Home General Discussion

What ironic timing...

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minute on GA, I've probably only looked at 1 or 2 threads, but that place seemed to much like deviant art for me. The criticism is way too nice and not very constructive.

Meh, I wouldn't say that. Comparing it to deviantart is pretty low :P Plenty of talented people there.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    plenty off bad ass people on deviant art too. I know when I`m looking to get inspired, DA is always a 1 stop shop. I used to troll CA.org, but that site is just FAR too slow.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    theres good art everywhere, the point zacd is making is that there are more useless comments in certain communities. But I disagree about GA being like deviantart ...
    Deviantart is really the lowest of the low when it comes to overwhelming amount of useless comments about art.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minute on GA, I've probably only looked at 1 or 2 threads, but that place seemed to much like deviant art for me. The criticism is way too nice and not very constructive.

That's if you even get any criticism...

This is my sole complaint about GA. There's some incredible art and some incredibly talented artists there, but it's just a big clique and that's what I don't like about it.

Here at PC, it doesn't usually matter what your post count is, or your 'rep' on the forum... you're gonna get some crit either way, be it appreciation, or be it completely getting your work torn apart. People are willing to offer constructive comments on here, as well as compliments where they're deserved.

I find on GA that you only get a decent amount of feedback (read:any at all) if you're part of the 'GA Crew'.

The same group of maybe 10-20 people comment in every thread and just C&C each others work.

It's not just bad work either, I've seen some pretty decent stuff posted and just get ignored, no compliments, no crits, nothing.

And I guess while GA is a fine place to lurk if you wanna see some good art and get some crit 'from the sidelines' if you will, it's just not welcoming enough to new users be classed as as good a community as PC in my opinion.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Like I said, for the short time I looked on there, that was just the impression that I got.
    DKK wrote: »
    ZacD likes it rough.

That's why I keep comin' back.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    That's if you even get any criticism...

This is my sole complaint about GA. There's some incredible art and some incredibly talented artists there, but it's just a big clique and that's what I don't like about it.

Here at PC, it doesn't usually matter what your post count is, or your 'rep' on the forum... you're gonna get some crit either way, be it appreciation, or be it completely getting your work torn apart. People are willing to offer constructive comments on here, as well as compliments where they're deserved.

I find on GA that you only get a decent amount of feedback (read:any at all) if you're part of the 'GA Crew'.

The same group of maybe 10-20 people comment in every thread and just C&C each others work.

It's not just bad work either, I've seen some pretty decent stuff posted and just get ignored, no compliments, no crits, nothing.

And I guess while GA is a fine place to lurk if you wanna see some good art and get some crit 'from the sidelines' if you will, it's just not welcoming enough to new users be classed as as good a community as PC in my opinion.

I totally agree every post/thread i've made there gets ignored, unless you're a big shot no one cares about your work/posts. I also feel that if it isn't a character your showing ppl care even less, its very elitist and closed off. That was the first 3d/game art forum I joined but then I found out about polycount
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There definitely seems to be a formula in place there,

Post Count /10 = % Likelihood of reply
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I like you'er thread, keep up the good wokr
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Oh come on, KP, he's just trying to bring it down to a level that Americans can easily understand ;)

(I'm Swedish, but I'm stealing the Englishpeople's jobs, so the least I can do is stick up for them.. :P)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get KP's joke...

Would someone please care to explain.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    s0id3 wrote: »
    I totally agree every post/thread i've made there gets ignored, unless you're a big shot no one cares about your work/posts.

Really? That's how I would describe PC...not that it matters really. Both forums are good and I enjoy being on both. I guess you shouldn't take it personally if someone doesn't comment on your stuff, it's probably random when it does and doesn't happen :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I typically give up on a thread if the person repeatedly ignores advice and some people just build a reputation of not listening.

There's alot of new people posting and getting great advice on Polycount. I can't really speak for CG Chat because I'm a one forum kind of guy.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that can be frustrating, I agree, I'd do the same.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycount has always been at war with game artisans. always.....always...forever

1984.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Im a frequenter on both forums but am slowly getting pulled into the green :D the sheer talent on here is amazing and the general discussion threads always suck me in. But I think its just coincidence that freds changing it up a bit, Hes just finished the GA Lounge and hopefully is hard at work sorting out last years Unearthly Challenge!!!!!!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like you'er thread, keep up the good wokr

GET A JERB!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    haha. This thread is silly. Stop talking about GA like they are dickbags. You are basically just ranting about another forum having people that...do exactly what you are doing. Congrats. If you do not like it, do not post there? I personally only post on PC because my attention span is that of a cracked out squirrel. I can't focus on so much posts! Ahhhh. I love you all, though. Except KP. He actually IS an asshole. True story!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife right?

