Home General Discussion

Polycount Minecraft Server

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    r13 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you need to allow Java to use more memory.

Java by default has a hard coded limit on what it can use. This is good reasons for thos, but in the case of minecraft, it can not be enough, especially when you are playing on a map as large as the polycount world. This is why the SP works fine, but you are not having a good time on the server.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/350344-allocating-more-memory-to-java-windows/

thanks a lot! I think that solved the problem. No freezes until now.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Diss: sure, the server never has very many folks on it. Should be ok.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent! i'll get started.

lemmie know if it becomes a problem.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    anyone notice any strange creeper behavior? i'm makin a mob trap but i got creeps blowing up even like 10-15 blocks away behind walls an shit
    keeps reuining my trap
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    anyone notice any strange creeper behavior? i'm makin a mob trap but i got creeps blowing up even like 10-15 blocks away behind walls an shit
    keeps reuining my trap
    i've taken to sniping them, knockback doesn't seem to work, and ever since 1.2, they're awfully fond of exploding.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I seem to be having the same bug Shep was getting on Mac, I manage about 15 seconds of gameplay logging in, before the container window just disappears, no error message, it just disappears! :poly117:

I'm on windows though, I perhaps need to downgrade to 32-bit Java? Anyone else had this?
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
    So how does one get on the whitelist?

here's my username: Amatobahn
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    server seems to have gone down
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww server down
  • Joker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    I seem to be having the same bug Shep was getting on Mac, I manage about 15 seconds of gameplay logging in, before the container window just disappears, no error message, it just disappears! :poly117:

I'm on windows though, I perhaps need to downgrade to 32-bit Java? Anyone else had this?

I get this is I maximise minecraft before connecting to a server. I also get a bug caused by my (usb) wireless receivers software, closing that down sorts it out. So maybe it is something conflicting with minecraft, try cleaning your machine up. I'm not much of a mac guy so I don't know where the data is kept for minecraft but I'm sure there is places you can find out. Perhaps also try reinstalling any programmes you think might conflict and minecraft.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i can only play it on medium distance and a small letterbox style sceen... blrrrrgh
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i'm havin a problem with my mob tower,

when i first made my trap, big box in the sky, mos just poured out of it for like 10 minutes, then stopped. nothing, not a single mob for a few days.

so idecied to search around and i found this thread.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1074908-mobs-no-longer-spawning-in-mob-trap-in-123/

and this quote
    "this seem's to be a newly put in part of the source-code dedicated to Survival Single Player: Hostile mobs can only spawn a certain amount of times at a specific height on player-placed blocks, same with what block it is, only acertain amount of times per block"

now first off i'm playin multi on the pcount server but it seems the rest of the statement is correct for me.

after waiting forever for something to spawn, i went broke open the trap wall finding it dark and empty. i dug out several chunks of the floor an put new floor blocks in. prob about 1/5 of the total floor i remade. then i went back down to my fall pad to wait, and a few minutes later tehy started falling, a lot slower than before.. prob cause i asume they were only spawning on the new blocks, after about 10 minutes they stopped all together.

my trap consists of a landing platform about 100 blocks above teh ocean surface, then 30 blocks aboce that a spawn room. most of the local caves have been torched. (used xray texture pack to find them.)

anyone else notice something like this?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also whats the link to the map i know its minecraft.polycount.com but i cant remember the rest
  • Eric Chadwick
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    hmm i'm havin a problem with my mob tower
    hmm... try building another one below it, with the same drop distance. that might be the only way to go if spawn rate really is dependent on altitude. since the device itself is enclosed, you might even have to build it entirely underground.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i'm working on an underground one now, that has no player made spawn surfaces, and that elavators the mobs up to the surface to me
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    server seems to have just crashed a few min ago.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that would explain why I cant log in
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    server up.

added some anti-creeper tech. still hurts players tho, wont bust up your shit tho.

also there's healing and repair tech going on when you sleep. you will heal and armor and tools will too... when you sleep.

gonna try to get a irc bot going too for shits and giggles. we'll see tho.
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you white list kyleu please :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    server up.

added some anti-creeper tech. still hurts players tho, wont bust up your shit tho.

also there's healing and repair tech going on when you sleep. you will heal and armor and tools will too... when you sleep.

gonna try to get a irc bot going too for shits and giggles. we'll see tho.

is the creeper fix also the reason that tnt blocks dont work no more? i went to strip mine a larger area last nite and the tnt just poofs, destroys nothing,

while i like the idea of creeps being nerfed a bit, i'd rather them be put back to normal than lose our tnt
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Whitelist updated

I'll look into the TNT issue
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I was thinking of returning but seems like the server has seen better days D:
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i fixed the tnt issue

i had the irc bot up but i think it was causing the server to run our of resources and crash. so its turned off.

everything else seems just fine.

habboi: the server is fine. it goes down once a week maybe, when i'm not tricking it out ;)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    What goes on nowadays anyway? I hope no ones taken my spot and built an underwater boat ride :D
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    servers been down all day :(
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loverooo wrote: »
    Ainol Novo7 Basic Tablet PC 7 Inch Android 3.2 Dual Camera 8GB HDMI 1080P Black
    US$125.99
    many people know it

this sounds like a good deal! i buy 3!
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    The server has been down. I just opened it back up. It's going continue to crash. The issue is not the IRC bot as i originally thought, although it wasn't helping anything. The issue is that you several of guys have all run off for miles and miles and miles and miles in different directions and made the map gigantic. I'm looking at you mojo. We are essentially running out of ram and the sever is getting tripped up on itself and falls on its face.

