Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    As Y_M mentioned about the jigglebones, there's no effective way of making something with this particular design work. I'm definitely not using jigglebones.

Y_M:
    Having them too similar is definitely a concern, so I'm certainly going to work on changing up some proportions and things. I'm also considering using a different kind of grip and a single-finger trigger. I'd like to keep the wood and metal for the handle because I think it ties things together, but I'm looking into other suitable options. I may go with a rubber handle, or something wrapped in tape, or any number of other things. I'm still trying to flesh out the concept a little, so things are bound to change.

Norron:
    I like that little guard as well, but I'm having a tough time making it work in 3D without adding things that will make the design overly complex or just plain ugly. I may play around with it more, but I doubt it'll be in the final model.
    As for idle animations, I think I just want to keep this thing static. I'd like to do something interesting with animation, but I don't think it's worth the trouble trying to design something that would plausibly have animated parts.

Man of Popsicle:
    I like it too, so I added it to the blockout.

EvilShadow777:
    I'm trying to make sure everything's going to look interesting, so I'll probably be making a lot of changes before this is finished.

Been a bit busy with other things the past couple of days, so I didn't have a chance to update this.

Anyway, I built a rough blockout of the basic design and added a hand guard. I'm not terribly happy with how the guard looks, but I like the idea and I'm going to see where it goes once I play with it further.
    zFL93.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ah very few medic updates, Swizzle im loving the style of this ! I cant wait to see more!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    The needle gun is looking good!

I agree about the hand guard. It's at odds with the look of old medical gear which is all thick bars of stainless that have rounded sides and smooth bends. Maybe a front finger support or some more open and curvy shapes will work better.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    That looks suitably different :) very nice
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, this is really cool design. I would not change much, any additional details could spoil this fresh look. Anyways maybe you could add some old fashioned label to glass surface:
    http://www.hermes-one.com/images/LillyBottles.jpg
    http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!Bkv13!wBWk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEs71t!jDkBLY0(16KgQ~~_3.JPG
    Cant wait to see some engine screens :)
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as much as I like this model, it will clip through the hand if you're replacing the bonesaw, there isn't much space between the handle and that thing.
    EDIT: Try rotating the two circle thing 90 degrees to save space
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin, Y_M:
    Thanks!

Norron:
    A change was definitely in order, so I made it look a little more like the default bonesaw. I like it a little better this way.

Konras:
    I've been thinking about what sort of things I might put on the glass. I think I'm probably just going to do a few simple measuring lines.

Fragus:
    I'd already planned a rotate the plunger a bit, so don't worry.

Alrighty, I think this'll be the last rough before I start on the final model. I like the design and it fits in the medic's hand without weird clipping issues. I'm probably going to add a little detail to where the cylinder attaches to the handle to make it seem more attached and solid, but I think this is pretty well finalized.
    NdFLJ.jpg

I got the mockup in the engine to make sure everything is hunky dory with the proportions and clipping and whatnot. Everything seems okay here.
    2D9hY.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I approve of your actions and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    love the syringe dude
    i dont suppose you can point some of us to a place that tells us how to get stuff in game can you? i know google is my friend, but if you have some off hand so i dont have to dig, that would be great.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan wrote: »
    love the syringe dude
    i dont suppose you can point some of us to a place that tells us how to get stuff in game can you?

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tutcats/212
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Good plan testing out how the model will fit into the character's hand before going on to the finals. I should take a step back and test this with some of mine.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron:
    For only three easy payments of twenty-nine ninety-nine...

duoxan:
    I found these tutorials helpful:
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8747
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8746

Frump:
    It's something I wish I would've done with the needlegun in the blocking stage. It would've saved a lot of trouble.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good- almost resembles a caulking gun. maybe you could take some inspiration and doodads from those?

TajimaCaulkGun01Web.jpg
    caulking%20gun.jpg
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    yea i just saw these in your texturing post, which i can not thank you enough for. :)
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great dude. Its weird but each time I see your models in the hands of the character it catches me off guard because I keep forgetting how big these things are meant to be :poly124:.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess this doesnt sting just a "little" bit :P

Reminds me of: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8dn739RuDM[/ame]
    But it was never submitted obviously because of obvious reference.
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm. Maybe you should try and make a custom taunt for that needle. Just saying, because it seems valve only wants 1 taunt kill per class, and it'd be odd to see the medic play the needle like a violin.
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle

Is this a Melee or a Gun?
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle

Is this a Melee or a Gun?

