Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Suburbum and Spacey: Great stuff!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Low poly version done and done. Sits at 7,880 tri's which is still a little high but i knocked off 20k of fat so not too bad.

Sky4.jpg

Quick turn around;

Sky-3.gif

*Turn around screwed by two compression passes.

Going to unwrap and what not next.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    Happy New Year's Polycount!!!! <3<3<3

4LvAk.jpg

This is awesome! I love the style... it looks 3d ish ?
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    I am loving your topology on that model Lazerus : )
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent a good chunk of my xmas vacation this year feeding my head with tutorials and info. I went through a bunch of stuff on 3D Motive and I bought a copy of nDo2 to get up to speed on how to use that. This is what I ended up with for my efforts:

XmasVacation2011.jpg

The trees and grass are from a foliage tutorial, the ground texture from a tileable texture tutorial, the barrel as a result of watching high poly modeling and UV unwrapping videos, and the cube at the bottom is my play around with nDo 2.

Fun!!
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    The trees and grass are from a foliage tutorial

Please do share ;)! The foliage is looking absolutely boss! Also - note to self - purchase nDo2 asap.
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    2h7q7eo.jpg

Chugging along :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Low poly version done and done. Sits at 7,880 tri's which is still a little high but i knocked off 20k of fat so not too bad.

Sky4.jpg

Quick turn around;

Sky-3.gif

*Turn around screwed by two compression passes.

Going to unwrap and what not next.

Why do you have so many polys in the face? If you are baking it there's really no need, they don't add to the silohetter.

He does look cool though.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please do share ;)! The foliage is looking absolutely boss! Also - note to self - purchase nDo2 asap.

Oh, sorry, all the tutorials I did were on 3D Motive! Forgot to mention that. Really great stuff.

And, yeah, I've only had nDo 2 for a few hours now and I've already made stuff that I would easily consider to be usable - all without ever starting up Max. :P
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    choco: I love how the grass makes me feel like I'm looking at a slightly miniature environment

excellent bake PenGuin, will be cool to see it finished
  • grantthompson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff guys :D
    Jessica Dinh - That looks amazing.! Absolutely love the style :)

Choco - That is insane ha.! It looks so cool :D Cant wait to see where you take that scene

Still chugging away at this asset :) Just trying fill the scene out a bit, Still not completed the Petrol pump yet got a lot to do and obvs still need to bake the actual pump. Still trying to get a more Borderlands look so any Any crits would be awesome

The barrels are the ones from UDK atm and are just placeholders at the moment to give me an idea of the scene :)

Untitled-8.jpg
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Grantthompson - Looking good. I think you captured the Borderlands feel quite well.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jramauri - thanks dude! im headin back to work, but i should still be supdating regularly.

Jessica, hold your tongue and say that out loud! ;P

Lazerus - lookin pretty cool. all mayan like n stuff. im a fan of that culture bein in 3d artz. your legs are lookin really string beany though. they really dont look muscular enough in the hamstring/ quadricep areas. and the knees just kinda blend in at that bend. ide check out some pics of like dog anatomy n stuff. get that lookin a bit more refined.
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    Here is my first personal creation for 2012,
    not much to say about it,

skullboy_by_go_maxpower-d4l2lau.jpg
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    We decided to do a new lets play with a bunch of the new features, which oddly enough is going to be outdated in the next update! So maybe we will have to redo this or do another one, we shall see!

I think I end up getting mic-recording shyness, where I lose train of thought and forget things!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_1wRl6uFn0&quot;]Wanderlust: Rebirth - Let's Play - Update 2.44! - YouTube[/ame]
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    6,990 tris;

Sky6.jpg

Cleaned up the face, any little parts on the body i missed before scrapping off 1000 tri's. Added more geo to the legs to beef them up a little. Still a few tweaks here and there but i'll look at it with fresh eyes tommorow.

I kept the face higher poly at the start as it would charge/bite/claw so the players focus would be avoiding the head, so the detail should cluster a little. I'll just set some more texture space aside for it :) Hopefully i'll be able to show you what i mean if i get to animating it !
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work peoples... getting 2012 off to a good start.

some cross posting.

monsterleague_cthulhu_Tprogress_02.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    weird and cool. just the way i like it.
    love the way u handled those "mummy" straps, good and original.
    the "dotty" shoes dont to it to me... think there r enuf dots already on the model.
    also try mixing some of the colors, pouring some of those green into the yellow pants (as u did with the octo-head, on the inside, and the shoes). Maybe some yellow/orange into the shadows of the straps would work well...

posts the flats!
  • G_I_B_B_O_N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a critique on the low poly geo I made for my arcade stick. I'm still pretty new to low poly and am not completely sure if I'm screwing up areas or overdoing the amount of geo. Right now I'm at 5050 tris for everything. Not sure if this is way too much for such a prop. The cable is driving up the poly count like crazy. It's 1,700 tris by itself. I've got it at 8 sided right now, not sure If I should go lower.

