Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    actually it would make him harder to headshot, cause unless you get inside one of the glass lens the bullets would just bounce right off...
    Rhinokey wrote: »

skudz i like the slash hat, but think it woulda looked better on a thinner skinnier player like the sniper or spy/ more of a slash look
    i tend to notice for the main part ppl are like
    "fuck the demo man he aint gettin poop"

the Slash hat could really work on anybody (in theory), Heavy's just my favourite and the only one I've brought into maya so far
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're saying that like it's a bad thing.
  • Mark Dygert
    The hitbox for the head stays the same size regardless of the hat, some hats might make it harder to find but something tells me snipers wouldn't have too much trouble.
  • hjd_uk
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    DKK wrote: »
    Right, Sorry I didn't mean the Hit Detection, But in terms of obscuring the head, But yeah regardless I'm submitting it. I just don't feel very confident about it anymore, It's like 3 times their recommended poly budget for hats so even so It's probably got a low chance of making it, either way I've decided to call it done, I really like how it came out. This was super fun, I cant wait to turn out some more.

bigdaddy.png

1. get rid of bolts and just make them texture. In your texture it looks like you have it done already, but your wireframe shows a bunch of bolts. how many polys does one have?
    2. make the windows less round. tf2 stuff has a hint of low poly in them.
    3. make the bars in front of the glass windows like 3-4 sided.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    oobersli wrote: »
    1. get rid of bolts and just make them texture. In your texture it looks like you have it done already, but your wireframe shows a bunch of bolts. how many polys does one have?
    2. make the windows less round. tf2 stuff has a hint of low poly in them.
    3. make the bars in front of the glass windows like 3-4 sided.

Yeah, It's way too high poly for a hat. Looks great though. I would change the name... I doubt it would get accepted if it was based on another IP.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i suggested that earlier progg about the name. but ya, the bolts would be a quick place to cut a lotta polys and never be noticable. and lookin at the unwrap,, did you unique wrap each bolt? and why on earth would you do that?

the cluster of bolts take up nearly as much room as one half of the whole helm.

what is that bit in the upper left of the uv sheet? withthe green around it?

looks good tho, but could be highly optimized
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Blah blah blah where's Gordon Freeman? Did you find his model file(s) ?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    i think he unwrapped the bolts all at once as a strip, but yeah just use a texture.
    Love the name

on a side note- DKK, i do my initials exactly the same but with a slightly larger K shape. not important but i thought it was weird.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Still way too saturated and too reddish
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    somebody needs to make an afro for the demo man
  • Monkeez
    DKK wrote: »
    so right now its 800 polys(not tris), and a 256. Which is what valve specifies( im sure you guys already know that).
    Usually when someone says polys don't they mean tris?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sometimes they mean tris sometimes they mean quads sometimes they mean polys
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    With regards to poly count, it's worth noting that the camera beard has over 4000 tris (nearly half as many the Medic, and presumably the rest of the characters). They do say aim for 800 polys on the site, but you've probably got a little lee way.
  • FirstKeeper
    Ololo! Amaizing stuff!
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    there a blu version for the other team dkk? i know this is technicaly orange an not red, but may be close enough to counfuse when playing the game at a distance,,

do any of thehats use team colors that valve now uses?
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    and adam i believe my freeman models are safe maybe once i get a job i'll work on him some more, its not a piece i'm all that fueled to do for my foliio since its not in my field as enviro, i had an awesome and well respected member of the comunity volunteer to take him off my hands and finish him up,, and i may take him up on that offer if it does not look like i will get a chance to work on it soonish
  • Disco Stu
    Anybody else having problems with the textures no alligning on the models and being
    absolutly deplaced on some spots?
    The fbx with selections lets me apply the head textures flawlessly but the body maps dont fit.
  • hjd_uk
    Yeah, it looks like there is some creative wrapping going on to conserve texture space, seems the exporter has automatically normalaised the UVs so that offset is removed. You will have to manually reposition the UVs horizontally to match the texture.
  • hjd_uk
    I assume Valve mean triangles when they say 800poly limit.
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    square - yes dumb, stay w/ circular :)
    oh- and i know it's a low res texture for submission - but you could still get some details for the 'bolts' using the normal map, now that your not depicting them using geometry... using a simple greyscale overlay and normal-map filter it (say a 4x4pxl circle in pshop).
    otherwise good work..
  • hjd_uk
    There is a colour guide on the submission page as well.

Changed tack on my last idea: Current Wip

snap3dn.jpg
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    DKK, part of me thinks you're missing a perfect opportunity for team colored paint on the helmet. The details are nice and i dig the brass - just think you need to incorporate the fact that there are red and blue teams into the helmet - and work the hues more towards that. Right now, it feels out of place because the warm tone does not really match the red, nor the blue - and will be difficult to sell on either of them to make it easy to differentiate the teams.

