Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
I'm in, bishes.

For a while I've been thinking about doing some custom weapons for the Medic, so this is as good a chance as any.

Idea-wise, I only have a replacement for the Bonesaw so far, but I'm going to throw some concepts up here pretty quick to hash out ideas.

Finished!

RQs2y.png

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few melee ideas. I kind of like the idea of a circular saw, but a staple gun also seems kind of appealing. Choices, choices!

mLVzR.png
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest staying away form nail guns, they already made one for the scout that they didnt end up using. Otherwise, your Sils look great so far. Love the ban saw gun idea.
  • tophermartini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the handle + battery pack combo from #1 and blade from #7… something about the deeper channels on the blade in #7 give more of a pain-inflicting feel.
  • Unbeaten11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd totally want the #7 with batteries.
  • Dermont
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Designs are looking a little modern and indistrial.

You get some pretty interesting stuff when you put "surgical saw" into google images. The very first option is a Civil War era saw and bore with hand crank, kinda like an old manual egg beater.
    civil-war-surgical-saw.JPEG
    civil-war-surgical-saw-3.JPEG
    Some other interesting stuff on the same page.
  • Dermont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its fine since its the 1950s so awkward size power tools were being mass produced by now.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade:
    I saw those hand crank saws and thought they were definitely pretty neat, but it seems that the contest is more to just replace existing models. Since the hand crank would require new animations, I decided to go with something more modern. I'm definitely going to try and keep with a retro 50s/60s pneumatic tool vibe, though.

Since you guys liked #1 and #7, I thought I'd throw together some more variations on the two combined.

JZWqe.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the sleekness of #2 myself, but honestly as cool as the blade is I don't think it fits tf2 at all.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the blade, Scudz. It looks dangerous, but it also looks like the world's most boring pepperoni pizza. It needs more fewer weird holes and stuff.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Whats the overall theme for your items?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Perhaps a modified Osteotome could suit your needs?

800px-Osteotome3.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam:
    I'm considering a few possibilities about what to call it. I'm leaning towards "battle medic" or something having to do with healing and combat. I have the idea in mind, just not a great title for it yet.

Muzz:
    I considered doing one of those (and I still like the idea), but the main reason I didn't was because the crank would require additional animation. Maybe if it were a motorized version?

I'm not 100% committed to this idea, but I think it's kind of neat and warrants a little more exploration, so I played around with the thumbnails above and refined them a little. I think it needs more flair and more of that hand-made or heavily modified feel that a lot of TF2 weapons have, but at least it's a start.

R9Ib6.jpg
  • DigiplayW8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what were you using for your images swizzle?
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, It has a very commercial look to it. Try exaggerating a part here or there to get a different feel.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean what software? It's all just Photoshop.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed up the guard, the trigger and the handle a bit. I also added a real sawblade. I think I'm going to work on designing another of the items I have planned while thinking about changes I could make to this so it looks more interesting.

OTvaS.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! My main complaint is that it may look a little bit more like a power tool and less like a medical tool. Maybe that's what you're going for though?

Looking forward to seeing your other items!

Also how do you get such smooth geometric shapes using Photoshop? Like what tool do you use? I'm not quite sure if I should fiddle around with the Pen tool or just do some careful drawing on my tablet. Knowing what you use would help me out quite a bit!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it still definitely looks like a power tool right now. I guess it's because I've been looking at pictures of pneumatic power tools. The part above the handle really doesn't fit the medical vibe and the teeth on the blade need to be a lot smaller.

I've been using a combination of the pen tool and a brush without shape dynamics turned on. To get straight lines with the brush tool, you can click somewhere and then Shift+click somewhere else and instantly get a straight line between them.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    While the power drill saw is incredibly awesome, it does really kind of feel out of place in TF2 land. But if you're really focused on it, you should be able to make it work. I would say concentrate on making it very bulky and less sleek and lightweight like most modern drills are today.

Also make it very colorful in regards to 60s electronic appliances. I think if you can make the drill look like a early version of a power drill that's more industrial and can blend its aesthetics with the TF2 world, I'm sure it'll pass the bill.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC:
    I don't think the idea of the power saw is out of place, but I certainly think the design is. I'm going to give it a while to cool off in my head before I do anymore work on it. I think I'll be able to get it to fit the TF2 aesthetic, but it's just going to take a fair amount of tweaking.

Since the hand saw idea is going nowhere fast at the moment, I decided to put some work into a needlegun replacement. I like the look of old water cooled machine guns, so I certainly drew some inspiration from there. I'm going to keep the syringes from the other medic weapons in the design, though; I don't just want him shooting bullets.

JUfut.jpg
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These all look great! I really like number 4. It reminds me of a magnum. Maybe make the cylinder bigger and have it shoot slower but with bigger and less needles. Also anything with a drum works cause it really breaks the sil.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man i really love these designs
    and i hope some of your medic stuff gets chosen,
    from 1 doc' player to another :D
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    If I were you - and this goes both for the saw and the staple gun - I'd have a look at German weapons for, for example, the handles. Pistols like the Mauser C96 or Luger P08 have pretty distinctive shapes, and so you could use those shapes to fit the Medic's character.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love those guns Swizz, I wonder if you couldn't retrofit some current medical injector guns with 50's design asthetics though? otherwise I like #3
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enderstaley:
    Yup, bigger and fewer needles is the current plan. And I definitely like drum magazines, so I certainly wouldn't mind having one full of syringes.

