Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - EzMeow

Replies

• Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it varies. sometimes it will be displayed in model. sometimes not.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krush Chef is hard to say. :<
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the explanation, I wanted to do a version of the cookie with one bite down, but i was wondering how to make it works. Nice to hear that I will have nothing more to do :p.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Galago wrote: »
    You nailed that cookie, great job on the texture, it looks nice and warm/soft.

in my experience, your own sandvich will never take a bite, but viewing another player with a sandvich will take a bite out of his own.

I was eating a sandvich with two other heavies and wondering why mine didn't seem to be bitten, while their's were.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Make the chocolate darker and get the specular to look a little more light brown/almost blueish, like this:
    Dark-Chocolate-Easter-Egg-IMG450070US.jpg
    Loving everything in this thread man :D
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chomped version ! :

wip11.jpg

Hard time trying to keep details minimum to stay in the TF2 style u.u;
  • chickenman
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update for the misc item. not doing an apron after all but a dish towel :

wip12.jpg

(This could even fit with the K.G.B o.O)
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some skinning test on the dish towel, I don't know if I'm going to keep it. In worst case I'll send it without skinning stuff and valve will have to handle it :p (anyway I have the same issue on the gloves and even the K.G.B have the same skinning problem but less visible...well..).

So as I was tired of these skinning interpenetrating mesh issue...I've start that :

wip13g.jpg

I don't want to make it a minigun build with kitchen element, but just that its design is recalling the kitchen universe...
    For now it's a lil failure as it's too much kitchen and not enought weapon to me xD but I'm working on it.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In all honesty, I personally don't see how a Chef theme fit for Heavy.

I like the Cookie though, perhaps you could make a "Moma's boy" theme or something.
    It would go very well with Heavy's toque and childlike personality.
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont care if it fits or not, that mini gun is the best thing I have ever seen for a minigun replacement.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Gahahaha brilliant!

Also, if you're going for a mixer theme, check out old KitchenAid mixers from that time period. They're utterly perfect for the TF2 style, and would look great with the minigun.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    In all honesty, I personally don't see how a Chef theme fit for Heavy.

I like the Cookie though, perhaps you could make a "Moma's boy" theme or something.
    It would go very well with Heavy's toque and childlike personality.

russia has some of the most varied cuisine in the world
    not too mention there's a shed load of renowed russian chefs

it fits no less than engie having a cowboy set and demoman having a kilt set.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    russia has some of the most varied cuisine in the world
    not too mention there's a shed load of renowed russian chefs

it fits no less than engie having a cowboy set and demoman having a kilt set.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of this.

Were they as renowned in the 50-60's though?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I wasn't aware of this.

Were they as renowned in the 50-60's though?

did robotic rocket firing sentries exsist then?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did robotic rocket firing sentries exsist then?
    Let me rephrase myself, do we have any stereotypes of Russian chefs in the 50-60 like we have movie stereotypes of advanced retro-futuristic technology?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me rephrase myself, do we have any stereotypes of Russian chefs in the 50-60

the main one would be lucien olivier who created many dishes but the most popular was the russian salad. he died before he could even disclose the recipe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_salad
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow, you HAVE to make that minigun. Hilarious.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the main one would be lucien olivier who created many dishes but the most popular was the russian salad. he died before he could even disclose the recipe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_salad
    Not a stereotype.

I'm not saying this because I dislike the items, I'm saying this because the more "random" it is, the less likely it is probably going to be chosen over the themes that better reference a recognizable stereotype.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok for stereotypes, lets have a little break down of where they're from and the archtypes pertaining to that part of the world that are already associated with that character:

Scout: From Boston- loves baseball, picking fights, arrogant, and won't shut up
    Medic: From Germany- Sadistic, prim and proper, intelligent
    Heavy: From Russia- Big and slow, likes to punch things that are smaller than him
    Demo: From Scotland- Heavy drinker, hates Lochness Monster
    Soldier: American Midwest- Drill instructor voice, paranoid gun nut (and batshit insane)
    Engineer: From Texas- Heavy southern accent and general speech patterns
    Spy: From Spain or France- Sophisticated and suave, lady killer, professional
    Sniper: From Australia- Accent and vocabulary, outdoors-men, prone to violent outbursts
    Pyro: From ???- The real enigma of the 9... likes fire and gardening
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like this would be more appropriate than a dish towel sb10064243n-001.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=B3B7071D257FC03920C7D808D01E869D1C8B733DE2CC97949A011738F60443C1D4B40B3E875A785D
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That minigun was awesome. the only problem is that the oven mitts, the hat, the cloth, and the cookie also are awesome! Perhaps you could publish 2 different sets for all these masterpieces? or have you given up on some of them?
    anyway, :thumbup:
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss wrote: »
    Scout: From Boston - loves baseball, picking fights, arrogant, won't shut up, fast.

Medic: From Germany - stereotypical gestapo, good posture, frustrated, sadistic, mad doctor.

Heavy: From Russia - stereotypical dimwitted big-muscled Russian henchman with a love for big guns.

Soldier: American Midwest - Drill instructor, batshit insane, violent, obsessed with War.

Engineer: From Texas - Hick accent, very intellectual, mad inventor, friendly.

Spy: France - Upperclass snob, stereotypical Secret Agent, spy gadgets.

Sniper: From Australia - Accent and vocabulary, rugged, hunter, assassin, chilly.

Pyro: From ??? - Anonymous, possible owner of a purse, feminine running animation but doesn't have a high pitched voice, talks loudly, unintelligible, stereotypical pyromaniac.

Fixed :3
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed :3

Erm what has the medic got to do with the Gestapo other than the fact he's German?

