Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

katerina yonce

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i'd recommend sculpting the leaves and petals. if you havent sculpted before itd also be a good simple sculpt to familiarise with the software
  • katerina yonce
    Raul: I haven't messed with the fire hydrant yet to see what the problem is with the waves..I'm trying to get my props done for Tom's class at the moment (the vase and roses)

RoosterMAP: I agree that it's going to take too long but i'm not sure how to make them in the textures....Could you help me out on explaining how to do that??? Thanks

Harry: I haven't sculpted before and unfortunately i don't have zbrush or anything that i can start practicing :(
  • Clopticon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I often encounter this one too. I wind up hand painting the waves out. This isnt very efficient. Let me know if you find out a better solution to the wave issue.
    so i unwrapped the fire hydrant and here's my normal map. It has a lot of waves so i'm trying to fix that

normal_map.jpg
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your cage in max, usually if you move it as close to your mesh as possible, you can eliminate those waves.
  • katerina yonce
    Clopticon and Rang3r1: That was the first normal i did for the hydrant and i haven't been able to go back and fix it due to my school assignments :(
    I think the problem i'm having that's causing the waves is that i don't have enough geometry on my LP. I will have some time to go back and work on it after this weekend and i'll let you know how it turns out
  • katerina yonce
    i finally finished the rose.. :)

rose2.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    wow you are way better than a guy ngs616 from sketchbook:)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    EFFIN cool rose!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice rose but why are you making a normal mapped detailed rose? it just seems like the kind of object that would be really small on screen and therefore very simple in terms of textures and polys

ah its a class exercise, seems a bit wierd for an excersize :P
  • Clopticon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rang3r1! I will have to pay more attention to my cage. Katerina - I have also noticed that adding additional polys alleviates the problem somewhat. I think that careful cage manipulation and additional polys should work I will have to experiment :)

Are you at the Guildhall??
    Clopticon and Rang3r1: That was the first normal i did for the hydrant and i haven't been able to go back and fix it due to my school assignments :(
    I think the problem i'm having that's causing the waves is that i don't have enough geometry on my LP. I will have some time to go back and work on it after this weekend and i'll let you know how it turns out
  • katerina yonce
    Clopticon wrote: »
    Thanks Rang3r1! I will have to pay more attention to my cage. Katerina - I have also noticed that adding additional polys alleviates the problem somewhat. I think that careful cage manipulation and additional polys should work I will have to experiment :)

Are you at the Guildhall??[/quote

No i'm not at the Guildhall
  • Clopticon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I work with some alums from there - just curious.
    Clopticon wrote: »

Are you at the Guildhall??[/quote

No i'm not at the Guildhall
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Kat, you need to quit being shy and talk a little more.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Ya Kat... if you're not at the Guildhall then where are you?? "No i'm not a the Guildhall" is not good forum etiquette, and this response accomplishes nothing. Elaborate... you're an artist.

Cool rose btw. Looks like you're getting more comfortable.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    haha it's always fun to see girls getting much more replies on polycount ;).

It's great work though :). really weird that you have to do so many assignments and because of that are not really able to finish/polish them...
    keep it up!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Ya Kat... if you're not at the Guildhall then where are you?? "No i'm not a the Guildhall" is not good forum etiquette, and this response accomplishes nothing. Elaborate... you're an artist.

Cool rose btw. Looks like you're getting more comfortable.

There's etiquette, on the internet?

Maybe she doesnt want to tell you because your might stalk her?(which would be the wisest assumption).

Anything she does tell you would be broadcast, to the whole internets, giving out personal information on forums is number 78 on the list of dumb things people do.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    ....ha! Danm phil! Quit stalking kat! lol. :P

The irony here, is that we are all friends locally ( in dallas ) So with that said, we just want kat to be a little bit more open. And not just someone who comes to the forums to get, we also want her to give.

I find it funny how everyone just sides with kat. Wonder if its cuz she is a girl.....doing 3d...i just wonder.
  • katerina yonce
    So i went back on my fire hydrant and added a little more geometry on my lo poly and i am still getting waves. So now i'm not sure what to do to get rid of them..Any suggestions??? Here's what the new normal i did btw....Looks pretty similar to the first one

Cylinder03NormalsMap.jpg
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could post you cage setup, the waves are probably related to that.

Check the last part of this tutorial for an explanation. Ben Mathis

good luck
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    yeaa this last section of Ben Mathis tutorial is probbaly what you need to do.
    Another trick you could use is what i was advised from Ben Apuna in this thread :

http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1060105&postcount=2
    I hope that helps :)
  • katerina yonce
    @ Trappe & disanski: Thank you guys for the links...Unfortunately i'm having issues with 3ds Max and i haven't been able to try out and see if it works. :(
  • katerina yonce
    So i finally got my computer working again and i started on a new project. It's an antique electric fan and i thought it looked really cool and i wanted to give it a try. Here's my reference and what i've done so far which is not much but i still wanted to post it

reference-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    is it done yet? :)

We can go over how to do some of those shapes later on if u'd like. So far tho, it doesnt seem like you have twisted the fans, yet, the base looks right fron the front, but a little flat. Like it needs to be taller. That dimon shaepe shape , not quite there. The proportions are a bit odd.

