Home Stickies

[P&P] - What Are You Working On? 2009 Edition!

Replies

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    sawed off double barrel shotgun.

4125279195_e54d235d74_o.jpg

4126046998_b2e6aa2d9f_o.jpg

is there any gun experts out there that can show me how the firing pin looks like when the shogun is opened for reloading? cuz i don no how to model that part. Im thinking of animating it thats y i need to no.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Hi there!

Frustrated not to take part in this year Unearthly Challenge,
    I decided to make my own contest. It has only one entry
    but nevermind.

I'm giving a try to Unity.
    Don't know what are the good points of this editor yet
    for I've just opened it yesterday.

Next step: Put some trees in here and see what
    their shades on the ground could look like.

Erased wip shot (final = #7023)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    bitmap wrote: »
    OMG
    cog_axe.jpg

Looks borderlands-ish, I like how all of the angles are basically the same.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Hello, I just managed (bloody hell) to bake all normal for pieces of armor (11 656 tri). Damn it was crazy but I learned realy much during that process. Hope you like it :) Still some fixes are to be done, but now I need to go sleep because itd 4:00 AM here :p
    2gsr0jn.jpg
    Bigger version:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/npmdxg.jpg
    Cheers :) and ... ZzzzzZzzzZzzzzzzzz
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    bitmap: love ur melee weapons, they are so creative. is this for fun or a mod?
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice bake Konras. The suit is looking pretty sweet so far.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Weird creature mount:

grugtusk.jpg

:)

edit:

sweet bake konras
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    JFletcher wrote: »
    <pic>
    very cool as always

but...as is, doesn't look like it would be able to carry someone past the first marker. Its mounted like a horse, but bipedal....placement of saddle, raise posture? posture seems bending over too far, or its balance is bothersome.

ratios, tusks to hooves + stout tail feel disharmonious. id thicken some and make the tail more delicate i think

ok picture worth 1000 words,,this is what i was trying to say
    4126630623_000a9d4478.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Zoid wrote: »
    very cool as always

but...as is, doesn't look like it would be able to carry someone past the first marker. Its mounted like a horse, but bipedal....placement of saddle, raise posture? posture seems bending over too far, or its balance is bothersome.

10r67he.jpg

Yay for quick mouse drawings.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Whaat....

The....

Fuuuu....

Nice piece either way Fletch, would love to see that Octopus coloured :)
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    luke wrote: »
    a robot im working on for an animation module at uni, portal wep was my inspiration
    3.jpg

Somehow, those yellow cables look wrong at it since you have nearly everything mechanic covered with an encasement.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap: love ur melee weapons, they are so creative. is this for fun or a mod?

it's for this:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64978
  • Dark Shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First_floor.jpg
    Something I worked on in the last two weeks. An Art Test for a company. Was challengeing to meet the 5mb texture limit and still make it look good.
  • arlrex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no see everyone. I see you guys have been up to making awesome stuff as always. :D

Since I cant post a lot of stuff I done... yet, and did not wanted to return empty handed I worked a bit on the mech. Started the 3D of the Axe Guitar and started on the concept for the mech itself.

WIP___Axe_by_arlrex.jpgWIP___Mech_by_arlrex.jpg

Feedback in text or picture is highly appreciated. ^_^
  • arlrex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First_floor.jpg
    Something I worked on in the last two weeks. An Art Test for a company. Was challengeing to meet the 5mb texture limit and still make it look good.

Wow, nice work on this one, Dark. :thumbup:
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I had the face lying around and it suited the classical evil nazi type you know from the movies.

evil_officer_04.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Finally found some time to work on this again :3

Suit.jpg

suitmore2.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warcraft style orc. didnt have a bulky character in my folio, actually first time sculpting one, i know it looks a bit rough, i felt like treating the surface differently than i usually do

proudorc%20copy.jpg
    proudorcbust.jpg

hope ya like im super open to crits, i think ill make gear for him and pose him for the folio.

-Woog
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crateconcept.jpgGoing to have this modeled and textured by tonight hopefully :P For my environment project... Check out WIP environment thread here... http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=67720
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I had the face lying around and it suited the classical evil nazi type you know from the movies.

evil_officer_04.jpg

Now this.... this is dirty!

I love it man!
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    sawed off double barrel shotgun.

4125279195_e54d235d74_o.jpg

4126046998_b2e6aa2d9f_o.jpg

is there any gun experts out there that can show me how the firing pin looks like when the shogun is opened for reloading? cuz i don no how to model that part. Im thinking of animating it thats y i need to no.