Also, as far as baking goes, do I need to make the top area water tight with all the buttons, or is it cool to keep everything separate and just give things unique material id's so they don't bake onto eachother?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

AS_LP_01.jpg

AS_LP_02.jpg

AS_LP_03.jpg

AS_LP_04.jpg

[IMGhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/19341970/Posts/ArcadeStick/AS_LP_05.jpg[/IMG]

BTW,

Axios
    that teleleport chambers are epic.

Choco the grassland is looking great.

gillmeister74: what level of finish are you looking to take that? It's looking nice as a concept sculpt, but if your gonna go to a polished model I'd export it into something else and start building the armor over the top of it or seperate it in zbrush so you have more control sculpting individual pieces.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    seven wrote: »
    Nice work peoples... getting 2012 off to a good start.

some cross posting.

monsterleague_cthulhu_Tprogress_02.jpg

thats soo awesome! and weird!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    Glode wrote: »
    2h7q7eo.jpg

Chugging along :)
    Love those colors Globe :\ what's your next steps ?
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Been working on a leather bench for a scene of mine. Gonna call this hi-poly finished! HAPPY NEW YEAAAR!!!

leatherBench.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    jarrede - Yeah, it is 3D, here is my thread for it!

grantthompson - :) Thanks! I loooove your gas pump too. It looks really awesome with that cel shader xD You should make a thread for it so we can watch the scene progress.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Ughh don't want to know how many polys this one is...
    knight_wip.jpg
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    Spacey wrote: »
    2012 here I come!

birdboy_01.jpg

i SERIOUSLY wanna play that guy ! :D
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    shotgun wrote: »
    weird and cool. just the way i like it.
    love the way u handled those "mummy" straps, good and original.
    the "dotty" shoes dont to it to me... think there r enuf dots already on the model.
    also try mixing some of the colors, pouring some of those green into the yellow pants (as u did with the octo-head, on the inside, and the shoes). Maybe some yellow/orange into the shadows of the straps would work well...

posts the flats!

Those are some good suggestions. Thanks. I'll pull some of the colors into the other parts of the model. I'll post flats when I'm closer to done.

@striker: Thanks :)
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    MountainPlains15.jpg
    I really should make a thread.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man... that is some nice grass... trees too! yes, you should make a thread haha xD
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your branches have a very photoshoppy feel because they're all the same - it's especially noticeable at the tips. It certainly doesn't help that they are all vertical planes. You should add some texture varieties.
    repetitivebranches.jpg
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a critique on the low poly geo I made for my arcade stick. I'm still pretty new to low poly and am not completely sure if I'm screwing up areas or overdoing the amount of geo. Right now I'm at 5050 tris for everything. Not sure if this is way too much for such a prop. The cable is driving up the poly count like crazy. It's 1,700 tris by itself. I've got it at 8 sided right now, not sure If I should go lower.

Also, as far as baking goes, do I need to make the top area water tight with all the buttons, or is it cool to keep everything separate and just give things unique material id's so they don't bake onto eachother?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

For an in-situ prop this is way too high poly, but as a portfolio piece, whatever. Just try to keep the detail consistent, for example in your curve segments - the corner of the controller itself is lacking geometry compared to the buttons and stick. It's the silhouette of the controller that is most important here, so devote a few more tris to it.

If this is an in-situ prop the normal map could handle the majority of the detail. If so, I'd suggest using an alpha plane + normal map for the cable (with geometry for the connector).

floating geometry is usually fine at any 90 degree intersection, so use it wherever you can if it cuts tri count and doesn't compromise quality. I'm looking at the back of the controller where the cable connects - you could lose all those tris if the connection was floating :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    My texture for the Minecraft dragon!

I spent way too much time on this, lol. :poly136:

enderdragon.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are dragons in minecraft now?! And WOW that is an awesome texture you came up with DemonPrincess. Your low poly work is inspiring :)
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tilesmoss.jpg?w=300&h=150
    First shot at Vertex blending, not exactly what I imagined, but I learned a lot. Now where to go from here.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Nebz wrote: »
    tilesmoss.jpg?w=300&h=150
    First shot at Vertex blending, not exactly what I imagined, but I learned a lot. Now where to go from here.

well you could make the vertex paint effected by your heightmap or mask, so it fills in the cracks first.

which would give you more realistic in interesting patterns, and get rid of the graident fade
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Sick dragon, DP!
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    seven// haha.. really diging ur mutant ^.^

lots of great work from begging of 2012 years here

I made a model for 3d printing figure.

song2i.jpg
    pic1228044.jpg
    songj.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    Been working on a leather bench for a scene of mine. Gonna call this hi-poly finished! HAPPY NEW YEAAAR!!!

leatherBench.jpg

Did you sub-d model this in something like 3ds max or maybe sculpt it with zbrush?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Computron wrote: »
    Did you sub-d model this in something like 3ds max or maybe sculpt it with zbrush?

