Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stephanie's game props

Replies

• dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Dirigible- Hey, thank you! I'm not sure how you came across my page and if you actually know who I am, but we've actually kinda met before up at UTD. It's nice to see you on here! :D

Yeah I just saw this thread on page 1 and checked it out, didn't even realize I'd met you in real life.
    1309207829802.png
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stephanie polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I just saw this thread on page 1 and checked it out, didn't even realize I'd met you in real life.
    1309207829802.png

Haha yeah Moose would talk about you once in a while, so I'd heard about you and we've probably been in the same rooms and stuff but idk if we were ever really introduced.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stephanie meet dirigible, dirigible, this is stephanie

hUNAo.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That jukebox is crazy awesome. And in Maya too... I applaud your skills.

(I hate Maya)
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you nyx702, I know some people complain about it, but I love maya!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
  • steven.engel.craven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steven.engel.craven polycounter lvl 11
    Your work is getting really good, Steph! :D
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Steven :D
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Great work Stephanie!

Side note:
    From now on I'm just going to expect all vintage stuff when I see a "game prop" thread. LOL
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER- Yeah Maya!

HitmonInfinity - Thank you! Haha I haven't seen too many other "game prop threads". Now I feel like digging through the whole forum for them. I choose vintage objects because they have a lot of intricate shapes. They've helped me master creating shapes quicker as opposed to the usual sci fi corridor stuff that most people choose to do. I guess I might give sci fi a when I feel more confident though.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update of the wip of the jukeboxe's low poly.
    This still has crap uv's, but here's some images of the current low poly and it's wireframe. It's at 1,976 tris right now, but I've still got some crunching to do all over the model.

Jukebox_Low_01_both.png
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also here's the final render of the bumper car's high poly!

showcase_color.jpg

showcase_wireframe1.jpg
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    tooooooooo sexyyyyyyyyy................. Now let's see some damage in there!! :D hehehe.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Evolvyn!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work on those front details of the jukebox! Really looking forward to the textures! :)

Edit: Wanted to say that on your cast... you seem to have suffered the same issue I did when I did my jukebox. Looking back I gave way way way too much resolution in the unwrap to all the inside pieces. It resulted in the outside of the jukebox not having enough resolution. I know you want to show off all those details on the inside but in the end they are not really going to be seen as closely as the outside. All of those nice details you had in the highpoly became extremely muddy when you baked.

I would suggest going back an repacking... or you are going to have to go up a map size to get the detail to hold.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where did you learn this amazing sub-d skills?

Do you use any floaters?

How do you get such crazy detail?
  • Arod529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... that jukebox is amazing!

I'm with ya though, I prefer straight up subD modeling, though sculpting does tend to lend itself to organic.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on those front details of the jukebox! Really looking forward to the textures! :)

Edit: Wanted to say that on your cast... you seem to have suffered the same issue I did when I did my jukebox. Looking back I gave way way way too much resolution in the unwrap to all the inside pieces. It resulted in the outside of the jukebox not having enough resolution. I know you want to show off all those details on the inside but in the end they are not really going to be seen as closely as the outside. All of those nice details you had in the highpoly became extremely muddy when you baked.

I would suggest going back an repacking... or you are going to have to go up a map size to get the detail to hold.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to the textures too! haha
    And sorry this was actually a cruddy screen shot from Maya and my jukebox wasn't uved yet. I've got it all in Modo now and uved, so it doesn't look funny anymore the way it does in this. Thank you for the input though!
  • nukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Stephanie these are great, i can see the love and patience you put in them.
    I agree the lowpoly needs some work, maybe go a little higher (polycount, rez map, baking settings).
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes wrote: ยป
    Hey Stephanie these are great, i can see the love and patience you put in them.
    I agree the lowpoly needs some work, maybe go a little higher (polycount, rez map, baking settings).

She DID say it was a work in progress with crap UVs...
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks dirigible, and thank you nukes.
    But yes like dirigible is saying and like I wrote on that post when i first uploaded the lowpoly, that low poly isn't even uv mapped. I'll post up the actual low poly later guys, thank you for all your input though.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benton wrote: ยป
    Where did you learn this amazing sub-d skills?

Do you use any floaters?

How do you get such crazy detail?

Well I live in the Dallas area and I've had some great opportunities to see how guys like raul and Brett Brilley do things. But besides that.... practice? Lots of time and practice.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... that jukebox is amazing!

I'm with ya though, I prefer straight up subD modeling, though sculpting does tend to lend itself to organic.

Thank you! I kinda love subD modeling, figuring out how to build intricate shapes out without zbrush is pretty fun, hah :). But of course there are times when those kinds of programs are necessary.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    it's kinda sad to see so many dimensional details details being baked to a completely flat surface.
    i dunno what polycount would such prop have in a modern game but i think it wouldn't hurt to at least add some extrusion to the panel with buttons. and maybe model that cavity below it and turn lyre into a plane with alpha?
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your concern about my low poly hah, but it's not being baked on to a flat surface. It's hard to tell because I posted the picture from the angle I did, but trust me it has plenty of "extrusion" and shape to it. I'll post a more completed and better angle of it later so you can see.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys so here's a quick update.
    I finished uv-ing the lowpoly and got it inside UDK, I'm currently working on textures so expect those soon. Also thank you raul for all your help in getting this looking good!

