Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    ok so enough is enough already right? how long does it take to make a freakin hat anyway, well here's the final(ish):
    KEDSlashHat_06.jpg
    can somebody point me towards a reasonably simple tutorial for getting the model in-game? it looks good here (in maya) but I'm guessing the tf2 shader is going to change that and I'd like to know how it'll look before I submit.
    any help would be awesome
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Scudz Here is fantastic tutorial about lunching hats in-game http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465

It will "mask" the ghasty gibbus for demoman, so all you need to do is to work in heavy folders, but probably it will be a peace of cake for you :) I was haveing some problem with missing textures, but that was because putting materials in "modesl" not "materials" branch in tf folder. Anyway if you wll have any problem post it here or there and for sure someone will help you right away :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    With regards to the Frankenstein cranium (which is looking mighty nifty), I'd suggest simplifying the hair detail so that it could be drawn with just a few arcing lines. That should look nicer and suit the TF2 universe better too.

I dunno whether you could do the same with your design, Scudz but it might be worth considering.

Some great stuff coming through here, Guys. Here's to having a 100% Polycount release this time instead of a mere 60%
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    yes.png its for the sandman, going to make a little laser ball as well.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Yo Jackablade - got any examples/drawings? - i tend to overthink/overcomplicate things...

will be awhile besides, my pc got mighty f**cked on the weekend, hope i haven't lost my work :(
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    wip_bleed.jpg textures about 80 percent done, mostly the snake skin bandana an a lil more cloth tweaks. still scared it will be too similar to the snipers normal hat to pass, also woried they will skim over "tribute" hats that reference other ips, even if it is pretty general
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Konras wrote: »
    Scudz Here is fantastic tutorial about lunching hats in-game http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465

It will "mask" the ghasty gibbus for demoman, so all you need to do is to work in heavy folders, but probably it will be a peace of cake for you :) I was haveing some problem with missing textures, but that was because putting materials in "modesl" not "materials" branch in tf folder. Anyway if you wll have any problem post it here or there and for sure someone will help you right away :)

... I think I got about 12 pages into that thread with various degree's of success (can't get maya smd imp/exp working) before my brian exploded. for a company so in favour of users creating content they sure make it a goddamn nightmare to do so....
    Jackablade wrote: »
    With regards to the Frankenstein cranium (which is looking mighty nifty), I'd suggest simplifying the hair detail so that it could be drawn with just a few arcing lines. That should look nicer and suit the TF2 universe better too.

I dunno whether you could do the same with your design, Scudz but it might be worth considering.

Some great stuff coming through here, Guys. Here's to having a 100% Polycount release this time instead of a mere 60%

I will absolutely try that, as soon as i can figure out how to get the damn thing in-game so that I can see how it works with the tf2 shader and adjust accordingly.
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    You can get really close results to the tf2 shader in maya useing bryces shader. ill post the settings im using here in just a bit. Rim lighting is a little much and color is brighter, its deff not perfect but close. :/

engi.png
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Scudz Ahh, yes I was not aware that SMD is the general problem. For static mesh you could use some OBJ->SMD converter probably, but here you should have skin information and thats nasty. Probably the best way would be to import-export it from max/blender/something else? For sure you have some trust worthy friends with max :)
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    does this help for maya ?
    http://forums.goldeneyesource.net/index.php?topic=981.0
    http://mitglied.multimania.de/prallvamp/
    Hats need to be skinned on the head bone anyway so no chance for a simple obj>smd exporter
    No problem in max with wunderboy tools. I love this guy.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    wow its totaly comical what you have to go thru to get something in this engine. almost got it tho.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    ok.. the farkin mdl decompiler is not workin for me at all, i finaly got it running had to go in an edit my game info files because of some stupid error, now if i press the [...] button to load a file it crashes, if i type in the locataion i get failed to open model. i'm trying to do this step

ow you need an idle file. Extract an official Valve hat the same way you did with the Demoman model earlier on. When you decompile, it should have a file called "idle.smd". Copy this into your Eyeball folder. would also like to pull out the vtf for the snipers hat. to use
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    http://rapidshare.com/files/372395791/Inputs.rar.html

here are all characters and hats smd and shit (no hats from last upgrade though)
    Decompiling was a pain in the ass. Dno which version "official" or hacked of mdldecompiler i used a last but i remember i had to type the paths manualy. DId you replace the ISDT0 by ISDT. ? Is mdldecompiler in the correct folder ?
    edit : I remember i had this error "App ID set to 211 but no SteamAppId" with the hacked one so i used the official

must say, guide from steam forum is far from beeing complete.

