Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Fishing Bait Shop

Replies

• Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    looking better !
    i'm not sure how you're rendering this but, i would suggest to add some bounce light.
    Because the you should be able to see the details on the side of the boat facing the camera. Or maybe i need to calibrate my monitor.... :(
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i would also suggest adding some normals to the water, just so it isn't completely smooth
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I finally realized what is throwing me off of this piece. I love the style and look, but there are two things really killing it for me.

1. Lack of color/contrast in the textures on the central focus of the piece aka the actual bait shop. The scene is SO gray/light brown it's really making the excellent style and modeling look dull, unintersting and flat. Take for instance the wooden planks on the dock. Go back into that and work the textures a little more to make them pop.

Your tree looks so much more vibrant and detailed than everything else.

2. Background fog... again this has more to do with the color/contrast in your focus. But since everything is kind of a dull grayish/brown it all kinda blends together. The darker green background that vig did in the paintover made everything pop much better. I get that it's a swamp and should be "foggy" but I think the background needs to be much darker. Really let that light shine and create a point of interest.

You're getting close push this a little more and it'll be really solid! Just want to reiterate, I love it, but it could be really awesome if you took it to the next step.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    vcortis wrote: »
    I finally realized what is throwing me off of this piece. I love the style and look, but there are two things really killing it for me.

1. Lack of color/contrast in the textures on the central focus of the piece aka the actual bait shop. The scene is SO gray/light brown it's really making the excellent style and modeling look dull, unintersting and flat. Take for instance the wooden planks on the dock. Go back into that and work the textures a little more to make them pop.

Your tree looks so much more vibrant and detailed than everything else.

2. Background fog... again this has more to do with the color/contrast in your focus. But since everything is kind of a dull grayish/brown it all kinda blends together. The darker green background that vig did in the paintover made everything pop much better. I get that it's a swamp and should be "foggy" but I think the background needs to be much darker. Really let that light shine and create a point of interest.

You're getting close push this a little more and it'll be really solid! Just want to reiterate, I love it, but it could be really awesome if you took it to the next step.

Thanks for the crits. The background fog isn't permanent it is just there until I get time to paint a backdrop.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    lol I can't believe you got three paintovers. Polycount is awesome. You're gonna get that art job you want dude. Keep at it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yea great improvements! I'm digging the texture on the trees, looks a lot more painterly. Is it bump mapped?
    I also like the added greenery, nice touches.

I like the angled light source, I also like the idea of playing around with alternate times of day or color schemes/moods. Doing a version at night, you could add some glowing swamp gas and some glowing fire flies?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Nice ideas vig. I'll look into do a night scene after I get the background painted in ... could be really cool with particle fireflies.

And no... theres no bump on any of it ... only diffuse maps.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Didn't feel like working on much but I did mess around with a night time version :D Maybe I will keep this eerie fog/tree background for the night scene... and do the matte painting for the day one

baitshop_wip_night.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Just a suggestion for the night seen but that lantern is begging to be lit.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Could try making it a more cool bluish color to make it look more nocturnal that way, also makes it look like it's nestled in the woods. The old Monkey Island had some interesting color schemes for their night time environments.

The green theme you have right now makes it look like it's underwater.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • Timothy_graybill
    like the new lighting. it creates good contrast between the cool colors of the environment and the warm colors of the lights. maybe you should ad another light on tho dock. may add some more interest. I think your trees in the background are a big problem. its taking me out of the piece. I think it is the scale of the small trees in the back. it makes me fell like it goes a long was before there is another tree and it makes it seem barren. Add some more trees the size of the one just to the left of the bait shop and I think that will make the trees feel more dense. and your water defiantly needs something, even if its just a slight noise. my girlfriend saw it and said it looked like concrete
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    very solid atmosphera
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I appreciate the critiques as always. I am probably going to leave the lighting as it is... I looked up a few shots from Monkey Island, some more Frog Princess and other stylized material and I really like the blueish hint. I think changing it from the turquoise color helped, but I still want to keep some of that cool blue. Too desaturated is going to lose the feeling in my opinion.

