Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - EzMeow

Replies

• EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    !!!
    Wasn't the hardest things to do, but at least now I can drop my cookie and share it with people !

wip22.jpg

About the napkin : it would have the same skinning problem as the other cloth items.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man that looks delicious.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! You should add a few crumbs on the plate.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like that you made a new plate :O
    I like Galago's suggestion of adding some crumbs on the plate though.

Also... this is an unnecessary detail but, is it possible to change the color of the particles that fly from Heavy's mouth when he eats?
    I think the particles he currently has are still in the Sandwiches colors, meaning while eating this cookie he would still have green and yellow particles flying from his mouth. It would be nice if you could change the color of them to look like cookie crumbles :O
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When does the polypack release?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow wrote: »
    About the napkin : it would have the same skinning problem as the other cloth items.
    What is that issue then :O?
    Perhaps some other modeler here knew how to fix it :)
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mesh penetration issues VS originality of the items. To me those item (napkin/towel) don't have enough visual appeal VS the mesh penetration problem and skinning distortion that they have, exception with the oven gloves. That's why in the worst case I'll submit the gloves as they are right now : without skinning.
    I'll run some more test to see if I can get something satisfying (anyone knows if we can setup some an IK linked to a joint/bone in the weapon model? o.O).
    By the way it's more an animation/setup/skinning than a modeling problem~
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find this concept to be full of potential. +1 for "I can haz cookie?" if this gets into game.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and here are some crumbs ~

wip23j.jpg

Thanks to remind me about the effect particle, I had it in mind when I've created the cookie then it has vanished of my mind; I'll check how to do that~
  • eXistance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats one sexy cookie.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, good thing you'll look into the particles too :)

I do hope Heavy gets new voice-lines if this gets into the game though :O
    I totally want to have that cookie in game and stand around eating it with my Toque on, I'd be the true Heavy mama's boy :3
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe have the plate be blue with googly eyes glued on?

cookie1.jpg

edit- sorry, I just missed the plate post where you already completed it
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Maybe have the plate be blue with googly eyes glued on?

cookie1.jpg

edit- sorry, I just missed the plate post where you already completed it
    Nah man, it's already a huge reference to the cookie monster in itself.

Googly eyes are unnecessary, Heavy already does the cookie monster's classical "OM NOM NOM"... If this cookie would be implemented, that reference would be complete :P
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test on the misc item idea from GoSsS (just a 5min quick test):

wip24.jpg
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally don't like it... looks too French/Italian.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    I personally don't like it... looks too French/Italian.
    Which is totally wrong with a cooking theme :)

Love your pack Meow!
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Which is totally wrong with a cooking theme :)

Love your pack Meow!
    It's wrong with a Russian Chef theme.
    Having a Chef theme is already somewhat farfetched, if we're going to turn the Heavy from Russian to Italian/French then this pack lose my support.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you have already 3 items made and considering that time is running out pretty fast, you should probably looking into implementing those ingame to see how it'll turn up.
    And prepare to submit your work, placing files in order etc. The deadline is in 7 days so be carefull. i'd really want that cookie ingame :)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he managed to get the hat, gun and cookie working already :O

I personally only wish that he'd get the mittens to work too, it is a shame that such a nicely modeled and textured item that fits the pack so well isn't working :(
    If he did that, he'd have a full pack.
    A new primary, a new secondary, and a new melee, plus a new hat.

I don't like the mustache thing at all, and don't think he should waste time on it.
    It doesn't fit the theme as well as a dish towel or a napkin would either way.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Looking great so far, have you been able to import a model of the cookie with a bite taken out of it? Sandvich has one, seems to only be visible to other players though :P
    EDIT: Saw you made the model :)
  • TankTaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This pack is awesome. Even though I've seen most of the items done before in one form or another, everything is just so perfectly executed and thematically cohesive and correct. You just have to like it!

The minigun is really innovative, and looks fantastic in-game! I think I'd never play any other class again if I had this entire pack as official items! (Stupid pure servers would ruin it otherwise)

Best of luck to you!
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is my favorite idea in this competition.
    Great job getting everything done!
  • Jamesbond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOOOOOOOVE that minigun but I also love Bucks/Ruskies! UGG!!! Why do you all you guys have to make such good looking weps?? It makes my head hurt trying to figure out which one I like better!! D=

Valve should just get all the best entries from everyone even if there are 2 and just put the weps in the game! =D (aka Bucks, Ruskeis, and Ez packs)
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need that cookie in game but not as a skin
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the gloves

wip25m.jpg

After a lot of attempt, I've simply skin the gloves to the elbow, which remove some animation subtleties on the hands but at least I don't have any deformation issue (I guess it's fine to remove subtle hand movements under such mittens...)
    Another counterpart is that now I have to deal with V model view because the elbow on this model have a different joint orientation than on the heavy character skeleton >.<.....
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotta say that I'm not a big fan of the stache'.
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No,I don't. Like mustache.
    Yes,I like gloves.

Find a way to get gloves ingame.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    should I try a Stalin style mustache? >.>;;;; (luckily for the people I'm not doing a medic pack u.u)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah man, it might be a bit too far-fetched with your Chef theme.

If you're going to do a misc, do something that's easy to relate to your theme.
    Otherwise I think you should just continue trying to get the other things to work properly :O
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No,I don't. Like mustache.
    Yes,I like gloves.

Find a way to get gloves ingame.

