Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice job on the character. I would love to see him in poses
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    makhkk: No worries, that's coming. :)
    I generally only pose when the texturing is done. It's a workflow thing. :)

Either way, long time no update, so here be some piccies!
    Texturing is nearly finished. I'd say I'm about 70%-ish. Still gotta do the monkey masks and the cloth and some small bits like the pattern on the buckle (maybe a monkeyfid greentooth). The cloth will take the most work as the pattern I've got in my head is going to take a while to make. It'll keep me occupied for most of an evening I guess. :)
    And yes, he has glowy eyes and bits; and I like them so nah! :D
    03052011_Texturing_001.jpg
    03052011_Texturing_002.jpg
    03052011_Texturing_003.jpg

I think I'll make him some sort of puffy cloud for a base... Any thoughts on this?
  • d.hynes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the cloud idea is cool as it fits with the monkey king theme but i wonder if it's beginning to stray too far from kung lao so maybe you could do something that nods more towards that side of the character? just a thought. either way this is awesome!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Holy swinging monkey tits:) great job, man. love those closeups.

My only complaint right now is those big deep-red spaces on his "skirt" and left shoulder. I find them vibrant enough to be stealing all the attention on this white "background" . If you'd tone them up a bit or introduce a brighter pattern on them I think things would work a bit better. Or you could just paint those little "segments" in sort of like a checker pattern with some of them being brighter or even downright white, though it could get a tad noisy.

Still it's up to you and that's one solid piece of artwork. Wrap this sucker up!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Really like how this turned out! Seeing this rendition of him, makes it hard to un-see it and picture the original. Good stuff.

My only crit...which isn't really a crit, is more just personal preference probably - the white on his outfit is seeming awfully bright white. I'd go for more of an off-white cream sort of color...but, that's just me.

:thumbup:
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    lookin good maph!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yea, Spank that monkey!!!

Looks awesome, love the eyes they look electrifying.

The ropes could use a little more loving & I vote yes for the cloud idea.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    d.hynes: True, true. Maybe I can add a lotus dragon in his belt buckle? And hopefully the pose I'm going to do will make him look a bit like Kung Lao (ie. Tossing his hat). :)

d1ver: Great suggestion! I've slightly reduced the saturation on the red armor and made it a bit lighter. It works like a boss imho!

Two Listen: Indeed! I've made the cloth more creamy (lol?)/beige looking and it turned out really good imho!

Dan!: Cheers dude!

$!nz: Typing your name is a bitch! :D Nah, thanks for the kind words man, mucho appreciated. And the ropes have been taken care of!

Either way, the texture is almost done! Gonna keep on crunching 'till this sucker is done so I can get posing tomorrow. :)
    Updates later. :)
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Love it. One of my faves :) where's the pose already!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers Massbot.
    And here's the pose. :)

06052011_Posing_001.jpg
    06052011_Posing_002.jpg
    06052011_Posing_003.jpg

Gonna spend some more time on the texture and I'll hopefully get to do the pedestal as well. If I'm out of time, I may have to ditch the cloud idea, but let's hope I don't. :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Look fantastic, man! Love all the little details and bigass MK logo:)

the pose however could use some work. Very visible on this shot. I think if you just turn the right foot to be perpendicular to the the left one, things will get better.
    here's what I mean:
    fight_stance.jpg
    more of a natural finghitng stance and his leg doesn't look twisted:) c'mon now give us that cloud, man!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Hope this fixed it. :)
    And now with puffy cloud!
    06052011_Posing_004.jpg
    06052011_Posing_005.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, cool cloud:) Maybe you could make a copy, scale it up a bit and then apply the same material just with a bit of transparency? A quick and dirty way to make it look even more puffy. If you're using UDK you could also add a DepthBiasBlend(or something like that) to the transparency so there would be no sharp intersection with the legs.

The posture is really good, but now it looks like his kneepad is sliding around his knee.:)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    I'm using Marmoset, so transparency is a bit of a bitch. Mind you, I wanted to use UDK's new tasty DX11 features (even got a new card for that) but I have no more time to set it all up again.
    I'll see what I can do about that kneecap.
  • cmcisaac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the cloud u added lookin ace, i dont really like the depth of field tho probaly just me but i think its kinda distracting.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the cloud is awesome, and I like the pose, but I think your lighting/render setup is really taking away from your texture work, I can barely see any colour variation in there anymore that doesn't look like it's just coming from the red haze/overlay.

fix it.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    nearly there Maph, like Skudz said, knock the red out of it and you are set, great work man :D