These are my options to solve this as i see it, feel free to offer up your own suggestions:

1: I reset the server and restart the map new.
    1b: I may need to install a virtual border to keep you guys from running off to the ends of the virtual world. I'd rather not. But its an option.

2: I remove all mods and the map and run the server vanilla. This may or may not give us enough ram to support the world as is.

3: move the server to another provider. If i do this, it will be the one I suggested further back in the thread. I got zero feedback from you guys on it so I'm not sure about it. It would be cheaper and much more automated. No more mods but the map to see the world would still be there.

Let me know what you all think.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it wasnt my fault that ocean was so freakin huge, i've only uncoverd a small trail up north, the stuff going off east was not me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    why not use one of those mods that limit the size of the world? I linked one a while ago that sets a border based on x meters from the origin. It would also be cool if the new world started out with some sort of infrastructure - do some city planning before hand before everyone starts building stuff.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Mojo: maybe you dont understand this but there is land under the water that gets generated when you sail across the ocean for hours. That land and the water take up memory.

Don't get too butt hurt, if I could easily single out the person that went east I would have called them out too.

Justin: that is an option I already mentioned but that wouldn't solve the problem with the existing map. I would have to download the map locally and then edit off all the extra areas.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I'm up for a reset if it means that we get a more stable server- I do think that restricting the size of the world will be a good thing and if done right we can still spread out a bit but not go too mad.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's another option: if you open the map up in mcedit, you can remove chunks from the world. if traveled to again, they will regenerate. there's another one called minecraft-chunk-delete that has the same end result, but is automated and relies on defining "safe" areas, though i'm not sure it works with the new map format.

as for #2, i'm not sure that removing any/all mods will have the same effect on the memory footprint that removing some of the map will.

3 sounds iffy... while mods aren't required, having the option to install them is nice. is upgrading the existing server an option? i'll donate some of my paycheck, if it'll help.

if none of the above will work, then i guess a map reset is in order.

edit: oh, and there's also what i did; get the seed (we'll have to ask for it if the map is regenerated), and created a new singleplayer world on your local computer. do all your exploring there until you find a good place to build, /then/ log on to the server and either walk straight to your site, or ask an op to port you there. this means you can explore as much as you want (since two maps generated with the same seed are identical) without overloading the server.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin: that is an option I already mentioned but that wouldn't solve the problem with the existing map. I would have to download the map locally and then edit off all the extra areas.

yeah, I'm talking about a reset. I'm going to draw up some city plans tonight, I think a forum full of artists should be able to come together and make an awesome city. I'll start a thread in P&P to try and get a forum wide collaboration going on. It's sad that all these non-artist servers are kicking our butts in the visuals department.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's sad that all these non-artist servers are kicking our butts in the visuals department.
    8GJW0.jpg

derpington's not /that/ bad.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dissonance wrote: »

where the heck is that?
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    near -1090,-730

(actually this is from my offline planning copy, the two buildings in the foreground haven't been built yet)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7a2uk_4qY"]The Survival Games - Minecraft PvP Map - YouTube[/ame]
  • SamBaylus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one who went all up/east was me. I apologize!! I wasn't thinking about server size, just wandered off to see what if. I'm really sorry!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm up for a reset. If people really want to keep the existing stuff, we could trim the world, and set a limiting fence. But a reset would be fine too IMO.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I hope you decide soon as I'm putting off joining in as I'd hate for my creations to die unfinished :D
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    dissonance wrote: »
    8GJW0.jpg

Do check this out- been a while since I visited up north, but it's extremely pretty - plus there's a very cool automated railway. ::poly121:
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I had a wander up there the other day, very nice! would love to see more of this kind of thing going on- just a shame it's so out of the way from the base town where I'm at or I'd help out with the buildings.

Btw I grabbed 64 arrows but left some sticks and I think feathers in return :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    I hope you decide soon as I'm putting off joining in as I'd hate for my creations to die unfinished :D

It eventually happens anyway, the map has grown too large and there's probably a good chance that new biomes and blocks will be introduced in the future.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey wrote: »
    I had a wander up there the other day, very nice! would love to see more of this kind of thing going on- just a shame it's so out of the way from the base town where I'm at or I'd help out with the buildings.

Btw I grabbed 64 arrows but left some sticks and I think feathers in return :)
    i'd planned to connect it to spawn with a long-distance subway... i should probably get on that at some point.

enjoy the arrows! all the buildings are designed to be habitable and usable; take what you need!
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    server has been reset with a new world seed: 1672184498917379323

there is a npc village near initial spawn that has been secured. you'll find a house with several beds in it so you can set up a spawn point inside the safe area untill you get your own area set up.
  • SamBaylus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found myself a charming village at about (-360, 111). I plan on making my home here, and I promise not to wander into the abyss! Sorry for the troubles.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Awesome. I'll have to log on in the evening.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    and by all means, copy the seed and generate a local copy of the map in youe own SP games. Make it creative mode so you can fly around.... that way you can scout out a spot and look around some to find a spot for yourself again.

Mist will have to start her flower collection over, sorries.