BTW: updated the water with a bit of bump/noise.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    wow. this is awesome. the lantern was a nice touch. coming along nicely.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The new lighting looks great. Huge improvement
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    The new lighting looks great. Huge improvement

+1 :)
  • sheenashirley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks sweet, you guna add some destruction to the side of the building when the tree goes inside it?

i also feel you should angle the planks on the dock jsut to add a bit more variation and character

Plumbing service
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Nice but SasoChicken is right. Maybe you should color the lightrays to yellow so that there is a hole in the house is in a spotlight of then sun.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    SimonT wrote: »
    Nice but SasoChicken is right. Maybe you should color the lightrays to yellow so that there is a hole in the house is in a spotlight of then sun.

It's suppose to be night :O
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Some people asked for a 1920x1080 ... here she be.

Old_Swamp_Bait_Shop_Night_Shot_by_proggeh.jpg
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my desktop now.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Outstanding job man, the change in lighting was a monumental change and the scene is absolutely amazing to look at. Congrats and fantastic work!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing transformation, truly kicks ass!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Really beautiful!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    :thumbup: This thread is the definition of polycount. :D
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Hehe... Thanks guys!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Could I have a 1600x1200 rendering of night and day for my wallpaper please?

The day time one is not really finished :poly122:. You could just crop the 1080HD one to 1200x675(16:9 ratio) and center it :poly121:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If any 3D game artist ever wonders what Polycount has to offer that the other communities do not, this thread should be the first link they're sent.

Progg - This came out VERY nice. The colours are something I especially love. If it were me, I wouldn't call this finished yet as I think the background could be filled out more; some atmosphere effects could be added to the river, and some swamp critters (croc eyes poking through the water, wombat, etc.) but! I think its pretty damn fantastic right now.

If you are calling this done, then so be it - I'd like to use it in the banner rotation on the new site once we go live. I'll flag this thread on my end to use once we're up and running.

Great job fella.

Everyone else - You guys make the admin team proud when threads like this come together. This is what we strive for on every single WIP post and to see it happen right here was a treat. Feel proud for helping a fellow artist achieve this damn-near-professionallevel of game art.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Also - Can you update your first post to include the final shots when/if they are ready. Thank you!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks adam. I think this goes back to what you were saying about "when to call it done." For me it is not "complete" but it is up to the standard that I would submit to places. On that note I do plan on continuing to add elements to this scene to spice it up, and I enjoy your ideas. I think it has potential to go in many directions, but I wanted to make sure that I atleast had something finished that I could keep in a portfolio and to submit to certain galleries while I continue to explore different ideas with it.

On a side note I would be honored for you to use it on the site... Updated the first post :)
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Progg, I've been following this thread since the very beginning and the outcome is really nice.

One detail I noticed is the trees bark looks a little flat, like if trunk and branches were very smooth. A rough normal map, or even a bump map could help breaking the specular that gives that impression.

I'm with adam, the background needs a little more filling elements, value variation because of shadows projected by other trees or elements in the distance.

To enhance the atmosphere, I'd try to use a less uniform fog effect tweaking its density: fog is more thick near the ground and becomes thinner toward the sky; and its uniformity: fog comes in banks, and rarely is that uniform, think about a 3d noise effect with large scale.

There is another thing that in my eye looks very wrong (sorry, professional bias) the moonlight from the upper left. You used a spotlight, and the ray are noticeably spreading from one point. If it is the light of the moon, rays should appear parallel, like in a directional light. If you want to keep the spot light, I think you should make it much more distant to get rays look right.

By the way, great work!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: This thread is the definition of polycount. :D
    Agreed.
    I think it says more about the artist and where his/her head is at professionally when stuff like this happens. It's not always easy to read critiques or see paint overs but when taken into account for what they are, great things can happen.

I'm really glad you stuck in there Progg, its coming out great.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the critiques Sync, I understand what you are saying about the rays. I plan on continuing to tweak things as I get more comments on it.

Saso: 1600x1200 wallpaper just for you :)http://www.mediafire.com/file/2j3ydudnwmy/sskidmore_baitshop_1600x1200.jpg
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome :D

Good job and gz on being in the banner of the new site :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Picked up a award_GA.gif today for the night shot of the baitshop... very cool! First one! :P
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats man! I've been following this thread since the start, and the night shot is my current desktop background at work. My co-workers have been commenting on it, so you have quite a few fans. :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Dave I really appreciate it !
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on winning the award !!!
    i'm still waiting to win my first from GA :(
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks. Hope I didn't sound rude. Great job on the award, you deserve it.

Nah I don't even remember what you are referring to :P ... I never take any critique as rude... unless it is from adam. :poly142:
  • Moist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moist polycounter lvl 7
    just came across this.. love it.