For me, all idle.smd were fucked (the head bone is miles away) but basically you just have to select the bip_head bone and export it as a sequence smd of 30 frames.
    valve shud integrate all our custom items succesfuly compiled in tf2, as reward for the shit we've been through ^^
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey Here you have Erix920's fixed version of MDLdecompiler ( http://www.kathar.net/hl2modding/applications.php#MDLdecompiler ). It worked great for me.

About the process in general I just start from the files that can be downloaded from link in first post here. Build the mesh on head (it will not be perfect because model is not perfectly in center). After I am done I delete everything else than hat and bip_head (now I move the the bip_head bone on X axis to 0 so its pivot lands on mirrors symmetry center of the hat)... skin it, export (yeah i know max is easy). About the texture you can replace the name with notepad++ in SMD. I got my Idle file from hat what was specified on TF2 forum. In viewer you can load your hat as a weapon for character, because model alone has pivot kicked out in space and is impossible to view IMO.

ps. Here I decompiled Heavy domination (I was using engineer domination also to be able to see it in-game, and it worked perfectly, so maybe it will help you also) http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21804533/HEAVY_DOMINATION.zip

Also its quite nice to play on not pure server and see your hats on people with ghasty gibbus :D
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    well i finaly got the decompile, and i'm trying to compile now, but i'm getting a bad launch error or something. taking a break for now, frustrating taking hours to just get a simple model into a game. i'm wanting to replace the halo for the heavy, anyone know what that is named so i can overwrite?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Noors wrote: »
    valve shud integrate all our custom items succesfuly compiled in tf2, as reward for the shit we've been through ^^

no no, they should hire anybody that's actually able to pull this off (like you:\) now when I get home and this works I'm going to dance a little jig and if it doesn't work I'm going to do the white guy thriller dance outside Valve's office until they provide a less infuriating method of testing a damned hat.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    no no, they should hire anybody that's actually able to pull this off (like you:) now when I get home and this works I'm going to dance a little jig and if it doesn't work I'm going to do the white guy thriller dance outside Valve's office until they provide a less infuriating method of testing a damned hat.

Should try to do a full scale mod in the older Source engine. I think I tried to gouge my eyes out once I was so frustrated with the backward ass thinking. Luckily is a bit better now. Although the image format conversions, smd compilers, and broken-ass model viewers make me love Unreal's targa friendly atmosphere all the more.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey Yeah the compilation process is like pain in the... I could not make it work first day after reading tuts, trying bazylion of times and soo on...
    There is even a video tut witch I have downloaded in the time of depression. Maybe it will help... :
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13123095&postcount=295

Halo is located here, and as I see its shared for all classes, so the best way is to use Ghibus (domination hat): tf->models->player->items->all_class->all_halo
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Konras wrote: »
    because model alone has pivot kicked out in space and is impossible to view IMO.

yep, that's because the idle.smd is fucked up :)
    Simply generate a new one by selecting the bip_head and export as sequence smd of 30 frames, then you can see your model in modelviewer, at the right place
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    You guys really shouldn't be trying to replace the Ghastly Gibus if it's your first time getting a model into Source. You should just get it in game as a static or physics prop and play it in a test map just to see the phong/shader settings in game. If you guys are really having that much trouble getting it in game I can make a little step by step guide of either replacing the Gibus or as your own physics prop.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I would be just fine with that as well, really anything that's straightforward and doesn't assume I already know half the steps :)
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    i was able to go from maya to source using this, but the textures wouldn't show, thats user error im sure though.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on a tutorial now. I'll post a link to it here when I'm done.

