Home General Discussion

Halo Reach

Replies

• Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I certainly agree. Even though the trailer is pretty low key and simplistic, there is a lot of attention being paid to the subtle details. Pretty much all the shots are nicely lit and well composed. I still think the characters' faces aren't quite there (they seem to be in that awkward place between properly stylised and realistic) but the overall standard is way above Halo 3.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    The depth in those scenes is fantastic. Nobody does matte paintings and integrates them into the scenery as well as Bungie. The new suit designs are also by far the best they have done.

Not having read the books, the trailer reads to me like there is a team of 6 Spartans. I thought that the whole point of doing a game on Reach was that there were multiple Spartans around back then? I would put my money on the game being 6 player co-op.

I gave ODST a pass (so far) because of new baby, but I think this one will definitely get my Halo fanboy riled up again.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kinds words Kevin. I know everyone's been busting there asses on it so far. I've also been pushing myself alot more so, and will continue to push myself more.

I feel very proud and lucky to be working on it. I know alot of people have been bitching already about it, but whatever.

They can say it looks the same as Halo 3, and I can agree it has the same halo feel, but it's most definitely MUCH better looking than halo 3.

Like Cheez said, there's still a ways to go, so of course things can and will be improved, but so far everyone's been doing a kick ass job. :D
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this goes for all games that ship with some sort of art book as part of a limited edition or w/e, but if you guys decide to ship a mini art book or whatever with the game's LE please include pics of the high poly models, Cheez's high poly elite, arbiter and ODST are so awesome; its seems a shame that the 3d stuff usually gets sidelined by the concept art all the time
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just want to say the music, the music makes me go crazy all over again.
    Ok im gonna stop writing now, else my brain will leave me.
    1260866301795.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    If the books chronicle MC's exploits on Reach, then I doubt the game will retraces those steps.
    Most likely will be doing something to help the Master Chief at one point.

He never made it to the surface of Reach.

He was on the Pillar of Autumn when it jumped into slipspace and ended up on Halo when the rest of the Spartans were on the surface of Reach trying to fight off the Covanent invasion.
    slipsius wrote: »
    spartans never die, they are just missing in action....

makes me think they`re bringing master chief back. he is floating around in space after all....

This is in reference to the fact that Spartans are never marked as KIA, only MIA. It's in an effort to keep morale high.

This game is a prequel Halo, so MC isn't floating in space just yet.

I'm pretty sure Halo 4 or whatever continues that story will take place with MC landing on the Legendary Planet.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Theres a great line in 'Swimming with Shark's in reference to David Lean ( who is dead ) where someone is slapped down hard for referring to him as dead, he's told that we only refer to him as 'unavailable' :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's confusing to think of what spartan class this is. Spartan II's had a class of about 150, while there were at least 1200 Spartan III's.

Jorge is a spartan II - he's #052, while the others are numbered above 200, indicating spartan III class. Problem is, the Spartan III's never fought on Reach (according to the books, the Spartan III program was HIGHLY secret, especially from the Spartan II's and Dr.Halsey, who were stationed on Reach!).

However Jorge seems to recognize this guy, enough to say he didn't think anyone survived Pegasi (where 300 spartan III's got wiped out, destroying a covenant factory. Only 2 known survivors, the LT not being one of them). "lonewolf" was one of the spartan III's on Pegasi, but supposedly died when the factory blew up next to him, so who knows if this is your char.

It seems like Bungie is really going outside the borders of canon on this. Interesting to see how it pans out.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Vassago wrote: »
    It's confusing to think of what spartan class this is. Spartan II's had a class of about 150, while there were at least 1200 Spartan III's.

Jorge is a spartan II - he's #052, while the others are numbered above 200, indicating spartan III class. Problem is, the Spartan III's never fought on Reach (according to the books, the Spartan III program was HIGHLY secret, especially from the Spartan II's and Dr.Halsey, who were stationed on Reach!).

However Jorge seems to recognize this guy, enough to say he didn't think anyone survived Pegasi (where 300 spartan III's got wiped out, destroying a covenant factory. Only 2 known survivors, the LT not being one of them). "lonewolf" was one of the spartan III's on Pegasi, but supposedly died when the factory blew up next to him, so who knows if this is your char.

It seems like Bungie is really going outside the borders of canon on this. Interesting to see how it pans out.

thank you
    My friends have read all of the books and I found it out because well they talk about it all of the time.
    one more thing on top of this
    Spartan II's why the hell are the all customized.
    I mean I know it's an artistic choice but they are screwing up the world that they built. WTF? mate
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget that the SPARTAN II Program also had a second class. They began training them as soon as the SPARTAN II's 'graduated'. What happened with them is unknown though.

Here are some links:

Noble Team:
    http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Noble_Team

Halo Reach game:
    http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_Reach
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

I'm pretty sure Halo 4 or whatever continues that story will take place with MC landing on the Legendary Planet.