Couldn't you just read through the thread? It's a melee. Unless you're talking about the syringe gun. Everything this page is a melee replacement.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon:
    Actually, it's inspired by veterinary syringes like this one. They're pretty similar, though.

duoxan:
    Glad to be of help.

nrek:
    Yeah, same here. I keep thinking the scale gets all funky in the import process, but then I realize that all the TF2 weapons are just gigantic.

Mico27:
    Yeah, there are definitely some similarities there.

Some Jerk:
    I don't actually need to do a custom taunt. Valve could simply use the bonesaw tauntkill animation for it.

Clusternate:
    It's a replacement for the bonesaw.

Righto. I think the model's almost finished. I have a little bit of optimization to do, but that's all as far as modeling goes. Now I just need to get to the UV and texturing stage and that'll be it. After this, I'm probably going to work on a new backpack. I haven't decided on that for sure, though.
    t4cOK.jpg

Ud7m5.jpg
  • The Red Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it! Im just not much of a fan of the back part... looks like a wind-up key. I would suggest to delete it or make it smaller. Either way, good luck!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa are you really modelling in the screw grooves? that's pretty mental.

Other than that reckless move :P I like it. Will you have the uber-meter from the ubersaw inside it?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to do but say good job.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Whoa are you really modelling in the screw grooves? that's pretty mental.

Other than that reckless move :P I like it. Will you have the uber-meter from the ubersaw inside it?

Look at the Ambassador, that thing is almost 19k tris and the screws are modelled in.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a recommendation of 8,000 though, I wouldn't go over that by too much. But that's your choice.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Y_M, Rogue Trooper:

8000 tris is a lot for a single small or medium sized prop. No matter how many bevels or curves I add to my items they are still way under 8k. As long as you are using all of your loops and verts and things effectively, there's not too much chance of going overboard. If you're just starting out you might have some problems, but as you go on you'll get better at keeping your tri count at a good number.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I've said before, I have no modeling talent so thanks for the info and I'm sorry for being "that guy".
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    My point was supposed to be a "they're so small why would you bother, texture will do just fine" not an "ahh you're gunna go way overboard on tris" >.<
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Red Man:
    I was trying to go for something reminiscent of metal syringes with holes for fingers, so that's where the design came from.

Y_M:
    I modeled them so there'd be a nice amount of detail in first-person view. Any that weren't visible are now gone.

Khthon:
    Thanks!

About the tri count: It's fine. I'm currently at 3104 triangles and that's way, waaaaay below the suggested limit. As I said above, the screws you can't see in first-person are gone, so it's no longer an issue (even though with the current tri count it wasn't anyway, but... you know).

ANYWAY. PICTURES.

I've got the UVs laid out and I've laid down some base colors. Now is be make time for brushy brushy!
    polypack_screen_022.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lighter/grayer color for handle?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lighter handle would look a little better, although people won't see it much anyways. The container part of the syringe seems plain, maybe that will be made more interesting with textures though.

Is this going to a clean medical tool or more of a dirty battle-worn instrument of death?

A dirty/battle worn look gives more options for the textures etc.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably going to lighten up most of the texture significantly, so stay tuned. It's probably going to have a bit of wear and tear on it, but nothing major. Maybe a bit of blood on the needle.

Maybe one of the Source gurus around here can help me out with something. I've imported the model and it's looking all spiffy except for one thing; no specular. I can't get the $phong shader to work no matter what I do. I've tried copying entire VMTs from other suitable items, but to no effect whatsoever. $selfillum and the various flavors of alpha/translucency work just dandy, but I can't get specular no matter what I do. It's acting like it's flat shaded in the model viewer and it only receives ambient light in-game — nothing directional.

Help?

