Home General Discussion

What ironic timing...

Lolz...

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14085

Well I guess since there's no DW this year, they gotta find another way to try and keep up with the Jones's.

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I don't get how this is ironic in any way :/
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably just my increased dislike of GA getting the better of me and it's clearly not really related in anyway.

Just that obviously there's a bit of competition between PC and GA, and there's been a lot of talk recently about the new PC site, and then GA announce they're about to launch their new site.

As I said, not genuinely related, just seems ironic in a comical way. Or not.

Ok I'm going now.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ *sigh*... can't be bothered to type a real response.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    the polycount and GA communities are actually fairly intermixed.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realise that and those that frequent both are generally awesome.

However there are those who only post on GA, a select few of whom I've read post some asshole comments about PC that fired up a bit of nerd rage in me.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, they heard polycount was updating so they immediately started work on their own update.

Because there is serious competition going down here.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Yea...the culture and leadership of each are different, but the forum populations themselves are really intermixed. Most the the 'competition' is generated on the fly to make the forum-wars more fun.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I realise that and those that frequent both are generally awesome.

However there are those who only post on GA, a select few of whom I've read post some asshole comments about PC that fired up a bit of nerd rage in me.

Agreed, but, likewise, there are those that post only on PC, who will blast GA. This thread itself might have been taken solely as a way to stir up anti-GA sentiment, though it seems pretty civil in here. I just think there are some who do take a little too much pride in their virtual spare-time social structures.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm proud that America is exporting the misuse of the word "Ironic" to the rest of the world via the interwebz
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I have never felt any anti GA sentiments from the regulars here. Nor have i seen any anti-PC from the respectable GA members.

Its probably stemming from the pretenders and new members who wish to belong among the vets.

Those who stir up controversy seldom have anything meaningful to contribute nor have a significant artistic presence on either board so I wouldnt take it too close to heart CreationTwentyTwo
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm proud that America is exporting the misuse of the word "Ironic" to the rest of the world via the interwebz

I know right, I knew it was a dumb use of the word... I just couldn't find the correct one.

I do know the meaning of ironic...

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife right?

Seriously though... my bad, it was an incorrect usage.

And apologies for the seemingly blatant attempt to stir up some unnecessary competition. Not intentional, I just thought it was... [insert correct word here].

In all honesty it's exciting that two of the best game art communities are getting overhauled around the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing both.

PC more though obviously :D
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    SupRore wrote: »
    yeah, they heard polycount was updating so they immediately started work on their own update.

Because there is serious competition going down here.
    OMG I knew it!!! Quick, let's counter them with Polycount 13.0!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    lovemn.jpg

For always and for ever!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Usually about this time of year the seemingly unfriendly PC vs GA thread pops up because of the Dom War, but essentially the whole 'feud' thing is imaginary. (Although the description under my Display Name might suggest otherwise...)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    hey now, just because everyone on polycount thinks you're a gheyartisan doesnt mean we have anything against GA guys.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Its coincidental, not ironic. And even then, its still no reason to bring it up the way you did.

A better tone would be a "hey Game Artisans are updating their site too; check it out" kind of thread. But since theres nothing to check out right now, its probably best to wait until it actually arrives.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    they should go back to being cgchat
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    lovemn.jpg

For always and for ever!

they are fat!
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Game artisans (and cgchat previously) is pretty cool. Lots of great artists there too and i have seen some people from here in their forums.

People get wider exposure, or they want to get more updates and points of view than what being "faithful" in one community\forum can offer. Not to mention possible bias due to that so it makes perfect sense. Updating and spring cleaning is something a lot of communities and organizations are doing lately and some really need it too!

Sounds good to me :)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    lovemn.jpg

For always and for ever!

no.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    REMII!!!!!!!!

Where's rens when I need him the most... BACK ME UP BUDDY!
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that picture describes it pretty well.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah who does that Fred guy think he is! He hears Polycount is releasing a new and improved version and he tries to ruin our parade! The nerve. If like half of us didn't post on both sites and check out the great work there I would be seriously ape shit!

I'm not sure why he needs to shut down GA and update though, GA is pretty awesome already.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
  • Justin Meisse
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You just had to put your nose where it doesn't belong Creationtwentytwo. You just had to keep asking questions, pressing us and looking for answers that need not be told. We ARE NOT going to let one person bring down GameArtisans.

We have ways to deal with people like you. Never mess with the Guild.
    The_Guild_Of_Calamitous_Intent_by_venturebros.jpg
  • jimin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am with you Never mess with GameArtisans,

GameArtisans for ever!!

lol
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    JUSTIN! i was totally waiting for you to post that! :P
    <3
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy for GA. I hope it gets a new organization scheme. I always get lost over there for some reason... kind of makes me not want to post or read posts.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I'm happy for GA. I hope it gets a new organization scheme. I always get lost over there for some reason... kind of makes me not want to post or read posts.

Same. I've been over there a few times, but for whatever reason it's hard to figure out where to start. Looks like they have some really talented people though, oh my god.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    eh, at least we got them beat on forum activity, That place is a ghost town at times but i guess it's partly because we're a bunch of spamming assholes and PC has been around longer.