Psyke:
    Thanks!

Zwebbie:
    Sound advice, so thank you. This is the kind of input I'm looking for.

ScudzAlmighty:
    I had a look at some medical injectors. While the newer ones are just cheapo plastic deals, older ones look freaking sweet. Thanks for pointing them out for me.

I tried incorporating some design elements of older German guns and medical injectors in these. Thoughts?
    S2Jz1.jpg
  • HighwayHalfling
    I gotta say, Im a fan of number 3 and 6 since it kind of keeps the barrel like canister that holds the syringes like the other needle guns and the reload animations can be similar making things easier on valve, very nice! Keep up the work :D
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Halfling. Number 3 is my favorite maybe you could incorporate some of 2 or 5 into it as well
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    id say six with 5's bottom canister as an uber indicator. you dont need one but it would be cool
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Go with 3 or 6
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #3 or #6, the others make me think Air-brush gun, maybe 6 with 2's drum?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since #3 and #6 seem popular, here are a few variations. I'm not a huge fan of most of these, but I think they're worthwhile exercises.

D7TPJ.jpg
  • HighwayHalfling
    I have to say Swizzle you are pumping these things out like crazy >.< I have to go with 1 or 4 though for the same reasons as last time, they fit the style of the previous needle guns well keep up the good work :D
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice designs, i think the curves make it look more medical, my fav of your last post is #2 i'd add it a "capsule" thingie that really make it look more medical such as the serum bottle shape really reminds me of it.
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta be #4. Also congrats on getting the pain train in there.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say a mix of #1 and #4 which means a length somewhere inbetween. I still like the canister similar to the other Needle Guns. It makes it recognizable right away. Also it'll mean Valve doesn't have to do much for the animations which they'll be happy about.

Also one criticism on your canister guns. I'm not quite sure how the needles are going to get through/into the barrel. All that's connecting them to the gun are the two little axles on each side. A suggestion to fix that would be to move the barrel up to the center and make the axle up front large enough for the needles to travel through into the barrel.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    1 and 4 dude, leaning towards 4 the most. more aggressive looking
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 looks like it functions. aka holds what it gives out ect
    but 1 is nice and refined looking
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, i really like your stuff swizzle, and I was wondering if i could make animations for your items so that it would be less work on valve. If you want to discuss this prospect in further detail, feel free to send a private message or add me to steam(sparkwire) Thank you for your time.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    number four baby, it's so good I had to spell out the number!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator:
    I actually had the barrels misaligned in the previous concepts, so it's understandable that you'd be confused as to how the needles are supposed to get out. Anyway, they're going to shoot out the front of the cylinder and come out the (properly aligned!) barrel. It should make sense when it's in 3D.

Sparkwire:
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm currently planning on only making things that could use stock animations.

Since people liked #1 and #4 (and I did too), I decided to do some variations on them.
    eMNxh.jpg
  • Psyke
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle, you're making some awesome progress with the exploration of your weapons. However, I'm getting a very modern feel from a lot of these. Bare in mind that TF2 has a very strong 50s feel and if you were able to push that through with your concepts I think you'll have a very strong entry.

http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/tips.php
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    3 and 6 look the best to me.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic:
    The modern look is definitely something that concerns me, so I'm going to try to stay close to the current look of the Medic's weapons with the more detailed concepts. And speaking of more detailed concepts...

I had a look at the needlegun and Blutsauger and decided I could safely add a little more detail to the front to bring it more in line with the existing medic weapons. I'm trying to keep the same feel as the others while also being a unique design. I'm not sure how successful I am at the moment, but I think it's some decent progress.
    Xyl4A.jpg
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yea, thats the good stuff
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Move that dang barrel up! It's still bothering me! I know you said you'd do it in 3D but it'd take like 2 seconds!

Anyways looking good. That was my favorite silhouette out of your last batch. Doesn't look like there's much more you can do for this.

What's your third item going to be?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Move that dang barrel up!

NO! :poly124: The needles come out of the bottom of the cylinder! You can't make me do it! I REFUSE!!!! :poly127:
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    What's your third item going to be?
    I was thinking about doing a medigun that doesn't directly heal you or your target, but instead makes their weapon act like a Blutsauger.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I play medic a lot too, and I'm certainly looking forward to any new items for that class.
    It started with people not wanting to be medic, and thereby i was forced to do so, and eventually it just became enjoyable.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    i'm sorry swizzl, you've been disqualified for too much aweshome!
    nah.

- on the last pimp post, i'm interested in seeing how the gun/needler reloads? i can't see any mechanism/fucnitonal design for that (a suggestn, maybe it would fire slow and limited amounts of needles like 6 per cartridge..)

good work on the silohettes