Home General Discussion

Halo Reach

Halo Reach, whos getting it ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnbrN0PsYko[/ame]

I'm not sure if I will be getting it Myself, I hope it has something new in terms of gameplay.
the old gameplay is getting a bit repetitive.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    omg they have good cinematic animations!! whooo
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hells yeah ill be buying it *points to avatar*
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Its all ingame but I'm still not sold... Remember Bungie are always smoke and mirrors in these things, like the Halo 3 one that looked stunning, too... :(

I'm glad they seem to have finally sacked the human character artists (or at least trained them, ODST was terrible) but... At the same time... They kinda turned Halo into everything else now. Halo 3's graphical "problem" wasn't the colour, it was nice to see a game have so much. It was the fact the worlds were built in what looked like Quake 2, with low res bland textures stretched over huge blocks of nothing with no real detail, and its hard to see from the one tiny building and large low detail terrain if they have fixed that or not...

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, its a shit load better than Halo 3, for sure, and I'll be checking it out after skipping on ODST! But... Well, I guess I'll wait for a REAL trailer and not some crappy YouTube cam :(
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    It looks awesome, except the first thing you see is that boxy warthog. Its exactly what people like to hate on, the lack of change from previous versions. and they put it right at the beginning of the trailer. pretty stupid. Its still designed as though it should be made of 2000 tri's. grrrr...
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can download a 720p version here

totally agree though, the engine seems to seriously lack texture budget but the models are a lot higher polys so hopefully the engine gets some tweaks, that or they should just export to cryengine 3 and gg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think for a company who have been slagged off since Halo 3 was first shown about how bland the levels are and with no detail at all, showing a trailer set in a huge open space was... Disapointing. You can tell from this pic:

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/vga/Bungie_REACH_1280x720.jpg

Nothing has REALLY changed from Halo 3... Its just they made it darker and droped the saturation. Character models, humans mostly, have gotten a good large upgrade, and I'm glad of that, but the worlds still... Look... Bland...
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the graphics that stood out to me were definately the faces and the battle rifle, whoever thier hard surface artist is, is doing sick work, also the engine seems to handle more/more realistic atmospheric effects.

but seriously whar the TREEZ!!?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Tress look like arse in any engine, lol. I've spent months woking on some and only just got a half decent result, but even thats required our coder to create new tweaks to how foliage is lit... The game could be 100% foliage-less and tbh I would totally understand...
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all engines but cryengine imo lol. oh well, i think they were going for the whole tundra look, but it didnt work out too well. Speaking of awesome places without trees, they could've just used the plains where the Rohirin live in LOTR lol and it would've fit the trailer perfectly with a few minor adjustments
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    insert guy which skull on his helmet... check
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Man, I hate Bungie's trailers! There's nothing there, even. Some space marines chit-chatting and flying away. Someone who's not into Halo will look at that and go "Uhhh... What?"

But I'm getting goosebumps. I hadn't realized how much I've missed Halo since my 360 broke.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The people in halo are looking worse and worse, and so is the skin, the game is starting to look dated.
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The people in halo are looking worse and worse, and so is the skin, the game is starting to look dated.
    You obviously have no idea what your talking about. The characters are always getting better.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »

what.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    agree, the whole trailer looks really good, but the faces are bad ..

but that has nothing to do with the engine..
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I havent followed up with the Halo storyline so I wouldnt want to buy something that I can not understand.

More over, I am not a big fan of Halo. Good luck though.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I havent followed up with the Halo storyline so I wouldnt want to buy something that I can not understand.

its a prequel :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    theres some lovely tech in this trailer, its got great fidelity in the lighting, bloom and flare effects, the particles and atmosphere are also great (although alot will be smoke and mirrors), the grass movement in the wind is also great, the faces are deffinatly not the best ive seen but they are alot better than 3

the sparesness of the worlds i understand, the levels are often very large in comparison to other shooters, with large amounts of characters, props and vehicles, all drawn to a long distance the physics calculations alone will be expensive, keeping the base geometry in-complex helps alot with this.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theres some lovely tech in this trailer, its got great fidelity in the lighting, bloom and flare effects, the particles and atmosphere are also great (although alot will be smoke and mirrors), the grass movement in the wind is also great, the faces are deffinatly not the best ive seen but they are alot better than 3

the sparesness of the worlds i understand, the levels are often very large in comparison to other shooters, with large amounts of characters, props and vehicles, all drawn to a long distance the physics calculations alone will be expensive, keeping the base geometry in-complex helps alot with this.

:D gg
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool!
    AMAZING improvement over Halo3 and ODST faces and facial animations!
    Liking the look of the new armors.

I hope, but doubt, the multiplayer gets a makeover as well, maybe add some elements from Modern Warfare in there. (Might cut down on hostilities online if you can rank up or unlock stuff without having to win the matches.)
    My biggest complaint about Halo3 MP is that the maps all feel like prefab training maps, not lived in, abused warzones. Again, some cues from MW for level design could help.

So will the tag line on this one be: "Start the fight."

