Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle

Replies

• chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make the barrel white and the fluid red.

edit: or maybe not. Idk. it's missing something though. add white measurement lines like the guy above me suggested.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chickenman wrote: »

how about reverse that?^

hah
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chickenman wrote: »

edit: or maybe not. Idk. it's missing something though. add white measurement lines like the guy above me suggested.

Or the other way around :poly121:

edit: DAMN NINJAS
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Totally what she said, you're right!

Pretty much what everyone else is saying: Awesome but add the marks on the glass and the plunger, plunger end looks like it's most of the way in so it would be near the needle end.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Pogo, that was the most awesomest suggestion ever. Done.

This is still just flat base colors with AO, so I'll add the measurement lines later. I was planning on adding them anyway.
    polypack_screen_026.jpg
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    add jigglebones to the liquid please
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the liquid more visible :3
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    I like the needle being filled with liquids. I don't think it needs any jiggle bones.

When you grab liquid with a needle you don't leave any air in it.
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB wrote: »
    I like the needle being filled with liquids. I don't think it needs any jiggle bones.

When you grab liquid with a needle you don't leave any air in it.

True dat
    sorry :3
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Also there was already a discussion about how jiggle bones wouldn't work for this item since the animation will most likely make it more horizontal. The jiggle bones can't act like a liquid moving on all axis in a confined area like that. It'd look silly having it right in one position but completely wrong in another.

Anyway looking great. Did you get the specular to work? I don't see it much on the glass.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah that's weird, I'm not seeing much of that really strong phong highlight that the game has on the model at all. Maybe a little on the needle.
  • Blueplastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I came.
    Your models are awesome!
    Can't wait to see the medigun replacement :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I had a weird thing when I first looked at the syringe, I thought it was a Dsyon Hoover.

What about small little bubbles in the syringe(on the texture)?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator:
    The specular is working now. Last night the problem was with the actual model, so now I've just been screwing around with shader parameters and getting things looking pretty. Take a look at the screens below.

Blueplastic:
    Thanks!

Calabi:
    I've actually thought about putting some bubbles, but I don't have the texture resolution to make it work. I think it'd work better with particles or something anyway, and that's not something I'm planning on diving into.

I've got the specular working on the glass now, and I also imported the latest version of the needlegun. The back end is still clipping into the hand, so I'm just going to basically chop it down. I think I'm going to tone the spec on the glass down just a touch.

woXbp.jpg

You can see some smoothing errors on the replacement model, but I'm going to fix those soon. They're just smoothing group issues.
    K27vv.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you've got the melee and primary

what's the 3rd part?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still leaning towards a medigun attachment like the Kritzkrieg.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your Medic stuff!
    The new Needle gun's stalk when in FPS mode looks a bit off... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the model and concept, but it just looks a bit strange. A bit too short and blocky I think.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would you consider doing 4 items? as to add a new hat?

there's no rule saying you cant.
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #270, please fix the first person view so that the stick's end (the thing that goes into ur shoulder) cant not be seen unless u change the fov over 70 or 95 (the max fov u can change through console
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Looking good. Nadelwerfer obviously still has clipping issues with the stock. Also I'm noticing the same problem the other guy was having with his needlegun, your trigger majigger doesn't hook up to anything.

ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_commentaryofswizzle.jpg
  • ಠ_ಠ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think for the melee... maybe make that edge bit black or dark grey instead of red/blue? I mean, the team color would already be in the form of the liquid, and right now it kind of looks plasticy, where I could imagine it would look nice if it were more metallic.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. Nadelwerfer obviously still has clipping issues with the stock. Also I'm noticing the same problem the other guy was having with his needlegun, your trigger majigger doesn't hook up to anything.
    (pic)
    I think it's just fine tbh. TF2's weapon mechanisms make no real sense anyway. I mean really, 4 rockets in one barrel? Grabbing the back to reload syringes? Nothing really would work IRL, a trigger that isn't fully attached to a non-existant mechanism isn't much of a problem imo.

Also I support white liquid and team colored metal :D
  • Yanma024
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small contribution: If you think about a real syringe, you might need to make the back handle longer so the pump can move all the way through the body of the syringe.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I think it's just fine tbh. TF2's weapon mechanisms make no real sense anyway. I mean really, 4 rockets in one barrel? Grabbing the back to reload syringes? Nothing really would work IRL, a trigger that isn't fully attached to a non-existant mechanism isn't much of a problem imo
    Most folks won't notice.

BUT I WILL
    ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_tarsierstaring1.jpg
  • kromano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The syringe is looking pretty fab, Swiz, but the plunger as it is now couldn't be pushed all the way to the end:
    8ue9lpyf.jpg

The inside either needs to be pushed up a bunch more (ready for sucking out brain juice) or the outside bit needs a much longer pipe for injecting the entire contents of the syringe.
    8ue9lpyf.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kromano wrote: »
    -snip-
    The inside either needs to be pushed up a bunch more (ready for sucking out brain juice) or the outside bit needs a much longer pipe for injecting the entire contents of the syringe.

The latter is probably going to cause clipping issues. the 'outside bit' looks a bit telescopic which makes the lack of length a bit more reasonable.

anyway, it's looking fab. Bloody brilliant :D
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to say, these are great.
  • TheMetaKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks absolutely amazing!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss:
    I've changed the stock a little since that last image, so it looks less weird now.

