Homeโ€บ Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle

Replies

• Djokson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few screens of everything in game together. I'm not so sure about the light helmet. I may make it solid team color with white crosses. Eh, I'll figure it out.

I would keep it white, if you make t dark it could become too similar to the Pickelhaube.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep it clean white with a coloured cross...this baby would look brilliant with the procedure mask
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clean white works with his lab coat.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I like, it! Gives me a UN vibe. :)
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Have you tried combining the helmet with my mask? I think the logos might be a bit overdone if you wear them together.
    Awesome stuff none the less.
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the helmet the way it is now. It meshes perfectly with his outfit! Also, that needlegun looks awesome in world view, but I'm not sure about the texture in the viewmodel. It seems a little too messy, especially compared to the original needler. I think it should be toned down a little with a few more flat colors. Otherwise, this is all really awesome work!
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good on the helm... As for the needle gun, I'd suggest sending in both the 'long stock' version and the current short stock just in case.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    jgoodroad:
    Thanks!

dickless:
    Actually, it's about the same size as the normal needlegun. It's not quite as tall, but the barrel is longer. Have a look:
    RJyQg.jpg

Djokson:
    That's a good point. I'd forgotten that the Pickelhaube is similar.

Psyke:
    I hope so!

Khthon:
    I actually sampled colors from the medic's coat, so the helmet colors are actually the exact same color as his coat ย— a warm cream color and a very light blue-gray, respectively.

fearian:
    Now that you mention it, it does look a bit like a UN helmet. Interesting.

Gerre:
    I have, in fact. I don't know if it's too much, but I think they kind of go well together.
    Jf6Kh.jpg

youngoli:
    I'm going to give the texture another pass before I send it in. A bit of cleanup is in order.

Snowloss:
    I really like the stock, but I'm afraid it simply won't work. The stock clips into his arm in a really nasty way, so I'll just send in the short version.

I think I'm pretty much done here. I'm going to finish up the textures and make sure all the compiled and non-compiled files are in order and I'm going to send this stuff in. As much as I wanted to do a medigun replacement, it's just not going to happen. I can't think of a good design and I have plans for another class pack that I really want to work on.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys have given me; it's all been extremely useful and this has been an amazing learning experience. I'll start a new thread for the other class pack I'm planning within the next day or two. See you there!
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle: I honestly don't think it would hurt your chances at all to send it in as an alternate (submit version and 'fun' version) or at least to the Contribute page... I admit I really really REALLY like the stock.

Whatever you decide, I can't wait to equip it and use it in game!

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see what you cook up for your next submission!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait just a minute...you plan on ANOTHER class pack!?
    you just keep surprising me,
    but can we see the final weapons...one last time?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Seems to me a solution would be to just have the stock be higher up and maybe slightly further forward on the gun, kind of like the P-90.

ae3e40883c0ac88abd35ce8bc82c5868_swizzlestock.jpg

It would mean the barrel would be lower than normal alignment, kind of like the TDI Vector Kriss super V, which I think is cool but isn't everyone's cup of tea.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the mask and helmet combo. is godly.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss, Karkasmolenklok:
    I like the stock as well, but it's to the point where putting it back and trying to make it work would be more trouble than it's worth.

jgoodroad:
    Yes indeed. I'm going to start a new thread soon, but not before I've completely finished putting all the final touches on these and making sure they're easy as pie to get working.

Psyke:
    Haha, I thought it was pretty cool, too.

Alrighty, here's the final image I'm likely to post in this thread.
    RQs2y.png
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The two front screws on the Nadelwerfer look a tad wonky, but holy smokes that image is saved.
    Right to my desktop. Forever.
  • nex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nex
    thats it....medic replacement is just yours...

ps: create medigun to complete this marvelous collection :)
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all matches the medic so perfectly.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all matches the medic so perfectly.

I know, it's pretty darn eerie...
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I'm not sure I like how the BLU one looks, but other than that it's really crisp.

Just a shot in the dark here, what would it look like if the interior of the helmet were a dark color?
  • pw pw pw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work, Swizzle. Yours has been my favorite thread to follow here and I hope you win for medic :thumbup:

edit: as far as functionality goes, i know you're not supposed to come up with your own but i've always liked the idea of a slower, more powerful needlegun. It would fire needles closer to the revolver's rate of fire, and with a slightly faster/farther trajectory than the regular needlegun. I sort of pictured the nadelwafer working like this, because the needles are so much bigger.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Freaking awesome. That's pretty much all I can say.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damnit swizzle, what'd I tell you about showing off!?!?!?
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaamn talk about crushing the competition :p
  • fastturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty damn slick, dude!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    You can enter as many times as you want according to Adam. I would love it if Swizzle did another set but that's up to him.
  • Vegas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vegas polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking hot mate. Fits right into the TF2 universe. Good luck.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If he did seven sets he would end up working for valve...

excluding engi and soldier, because I fear he would overtake the other canadates
    nudge nudge wink wink
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, I can't believe how great the this work is that you put into the game. I really hope to get my own "painkiller","Wilhelm's War Bucket" and "nadelwerfer" to play! Just in my opinion, I agree with Karkasmolenklok's opinion of placing the stock higher up like the p90 if it isn't too much of a hassle. I think it could make the gun look a little more intimidating and would really complement how the medic holds his weaponry. I logged in to complement you on your work; you are doing a fantastic job my friend!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before you go off and call this project finished, it would really help me sleep at night if you double check the theme, files, and rules...
    the last thing anyone wants is to have greatness put down due to a disqualification
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss:
    Yeah, I think I'm going to make them a little smaller and see if I can integrate them slightly better. I'll look again at how they do it on the syringe gun.

nex:
    While I'd love to have made a new medigun, I simply couldn't come up with a design I was satisfied with. You wouldn't believe the number of designs, ideas, references and other stuff I went through before deciding not to do it. I was actually pacing around the house trying to figure out some way of making it work. Oh well. So it goes.

jgoodroad:
    Thanks! I was hoping I could make something that looked like it fit.