So here's how it looks in the engine:

jukebox_001_zps4f9529a7.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good! Looks real damn good! Only thing that stands out to me as a possible bake artifact is some shadowing in the upper right of the door frame.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you dirigible! I noticed those too but they go away when I have my textures applied.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    looks awesome !! can't wait to see it textured :)

keep it up
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ayoub44!
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    beautiful details on the couch, you reproduced the fluffiness of the cushions beautifully
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Stephanie,

Great work! Those highpoly models are really good. I'm jealous now. That jukebox is just insanely good, you modeled all those details, it really shows. The only thing I would say for that piece is on the wireframe shot, maybe just show the wireframes for the box and bigger pieces and small pieces don't show the wireframes or tone them down that way it doesn't look completely black. and then maybe show a closeup of those small details in wireframe. Hope that makes sense. On the gocar piece those wireframes are very nice. Excellent topology flow! I would say maybe add more spec on the highpoly presenstation shot, thats just my preference. :) The couch is very nice too, I think the only thing that is bothering me is the sculpted cushions, I feel they might be a little blobby in some parts, it might be just me and-or the nature of the materail since its velvet, but I would say give it another pass to make it tighter. and maybe a closeup shot of the ornate wood details with wires to show your hard work. :)
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update I've been working on the jukebox textures so here's how they came out, and I also wanted post a wip of my bumper car.

Jukebox_Highres_Screenshot.jpg
    1153 tris

polycountUpdate.jpg
    2893 tris

I'll post more soon :)
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly: Thank you! Yeah that couch needs some work that's why I haven't done a low poly, I figured I'd do some more hard surface for now.

demilich: Thanks for stopping by and for all the kind words! :)
    I'd been wondering if you'd seen my stuff. I'll definitely keep all that in mind next time I render my wire frames, I was a little sad all the stuff with a lot of geometry was just getting blacked out. I'd been wanting to do a close up of the details on my jukebox but couldn't think of a nice way to present them. I'll get it done sometime though so you can check them out. :)
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick wip of the textures on my bumpercar:

Highres_Screenshot_00017.png
  • OrangeFugu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job Stephanie! If you could I would post up one of the texture sheets to check out your UV layout/spec maps and such see if there is anything to improve on there. The jukebox looks great.
    You might want to add some more geo to the bottom silhouette of the go cart as its hard edges stand out to me. I am loving the bright green
  • Harleybone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' good, Steph! That's a sick looking little bumper car.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet!! Looks great!
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the finished low poly of my bumper car, super pumped about working on other stuff now. :)

bumper_car03.jpg

Bumpercar_04.jpg

These are straight from UDK, I had one issue maybe someone else knows how to fix this but I can't seem to get my wireframe to show up black inside of UDK. Maybe it's not possible because all the UDK wireframes I've seen have been white, I know I can do colors but I just want black. Anyone know how to achieve this?
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrangeFugu: Thanks, I'll post up some texture sheets soon so you can check them out!

HarleyBone:Thanks Har!

Bbox85: Thank you Tris! :)
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Here's one way to do it (can't be black)... http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=724

If you want black wires, you could try this:

• UV snapshot from Maya
    • invert it
    • multiply it on top of your AO
    • make a new material in UDK

Great job on the car!
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my texture maps for the bumper car.
    bumpercar_TextureMaps.jpg

Kon Artist: Thank you! I actually came across this same tutorial earlier. You think a new material in UDK could work? I tried setting up a new one earlier but I couldn't get it to work right. I got every color to show but black, hah but I was thinking maybe it's because it's set up to the emissive so the emissive won't show if it's black... but I have no idea really.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, that's why you need to save your UV snapshot from Maya... and follow the steps above. Your new texture will have your UV's on it. Which will match your wire frame if everything is already triangulated in Maya. I hope this is making sense :poly142:

Some feedback on the textures. On future things I would recommend straightening your UVs. I bet your trying to maximize your UV space-- but it's almost counter productive, as having things that are straight textured on a diagonal leads to aliasing (look at the front grill).

Also, props like this are great to share UV space. No one is ever going to see both side at the same time. So you could texture the front panel uniquely, but have each side panel share the same space.
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, hadn't seen this thread yet. Great stuff, especially love the bumper car!
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on something new, trying to recreate this scene.

5360019068_eb9a733804_b_zpsdab9fd4d.jpg

Abandoned_playground_N_1_by_GordonBeer_zps99bb5b6c.jpg

And here's how the train engine's going.
    2-2_zps485c1798.jpg
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice high poly work, what software are you using? If it has a crease function, I would highly recommend using it. Saves allot of unnecessary headaches and allows for a lighter and more managable cage
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the train engine's high poly, so here it is. :)
    Should be posting the train cars soon as well.

TrainEngine_HighMesh.jpg

TrainEngine_HighMesh_WF.jpg
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice high poly work, what software are you using? If it has a crease function, I would highly recommend using it. Saves allot of unnecessary headaches and allows for a lighter and more managable cage

Thank you! I've been using Maya to model and Modo to bake and render. The more I use Maya though the more jealous I am of Modo, since it has so many cool tools that Maya doesn't. Right now I'm slowly trying to work my way into just using Modo. I've seen people use edge weighting in Modo and it does seem sooo much simpler then the way I'm building stuff in Maya at the moment.

@Kon Artist - Thanks! I'll keep those things in mind as I continue building stuff. :)

@futurepoly - Thank you!
  • Goten-trunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    nice work buddy you did a great job waiting for your all stuff with textures bumpercar is loooking very nice.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    How are you finding modo for baking normal maps? I've only briefly used it but not being able to use a cage is a huge drawback, so I use xnormal.