dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Lookin' good, just keep at it! :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    ahhhh its beautiful! I love it!
  • katerina yonce
    So i got a new assignment to make a room environment for school and i decided to do a kitchen. I started on this project a couple of days ago and here's what i got so far. Let me know what u think :)

Untitled-2-1.jpg

and here's a close up on the more detailed objects so far

Untitled-3.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    Kat - Love the fan so far! its really getting there! love your progress with it. The kitchen is lookg great too!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    you are doing pretty good kat! Keep it up!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    nice work on controlled level of detail with the kitchen--especially if it's meant to be played in like a sims-style overhead view as your angle seems to suggest, really any more detail would make it seem difficult or too cluttered. modeling looks nice and clean.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    modeling is great, but I think your mats still need work.
  • katerina yonce
    @ JonathanF, Raul, Gauss,Sirdelita: Thank you very much guys for the comments. Here's an update on the kitchen. I worked on the textures a little bit but it's still not done. Let me know what you think :)

textured.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice but theres some terrible tiling in the some texture that needs to be improved
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Agreed. It's mostly on the walls, but you can also see that the wood on the center island is mirrored.
  • katerina yonce
    @ Shepeiro & Snader: I know the textures look pretty crappy. This was a high poly texturing. I just applied a UVW Map on each object and then i applied the textures/materials on. I haven't mirrored anything but i did notice how bad the tiling looks especially on the walls. It was just quick texturing to turn in for class. I will be doing the lo poly on the kitchen and going back and re-texturing everything from scratch. Thank u for the comments :)
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff, work on those textures and it will turn out great.

Noticed a thing when i flipped through the pages, your normal maps have a lot of gradients on them. This often looks a little wierd when applied into a 3D engine and often result in darker areas and incorrect shading.

Often if the object shades wrong without normal map it will shade wrong with normal map applied. To avoid this divide the object into smoothing groups, use hard edges where needed to get the smoothing right. As long as the UV's are separated where you have hard edges there wont be any problem and the Normal Map will look a lot cleaner and result in a awesome shading :p

Anyways, keep it up!
  • katerina yonce
    Waldo thank u so much for the information. I have a lot of weird stuff going on with the normal going on with the fan. I thought maybe it was the way i did the lp on it but i don't remember if i checked the smoothing groups. So i'll go back and do what you suggest and see how it works out. Thanks a lot :)
  • katerina yonce
    Well I've put a couple of projects on hold as i've started making presentation sheets for all my props so i can put my portfolio together. Here's a couple i've done so far. Let me know what u think

lp_textures.jpg

portcopycopy.jpg
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start, I´d say tone down on the specular on the wood of the barrel and the ao on the pillar.
    The last one might benefit of some more loops and edges in the top segments and there seem to be some artifacts left in some areas.

Keep it up, looks like a good first portfolio.
  • katerina yonce
    hey guys here's 2 more presentation sheets for the grenade and the fan.

lp_textures-2.jpg

fan_beauty-copy2.jpg

@Trappe: Thanks for the feedback. I see what you're saying about the spec on the wood. I will go back and fix it. :)
  • katerina yonce
    well it took me about 12 hours to figure out so to make some cool renders but i finally made it work and so here are my hp presentation sheets that i added to my portfolio. Let me know wut you think :)

Barrel.jpg

Grenade.jpg

Column.jpg

finalsheet.jpg

Fan.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    im glad to see your stuff is comming together! :)
  • katerina yonce
    Hey guys, I just started working on this antique stove that i thought looked really interesting. I still have a lot of work to do on it but here's what i got so far...Let me know wut you think :)

Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    looking good so far! just final details to go! looking pretty sweet
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    what phil said! :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The general shape is a bit too wide/not tall enough. This causes the handle to look too big. The floral decoration look a bit wobbly, and the hinges are connected more rounded IRL, and a bunch of other things also feel too sharp.

The fan turned out nice, as far as I can see. The presentation(s) however are less nice, they're so overly JPEGged they make the fan's texture look almost like pixel art. You should use less high resolution sheets, and higher quality JPEG saving.

