columnpresentation.jpg

Bonus :

heavychefpack.jpg

Replies

• EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Ok so after 2 days of brainstorming (and harassing people at work cuz of my lack of idea)...I've decided....to stick to my cook theme ~

So Basically it will be a chef hat , a cooking-pot of bortsch with its ladle , a set of oven glove and if it's possible (depending of the skinning problem) an apron as misc item.
    Reference images or concept (if I do some...) will come later.

Now I have to organize my ideas about names, gameplay (yup i know it's optional but it's always fun to think about it)...oh and yes maybe create some 3D stuff ~
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OVEN GLOVES! GENIUS!
  • cookiecrisps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Agree with Fragus GENIUS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THOSE Lol. I have a good idea, you should be able to let a friendly pyro light them on fire and once the heavy attacks it should burn on hit for 10 seconds. Kinda like the Huntsman Flaming arrow.
  • cookiecrisps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude those Mits are Genius i agree with Fragus. I have a good idea for them too. Friendly Pyro's should be able to light the mits on fire not hurting the Heavy and allowing fire punchs for 2 hits on enemies. Kinda like the Huntsmans flaming arrow. Sorry i think i just double posted bc i double clicked o.o Just thought my message got removed so sorry if i double posted
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update : just a 30 seconds texture test to see how it would look without normal map (as I dunno if we have to do all in full diffuse or if we can use spec/normal maps).
    This is just a test, I know that the tile is wrong, that the texture size is wrong and that the texture style doesn't fit the TF2 style at all~

wip1.jpg
  • Lozanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks really nice...and I thought it had normal map...
    Just keep in mind that you have to limit your textures to a certain size...it looks quite high-res !
    Cheers.
  • Guitbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man! Kickass idea! I would sincerely love to see the heavy with oven mitts, and cookiecrisps idea to light them on fire, as an option.

Hope to see more soon
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, some test I've done :

wip2k.jpg

Basicaly i wanted to avoid normal map but i did a test anyway.
    Left is with normal map and a quite flat diffuse, the center is a simple diffuse and right one is with a more "paint stroke"...
    The square pattern turned to be hard to balance with the style of TF2 which is very few details...

And I dunno if I'm gonna do the bortsch cooking pot as it came to my mind that it would look a lil weird in underwater situation u.u;;;;;...need to find a better idea I guess~
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I like the right one the best because of the more TF2-ish texturing style. The other two look good but I think the one on the right would fit in TF2 the best.
  • Priest of Syrinx
    Oh god, oh man! I'd do anything for that glove to appear in tf2!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Combine left with the right's texture. The normal map is good but it needs the diffuse's backup.

Looking great so far
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here the result in the model viewer (it took me more time to manage to put in there than modeling and texturing u.u; )

wip3p.jpg

Now I still need to find out :

- how to manage to have 2 skins on the same .mdl to do the BLU version
    - trying to see it ingame without broke my TF2 install
    - search how to add physic on items to put some life to the glove attachment
    - and ultimatly try to do a real skeleton and custom anim cuz i don't think that the basic fist animation would fit so well...

(already have a headach x.X)
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    The more painterly texture you showed above definitely has the most character out of the three. Is the latest image the painterly texture with normals?
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd put them on the heavy model very soon, because it looks like they are much to long and don't have enough volume to fit his very big hands.
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, and btw. the boxing gloves don't have animations on them. just the heavy model itself has them. so you maybe could even get away without doing custom animations.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    wasn't convinced with your first texture try, but the end results is brillant, i have to admit :)
    great work !
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    EzMeow wrote: ยป

Now I still need to find out :

- how to manage to have 2 skins on the same .mdl to do the BLU version

- search how to add physic on items to put some life to the glove attachment

Multiple Skins: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$texturegroup

JiggleBones for dangling glove attatchments: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Jigglebone
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Zipfinator : Thanks a lot for the link. As I followed your tutorial as well to manage to export my model, soon I'll have to put you as contributor name to my entry :p

@ woodn : I've model my glove on the heavy's hand so i just need some minor adjustment to make it fit good.
    I know that the gloves don't have animation, but the fact is that with a close fist or a boxing glove it's fine to give punches, but with oven gloves you always have your fist open, so it would be weird.

@ christermime : it's a different normal map with a different diffuse, more or less a mix of the "too much" painted one with the "too much"simple one.

started the cook hat (in zbrush so it's faster to balance the complexity of the folds and the simplicity of the TF2 style) :

wip4.jpg
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good shape, just de-topo it now.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update :

wip6c.jpg

seems I'm gonna have plenty of time to try to do some animation and polish O.o;
    Btw I think I'm gonna call it the Krush Chef
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking great. Maybe you could have one of the balled up oven mitts holding a cooking utensil like a ladel? Or a fork and knife! Haha.

I wish there was something you could do for the minigun or shotgun with this theme...hmmm.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: ยป
    That's looking great. Maybe you could have one of the balled up oven mitts holding a cooking utensil like a ladel? Or a fork and knife! Haha.

I wish there was something you could do for the minigun or shotgun with this theme...hmmm.

