Home General Discussion

Gears of War 3

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok,guys will give gears 2 a go, shame it's not out on pc though:)
    Really getting back in to pc gaming lately.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't played 3 yet but loved 2 and you'd be a fool to skip it.

It'd be like watching Star Wars and skipping Empire
    or watching Lord of the Rings and skipping The Two Towers
    or playing Gears of War and skipping Gears of War 2.... wait, ok I guess it'd be exactly like that second one...
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Got it on the 16th, played through it one sitting. Been unable to get much time with it since. I was pleased, best Gears so far. Lovely art, tight as hell gameplay and a interesting (all though kind of untied) story.

I'll get my ass in gear and try getting some 4 player coop going soon :)
    As well as MP :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    indian_boy wrote: »
    Finished the game a couple days ago.
    While, overall, the game was great, I felt the same way about the ending.
    Here are some random/stupid theories
    Myrrah and Adam (or a previous Fenix?) were scientists together, many many years ago. Myrrah taking a more humane and non-violent approach to things, whereas Adam was always the mastermind behind WMDs etc. So Myrrah is actually a human - which is why Adam's machine didn't kill her.

As one of his many failed experiments, Adam created the Locust. Myrrah, for one reason or another, decided the Locust needed some form of leadership/a helping hand, and so wanted to help clean up the mess that Adam made. Maybe some super-soldier experiment? I don't know. Also - Sires are the "prototype" of Locusts during Adam's experiments. Either way, Myrrah felt attached to the Locusts over the years, and her loyalty shifted from humans to grubs.

One of the reasons I feel that way ^ is because of one particular line that the Queen says in the endgame. "Why do you choose who gets to live/die?" "do you not see the similarities between us" [not verbatim].

Then again, maybe I'm just being crazy =D.

not too sure this is a spoiler but ill still treat it as such.

for the most part, all of this info comes from gearsipedia after i was just interested in doing research on sires.

from what i remember reading. the new hope research facility was doing experimentation on humans in an effort for some cure or something (i would say lambency but i cant confirm that). what they were ultimately trying to do was create the "genetic bridge to the future." when the facility was shut down due to all of the attacks (from the sires), the test subjects deemed as "children" were taken on foot to mount kadar.

i dont think adam fenix had any helping hand in new hope. The main people talked about there are Dr. Niles Samson, Dr. Stephanie Zimmer, Dr. Doug Sato, and Sven.

Now although the sires were subjects gone wrong.. the "children" still probably had hope left for the experiment. in any event, i dont think the locust mutated from the sires or anything like that. once the new test subjects were taken to mount kadar.. i think there is when "the children" became the locusts.

my theory. queen myyrah was either.

1. the child of one of the scientists who were employed and doing research at new hope.

2. one of the "children" who was being experimented on who maybe had a mutation but only genetically.. not physically.

regardless of my theory im pretty sure its mentioned somewhere that she grew up with the locusts. (not raised by them but knowing of them) so naturally she'd become attached to them.. especially if she is technically one of them in some way shape or form.

oh yeah! my take on gears 3. awesome! the story was really cool. the art was amazing and i loved how the art changed from chapter to chapter. game play feels so much more fluid.. i love the diagonal dodging now. in general it is a HUGE improvement on the slow moving pace that gears 2 had.

after the gears 3 beta i went back to gears 1 and played it for a bit almost every night until gears 3 game out. i was super disappointed with the multiplayer in gears 2 but o well.. some people liked it i guess.

likes/dislikes.

retro lancer is an amazingly powerful weapon. i love it.
    horde 2.0 is much more fun with defenses now but unless its played on insane.. sometimes those arent needed.
    the ribbon system is really cool.. it keeps competition and game play fun.
    not too big a fan of how weak the regular lancer feels now. mostly because it gives 0 stopping power.
    i love the events. torque bow tag.. big head mode.. etc. they're fun little things that break up the game here n there.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Oniram, the Lancer has a bit of stopping power if they're running right at you. It's main strength though is the amount of ammo it has and its accuracy. It's much more accurate than both the Hammerburst and Retro Lancer and it can fire for at least twice as long as either of those without having to reload. That's why I end up using it more often than the Hammer or Retro. With those 2 I usually down someone and then have to reload to kill them and that gives them a few seconds to revive the downed person or have someone sneak up behind me while I'm reloading. Plus it still has the chainsaw if you want to be a dingle.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :)
    wife got me the Legendary Edition for our anniversery, I guess that means she doesn't need me anymore?

pretty impressive so far, I'm only at the grocery store with Cole and co. but very pleased. The lighting improvements and overall fidelity just from Gears 2 are excellent. And whoever did the burst/splatter effect for Lambent deserves several pats on the back, that's an awesome effect.