Looks like it was modeled in max and the wrinkles were added in a sculpting app, I could be wrong, but that's how most artists like to approach something like that.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jessica & cholden: thanks muchly!

There are dragons in minecraft now?!

Yep! The latest version of Minecraft has the dragon in it. It has its own realm, and it's the "endboss" if you will.

They also announced they will add common dragons, which will be red. I don't know how long it will take before that's finished, though.
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well you could make the vertex paint effected by your heightmap or mask, so it fills in the cracks first.

which would give you more realistic in interesting patterns, and get rid of the graident fade
    I did, but I believe either the cracks are too small to be used properly, or I did something else wrong. Here are the maps for the bricks.

tilemaps.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    HAPPYNEWYEAREVERYONE!!!!
    papagersi wrote: »
    seven// haha.. really diging ur mutant ^.^

lots of great work from begging of 2012 years here

I made a model for 3d printing figure.

song2i.jpg
    pic1228044.jpg
    songj.jpg

AWESOME!! I freaking love that sculpt.

WAYWO 2011 Thread Here - Moved to the Archives section

Here are some random sculpts I'm working on to kick off the new year.

Alien type dude.
    wip_alienmutant-02.jpg
    wip_alienmutant-03.jpg

Giant head man.
    wip_bulbhead-01.jpg

(Uncle) Fester Addams.
    fester.jpg

Great work Emil. Glad to see some new stuff from you man. :thumbup:
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome dragon skin DemonPrincess ! yeahhhh about those red dragons... if they are anything like their "npcs" than.... i wouldnt mind them just skipping them... oh by the way your guestbook on your website is being spammed. something about gonorrhea -__-
  • G_I_B_B_O_N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji: thanks a lot for the help. I did a bunch of poly reducing in favor of baking parts on instead of having geo. I know I could take the reduction a bit further, but hopefully this will end up being a happy medium in terms of detail.

Total tri count without the cord is 1,834

I'm gonna make cards to replace the cable tomorrow. Not sure how many cards I should use. If I reduced the cable to a 2 card X shape, that would give me about 425 tris for the cord, making the total polycount right around 2250.

Is this a more realistic density for a closely viewed in-game asset?

BTW, you mentioned that I needed more edge loops for the corners of the body. Actually, the corner circled in red is suppose to have a sharp transition, while the one in blue should be smoother. Should I still add more edge loops to the smooth corner?

Thanks again.

AS_LP_07.jpg

AS_LP_08.jpg

AS_LP_09.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    delete the middle 3 loops from the connector/plug. Make the wire 3 or 4 sided and remove some segments. Use a geosphere for the joystick. Add a couple more sides to the blue corner and the joystick-platform.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetelGeist wrote: »
    awesome dragon skin DemonPrincess ! yeahhhh about those red dragons... if they are anything like their "npcs" than.... i wouldnt mind them just skipping them... oh by the way your guestbook on your website is being spammed. something about gonorrhea -__-

Thanks!
    As for the NPCs, they might turn out not so bad afterall... Mojang just hired a new person to work on the NPC AI. :poly142:

Oh yeah, and I deleted the offending entries in my guestbook. :poly136:
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Computron wrote: »

I started off sub-d to get some basic forms in there like the indents of the buttons that I touched up in zbrush. Just seemed a lot easier to do that way, even if the mesh itself wasn't very zbrush friendly. Take this cushion for example, I extruded all the faces with "keep faces together" unchecked, then slightly rotated all the faces to get a little fold when it sub-divided.
    SubdCushion.jpg

Also props to Raul and his pimp thread as a good reference on workflow.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    woohoo, more texture progress. Sitting at 1,134 tris for all of it.

showcase02.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Jessica: Done and thanks!
    Snader: Thanks for the feedback. I just edited my textures so it got rid of the repeats
    papagersi: That is awesome!! Your sculpt looks great and the model came out nicely.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    I'm ever so slightly workin on Bux. Added a couple of arcade buttons next. Unity3d project. Controls feel much better already, hope to dive into level testing and bonus additions next :)

unibot_gui1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.