Psyke:
    I've thought about it, but I have some ideas for items for a different class and I'd like to explore those if I have time.

RoronoaDSanji:
    Those screenshots were taken at the maximum viewmodel FOV, so don't worry about it.

Karkasmolenklok:
    I fixed the clipping issues with the latest model.

ಠ_ಠ:
    You're very verbose for a look of disapproval. Anyway, I'm going to play with a lot of different combinations of metal and team color, so don't worry.

To the people worried about the real life implications of certain things like triggers and plungers and whatnot:
    I think these things take acceptable breaks from reality to make something that looks cool. I'm not concerned that the plunger wouldn't go all the way or that there isn't any actual way to reload the needlegun. Remember that this is a game with teleporters and ubercharges and haunted swords that whisper to you and make your eyes glow when you chop people's heads off.

Anyway. I've been giving some thought to the third item I want to make. I still like the idea of making a kritzkrieg-style medigun attachment. I've thought about doing a full revamp of the medigun or a new backpack, but I'm not super excited about those ideas at the moment.

Here's the design I've got at the moment. It has some stuff from earlier in the thread mixed with new stuff. I kind of like the hoses, but the glowy bits above them I'm not so hot for.
    RkzOJ.jpg
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be honest, I'm not incredibly keen on that medigun just yet. It looks a bit too similar to the ones already in the game in my opinion.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I'm afraid I have to agree with snowloss here.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry; I do too.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe have a more squarish shape would do well to tell apart from the other mediguns!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I've said it before and I'll say it again

The medigun is, originally, fire-hose themed. You could go for a more classic fire-nozzle design and do quite well.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    The syringe weapon looks great Swizzle, I am glad you added the glass ontop and made the interior interesting with the fluid and the plungy part. I am going to jump on board and agree with the others about the look of your new medigun. It just seems like a pretty hard weapon to make unique when you are building it off of something thats already there.
  • Meower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use Aesculapius' rod for a model, with the snake (I suggested it like 5 times already XD)
    ALternatively, try using a more distinct figure, like a 3d Hexagonal solid, or any other form but a cylinder.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Meower wrote: »
    Use Aesculapius' rod for a model, with the snake (I suggested it like 5 times already XD)
    ALternatively, try using a more distinct figure, like a 3d Hexagonal solid, or any other form but a cylinder.

Hey that's at the top of my list for melee replacements! :poly122:

My comments on the medigun:

Like the tubing, don't like the kritzkrieg copy middle bit.
    The end is good but I don't like how it just sticks on the end, imho it should be the end rather than an attachment to the end.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antique firehoses part shapes would look cool as Karkas suggests-

santarosa.jpg
    0006_1_lg.jpg
    istockphoto_4399031-antique-brass-fire-hose-nozzle.jpg
    %21Bk11fH%21B2k%7E$%28KGrHqQH-EQEs92yHJKQBLZO%297WQt%21%7E%7E_35.JPG
    pirschnozzle.jpg

13380_med_1.jpg
    2748292502_282535d078.jpg
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    khthon, you are the reference master.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon, where the fuck do you find all your reference pics?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! On the internets. Used to be a research assistant, heheh.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Incredible. I never knew that the medigun had any visual references at all, I really need to get out and experience the world some more.

I'd like you to explore the roots of the medigun's design as I no longer can, but I feel all the stuff khthon has posted is really bland, I mean firehoses aren't exactly designed to look good. I think the best way to progress is to keep whatever you add in the same era, your concepts look futuristic, particularly the new end.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The theme seems to be "Leaked weapons you could have sworn Valve hasn't released yet"
    Seriously, these things are frighteningly good.

If you're not wanting to make a medigun, perhaps a hat of some sort?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Thanks! On the internets. Used to be a research assistant, heheh.

I don't think the difficulty lies in actually finding stuff, there are a ton of search engines, it's a matter of knowing how to search. The proper queries, etc.

I tried Bing for the pepperbox I'm making, found a hellaton more pics than google images.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, gotta know where and how
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has all been really useful feedback, guys, so thank you.

Karkasmolenklok, thanks for pointing out that the medigun was based on a fire hose nozzle. I didn't know that before and it's been helpful in looking for cool reference images.

I've hit a pretty major block trying to think of novel and interesting designs for a medigun and I'm stumped as far as backpacks go, so I decided to be productive instead of just sitting around with my thumb up my ass trying to think of something that'll work.

The texture is unfinished, but there isn't too much to do anyway.
    ZnZtT.jpg
  • Boylee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go on, give him a Hitler 'tache too. You know you want to.

On second thoughts maybe not. :S

Nice helmet though, am I right in thinking it's based off a WW2 German helmet?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boylee:
    No on the 'stache, yes on it being based on a WWII helmet. Medics in the German army wore ones that were painted white and/or had a red cross across the front or sides.

Here are a few screens of everything in game together. I'm not so sure about the light helmet. I may make it solid team color with white crosses. Eh, I'll figure it out.
    jhpmy.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THAT'S YOUR NEW NEEDLEGUN!?
    looks fantastic, brilliant, amazing, insert-adjective...I only saw it from the first person view but this view really puts it in a new perspective for me.
    The hat is also good.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    THAT'S YOUR NEW NEEDLEGUN!?
    looks fantastic, brilliant, amazing, insert-adjective...I only saw it from the first person view but this view really puts it in a new perspective for me.
    The hat is also good.

I think the adjective you're looking for is HUGE.