EDIT:wtf just happened?
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't think a mustache with the Heavy would work very well.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gloves are so cute! I like them very, very much! :D
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the gloves going to ball up into fists or is he 'punching' people with the flat of his hands?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Are the gloves going to ball up into fists or is he 'punching' people with the flat of his hands?
    Yeah... I do hope you'll do something about this EzMeow.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well basically I wanted to do some custom animation for the v_model but for now there is now way I can get a working version of the gloves in both world and view setup.

1st case : I get good results in the world but totally crappy in the view
    2nd case : the inverse.

Attempt :

1. With an Ik from elbow to the hand, to get the aim to the elbow but not its orientation :
    fail. I don't even know if it's work in tf2 (as said on the valve developer website) and then I'm not even sure about the way to setup it.

2. Create an attachment on the v_model of the custom fist of the heavy (the one used for the K.G.B) and orient it in the good direction : didn't work, seems that the bones attachment have priorities over the created one .

3. re-weight the bones influences with a $weightlist depending of the model : I didn't found any control line where I could state that.

4.create a v_model from scratch : but then it wouldn't have the same in game implementation as the K.G.B and it then not possible to test it fully in game.

5.redo the custom v_model of the heavy arms : it share the same model with the sandvich arms and then all the animation should be revamped.

As I'm not really willing to redo all the animation for now my favorite option is to keep the world model working and then let valve handle the v model (and the animation aswell)

I guess I'll try some other thing later but it's time to sleep (4.00 AM here >.>)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow wrote:
    As I'm not really willing to redo all the animation for now my favorite option is to keep the world model working and then let valve handle the v model (and the animation aswell)
    I'm guessing the latest option is the best one, if all else fails :(

Oh well... good luck tomorrow.
  • Godzhowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that a Biscwit?
  • TankTaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gloves don't look so dangerous when he doesn't curl them up into fists, but I guess they could work if their in-game stats are something like 50-70% faster swing speed but 50% less damage, and every hit is accompanied by a funny soft slap-sounding effect.

The chef goes mad at someone who suddenly enters his kitchen, and, in a hurry, he proceeds to slap them silly while still wearing his oven mitts, haha :D
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TankTaur wrote: »
    The gloves don't look so dangerous when he doesn't curl them up into fists, but I guess they could work if their in-game stats are something like 50-70% faster swing speed but 50% less damage, and every hit is accompanied by a funny soft slap-sounding effect.

The chef goes mad at someone who suddenly enters his kitchen, and, in a hurry, he proceeds to slap them silly while still wearing his oven mitts, haha :D
    I personally still hopes he manages to curl them up into fists though...
    It would look silly to see the Heavy running around punching people with Oven mitts, but it would look downright rediculous seeing him running around slapping people while wearing oven mitts D:
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I've somehow manage to get something...(after a lot of test). So now I'm trying to work on the animation (gonna be slapping anim).
    But then another small problem appeared : sometimes the fist model don't hide under the glove...but not all the time :

wip26.jpg

The left screen is from the load out but the problem sometimes appears in game as well.
    Anyone knows what I could possibly do wrong?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slapping D:

Can't you change the model itself to curl...
    If not as an animation, in the base model itself?
    I mean, the Heavy don't move his fingers much anyway when using his fists right?
    (Aside from the taunt)

I just think slapping would look terribly stupid >:
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should make it replace the gloves of boxing for testing instead, the gloves removes the hands on compiling.

KARATE CHOP, COOKING STYLE
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could model the gloves into fists.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is that I am replacing the K.G.B model right now, that''s why I don't get from where does this error come from.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you consult some other modelers who've modeled replacements for the fists :O?
    Surely there must be someone who could help you :(
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Gloves :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOUoCjbRvc[/ame]

(Yup I'm not animator :p)
    The crit looks pretty weird to me but I can't stretch the left arm more than that cuz valve did strip the geometry of the left upper arm >.<.
    I'll maybe work some more on it if.....my source sdk tools restart to work : I was compiling my animations and then suddenly everything stopped working. GUIstudioMDL saying me that the path for the orange box was wrong, then the studiomdl.exe not existing anymore.
    Then I saw that source sdk was auto updating , but even at the end of the update it wasn't working. So I did a reinstall of the SDK and then the modelviewer did suicide, following the path of compiler. So GoSsS did compile the mdl of my animations but I can't do anything anymore.Going to force delete all the source SDK and redownload it again hoping it works.......thank you murphy's law~
  • JigglesMcGee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, I love the crit animation.
  • Boylee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problems you're having are caused by this:
    Updates to Source SDK have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

SDK Launcher
    'Half-Life 2', 'Episode 1', 'Episode 2', and 'Counter-Strike: Source' now default to the 'Source Engine 2009' engine configuration.
    Users developing content for these games should manually add configurations for these games in the context of the 'Source Engine 2009' engine or can simply use the 'Reset Game Configurations' utility.

Source: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_SDK_Release_Notes

How to fix: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Reset_the_Source_SDK_Game_Configuration
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great animations, and as I said, the cutest heavy I've seen!
    QUESTION: Do you know good tutorials on animating and putting animation in game? Was it hard decompiling, compiling rigging and so on?
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I didn't find a specific tutorial about this. The animation decompilation seemed to give messy smd and anyway it was giving me an error in maya when I tried to import a smd animation so I mostly checked the timing of the animation in the model viewer. about the compilation, I 've just copy/past the qc that mdl decompiler was giving me with the fist decompilation. As for the rig there was nothing specific to TF2 or the source engine, just classic rigging.