I've made a lowrez mockup and a big rez mockup to show the difference. If you put them next to eachother (at the same size, so the highrez one zoomed out) you'll see that the lowrez one looks more crisp. That, and it will actually fit on someone's screen at 100% ;)
  • katerina yonce
    Here's an update on the antique stove

Untitled-1-4.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    the stove is amazing! How did you get the decorative pattern around the edge, if you dont mind explaining?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    some nice modeling. 1 crit I have is that I think the hi poly wireframes are unnessary in your constructions sheets/shots
  • katerina yonce
    SaferDan: Thank u for the comment. I used splines to do all the patterns and small details. Then i applied a bend modifier to the splines to help it curve and bend around the main object.
  • katerina yonce
    EricV: Thanks for the comment :) One question though. You said you think showing wireframes are unnecessary but isn't good to show how your workflow is? You probably know better as i see you have more experience but i was just wondering. Im still working on figuring out how to make my presentation sheets look really good so i would like to get some feedback on that. Thanks a lot
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katerina - just stick with listening to Brett(Spark) when it comes to presentation sheets. we do need a wire or two in both our high poly and low poly sheet... no need for a wire on low poly textured sheet though. It's important for one to see high poly and low poly. people that hide wires on high poly normally have something to hide. At least thats what it implies... as well the same with low poly.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    To show or not to show a high-poly wireframe that is the question. I know guy's who argue both sides.

If looks fine without wires visible, then what's the big deal if i'm hiding something. Can you tell? You won't be able to tell what the 'F' your high-poly wires were doing by the time you finish texturing the low-poly version anyway. Your wasting so much time trying to figure out the flow of quads in the hipoly process and having to spend extra time for low-poly and texture.

On the other side...

Showing the wires in a portfolio piece will tell a future employer how you understand high-poly construction should be. Also, shows that your not lazy or hiding flow weirdness's. Also, your high-poly wires may be a determining factor in the way you approach the low-poly start. If you show your wires you may get feedback on them rather than no feedback. The information you show determines the kind of feedback you get.

Idk... I say if your wires look like a tangled slinky, don't show them. If they look sexy, show them because there sexy.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    To add what phil said.....showing your wires tells that u know wtf is going. That your fast and efficient.

Looks nice kat! really nice! I problably shouldn't say this here, but it seems like yesterday when i showed you how to open max! lol. you have come a long way my friend! Its really exciting to see you grow! Really looking forward to what your gonna do next.

Tho, it wouldnt hurt to kinda show a quick screengrab of your wires. just to kinda show people that your not "hiding" stuff.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idk... I say if your wires look like a tangled slinky, don't show them. If they look sexy, show them because there sexy.

hahahaha... greatness Phillip
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, I said they were unnecessary mainly because its pretty moot imo. The only wires really worth showing are your low poly wires. That will immediately show anyone looking at your work that you know how to be efficient with your modeling and that you arent wasting triangles. If your hi poly model looks fine and dandy (such as no weird smoothing errors, or crimping) then your hi poly wires will represent that, I think that goes without saying. Plus, after about 2 construction sheets, I personally thought to myself, "alright this person 'gets it' I don't need to see a wire for every single prop". The space you use in your construction sheets could be made to be more engaging and dynamic without the constraints of feeling like you always have to prove that your edge flow is correct.

and speaking of edge flow thats another thing I know that has been argued over and debated a lot over here, with people and myself believing that you can create a great looking hi poly with less than perfect/anal modeling. A few tris here and there, and edge loops that dont connect all the way around are fine as long as the end result looks great.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    EricV wrote: »
    t you can create a great looking hi poly with less than perfect/anal modeling. A few tris here and there, and edge loops that dont connect all the way around are fine as long as the end result looks great.

You know what they say, sometimes u gotta break the rules! I guess is all good as long as you are aware of what you are doing. And dont develop bad habits and become sloppy.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul wrote: »
    You know what they say, sometimes u gotta break the rules! I guess is all good as long as you are aware of what you are doing. And dont develop bad habits and become sloppy.

definitely :)
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Your modeling detail is great but, to make them even better bring them into Zbrush and give them some wear and tear. (rust, dents, broken concrete). Also add some more grime to the diffuse to give the final asset more believability.
  • katerina yonce
    Hey guys I'm back :) Been too busy with work lately to get any personal work done....so i got some time this past weekend and i decided to model a chess board and pieces...So far i got my hi poly done so let me know what you think..I'll be working on my lp and textures throughout the week

render_hp1.jpg