by players who seemed to have a ridiculous amount of skill. Neither of us has learned to micro effectively yet, and our opponents were running circles around us. These weren't quicky rush matches. Some of the armies that were eventually brought to bear were ridiculous. I couldn't believe that so many units could be produced using only two bases per player.

I should probably limit my Starcraft II involvement to the level editor for now.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    played against ai as terran almost got f*cking murdered but i lifted of the base and some other structures and made a new base. then... i won
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    bump:
    patch 13 opens up 3v3 and 4v4 - awesome
    also, you can now publish your maps
    downside, they did a player wipe :P
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Dling patch now, but it says that overseers can now spawn infested terrans.

I'm so going to try an infested terran sneak on minerals with 5 overseers. :D
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm dissapointed with the protoss nerf. I don't mind the void ray range nerf, but the ability to destroy forcefields is just lame now.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool patch but... I've been getting EXTREME amounts of lag in ALL my games, including from myself for some reason which is weird because I never lag. Anyone else having that problem?

Forcefield was the most imbalanced ability in the game and Void Rays were the most imbalanced unit so... lol
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The beta is almost over and they still haven't fixed my crash on launch error. I'm 90% sure it's something to do with the game and not my computer too as I've tried at least 30 different fixes on my end. Hopefully before the second wave they'll have fixed a lot of these crashing issues.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap do people suck in 4v4, the teams are soooo one sided.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't think 4v4 will ever work, the game is just too fast paced and one side just gets a huge advantage, at least that's how it seems so far. Just out macro and don't worry about counters.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    When one of your allies probe rushes, you know your screwed for teammates.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    3v3 and 4v4 can work fine, just don't do random team, play with friends, against teams of friends, much more interesting.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    4v4 is either fun as hell, or a blowout. Should be better when everyone is ranked.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Ranked what? Past few weeks I've been getting such getto strategies that I dont even know how to win them...

*How the hell do you win against 8 SCVs bashing in to your base out of the blue anyways....*

4vs4 is going to be more nerdraged. :(
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Too bad you can't set up a town hall/milita rush like wc3. My bro did that, pisses them off lol. Well I guess the closes is the center/turret upgrade for terran.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    6 pooling with zerg is the fastest rush, I believe, besides scv rushing, or going all in with scv's and marines early on.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was probe rushed once, well, there was a scouting probe that then tried to build a pylon for a warp gate rush. Is aw it and followed it with a probe of my own, while building a gate of my own. When the other guy realised his warp gate plan failed he just rushed his probes. He was bad at microing though, I chronoboosted a zealot that did the job fairly quickly and the guy left.

I don't really get why he left, if he realised his warp gate rush failed he could do a million other things. Instead he quit.

Anyone knows what's going on with the game? I try to join a game and this pops up after a minute of searching S2MASTER_SERVER_ERROR_INVALID_DATA

:(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    Anyone knows what's going on with the game? I try to join a game and this pops up after a minute of searching S2MASTER_SERVER_ERROR_INVALID_DATA

:(

This
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I think blizzard servers are on a melt down...
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    whats everyones new identifiers:
    sampson
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vcool
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    You can't add people by their identifiers right now, i think.
    Unless i'm blind.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    Yes your right rebb. its your actual battle net email address now... hrm..

how can we post without getting bot spammed/random person spammed?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I didn't use my main email,

I don't get the facebook search thing, does it just check every email associated with their facebook account?
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    Too bad you can't set up a town hall/milita rush like wc3. My bro did that, pisses them off lol. Well I guess the closes is the center/turret upgrade for terran.

That never worked against any decent players.... lol
    rebb wrote: »
    You can't add people by their identifiers right now, i think.
    Unless i'm blind.

They took identifiers out, now all thats left is the character name and the battle.net account name which is the e-mail address.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My character name is still Arcane.

Tried out the new patch on Friday. I was actually quite pleased by a lot of the new additions. 3v3 and 4v4 are quite welcome. Bigger games can be more entertaining for players who aren't quite as experienced. Once again turtling up proves to be a losing strategy.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've only won two 4v4 games, once because I was basically pulled out of shit by my allies and the other because one player on the other team though it was a good idea to fly to the top left high yield.

I still managed to end up in Silver, like rank 4 and I have no idea why.