One thing i'm a little confused about: as far as I can tell the Lambent drones get spawned from the polyps on the sides of the stalks? like they're hatched and not just hitching a ride? so where do they get their guns from???

Also have to say I'm more than a little disapointed that there's no behind the scenes dvd with the legendary edition this time. How are we supposed to keep updated on Cliffy's love life without those documentary's????????
    Seriously though, those were really cool vids for the first two games and the absence this time is missed.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    It's much more accurate than both the Hammerburst and Retro Lancer

Isn't the hammy the most accurate of all the rifles?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Isn't the hammy the most accurate of all the rifles?

It seems to have a lot more kick than the Lancer but it's still pretty accurate especially compared to the retro lancer I guess. The Lancer moves upwards more compared to the Hammerburst but the Hammerburst jumps around more on each shot compared to the Lancer.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... Guess I won't be playing anymore Gears. My XBox Live account was hacked by the some FIFA 12 thing (A game I don't even own by the way...). I couldn't log on today and after some searching found out it's been happening to people for the last few months and Microsoft hasn't done shit about it. Fifa 12 shows up as the latest game played with 2 achievements and all of your microsoft points are gone with possible charges to your credit card. Luckily the card on my account was expired so nothing was charged (I think so at least). Now my account is unusable and is going to be suspended for investigation for 25 days now... Apparently the investigations take anywhere from 8 days to 3 months. Great job Microsoft...
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    woa.. that sucks man! i have not read anything about that. I played this morning, how is this happening?

I have been playing it, i am in Chapter 2... around the middle of it i think. so far that game has surpassed my expectations. So much color!!! it makes me so happy that it has so much color and attention to detail! The characters don't look smudged and the lighting rocks! it is a big step up, everything is crystal clear and looks great!

In the canyon there are some lowpoly shapes... but nothing big that bothers me... also, i am playing hardcore and its not much of a challenge. I'll have to play on insane and see how that holds up. I have been playing it by myself tho. So yea... great game so far! i hope the story stays on the right path. Cole made me laugh really hard through out all of the stadium part.

anyways. i hope my xbox doesn't get hacked... arkham city comes tomorrow in the mail and i am pumped to play that game and finish this one.

anyone up for some multi?
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Braulio - here is a piece on the spate of xbl account hacks in relation to FIFA 12

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/microsoft-ea-claim-fifa-isnt-causing-rash-of-xbox-live-hacks/3746/
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Well... Guess I won't be playing anymore Gears. My XBox Live account was hacked by the some FIFA 12 thing (A game I don't even own by the way...). I couldn't log on today and after some searching found out it's been happening to people for the last few months and Microsoft hasn't done shit about it. Fifa 12 shows up as the latest game played with 2 achievements and all of your microsoft points are gone with possible charges to your credit card. Luckily the card on my account was expired so nothing was charged (I think so at least). Now my account is unusable and is going to be suspended for investigation for 25 days now... Apparently the investigations take anywhere from 8 days to 3 months. Great job Microsoft...

I was hacked a week before gears 3 shipped :( Finally got a mail last monday saying they're looking into it, and gave me a free month of live (woo?). Have already created a new gamertag, so i think moosebot is long dead.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, two of my coworkers have had their accounts hacked recently. Totally sucks. I'm down a squadmate.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this sucks. I may end up making a temporary account to use since I was still quite actively playing gears and many of my friends are still playing it. Maybe I'll just give up on my old account and start fresh... I'm definitely not tying my bank info to my account again though. I'll just use the pre-paid cards for everything. It's way too much of a hassle to get the info removed since they took out the ability to do it online...

@Moose, they gave you a free month (Something that costs them no money to give you) while your main account that you've probably had for years and have spent hundreds of dollars on has been hacked and is unusable? What great service! If an Epic employee can't get this shit resolved then I doubt they will for me...

EDIT: Great... I just remembered that now I won't have access to probably over $100 or so of Rock Band DLC. That won't be useable on a new account. Neither will any of the unlocks and shit I have on Gears too...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    The only thing being an artist at Epic got me was a lengthy convo with a nice tech guy about getting into the game biz. I tried some back channels through some MS Gears contacts, as well as some of my own... but none panned out.

had moosebot since the xbox launch, all history of game's I've played for hours and hours, and those that i played for 30 :P Sucks to lose that history log. As far as DLC and Arcade games go, was told that after investigations finish, and if they prove it was out of my control (my acct was hacked, 10k points purchased, removed from my email address, and shipped to Brazil) they'll refund the points spent. With arcade games and DLC, I was also told the license for that game lives on your xbox, any gold account can play. downloaded arcade games can still be played though I'm not sure if redownloading them will be an option.