Wasn't that planet supposed to be the one from Marathon or something?
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Globecoruscant.jpg
    You mean this?
    I don't think so.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    679px-Awakening.jpg

manly man.

but it's resonable to assume that they could actually customize their exoskeletons (as in add ons), as they all did have quite some abilities that made them use some different configurations, as seen in reach the game

masterchief wasn't good at anything though, he was just lucky!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It looks like it, but it's not it.

There's a Marathon logo on it, but then again, a whole lot of things in Halo have a Marathon logo on it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget that the SPARTAN II Program also had a second class. They began training them as soon as the SPARTAN II's 'graduated'. What happened with them is unknown though.

Strange. With the cost of each Spartan unit and the rate of genetic failure for them, it's strange that another program was run (especially if "Kat" is a Spartan II, with her number being #320, that's pretty high).

This new LT is most certainly a spartan III though. There wasn't a single Spartan II on Pegasi (Kurt was on Onyx, training other Spartans), so when Jorge (1st class Spartan II) mentions that he thought no one survived Pegasi Delta, he had to of been talking about a Spartan III.

Problem with this is, there were only 2 survivors on Pegasi Delta - Tom and Lucy. It's a bit silly to assume that some 3rd stranded spartan survived the massive refinery explosion, then somehow got past any of the remaining covenant armada that was stationed around Pegasi. It seems like this might be the case, however.

The spartan III's were all around 12yrs old when they attacked Pegasi Delta. The battle on Reach was 7yrs later, making them 19yrs old, which looks fitting for the LT's height/build. I'm still betting this guy is a spartan III - I'm just wondering how they're going to fudge the canon to adapt the to this.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strange. With the cost of each Spartan unit and the rate of genetic failure for them, it's strange that another program was run (especially if "Kat" is a Spartan II, with her number being #320, that's pretty high).

This new LT is most certainly a spartan III though. There wasn't a single Spartan II on Pegasi (Kurt was on Onyx, training other Spartans), so when Jorge (1st class Spartan II) mentions that he thought no one survived Pegasi Delta, he had to of been talking about a Spartan III.

Problem with this is, there were only 2 survivors on Pegasi Delta - Tom and Lucy. It's a bit silly to assume that some 3rd stranded spartan survived the massive refinery explosion, then somehow got past any of the remaining covenant armada that was stationed around Pegasi. It seems like this might be the case, however.

The spartan III's were all around 12yrs old when they attacked Pegasi Delta. The battle on Reach was 7yrs later, making them 19yrs old, which looks fitting for the LT's height/build. I'm still betting this guy is a spartan III - I'm just wondering how they're going to fudge the canon to adapt the to this.

I seriously doubt 343 will fudge the canon. That's why they exist in the first place.

If anything, you probably play as a Spartan III that has incredible luck like MC.

I haven't got that far in the books just yet though. I just finished the original 3 books.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    It's a bit silly to assume that some 3rd stranded spartan survived the massive refinery explosion.

the trailer totally disproves this. Spartans never die, case solved!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    the trailer totally disproves this. Spartans never die, case solved!

Bah! :)
    That blast wiped out 6 covenant cruisers! I don't think a spartan would survive.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is that in order for the backstory to make sense to people who haven't read the books they won't do anything too outlanish. As such i think that you play as a Spartan III that was rescued by ONI from Pegasi (unbeknown to anyone else), and was to look MIA like Kurt was (hence the MIA reference). As a result you character did a bunch of lone wolf black ops stuff in complete secrecy (the secret ONI file Carter references).

With this theory, the opening cutscene would be super long like Halo 2 where you get rescued by ONI from Pegasi, then get informed that you know work as a solo unit for ONI, then when Reach comes under attack, you are sent to the planet to rendezvous with a group of Spartans with you mission being to destroy Forerunner technology on the planet.

Maybe we'll find out on Friday since the bnet forums are overloaded with this speculation, but probably not. Eitherway this game seems to have a lot more background story going on than the trilogy so it should be interesting how they tie it all together.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Dippndots wrote: »
    With this theory, the opening cutscene would be super long like Halo 2 where you get rescued by ONI from Pegasi, then get informed that you know work as a solo unit for ONI, then when Reach comes under attack, you are sent to the planet to rendezvous with a group of Spartans with you mission being to destroy Forerunner technology on the planet....

Or it's halo game standard like in halo:ce where you're hinted that humanity is attacked and you jumped to escape and accidently found a ringworld, I dont even think the game told you why cortana jumped to that location :)

basicly, they'll just keep secret spartan as a secret and save the extra material for books.

He'll be this game faceless masterchief/rookie
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm, brain sparkles with joy, wich ever direction they go in, hope they tell some story!

Stays damn epic
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uta7ujswLUw[/ame]
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ eld - Yeah, but i think there's so much background story from the Halo Universe now that they'll elaborate on your past to some degree, but it wont be super detailed.

or and here's hoping, they tell your story Halo:Landfall style in a series of shorts

and I agree I dont think we'll be seeing this dudes face, but he probably wont be silent
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Masterchief wasn't silent either though :), he was the faceless guy for the gaming masses, but for me he was that red-head I read about in fall of reach, pale from spending so much time in the mjolnir.

halo universe has always been like the old school heroic tales told in a scifi setting.

ah, you've come so far.