Lol Alanis Morissette represent
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    stoofoo wrote: »
    haha. This thread is silly. Stop talking about GA like they are dickbags. You are basically just ranting about another forum having people that...do exactly what you are doing. Congrats. If you do not like it, do not post there? I personally only post on PC because my attention span is that of a cracked out squirrel. I can't focus on so much posts! Ahhhh. I love you all, though. Except KP. He actually IS an asshole. True story!

but we have a better class of dickbags
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Polycount has the cooler logo.

There! I said it!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ You guys are right, we should just shut down GA for good. How dare another site help artists like me improve. They're not doing it right! Don't they realise PC is the epitome of excellence and all other communities are pointless and inferior?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Marine wrote: »
    but we have a better class of dickbags

lolz. But you cant beat the GA clan in it :)

On the serious note. I havent been to the GA site nor I've known the site or anything.

PC is something more than just learning of artistry, create, sculpt, present. It is even more than just connection between the game industry and the artist personnel.

Its a friendly domain also. People who have a passion of learning would come here and get to know other people and make friends and watch for inspiration. (ya GA have that inspiration part also) and here on PC you can get better crits, massive crits and the step wize statement that follows after the crit to direct you to the right direction to get the work done.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ You guys are right, we should just shut down GA for good. How dare another site help artists like me improve. They're not doing it right! Don't they realise PC is the epitome of excellence and all other communities are pointless and inferior?

read the thread pls
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    read the thread pls

~ google sarcasm plz
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I know how you feel, bubba.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    polycount is my homepage.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    boyluya wrote: »
    polycount is my homepage.

Clearly my good sir, you woke me up from the dead (pulling out a nightshift)

Thanks!! :D

EDIT: This thread should be re-titled from "what an ironic timing" to "Discussion of the irony." <.<
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    .. so I'm late to this party, but it always surprises me how people love to go on about the "misuse of the word irony" without realizing that it isn't a singular concept.
    You have verbal irony, dramatic irony, and situational irony.
    wikipedia wrote:
    * Verbal irony is a disparity of expression and intention: when a speaker says one thing but means another, or when a literal meaning is contrary to its intended effect. An acute example of this would be sarcasm.
    * Dramatic irony is a disparity of expression and awareness: when words and actions possess a significance that the listener or audience understands, but the speaker or character does not.
    * Situational irony is the disparity of intention and result: when the result of an action is contrary to the desired or expected effect. Likewise, cosmic irony is disparity between human desires and the harsh realities of the outside world (or the whims of the gods). By some definitions, situational irony and cosmic irony are not irony at all.

That said the thread title.. however non-descriptive.. could be correct as a case of situational irony, especially as the update to GA is not related to the forthcoming update to PC, despite the increasing reality of inter-forum rivalry.

Also, that rivalry has ceased to be made up and an in-joke like it was in earlier years. Enough new blood who don't know the deeper history have come to each forum thanks to the success of the Dominance Wars, and to them the rivalry is real enough.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    bottom line : kids are stupid!
    Valias : I agree! There's a lot to it. However I wouldn't qualify this as situational irony, because in a way there is no 'catch' in this situation. I guess GA going down unexpectedly right before the announcement of the DW winners could be considered as such ; but two forums closing doors temporarily at the same time is more like ... coincidence? Its not as if one is affected by the other...

Interesting stuff! Yay for proper use of words!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's interesting you posted that Valias, as I had never properly read into the meaning of irony.

Now I'm not gonna say I was right or wrong to use it in that sense for the thread title (probably an incorrect use) but I thought there must be various meanings.

So often have I seen/heard people say that the word ironic is being misused, but I always thought surely that many people can't be wrong. In fact, in my whole life, I've heard far more people use the term ironic when referring to a; let's call it 'The Alanis Morissette Situation'... where something is coincidental in the unfortunate sense. In fact, in my 25 years I guess I've only ever used it in that sense.

Regarding my OP, of course I wasn't actually suggesting that GA were thinking 'quick lets update the site because PC are talking about updating theirs'... and as was mentioned earlier, I probably should have just titled it 'GA updating website'.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ google sarcasm plz

Lose the rather 'festive' pink curly thing plz :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SIMPSONS DID IT!

angry-mob.jpg

Lies and slander! I see no pitchforks!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, they frickin' love us at Game Artisans.

Hell they recently gave Progg a trophy for the work he did in the bait shop thread!
    Progg wrote: »
    Picked up a award_GA.gif today for the night shot of the baitshop... very cool! First one! :P

And i'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that just days prior Adam went off on how uniquely polycount that entire thread was ;)

Bwahahaha! They do have pretty unique timing over there, looks at unearthly challenge date again :D

But don't mind me, just a noob stirring up controversy.