Is this the Master Chief?
    The Lone Wolf guy was referred to as Lt. so I'm guessing no? Somehow I don't think he would be demoted...
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else wondering why the FURK Rens hasn't commented on this yet... is he... ok?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    The Lone Wolf guy was referred to as Lt. so I'm guessing no? Somehow I don't think he would be demoted...

prequel ?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens is probably spending the next few days on the bnet boards lol
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    That or his halo erection became too great and he passes out from lack of blood to his brain.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I love the work put into creating believable environments! That's one thing Bungie has been doing a lot better since ODST. They put a lot of work into the backgrounds and I think it adds a ton to the feel of the games!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    That or his halo erection became too great and he passes out from lack of blood to his brain.

I want to believe its this...

but I know in my heart its this...
    Dippndots wrote: »
    Rens is probably spending the next few days on the bnet boards lol
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Looks like bungie has a think was point lighting.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    Looks cool!
    AMAZING improvement over Halo3 and ODST faces and facial animations!
    Liking the look of the new armors.

I hope, but doubt, the multiplayer gets a makeover as well, maybe add some elements from Modern Warfare in there. (Might cut down on hostilities online if you can rank up or unlock stuff without having to win the matches.)
    My biggest complaint about Halo3 MP is that the maps all feel like prefab training maps, not lived in, abused warzones. Again, some cues from MW for level design could help.

So will the tag line on this one be: "Start the fight."

I'm puzzled as to why spartans would have accents, and why the spartans are reffered to as "they" by that group, even though its a saying.

odst?

ps, tagline will be "you're fucked either way" but will be pretty awesome probably, the humans best defended world against what probably was the biggest covenant armada.

oh and finally getting to kill elites again, which we haven't done since halo2!

set your plasmas to GLASS, its going to be a wild ride!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itsgotime.jpg

I've been lurking, did not want to reply to the too cool for school comments.

To those who worked on it, im really excited and you got my respect and love, though you have to share it with some people from the first page, love you guys.

Ps. The god zero was right.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Does the russian chick have a mechanical right arm? it looks like the bottom chunk of it is missing.

She does indeed.

The way I was take accents in SciFi, especially ones involving multiple planets, is that each planet is fairly well settled by a specific ethnicity. Though being taken into Spartan training would most likely nullify an accent, it is a vehicle to show diversity within space.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens wrote: »
    Ps. The god zero was right.

aw I thought I'd be right... oh well its probably better you weren't on bnet, there's some mighty ignant people there
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    She does indeed.

The way I was take accents in SciFi, especially ones involving multiple planets, is that each planet is fairly well settled by a specific ethnicity. Though being taken into Spartan training would most likely nullify an accent, it is a vehicle to show diversity within space.

considering they probably had different accents and colonies they came from, all different places, and being taken at the age of something like 10.
    but considering they're like 40-50 at the point of reach, that's quite some years to wipe out an accent.
    this will be the first time we'll see unmasked and personified spartans though in a halo game if it is so.

I'm like this:

happy-puppy.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    so are you playing as humans or Spartans in this one?
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    Spartans are humans. They are just humans with pimped out armor.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Spoiler: THEY ALL DIE!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Spartans are humans. They are just humans with pimped out armor.

And bone/muscle augmentations.

@Ebagg - damn you! Oh wait, I read the books...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Thegodzero wrote: »

FUCKING LOL! :D
  • eld
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I hope the gameplay actually has antialiasing this time like the trailer does. Halo 3 and ODST were pretty damn rough because the lack of AA.

Everything looks sweet.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »

It looks like you play as ODST.

At least I don't remember anything like this happening in the books that follow the Spartans.

This looks to be after most of the remaining Spartans died while entering the atmosphere. That's why he said he thought they all died.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    spartans never die, they are just missing in action....

makes me think they`re bringing master chief back. he is floating around in space after all....
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ebagg wrote: »
    Spoiler: THEY ALL DIE!

well it was never confirmed about a small group of them but yeah the MAJORITY of them did die

SPOILER ALERT!ONE1
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the books chronicle MC's exploits on Reach, then I doubt the game will retraces those steps.
    Most likely will be doing something to help the Master Chief at one point.

Like I said, the Newbie guy is ranked LT, officer class, higher than MC's NCO rank, if I remember Marine rankings correctly.

Should be cleared up in mid-January. Bungietweets on Twitter said more info coming then.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well reach is the place where they essentially made the spartans, and their traininggrounds, so he grew up there, but if I remember correctly he was only orbital during the battle of reach.

bungie barely ever touched on the books, but made a few steps in that direction, with halo3 and 117 being lucky, spartans never KIA, engineers in ODST and more..

there weren't that many spartans, and the ones that survived the training and augmentation were quite few, and even fewer were at reach in the end, and all were nameable.

so either these are super odst, or just bungie messing with the cannon.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld, is that pic fake... it has to be... either way, that's fucked up....
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLichy wrote: »
    eld, is that pic fake... it has to be... either way, that's fucked up....

its fake lol, im surprised you haven't seen it before, sounds like someone needs to spend more time on the interwebs
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I think this shows that the Bungie art team is really stepping up, theres a lot more fidelity to all the forms, depth to the textures, coordination and balancing of detail levels.

Maybe it's just X-Convict spreading the love? I don't know but I think if folk can get past the urge to troll , they'd see Bungie are upping their game here.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for kind words, Kevin ! We busted our asses off trying to try and crank up the quality of the work as best we can. We still have a ways to go and areas to improve in, obviously, but I think we are getting there.