Giant eggbeater?
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First concept I was thinking "A Soldier or Pyro pack would be better kitchen based." Still kinda do, but oven gloves as a melee seems just right for the Heavy. Nice job so far!
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *game-play implications man impersonating kayne west baring in now*

I'm really happy for how extremely well this model came out, but the sniper has the esiest job "picking out people with white hats" of all time! Of all time!

Seriously I love it, but i'm scared if i used it, that the same scenario of an engineer wearing the T10G would happen to the heavy lol
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is the best hat ever.
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That hat and oven mitt should go with the Engineer. The mitt would replace his glove and his dispenser could be a barbeque the produces food for health/supplies.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    REKLAS wrote: ยป
    That hat and oven mitt should go with the Engineer. The mitt would replace his glove and his dispenser could be a barbeque the produces food for health/supplies.
    The hat and mitts could go with a lot of the classes. The Pyro could get the hat because, well, he "cooks" people. And I can imagine the Soldier having oven mitts and the stainless steel pot on and bashing someone's head in with a frying pan.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think a lots of items could have fit a lot of classes but as to me the heavy is the most "fat/food" related one, so it seems fair to me.

Btw I've started a sandvich replacement item :
    the Chocolate. Chip. Cookie. Party aka (C.C.C.P). Basicaly it's a cookie O.o
    As for the glove it's gonna be call the Kalashniglov.

No WIP image of the cookie for now as i guess everyone knows how a cylinder look like :p
  • Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My secondary would go well with your hat (:
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kalashniglov!CCCP! I like where this is going.
  • raptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Agree with Fragus GENIUS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THOSE Lol. I have a good idea, you should be able to let a friendly pyro light them on fire and once the heavy attacks it should burn on hit for 10 seconds. Kinda like the Huntsman Flaming arrow.

MUST DO THAT PLEASE!
  • raptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg im scited only viewing ur models....great job, ideas:

glove hit animation could be like a slap in all the face, maybe doble slap if both buttons pushed at same time? maybe too much. the idea of the pyro giving u fire would be epic.

for the hat... i would make it tallet so that it looks a bit more like this:
    arguinano-1805.jpg

not sooooo tall but a bit larger and with the top end u did before. think about it.
    anyway just feedback, urs look cool too but consider that could make it "funnier".

ad ofcourse pleas make the cooki GIGANT, no, HUGE.

if u have enough time after that u could model a machine gun too cos i havent seen any. maybe you could make it look oily....u know we all have a minigun left in the kitchen to kill the rats..... i would love to see a more epic minigun than the actuals ingame....and it looks u've got good ideas so...just think about it.

keep it up! [yea i know my english sucks sry]
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the gameplay stuff, as it was said before that it's an art contest, I'll see about that when I'll be done with my model (got some idea in mind but it's i'll spend time gathering my ideas in my mind later).

WIP of the C.C.C.P :

wip7q.jpg

Basically I'm doing test with different level of modeling and different details of texture to see what works and what doesn't. This is about the size of the sandvich so i guess it's big enough.
    Well about the minigun replacement, I really would like to find something to do (so i can actually have some real modeling stuff to do >.<) but I'm having hard time to find anything nice.
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top one is ugly, sorry. Bottom one is a bit boring, middle one is great!
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well all the shapes are supposed to be with the chips, but on the screen only the center one has them, as I was reusing always the same chips to re-skin and export to see it in the model viewer.
    Anyway result of the test....I'm going to try another way, none of the 3 was visually satisfactory ~
  • ChrisspyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything looks good so far...
    But...I can't believe...that...
    SOMEONE ELSE WAS WORKING ON A HEAVY CHEF!!
    I was doing a chef heavy and now i've just discovered this. :(
    I even was making the gloves and the hat.
    Ah well, time to think of something else.

BTW! I was doing a gingerbread man instead of the sanvich. If you want you could try that. You could probably do it better than me anyways

Anyways great work with what you've done and well done for beating me to it!

P.S. Your oven-gloves woop my ones ass :)
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update before run to work~

wip8n.jpg

It need some adjustment, but it's already better than the previous attemps O.o
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks yummy, maybe tone down the crevices a notch, kinda make it look like playdough.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update :

wip9p.jpg

I've adjusted the texture and .vmt
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    nom nom nom.
    I want to see it in his hand to get a sense of scale. :)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see it in game when you're ready.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's the scale~

wip10u.jpg

Well it's in the model viewer, I still haven't try to put my item in game, I think it's one of the next step, going along with find a primary weapon >.< (I know that's it's not necessary as I have already 3 items, but I really would like to do a full set).
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good but it doesn't look crumbly enough. the texture needs a lot of work to get the effect right.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My mouth is watering just looking at it! Good job.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'dats a biggun!

also i'd make the chips darker
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Neat

It'll need a big bite out of it to so that it looks like he's eating it.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i liked that top one you did. just add chocolate chips to it instead.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    call your hat the "gorbachef"
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You nailed that cookie, great job on the texture, it looks nice and warm/soft.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I called it the Krush Chef, for Khrushchev, as Gorbachef is more 80's I think it didn't fit the 60's spirit of TF2 :p.

Btw, about the bite chunk, I've noticed after decompiling the sandvich that it has 2 reference model, one intact, and one with one bite, but after checking in game, using the sandvich, it seems that the model with one bite down isn't use, anyone would know about it?