Back on topic, anyone play Torquebow Tag this weekend? :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played it for a few hours on Friday. It was quite fun except sometimes ammo was a bit low. It seems on certain maps weapons wouldn't respawn after being picked up once so you had to scavange dropped weapons which would disappear or be way across the map for the most part. That led to some rascal pistol battles though.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Torque bow tag is a blast! First time I ever played this mode, and its been ages since I played the gears1/2 multiplayer, so I don't know if that was already a mode in those games. But man, what a game changer! The whole pace of playing changes, people try to be a bit more tactical, its on the-edge-of-your-seat multiplayer. Awesome!

Really enjoying multiplayer as a whole, horde, beast, even with strangers these are fun. Horde is a bit tricky tho', when someone drops out, things can get nasty quick! But most of the times people stayed and good times were had by all. :)

Still, tdm (and now torque) is what I enjoy most. To me online feels really polished. I'm just kind of curious about the amount of players you see in the match menu. There's so few of them! I mean it doesn't matter for the games, they start quick enough and are always full.
    Just so weird to see only 500 people playing 'local' out of a total of 5000 'worldwide/euro region'?
    Just curious what's up with that counter thingy. :D
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got my account back! I just recovered it like you would if you were at a friends house wanting to play with your account on their xbox. Whoever hacked it didn't change my password before I changed my password and my e-mail tied to the account. Luckily I also didn't file anything with Microsoft so they didn't suspend my account for 25 days. I still lost 1500 or so Microsoft points but oh well... Better than not having access to my count for 1-3 months.

@Pestibug, Torque Bow Tag was just a weekend event. You can't play it anymore unfortunately. In my match menu I see usually about 30,000 players on TDM, 20,000 on KOTH and under 10,000 on any of the other game modes.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ticker Tuesday later!
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Enjoyed a sneaky game of Beast at lunchtime. Shame that Ticker Tuesday means Ticker Tuesday Evening in the UK ;)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So sad, ticker tuesday doesn't count as an event. Really wanted that golden cog.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somehow the events thing glitched for me and it gave me 6 or 7 events completed on the day the game came out. I'm up to 9 now but I don't think there's a reward other than a silver medal for getting to 10.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Did a bit of horde last night, really didn't see more tickers than usual though.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Did a bit of horde last night, really didn't see more tickers than usual though.

it usually depended on the round. some rounds we'd get massive amounts of tickers and others itd be barely any.

last night we did horde with instagib melee and friendly fire on.. so many accidental deaths.. haha. but i felt like nothing could stop me when i walked up to a beserker and killed it with 1 hit. :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok sorry for double post but. ever since i saw the Dust to Dust trailer (below), a friend and i noticed that at 0:17 seconds you can see RAAM advancing toward Marcus as he points at him. we were saddened to see RAAM wasnt in the game. until........ DLC! link below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5AVJXw--IQ"]Gears of War 3 Exclusive Dust to Dust Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

http://epicgames.com/community/2011/10/gears-of-war-3-raam%e2%80%99s-shadow-game-add-on-coming-dec-13th/
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Oniram wrote: »
    ok sorry for double post but. ever since i saw the Dust to Dust trailer (below), a friend and i noticed that at 0:17 seconds you can see RAAM advancing toward Marcus as he points at him. we were saddened to see RAAM wasnt in the game. until........ DLC! link below.

The whole trailer was a flashback to gears of war 1 & 2, Raam isn't in gears 3 because you kill him in gears of war 1 :P

the DLC takes place before gears 1, shortly after emergence day.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i meant more so as a character to play as in multiplayer. :P
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chocolate weapon skins ! :poly142:
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    This is the first multiplayer game on the 360 that I've actually gotten into. Been having a blast playing TDM and Horde, I'm a big fan of the other Gears games but for some reason this one just clicks with me more as far as multiplayer. I think the lobby/matchmaking is a lot smoother than it used to be, or else I've just gotten more used to it.

Hadn't been able to play it until this week since I was going to play it with my brother and didn't want to crack the plastic until we started playing, and we beat the campaign last night.

My only regret is that I bought Bulletstorm and never really played the Gears Beta, so now I can't get the goofy beta weapon skins :D
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone played the Gnasher only weekend setlist yet? I am going to try it out later. Will probably end up just being more like how Gears 1 was. What I am really looking forward to sometime is a Sawn-Off only setilst...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing it now. whoopin ass. :D

i hate people who instantly switched to sawed off at the first second of a match and just sneak behind you to get cheap kills. this is a good change of pace. feels EXACTLY like gears 1.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played a nice long session of Gnashers earlier and it was quite fun. Also I've been doing wingman lately when I only have one friend on. It's quite fun planning how to take out 3 other teams instead of just running around like a rascal trying to kill anyone.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boom/Snipes this weekend! The blog post on the Epic site said that this is the last weekend of Epictober. Does that mean that there won't be an event every weekend from now on?