3147965.jpg
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I wonder if this new guy will have one liners that are just as awesome as Master Chiefs though lol, he set a pretty high bar
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to have a firefight while the planet is getting glassed.

I loved what little I saw in ODST. This one should hopefully be more epic.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Or the only time they speak is when they grunt from getting hit like in ODST.
    I just want to have a firefight while the planet is getting glassed.
    Warthog/hornet race maybe? Like in the end of halo 1 and 3. Bungie seems to be good at that.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Or the only time they speak is when they grunt from getting hit like in ODST.

Warthog/hornet race maybe? Like in the end of halo 1 and 3. Bungie seems to be good at that.

I hated that escape sequence in halo 3. Sure it makes sense, but I got frustrated with it from falling too many times.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    i am very excited to be working on this game with so many tallented people, already meet like 2 from PC here. its pretty sick
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    All of the assets in the trailer looked great, plus I love how the warthog pulled up just so you could not see how the "helicopter" blades stop. lol. Btw, the hard surface modeling on the armor is spot on. Although, I would like to see a little bit more attention to detail put forth on the character heads. The female is not bad, her ear is very wonky, but the males eyelids look like hell. I don't know if it is the rig, or not, but man, REMODEL THEM, and re texture them. I love what was shown thus far, but I would tell your leads to kick it up a notch and make some killzone 2/crysis qulaity heads.

I LOVES HALO! Got a perfection tattoo to prove it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: »
    I hated that escape sequence in halo 3. Sure it makes sense, but I got frustrated with it from falling too many times.
    No, no it did not! Was i supposed to believe that the whole world was made of those metal grid parts that fall apart with only the weight of the car? That they were not supported by anything? You know just as well as everyone else that it was a cop out! bad bad one at that! They ran out of time, so had to crap out an ending as fast as they could.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'd like to see more of what you guys did in ODST. Most enjoyable campaign experience since halo 1 for me. Character models are looking heaps better.
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IGN recently posted up an article with some new information of the game. God I'm so stoked for it. Now I can see why the guys been saying this will be the biggest game of 2010

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1060968p1.html
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    soon enough just isn't soon enough
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    outside of the crysis armor abilities I'm not sure why I should be excited yet. I mean it's halo, so I'm sure it'll be fun as hell, but there's nothing OMGworthy so far, unless that article decided to omit it.

still, very much looking forward to this one, unlike ODST
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Spug wrote: »
    All of the assets in the trailer looked great, plus I love how the warthog pulled up just so you could not see how the "helicopter" blades stop. lol. Btw, the hard surface modeling on the armor is spot on. Although, I would like to see a little bit more attention to detail put forth on the character heads. The female is not bad, her ear is very wonky, but the males eyelids look like hell. I don't know if it is the rig, or not, but man, REMODEL THEM, and re texture them. I love what was shown thus far, but I would tell your leads to kick it up a notch and make some killzone 2/crysis qulaity heads.

I LOVES HALO! Got a perfection tattoo to prove it.

Glad someone agrees with me.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Bungie have never been good at character faces though..:P
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why they outsourced I guess, lol. I knew all the other info, but didn't know about that, so that was kinda cool to hear.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Entity wrote: »
    Bungie have never been good at character faces though..:P

QFFT!!!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Really really hope the in-game visuals match the trailer. I remember being awed by the Halo 3 debut trailer...then being disappointed when I finally played it.
  • Rens
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The leaked Halo Reach images are now on Bungie's website. Non of the ugly jpeg compression on these ones :D

http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/images.aspx?c=59

also has new concept art which is always a plus.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Sadly, this:

haloreach01262010image14.jpg

Does confirm its just Halo 3... *sad face*
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool to me. Looks like a Halo game. Even updated tech, nicer looking overall. What else do you want?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    This:

ReachCampaign_m30_Sniper.jpg

Confirms this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSqm5Id6Hw0[/ame]

please make some room infront of me, a few meters should suffice, it just grew from the potential!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I see new lighting on the characters (was it in odst? didnt play it.)

I see nice art direction (although the individual assets aren't always up to par.)

I see odium is crazy. (eyeball textures need an upgrade!)
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, the embiggened shots look better. You can see they have some pretty massive open spaces as well, which is probably driving the look of the outdoor stuff. These two look pretty dang nice to me:

ReachCampaign_m10_Env03.jpg
    ReachCampaign_m10_Noble.jpg

also, this looks like the work of officiall badass Jamie Jones:

ReachConcept_m10Pioneer.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's pretty disappointing to see it's the same old Halo, just in a different setting. Sadly, Bungie doesn't exactly have a lot of incentive to innovate, because they know anything Halo branded is a surefire winner, monetarily.

At least the artwork looks great. :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    EWWWWW

Looks like someone needs a lesson in the unwrapping.

reachewww.JPG
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15