The game gets incredibly laggy as time progresses and we make more and more units. My game also flashed for some reason.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    ling rush in 3v3 and 4v4 is ridiculous. got dropped a few times since this new update, but its so fun with some of your friends. team play is more fun i think because if one gets hit hard the other can counter and salvage the game. i love starcraft
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4v4 is a lot of fun!! Even though most games you get dropped, I still enjoyed the ones I was able to finish haha
  • PolyHertz
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anybody having trouble logging in? i am:(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »

lol, nice one!!

and yey!! the thread is alive again!! :D
    marlfox8 wrote: »
    anybody having trouble logging in? i am:(

You are not suppose to be logged in on Tuesday anyways..Blizzard shuts their servers down from 3am-11am server time..or 11:15am rather (it takes 15-20 mins to bring the servers back up) That happens every tuesday for maintenance and any patch implimentation in their games.

make it 2pm aproxx ontario. =\

I am going to draw until it comes on.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    lol, nice one!!

and yey!! the thread is alive again!! :D

You are not suppose to be logged in on Tuesday anyways..Blizzard shuts their servers down from 3am-2pm server time..or 2:15pm rather (it takes 15-20 mins to bring the servers back up) That happens every tuesday for maintenance and any patch implimentation in their games.

I am going to draw until it comes on.

This^ I was just logged on. Also the servers got all screwy due to the custom map crap.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, the server down time was from 3am-11am Server Time on Tuesday. That means on my time its 5am-2pm approx.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    FINALLY I CAN PLAY!! After the month and a half long period of crashing on launch they finally released a patch that fixed it. I played one game as Zerg having NO idea what I was doing (Literally I've played like one RTS and it was a shitty simple one) and I did pretty awful but I think I could get the hang of things after playing a few more games with some friends who know what they are doing.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try practicing vs AI. by Creating a Game (that is unranked)

The only problem is, their practice AI is soo lame that they dont extend even if you give them entire 20 minutes....So you got enough time to figure out the strategy. :D

I am still waiting for them to impliment their real AI which allows you to configure the difficulty of your opponents so you can really practice your strategy.

I guess for starters, the lame one would do.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The servers are down every Tuesday? Really, I didn't know that, huh
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    wow what some people are doing with the editor is amazing.

cant wait till it comes out.

plus SC was always about Turret Def, Bunker Wars and those crazy Dragonball Z level up Used Map Settings games for me, much more so then the actual multilayer.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The editor is already out Autocon.....Really you gotta try it. Its just a 3d version of SC1 editor. Or you compare it with WC3 editor.

Practically all of their editors have the same interface >.<

Plus part of it is, now we have soo many modified maps in Sc2.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Crap I've been promoted to Platinum 4v4 -.-
    was getting confortable being in gold (from silver initially). Soo much good and bad experiences in 4v4
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone having a blank screen at their starcraft 2 beta Multiplay tab?

I dont know whats going on, As soon as I skipped the tutorial after the latest patch was installed, I cant see any news on the front page, I cant see any game tabs in the join/create games avaiable all I see there is ... and on the main Multiplayer tab I dont see anything and the FIND GAME button is disabled.

I tried going to the Blizzard website but thats not working either.
    If anyone faced or have been facing this problem please let me know. :(
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I've had a "greyed out" multiplayer screen before, but that was a few patches ago... I played some L4D2 and fired ups SCII and it was back.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats strange, I've never heard of or seen a grayed out Multiplayer button. I would suggest sending an e-mail to Beta Technical Support but unfortunately since there's only 2 days left in beta, I don't think theres much you can do either than re-installing the game.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The screen is not gray, It started up just like SC2 normally starts up. But at the main page, it wasnt showing any news, on the multiplayer tab, it wasnt showing any content and the find game button was disabled.

I'll try it again and see if its working.

That happened after Patch 15

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I think Blizzard SC2 beta server crashed late night yesterday or was running really really slow. If it was video card issue, The site would've worked also, but the site was showing the server is down..

But its working now..Thanks! :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Does sc2 crash for anyone else when a match ends? I'll press the button to go to the score screen and theirs a 50/50 chance the game will lock up and I'll have to ctrl+alt+del to to get out, didn't happen in patch 13 and earlier but has sense.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I crashed several times on match load up, I restarted my comp and things seemed fine, although I've noticed other players dropped at the start of the match too.