Don't bother animating the firing pins. They spring back into the receiver after firing. The player would never see them. You could animate the shell extractor ( see blue on pic below. Ignore the arrows, they where already in the pic. ) As the barrel is tilted down the shell extractor springs up and ejects the spent shells.

stoegerref.jpg

The firing pins in this ref have screws that can be removed to replace the firing pin. The actual firing pin is the center hole and the 3 outer holes are where a special wrench goes to remove the retaining screw.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it kinda looks like crap at some parts :/ But I have to continue on! 3 more weeks left and I have to model all of Naboo! (not all xD)naboocrate.jpg
  • Dark Shadows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you got your work cut out for you. :P Good Luck Titus
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    just a wip of a chest study I did tonight.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ThatDon wrote: »

sweet. love the definition of the muscles :thumbup:
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Great work Don!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Wow ThatDon, those non symmetrical shapes are really nice (maybe even to much non symmtry near belly:p), they looks strong and natural. Texture gave it lots of definition, I wonder how would look clean clay render :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome don

-woog
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13

quicktorso.jpg

did you use my body as reference? ;)

Looks great!
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    20091124185129_00000.jpg
    (lit sphere shading, aka matcap)
    cull region is created by scaling along normals ("push modifier") and rendering that into depthmap, later doing something similar to shadowmapping to kill the fragments around the focus objects

20091122210031_00000.jpg
    without the nicer shading, but using a different culling technique.
    2d circle is generated by transforming all vertices into a small 1x1 rendertarget. Uses MRT and 2 textures to get min/max dimension, which is then used to derive circle radius and center for later culling.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hooray paints.

warorcpainted%20copy.jpg

-Woog
  • kipiripi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kipiripi polycounter lvl 17
    Thatdon:Nicee skin,like it..
    here is a Westernboy for GA.
    YahsiBati.jpg
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice creature Woog! It may need to go
    to the dentist though...

Little update on the autumn env.
    Need to add other trees, bushes
    and may be a big stone in the center
    like we have in Britany.

"We want...a shrubery!"

Erased wip shot (final = #7023)
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So get this, my ref/zapplink image I found on google image that I used for my anatomy study was a freaking 3D render of this guys work. IT's a TRAP!!

Hurray for Study's of Studys...:(
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=57740
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAH well i guess thats a testament to how good the piece is and yours as well.

awesome stuff garaga! the shadows are coming out great.
    love the hat kipiripi!

-woog
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i thought that body looked familiar :P
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I feel totally silly. I'm just happy it was a honest mistake.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    looks real nice garagarape.. hows unity treating ya? .. i was thinking about switching over to that engine from dark places.. but havent seen any reason yet apart from its physics and price ;o
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb, thanks!
    Unity seems easy to familiarize with.
    Not to many weird menus, it is quite logicaly built.
    I don't know it very well though.
    That's why I'm trying to make a scenery with it
    (And also because I failed installing UDK :()
    There's already some things a little bit boring in Unity,
    but may be that's because I don't have the pro edition
    (didn't found how to display "double side" for example).
    What I like about it is its stability. No sudden shut down
    like in Ut edditor.
    Good luck with it if you try it.
  • McMonkeyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I needs the help of the Polyverse! I'm working on a spacial awareness project for my games design course and we're currently in the blocking out and sketching down process. We've been given our poly budget and our dimensions, we've also been told it has to be a research facility of some sort and the level has to basically narrate itself which is all good and well. I've gone for a rebel charged Soviet Russian Biological warfare lab. (Its crazy I know but I thought I'd break the class mould of trying to make something that a Half-Life game has already done) I've gathered up all of my research that I need to bang some sketches out and get designing, I've pottered about the pimping catergory and I've got a few pages of sketches done on my key room but now I come to a huge roadblock in the form of being a stereotypical sadist! I'm putting in a room were the drugs and biological effects are tested and I'm running short on ideas that don't wander off into the catergory of going with the trend in alot of other video games and becomming over the top or unessercerily gory. (I apologise if I've spelt some things wrong) Gore is all good and well but it's a bio-weapons lab I don't exactly feel the need for gore or psychological inflictions such as a first sketch which was basically a bed people were strapped too whilst needles were rammed into them from above. I'm now stuck for ideas on ways to do the testing room that aren't violent and in your face. There will obviously have to be something in your face about it however I'd just rather it was eye catching rather than gruesome. Anybody have any ideas or possible refrences they can guide me towards? Any help appreciated.
  • Huggbees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More from the small game project im doing. Just some stuff from the tavern.
    table_scenecopy.jpg
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    The missing arms and legs didn't give it away, don?
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually thought it was just edited out for artistic/presentation purposes. It's not like I clicked on his zbc thread and saw all the different angles and wip images. I just found a straight on view mixed with a bunch of other male anatomy photos in google.