EDIT: Tutorial is taking a bit longer than expected to make and I've been a bit distracted tonight. I'll have it up in a few hours or early tomorrow morning sometime.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    DKK wrote: »
    (you just need to close and reopen the model viewer) its a little tedious but its faster than loading a level each time.

:poly115:
    nah just hit F5, it will refresh the entire model (mesh/mat/texture)
  • prolow
    Offline / Send Message
    prolow polycounter lvl 11
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    wasn't sure if yous guys had seen this

It feels funny in my pants.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    hahaha, i haven't checked this thread out in a while, so much cool new stuff. You guys are all shoe ins.

I can see the Frankenstein head bonus already: Engies can heal and give you ammo with their wrench!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished my tutorial on how to get your hat in game as a physics prop.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=1110076#post1110076
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah... I searched a Steam Community forum for nice idea (and easy one to make)...
    I chosen the football/rugby ball for heavy, because I sense a need for something that could piss off Scout :D
    Heres a early wip. I am not happy about the texture look yet (still need to figure out how to much TF2 style, and have a detail needed for cracked leather)
    15u2wi.jpg

PS. Here is the thread with the weapon idea:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207308
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Would that act sort of like a Sandman? That just gave me a good idea...
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    deffo not from the 60's but anyway, just had a bit of fun testing jiggle bones.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EggnFhUnDI[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Just ditching that skin texture entirely and leaving it as a smooth brown would get you pretty close to an appropriate level of detail for TF2.
  • Sharkisss
    I'm looking for a modeler. I have a lot of ideas for new hats and weapons in TF2, but I can't model. Your job will not go unrewarded. Waiting for your replies !!!!!!!
  • wwjd
    i'm fairly new to modelling, i got the very basic knowledge down and look forward to doing something that's at least a bit useful, so i thought maybe i could make something for team fortress 2, specifically a hat for the spy.

I'm working with blender. My problem now is, being a noob, I don't know how i could actually begin this. looking at a few of the models i see that rim around the head is closely fitted (with the actual model).what I tried to do at first was, after importing the .smd, knife a straight cut into the actual model and duplicate the loop . the problem is that the original models got too many vertices (or at least i think it does) for just a hat, so I tried to delete a few "random" vertices and connect them again, but somehow this feels quite sloppy.
    can someone please give me some hints, i'd really appreciate if you gave me a quick rundown. Or is it just a misconception that tf2s hats are this closely fitted to the head?
    thanks in advance :)
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    wwjd, most hats will have a ledge on the bottom. Meaning that the edgeloop that touches the head will mostly be hidden. This means you can just let it intersect with the head model to make sure there are no gaps (just incase of weird camera angles.)

I just started on my first TF2 model today, so if my advice is wrong, I'm very sorry. But i don't think you should worry to much, just start modeling and adjust your model when you think it's not right. The best way to finish you model is just by starting instead of worrying ;)

And now i'd like to ask you polycounters to tear my model apart and give me tips and pointers on how to improve it.
    I'm working on a "weapon" for the scout. It's not so much a damage dealing weapon but mostly a weapon to put out burning teammates, much like the jar thrown by the sniper.
    I just started on the textures but I'm sorta stuck. The problem is I'm afraid I'll add to much details causing my model to look pretty boring.

261kml5.jpg

As you can see I'm not using a normal map on my model. I personaly don't think it's detailed enough to need a normal map.

So any tips, adjustments are welcome. If you think I'd be better of abandoning this model and starting over, please tell. I'd rather work on a model with potential than waste my time ;)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's a waterbomb?

Other than giving it a consistent colour scheme (grab the colour chart from the TF2 submission site), i don't think it really needs anything more. Maybe a face drawn on the balloon with sharpie or something similar.
  • tommywomble
    Wouldn't the staples pop the balloon? :P
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    @ Jackablade, Yup a waterbomb =D All the colors I used on this are from the color scheme I got from the Valve website. Just the very tip of the balloon is a slightly lighter orange to give it a bit of roundness. And the the ballon parts near the cardboard is slightly darker to give it a feeling of being pressed into the cardboard.