Its a cool idea, just think you need to think about the colors of the game/teams and push them more into the piece.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Colour schemes.
    tips_palette.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    not only that but that helmet still has a crazy mmount of wasted uvw space, and since you mapped assimetrically , you should have assimetric detail , wich....you dont lol. also why detach those screws etc from the model to a separate uvw sheet ? it looks cool , be sure to take care of team stuff as well :P
  • hjd_uk
    Just submitted my 1st entry:
    pyrohat.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    DKK - Just make the Helmet Red & Blu colours instead of going for 100% realistic tones?
  • 16bit
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Has anyone noticed the large amount of hats that were selected were from this thread? I should have shown my engineer welders mask to get critiques on it :(
  • DnS
    Grats Progg! Looks like the hound dog made it in.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3618&p=1

Congrats to any others who had their art accepted too, I haven't seen a list of the new stuff yet.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    DnS wrote: »
    Grats Progg! Looks like the hound dog made it in.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3618&p=1

Congrats to any others who had their art accepted too, I haven't seen a list of the new stuff yet.

Thanks :) Yeah a bunch of polycounters made it in. It was pretty hilarious running around in game with my hair yesterday everyone was like "WTF... why is your hair sparkly?!?!?!" I had to explain like 400 time that I made it... People were like "you crafted ? ... " ..sigh. No I made the real model/texture. :(
  • ScudzAlmighty
    k, this updates about 2 months late but i just can't figure out how to get the hair looking right with tf2's art style
    KEDSlashHat_03.jpg

basically just using a variation on the normal and spec maps to get the main hair shape to pop-out

and to those of you who've made it in the game official, you guys fucking rock :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    k, this updates about 2 months late but i just can't figure out how to get the hair looking right with tf2's art style
    KEDSlashHat_03.jpg

basically just using a variation on the normal and spec maps to get the main hair shape to pop-out

and to those of you who've made it in the game official, you guys fucking rock :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I submitted a normal map and an opac. map for the elvis get up and they didn't use either... only the diffuse. Just something to keep in mind on the hats.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    hmmm, good to know, i think the diffuse is drowning out a lot of the normals as it is so definatley good to know, thanks

here's without the hair as well:

KEDSlashHat_04.jpg

and flat shaded
    KEDSlashHat_05.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It looks nice but I'm not sure they'd use it with the Polycount things all over it.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Some awesome entries- props to all those that got included in the update! :thumbup:

How closed did those that entered stay to the guidelines on polycount/texture space?

Just read the tips page -

Technical Info

* Keep the polycount similar to what's already in the game. Try to keep hats under 800 polygons, and weapons under 8,000.

* Texture sizes should not be larger than 512x512. For hats, 256x256 is usually large enough.

I was thinking about making a toaster hat as a homage to the youtube video posted on the thread of awesomeness.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The Elvis hair I did was 893 tris with 1 256 Diffuse (I didnt D/S/Nm/Op but they only used the Diffuse I believe.)
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    A couple of spy things I have in the works. One knife replacement and one Disguise kit replacement. I might do a sapper too, though I think I should do a hat for another class instead.

Hopefully I can UV and texture these guys today. I'm planning on adding an engraving to the blade of the knife like on the ambassador.:)

SpyStiletto.jpg
    Book.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly don't see the point in making a disguise kit replacement. I don't think they'd ever see a reason to make a replacement for it with a new item. They aren't going to accept model replacements, just models for new items. If these are just personal model replacements then have fun with it I guess.
  • RossC
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the point in making a disguise kit replacement. I don't think they'd ever see a reason to make a replacement for it with a new item. They aren't going to accept model replacements, just models for new items. If these are just personal model replacements then have fun with it I guess.

I don't see why they wouldn't have a different type of disguise kit. It would still be a disguise kit but have some different effect than the normal one (damage < x given/taken doesn't reveal the spy, for example). Most of the weapon replacements are just the same thing with different stats and appearance.

I just had a good idea for an item and I ran with it. I'm going to submit it when it's done, and I'll let Valve decide if they like it or not.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually thinking of new spy kits while playing earlier and I did actually get a few good ideas that I couldn't think of while reading the forums. I still think it would be rare to have Valve add a new one, but if you have a good idea then why not.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Bit of an update. Started texturing it. The design on the blade and normal maps are just a test to see how it would look. I ripped the Ambassador model to get a good idea for how their weapon textures look.

I also got the book rigged up.

Stiletta.jpg
    BookRigged.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    NICE job on the knife! I think that wood grain effect really works and the detailing helps unify it with the ambassador. awesome, now lets see how it is looks in source
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    The knife looks great! The intricate details on the blade are very well done. They definitely look like the Ambassador's texture. I personally don't like the colored wood though. I think some deep and rich type of wood would look better.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The knife looks great! The intricate details on the blade are very well done. They definitely look like the Ambassador's texture. I personally don't like the colored wood though. I think some deep and rich type of wood would look better.

I agree with the wood idea
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice stuff. Epic thread is epic!
    Lovely knife btw.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    EricV: Thanks. Getting it into source is what I'm most worried about, haha. I've never messed around much with source before.

Zipfinator, Progg: Sure, I'll try it out. The idea is that the red team version has the same wood as the ambassador and the blue team isn't left out and get their own team colours. I could try working them in somewhere else though.

Joshflighter: Glad you like it
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Thanks. Getting it into source is what I'm most worried about, haha. I've never messed around much with source before.

Oh boy... You're going to have quite a time with the .qc files then. If you need any help with how to set one up and how to compile your model then I can try to help you. Just post up your questions in here or PM me. I've never compiled a viewmodel before (I'm an environmental artist) but I could help you get it into the engine as a prop_physics or prop_static just to see how it looks. You really don't even need to get it into Source if you commit it. Valve will do that if they choose to use your model.