Karkasmolenklok:
    I'm going to give a dark helmet interior a shot just to see how it looks. Dunno if it'll work, but I'll try it anyway.

pw pw pw:
    Thanks! That's actually fairly similar to how I pictured it working as well, but I don't have any idea what Valve may or may not do if I submit it. Just like with the Pain Train, I'm not going to suggest any sort of weapon stats because I'm certain they've already thought of gameplay issues that need to be addressed.

Norron:
    Thanks! Now get to work on your stuff. :D

ScudzAlmighty:
    Hey, man, I'm just, like, this guy, you know? Just... yeah.

Mico27:
    You make me sound so sinister...

fastturtle:
    Thanks!

DKK:
    As far as I know, it's kosher with adam to have more than one entry. That's good enough for me.

Zipfinator:
    Oh, it's up to me indeed... :poly123:

jgoodroad:
    I don't have enough free time, patience or creativity to do that much stuff. Now, if somebody wants to pay me...

Hotdogbunker:
    While I do like Karkasmolenklok's suggestion, we're way too far into the game at this point. There are so many other little issues I have to address before I send these things off to Valve that there's no way I'm putting a new stock on it. And I have my other entry to worry about as well.

jgoodroad:
    I read through the rules pretty carefully and I've been following the questions and answers thread pretty closely as well, so I don't think there are any issues.

So. That's it. Thank you all for the feedback and kind words. If you want to continue helping me out with suggestions or critiques, I have a new thread going with a new theme for a new class, and it's all right here.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to say, ya did a great job with your medic items! Your gona be some hard competition for the rest of us! I love what you wrote about your Painkiller! Funny and unique! Great job to ya!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Brilliant and hilarious entry Swizzle!
  • FuriousGeorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    or the German (I think) Sten Gun
    sterling_smg_07.jpg

That's a British "Sterling" SMG - also used as basis for storm trooper gun in Star Wars. The Sten is an older (WWII) British SMG that the Sterling evolved from: StenGunMark2.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Hi there, Swizzle, I love both of your packs, and you're sure to win with at least one of them!

I have a few questions, which program are you using? I'm currently using 3Dsmax 2010 for my pack, but as we know the files for the weapons, class arms etc are made for maya and have to be decompiled which i've done fine.

Also how did you manage to pose the models up with the POV hands and the world models, as I really don't want to reach this point and then find my models do not fit D:.

Great work once again (thank jebus you aren't doing spy :D)
    :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Modo for modeling, Milkshape for import/export and Photoshop for texturing.

I got the models working in-game by exporting them from Milkshape as SMDs and then compiled them with the same names as the Ubersaw (for the syringe), the Blutsauger (for the needle gun), and the medic's Ghastly Gibus (for the helmet). Once the files are compiled and in the correct folders, they replace the default models when viewing them in the model viewer.

These tutorials should be helpful:
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8746
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8747
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    I use Modo for modeling, Milkshape for import/export and Photoshop for texturing.

I got the models working in-game by exporting them from Milkshape as SMDs and then compiled them with the same names as the Ubersaw (for the syringe), the Blutsauger (for the needle gun), and the medic's Ghastly Gibus (for the helmet). Once the files are compiled and in the correct folders, they replace the default models when viewing them in the model viewer.

These tutorials should be helpful:
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8746
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8747

Thanks for that :), so you didn't have to mess around with posing the models in Modo? also thanks very much for the tutorials :)
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    Wow this is amazing! It almost looks as if Valve made the items themselves. In fact it looks better than it would if Valve made them themselves. Anyways good luck, I really like these items and they fit the Tf2 style perfectly.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    can you use the red cross? I was under the impression that it was trademarked that's why games don't use it any longer as a 'health' type icon, because red cross started pursuing action against games using the red cross logo.. hence why many use syringes, blood drops, etc looks ace though.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering the medkits already use the red cross, I dont think that's an issue :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The red cross on the helmet is just the Medic logo. You can see it if you look on his shoulder. The only difference is it doesn't have the yellow background.

So, uh, I'm assuming I can use it. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yep, looks ace red/white is probably the trademark thing, red/yellow probably isn't. It was a few years back when they made the big stink about games not using the 'red cross' logo
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was a big red "T-for-team"
    and do you realize that both of your packs come equipped with the capacity to knock my socks off?
  • :Duh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know where to get the Template from like when you finish designing and complete the weapons then you put it on that Update Template where do you get it from?
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... ... ...
    you make it using Photoshop and/ or Illustrator
  • Aceguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the hat
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you won't have any issues with the red cross thingie :O
    I personally think it looks perfect as it is... should you come into trouble you could probably just give it a yellow background like the mask though.
  • ChrisspyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude, i think this should have won
  • Nattaboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I loved the stuff you made here. Any chance of you releasing any of these as skins? that would be amazing.