I'll see if I can come up with a fun idea to draw on top of the ballon, thanks =D

@ tommywomble, Well my idea was that you would first make the holder and press the balloon in afterwards. That way the balloon should survive it =3 (Or long enough to hit someone in the face anyway)

Thanks for the comments guys!
  • crasong
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    More tape could work too :B
  • artdangle
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0B7mFSysc

Hello everyone, this is my first model I've ever completed. Although the textures are not totally finalized, I was looking for some critique or really anything this wild and crazy internet thing can offer before I submit it to the Contribute! site.
  • artdangle
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0B7mFSysc[/ame]

I'm sorry if I double posted, I'm new to polycount. Err... hello everyone! This is my first model I've ever completed, although I'm not finished playing around with the textures. I was really looking for any critique or suggestions to improve my contribution before submitting it to the site. The Jaw has jigglebones and will give a terrifying chomping effect, I assure you. Also, I noticed after making the movie that the paint splotch on the red headband is missing, just a note.
  • Sharkisss
    I HAVE I DEAS FOR HATS BUT I CANT MODEL, NEED YOUR ALL HELP

So here is the list.
    HEAVY:
    1.Granny Scarf
    2. Cat ears
    3. Sumo hair

PYRO:
    1. Demon horns
    2. Flame helm

SPY:
    1. Ninja mask
    2. Fake mask
    3. Robber Tights ( u know, just imagine)

SNIPER:

1. Safari hat
    2. Koala necklace

SCOUT :
    1. Moms pride

ENGIE :
    1. Visor
    2. Farmers hat

DEMO :
    1. Gangsters do- rag
    2. Top cap (don’t know how it is called)

MEDIC:

1. Nurse hat

SOLLY :
    1. Fisherman’s hat
    2. Roman helm
    3. Boonie hat

Random hats (not classed yet)
    1.Kepi
    2. Kofia
    3. Zucchetto
    4. Bicorne
    5. Boater
    6. Caubeen
    7. Chapeau
    8. Fez
    9. War bonnet
    10. Bearskin
    11. Custodian Helmet

AND SOME WEAPONS ( I thought only one)
    1. Floatboats ( for Solly, replacement for gunboats)
    It should have wings of the sides. It should give +15 rocket jump hight and -5 gravity.

I HAVE A LIST WITH FOTOS, SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THAT LIST, BE SURE TO MESSAGE ME HERE.
  • James9475
    Are you serious? Nobody is going to make hats for you.....

P.S. Don't you just love 'ideas men'

P.P.S. If you're just a kid who thinks TF 2 is cool then sorry for being harsh
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    You could stop being harsh anyway.

Sharkiss, I reccomend you choose something you like and give it a go and we'll give you some pointers along the way. Hats are generally fairly simple shapes so it's probably a good way to learn the ropes of a 3d package.

As far as your options go, I think the police helmet would likely go well in TF2.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Sharkisss, your ideas are very vague and could be interpreted in thousands of ways. You are just throwing out words. While you might see it in your head, we get completely different ideas from those words. I suggest you take a few a develop them more. Providing more in depth descriptions.

At the moment, your ideas are open ended enough that anyone could make them and claim them as their own. It doesn't take much to think, "cat ears" for instance.

What would be better would be: Granny Scarf, red, hand knitted, woolen scarf, double knotted and wrapped to the side; draped over the left shoulder.

That kind of thing can still generate dozens of different interpretations but it's a lot more specific.
  • James9475
    I think we should be clear in saying, develop your ideas and then make them yourself.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    so many cool ideas in this thread, and some really nice execution on the the style on quite a few
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    dear goddd.....

still chuggin away at this in my free time:
    frank05.jpg

diffuse is 1024px at the moment but still looks goood at 512px
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    looking awesome, can't wait to see it in game.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    yeah it's great but keep things simple.