And zacd.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I liked GA because they had a lot of comps, but these days all of their comps have these insanely high polycounts and texture maps, its no fun anymore :(

Somehow the art other artists post there isnt as inspiring or interesting as the art that is posted on polycount(except for the stuff they showcase)... just look at these results from one of their comps: http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_painting_25.html Its all kind of 'meh' with a few exceptions.

Curious to their plans though, weren't they going to open up some sort of outsourcing studio or something?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife right?

nothing in this song is ironic. it should be called Unfortunate.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    DKK wrote: »
    OH NO RUN Creation Twentytwo RUN! I Intercepted this communique between high ranking Game Artisan Party members.
    DAMN IT!!

Note to self: apparently EVERYONE can get internets...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Yep. Long time coming.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Curious to their plans though, weren't they going to open up some sort of outsourcing studio or something?
    Don't know about outsourcing, but they are opening some kind of GA HQ gallery thingie, apparently, with some membership schemes, probably to pay for it all. It's great if you're in Montreal, right? I just don't see the benefit for the rest of us around the world. Their website is turning into a terrible mess of a place, and they are focusing on opening a real life, physical art gallery HQ in Montreal. Pretty much why I'm not going there anymore.. :shifty:

Adam, et al, if you do something like this you'll officially be piles of fuckturds :poly124:
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    REMII!!!!!!!!

Where's rens when I need him the most... BACK ME UP BUDDY!

1260680080126.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    irony.jpg

lol!!!! And God you people've been running over creationtwentytwo just because he used the word ironic to explain GA is suddonly upgrading right when PC is...

I'd say both sites provide pretty much the samething and serve the greatest purpose on the internet, its not "mine is bigger than yours" type of issue here. :)

Oh wait. I just killed the thread!! O.O
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    my polys are better than your polys
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    East wrote: »
    Don't know about outsourcing, but they are opening some kind of GA HQ gallery thingie, apparently, with some membership schemes, probably to pay for it all. It's great if you're in Montreal, right? I just don't see the benefit for the rest of us around the world. Their website is turning into a terrible mess of a place, and they are focusing on opening a real life, physical art gallery HQ in Montreal. Pretty much why I'm not going there anymore.. :shifty:

Adam, et al, if you do something like this you'll officially be piles of fuckturds :poly124:

WTF? No offense to them but that seems to make no sense? I thought it was a delayed april fools joke :S

What the hell is "ability to use high speed internet" Do they make you pay to have the site load faster? Or do you go sit in their gallery and use their internet? ...very strange ideas
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I think its a great idea seeing fred doing stuff like this and make it actually happen unlike most of cooperative projects etc . This should be looked upon with admiration and respect. At least i do.

Also : polycount = message board
    game artisans = message board

Its not a way of life.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Johny wrote: »
    I think its a great idea seeing fred doing stuff like this and make it actually happen unlike most of cooperative projects etc . This should be looked upon with admiration and respect. At least i do.

Also : polycount = message board
    game artisans = message board

Its not a way of life.
    I think that's what makes this funny. They are both just message boards for artist interested in gaming and game art.

I guess people look at them more like factions/gangs due to dominance war, but eh. Mostly the banter I've seen that comes from DW is all playful.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Of course it should be respected for what it is, a pretty impressive undertaking, and I do wish Fred and the rest all the best with it. It's just not something I see myself being part of, especially considering I'm in the UK. I'm sure there's long term plans to expand this to other places around the world, but I'm very content with keeping it all virtual.

If the membership was to make a kick-ass online community for game artists, with quality video tutorials, mentorships, etc, I'd be the first one to line up with money in hand. Right now it seems like a step backwards, something that would only benefit a select few and divide the community.

But yeah, it sure does looks pretty, I'm not denying that.
  • FredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredH polycounter lvl 18
    But, I love polycount. I'd never do anything to harm the big P's... or would I? biggrin.gif <-- GA smilies rule

Nah, GA just needed a little spring cleaning. Site's a big mess and everything. I know Polycount said they were updating theirs, but it's been going on for ages now. If both get released at the same time, blame the fresh air of spring. Makes us do crazy things.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I brought my pitchfork and torch anyway :D
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Snefer wrote: »
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I brought my pitchfork and torch anyway :D

SIMPSONS DID IT!

angry-mob.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minute on GA, I've probably only looked at 1 or 2 threads, but that place seemed to much like deviant art for me. The criticism is way too nice and not very constructive.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minute on GA, I've probably only looked at 1 or 2 threads, but they place seemed to much like deviant art for me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIbFqhTgHw[/ame]
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    LOL, gotta love the Gerst :D

I find the crits over at GA to be pretty good at times. If you want to see some really blatant plain asslicking you should have a look at www.zbrushcentral.com and look at the muppets commenting there. I'm not saying the art sometimes isn't amazing there, but I'm sure people would wet their pants over pretty much anything as long as it's A) on the top row, and/or B) looks complicated enough for them not to understand what the fuck is going on, and assume it's amazing because it's TOP ROW.

Phew.

I'm glad you guys don't hear me rant about this at work when I'm browsing that place.