Also "Accent and vocabulary" for Sniper? What does that even mean. Everyone has an accent and a vocabulary.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, the whole "This doesn't fit the character" debate is dim. It seems everyone has their own idea of what fits who and whatnot. Going with a chef theme for the Heavy works because he seems to love food (sandvich) it doesn't need to be any more than that. The engineer plays a guitar in the meet the engy trailer, so someone could make a southern musician theme for him and it would fit.

Keep this EzMeow, its awesome
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Heavy has two food unlocks. How is a food theme NOT fitting for him?

He's big and fat and loves his sandvich and dalokahs bar.
  • TheMetaKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow wrote: »
    After some skinning test on the dish towel, I don't know if I'm going to keep it. In worst case I'll send it without skinning stuff and valve will have to handle it :p (anyway I have the same issue on the gloves and even the K.G.B have the same skinning problem but less visible...well..).

So as I was tired of these skinning interpenetrating mesh issue...I've start that :

wip13g.jpg

I don't want to make it a minigun build with kitchen element, but just that its design is recalling the kitchen universe...
    For now it's a lil failure as it's too much kitchen and not enought weapon to me xD but I'm working on it.
    You need to put flames on this thing. Alton Brown demands it!
    chopper_mixer_4.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lot's of reactions O.o;
    well about the theme stuff i guess this summarize what I'm thinking about it :
    It seems everyone has their own idea of what fits who and whatnot. Going with a chef theme for the Heavy works because he seems to love food (sandvich) it doesn't need to be any more than that.

otherwise I wouldn't see the relation with a viking soldier or the pirate demo (if this one is valid cuz he's one eyed, then mine is valid cuz the heavy is fat :p )

anyway WIP :

wip14.jpg

I'm still playing around with the shape, nothing definitive ~
    btw... dunno about the flame xD.
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is great as it is.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so funny. I think the Heavy should keep his eatin' utensils taped to the gun. A fork, spoon and knife. :cool:
  • Karkasmolenklok
    While I don't know that I dig the flame job so much (again, team fortress cannot fathom this concept you call "purple" anyway) that mixer is, at least, a kitchenaid mixer, so the shape is right.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searching,shaping, testing~ :

wip15x.jpg
  • henroast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should do less ranged damage, with much increased falloff, but has the ability to do lots of damage at very close range, basically a melee effect. Nice model!
  • StickFigs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StickFigs polycounter lvl 6
    That minigun is hilarious, if it was a comedy-based contest everyone else would have to quit after seeing that.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    StickFigs wrote: »
    That minigun is hilarious, if it was a comedy-based contest everyone else would have to quit after seeing that.
    It would be a fight to the death against the pyro with the waffle iron axe

whoever wins is the next IRON CHEF
  • Mr.Tomato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should call this minigun something like a "Blender".
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it will MALAXE you to DEATH
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henroast wrote: »
    It should do less ranged damage, with much increased falloff, but has the ability to do lots of damage at very close range, basically a melee effect. Nice model!
    That's exactly what the minigun already does :|
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Mr.Tomato wrote: »
    You should call this minigun something like a "Blender".
    lol
  • pedropaulo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suggestion for the ammo keeper

panela-de-pressao.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I think that this will be pretty much the shape of it :

wip16h.jpg

(yup I know I have some reversed normals)

Now it needs some placement adjustment, add some bevel to catch some light on element and...optimization ( yeah I know this part >.>) as there is still a lot of placeholder element inside it. Then UV and texturing ~ .

I dunno what I'm going to do about the v_model as it's clear that it's 2 differents model with 2 differents textures.
  • 0ur hero niko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving that minigun
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god just take a quick screenshot with the gun and chef hat. I just love this pack way too much haha
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    Wow this is great, keep up the good work.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    First things first:

ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_ezmeowmodel1.jpg

Notice how in the first model the barrels met up with the beaters evenly instead of going in the corners. I liked that a lot better, this almost looks accidental.

However, I DO like what you did with the connecting thing in between them, both in the shape and in making it one solid thing. It looks good and differentiates it from the original in a good way.

Secondly, here's some suggestions I have as far as shape:

ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_ezmeowmodel2.jpg
    1. Firstly, I'd suggest adding this as an element from old crank-operated hand mixers with the wooden bulbous handle.
    2. Secondly, I'd do some old fashioned streamlining. Think the art deco trains and appliances and cars. The way you have it currently looks like a minigun with a mixer on the end of its barrels, rather than a mixer that is also a minigun. This shape is the shape of the back of the old kitchenaid mixers. (On a side note, in the area above the barrel mag I notice I didn't fill it in with color, but I would suggest having it fill that space as well)
    3. I included the part that I covered up because I like that, I'm not saying you should get rid of it but I would include this element of a mixer's structure to tie it in more strongly and maybe have this plus-sign support structure for your barrels extending out from this.
    What do you think?
  • itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this definitely works. Lets be realistic if its not a little ridiculous whats the point of doing it. I think it will win. Just make sure the texture makes it feel like a kitchen appliance that kills people
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itsmadman wrote: »
    Well this definitely works. Lets be realistic if its not a little ridiculous whats the point of doing it. I think it will win. Just make sure the texture makes it feel like a kitchen appliance that kills people

Keep it away from Martha Stewart whatever you do!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Why not? It's a good thing.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress ~ :
    modeling done, UV done, texture mapping is coming next.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I've tweak a bit the shape of the minigun.
    Here is a view with only the baked AO in the model viewer :

wip17.jpg

The texture is a bit blurry due to the 512x512 map but the original minigun is blurry as well too, so I guess it should be fine.
    By the way, anyone know how the animation of the barrel is handled? seems to me that it's done with code as I don't see any rotation animation in the model viewer, but I'm not really sure of anything.