Here's what my VMT looks like at the moment. I stole it from the axtinguisher.
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture"	"models\weapons\c_items\c_ubersaw"

"$phong" "1"
    	"$phongexponent" "25"
    	"$phongboost" "5"	
    	"$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_lightwarp"
    	"$phongfresnelranges"	"[.25 .5 1]"
    	"$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

"$rimlight" "1"
    	"$rimlightexponent" "4"	
    	"$rimlightboost" "1"

"360?$color2" "[ 0.9 0.8 0.8 ]"

"$glowcolor" "1"

// Cloaking
    	"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    	"Proxies"
    	{
    		"weapon_invis"
    		{
    		}
    		"ModelGlowColor"
    		{
    			"resultVar" "$glowcolor"
    		}
    		"Equals"
    		{
    			"srcVar1"  "$glowcolor"
    			"resultVar" "$selfillumtint"
    		}
    		"Equals"
    		{
    			"srcVar1"  "$glowcolor"
    			"resultVar" "$color2"
    		}
    	}
    }

And here's what it looks like in the model viewer:
    polypack_screen_023.jpg

I notice that the diffuse looks darker in the model viewer than it should. Could this be some sort of vertex map problem or something of the sort? Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    For specular.

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1 //(If your specular is in your normal map. If not, remove this line)
    "$basealphaenvmapmask" 1 //(If your specular is in your diffuse alpha. Specular maps embedded in basealpha work in reverse. Black areas are reflective and white are matte. If using this, flip the colors on your specular map. If not using this, remove this line)
    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    "$envmapcontrast" 1
    "$envmapsaturation" 1
    "$envmaptint" "[ 0.08 0.08 0.08 ]"

Not sure why your diffuse is darker in the model viewer. I've never had that problem before. Maybe it's an issue you're getting when you convert to VTF?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Zipf.

So, false alarm. I figured out the problem: Modo's damned OBJ exporter is a piece of crap that outputs bad normals and vertex data like nothing else.

Never use it.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! I was theoretically right about the problem.

Also, that thing is looking sweet. Stop making us all look bad please?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! I was theoretically right about the problem.
    Yup, that was actually pretty helpful. Mentioning the possibility of bad normals made me remember just how bad Modo's OBJ exporter is. Now that I know Blender is reliable in that regard, I'll use it for export.
    Also, that thing is looking sweet. Stop making us all look bad please?
    No! NONONONONONOOOOOO!!! :poly105:
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Noooo please continue being awesome! The more awesome you make your stuff the harder I have to push myself to try and match you!

:P
  • The Red Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, looks alot better with color! I bet this will get in!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    shaweet. looking cool.
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks 'tremly good^^

How 'bout that?

polypackscreencluster.jpg
  • xilefian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the colours mirror the ubersaw too much.
    Try swapping the red for the middle-right orange here
    tips_palette.gif
    And replace the brown-wood handle with the light-coloured metal of the bonesaw's blade.
    bonesaw.gif
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the color are just fine as it is. The medic's weapons dont uses yellowish colors and is more baseed on team colors.
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it more resembles the blutsauger colors, not a bad thing.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I think that weapons should be fast recognizable from distance. (one reason is why they changed demoman's trage colors from team to orange). So it should not have the colors of previous medic mele weapons.
    One more thing :D When I saw this model, I though that you could make his fluid container transparent like here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDIhlPrfKU) and as far as it will stay cylindrical it could even jiggle to the sides (when you strafe) with no intersections :)
    Anyways its a great design and model, good luck, I would gladly play with it :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Red Man, oobersli:
    Thanks!

Y_M:
    My plan is to stay awesome. Hopefully I can keep it up. And yes, that is what she said.

Clusternate:
    I'm planning something similar to that.

xilefian, Mico27, Cheeezy, Konras:
    I'm going to be doing a lot more with the textures, so don't sweat it.

Finally got this bad boy working in-engine with some pretty shader goodness. These textures are 100% WIP and extremely unfinished. They're nothing more than base colors and AO.

There are a couple of really gnarly seams I've got to take care of and I need to add a few tris here and there to take care of shading issues, but the end is in sight.
    polypack_screen_025.jpg

polypack_screen_024.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like it could suck the fluid right outa' yer head.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's one big ass seringe ...
    an eye could pass trough that seringe o_x
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    thats the perfect size for a elephant hemorrhoids drainer!!!! :)

looks great. nice clean shapes! really like the sillohette it creates in first person.
  • ChrisspyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man...
    That is some kick ass work you got going there!
    It's all looking great, keep up the good work!
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great, but the insides look far too bare.
    syringe.jpg
    lol wobly mouse