This is a cool piece, lots of repeating objects all over the place. Very odd looking fan, but i really like it.
  • katerina yonce
    so here's an update on the fan...it's starting to look pretty cool

preview_wire_hp.jpg

preview_nowire_hp.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    looks like it belongs in Bioshock. great job!
  • katerina yonce
    @roosterMAP: Bioshock huh?? I'm flattered. Thank u for the comment. This fan is kicking my butt but it's almost done. I'm gonna post some updates a little later in the day when it's finished. :)
  • katerina yonce
    ok so the fan is almost done. Here's an update. Tell me what u think :)

preview_wire_hp-1.jpg

preview_nowire_hp-1.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Kat. One of your best, I think. The image is dark overall. I think you could show this off a bit more if there were some contrast to pop the model out of the background. Just use a lighter gray shader perhaps.
    -Phil
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The steps in the platform of the reference are a lot less curved, and never taper back out, the platform is a lot smaller then the ref too. The fanblades are a bit off too. They are too round at the ends, and they look wobbly/rubbery as a whole.

I think most of the.. lets call them tubes, seem to be a bit thin/flimsy. I'd make them about 20% thicker. Don't forget to show where things are welded. Front bottom, all horizontal bars(at the front end, rear end is screwed) the supporting wings on the engine house which connects to the rear guard, etc. The cylinder on which the whole thing rests feels a bit thin too, and in the ref it's square/flat at the front.
  • katerina yonce
    @Phillip: Thank u Phil...I forgot to change the shader before i posted...was in a hurry to get to class :)

@Snader: Thanks for your comments. I know i was having a few problems making the shape for that platform and the fan blades but i see what you're saying so i will be sure to go back on that and fix it before i call this piece done. Thanks for noticing the cylinder that's attached to the base is flat in the front. I just saw that. I will be finishing the hp today so i'll be going back and give some more attention to the pieces you mentioned. Again thanks a lot :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    some of your shapes are still looking a bit blubbly. seems like most of your edges are still at 90 degress. make sure that you bevel those edges and add the extra loops to keep things thigth.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Whoa, that's a strange fan yet very cool. Should look awesome when textures are put on. Keep it up, yo! :)
  • katerina yonce
    Hey guys i finally finished the hp on the fan. Check it out! Let me know what u think :)

@Raul: I chamfered the edges like you told me for the back of the fan and the fan blades. They look much better and not so rubbery
    @dang87: That is a very strange cool looking fan for sure and I definitely can't wait to do the textures on it. Check out the finished hp tho
    reference-1.jpg

fan_hp_nowire.jpg
    fan_hp_wire.jpg
    insignia_hp_nowire.jpg
    insignia_hp_wire.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost... your missing the chord that comes out of the base. Cool emblem details!
  • katerina yonce
    Thanks Phillip...I found a pic of a plug and got it done so here it is

fanwithplug_hp.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You done did it! That was fast. Cool prop Kat!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    very nice!! except that ur cord cables look all smashed and skewed. Post up your reference of your cable, no point getting all detailed and half ass the final piece.

the base could also use some tightening on the horizontal loops.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Good job Kat, though as Raul pointed out the cord isn't looking correct. Create a cord and use the pathdeform trick I have showed to have it follow a spline, and come back in a day and look with a fresh eye to find those tiny details you are missing to make this an awesome portfolio piece.

Spark
  • katerina yonce
    Spark & Raul : Thank u for the comments. I went back and redid the cord. I also added some very small details on the switch and the back. I think it looks better now. Check it out let me know what u think :)

finished.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some weld beads would be pretty cool in places that make sense. It's hard to tell in the reference if they are there but I think it would be cool to have some highlights in places where pieces connect to make a flow. right now its apparent a few of the pieces are floated into each other.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    badass textures on that fan. it looks so real! :P
  • katerina yonce
    Hey guys....here's an update on the lp fan and textures. I'm still working on making the textures better and my maps...but here's what i got on the first try :)

textures.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks kind of bland right now but I guess there is not specular map applied? Specular makes all the difference. If you have a specmap applied then it's probably the lighting-setup.

Good start though :) Gonna bookmark this thread, I want to see the progress :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I am liking what you got so far. I think you diffuse still needs some work. Overall everything you painted looks just brown, and if you look at your reference the center of the blades are that goldish color. You painted yours one solid color. This actually goes for everything. There is wear and tear on this model that you haven't painted. Also that gold emblem looks like you just painted it yellow. To make it look like gold you are going to have to take a different approach. You said you were working on making the maps better so maybe these were things you were going to address. I also very much agree with the statement above. The specular map will definately make this thing pop.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    yep, wut jj said.

Got any lp wires? :)
  • katerina yonce
    @ chrisradsby & Jeremiah : I didn't have a specular map applied to the first picture i posted. It was just a quick update with the diffuse and normal. I have worked on the specular and the textures as well and here's a preview of what i've done so far.

@ Raul: Here's the lp wires....enjoy ;)

fan_lp.jpg

textures3.jpg
  • katerina yonce
    Here's my maps as well

maps-2.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting there, I might suggest that you could differentiate the brightnesses in the spec. dust would be dark metal would be light. flat areas may be dull while edges would be lighter.
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like it is coming along quite well, I would try to bake a cleaner and less noisy AO however, I think it is making your diffuse too grainy, as a nice brass/bronze fan would still be smooth, even as an antique.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Its starting to look like something. I would def try to get move values and more gradients in the diffuse map. And also start working that specular a bit. Give the spec more love so it does its justice to the model.

Keep on truckin!