Anyways, lessons learned, I'm just going to use a mirror from now on :D
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    Anyways, lessons learned, I'm just going to use a mirror from now on :D
    oh come on its fine. i study from photos all the time, its not like its a crutch. and there is plenty of wisdom to learn when you study others work as well.

if you really want to be a pure representational artist blindfold yourself, then learn to sculpt using your sense of touch... that way your eyes cant play "tricks" on you with the whole binocular phenomenon.

Kidding...
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree whole heart-idly, I'm just poking fun at myself for not realizing what I was using as ref was a 3D render. It's just silly and embarrassing is all. :poly136:
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I needs the help of the Polyverse! I'm working on a spacial awareness project for my games design course and we're currently in the blocking out and sketching down process. We've been given our poly budget and our dimensions, we've also been told it has to be a research facility of some sort and the level has to basically narrate itself which is all good and well. I've gone for a rebel charged Soviet Russian Biological warfare lab. (Its crazy I know but I thought I'd break the class mould of trying to make something that a Half-Life game has already done) I've gathered up all of my research that I need to bang some sketches out and get designing, I've pottered about the pimping catergory and I've got a few pages of sketches done on my key room but now I come to a huge roadblock in the form of being a stereotypical sadist! I'm putting in a room were the drugs and biological effects are tested and I'm running short on ideas that don't wander off into the catergory of going with the trend in alot of other video games and becomming over the top or unessercerily gory. (I apologise if I've spelt some things wrong) Gore is all good and well but it's a bio-weapons lab I don't exactly feel the need for gore or psychological inflictions such as a first sketch which was basically a bed people were strapped too whilst needles were rammed into them from above. I'm now stuck for ideas on ways to do the testing room that aren't violent and in your face. There will obviously have to be something in your face about it however I'd just rather it was eye catching rather than gruesome. Anybody have any ideas or possible refrences they can guide me towards? Any help appreciated.

Maybe try doing a Swedish Biological warfare lab? Maybe French? Maybe it's in Jibouti?

You are trying to make something that is not cliche, but by using yet another abandoned Soviet biological warfare lab with compulsory mutants and dead bodies you are being very cliche.

It's a pet peeve, I'm tired of these abandoned labs which are always Soviet which always host numerous immoral gruesome experiments on humans.

Now I know that with the iron curtain and all, for the majority of western people the Soviet land was this out of reach place and they could only fantasize what went on in there (and especially with all the propaganda the fantasies were primarily negative.) So yes, I understand why everyone feels compelled to make these stereotypical soviet labs. But guys, it's been 20 years. It's old. It's boring. Try something new.

For example, I'd love to see an abandoned lab in the middle of France. I don't know French very well, so to me it would be really interesting to see signs in French, writing on walls, maybe even spoken french for extra authenticity.

What about an Indian lab? Japanese lab? A lab somewhere in Africa? An American lab?

Or something more thought out, an American lab somewhere in Poland near the border, where the not-so-good-this-time-around Americans are conducting a super secret bioweapon research in order to fight those pesky commies, but then all hell breaks loose.

Anyways, those are my two cents. If you want to keep your current setting, then I can only say that labs are usually pretty clean and sterile. Think about how you can intimidate the player given an environment that is clean initially but then get's overrun.

As I was writing this I suddenly remembered Portal. It's not a scary game, it's not meant to be scary. But I thought the empty observational rooms and then the empty offices weree pretty eerie. They were clean, but the absence of people and the fact that you have no idea how long it's been empty like this gave it an eerie feeling. (for me at least)

Last but not least, if you don't want to go all gory, think with porta-...erm, think with implications. You don't need explicit arms and legs and eyeballs to make a creepy scene, you can do just fine (and probably better) by implying what happened. You are doing something with bioweapons, and the thing about bioweapons is that they are relatively clean. You don't get blown to pieces (although maybe your insides do) like with explosives, and you don't get torn apart so that your legs are on the other side of the room (although your insides my turn to soup) like a crazy mutant animal would.

Anyways, that's some abstract food for thought.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ThatDon, awesome stuff!!!

Done a bit more work on this...
    ghf.jpgtime for some sleep
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    a friend of mine is doing a live painting in a couple weeks and wanted me to work up something, so, yeah... thought it would be good to get into zb3.5r3... much faster than r2... form brush is really fluid and nice. anyway...

still wip, and the body isn't a real concern as he's only using it as a silhouette and blurring it out in the painting... his focus is more from the chest/neck up, and he hasn't decided what the final view he's gonna use for the live painting, so we're hoping that some printouts of this will be good reference for him to build upon immediate ideas when he does do the live painting... good lord i ramble... sheesh
    live_painting_ref.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to get betterwip1.png

did this for someones bday the other day, quickie cat

15336_1286947174671_1259930809_839906_7077140_n.jpg
This discussion has been closed.