Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Mortal Kombat, KUNG LAO, Maph

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers guys.

mjackson126: I'm hoping the novelty hat would do the trick yeah. That and the color scheme on his outfit makes him Kung Lao I guess. :)

Either way, not feeling it today. I'm overthinking shit too much again... But here's an update anyway.
    05042011_SculptWIP.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, man, do not demotivate you're doing a great job all around.
    I can see your concern. With that jacket and belt you lost some of that shoulder/waistline ratio that made the silhouette look cooler. It's also less detailed for now. But overall the character is still great and I'm sure you can find a fix

My advices would probably be
    make the shirt tighter to enforce the silhouette
    make a smaller belt hanging asymmetrically maybe even a couple of them(for gear or smth)
    maybe rethink the piece of cloth handing from his shoulder? I can't justify it right now other then "something to break the symmetry"
    now that I think about it those shoulder pads could constrain arm movement a bit. Maybe you can lift the "mouth" up, that would make for more interesting shoulder silhouette as well.
    The knee pads could also be a bit more flat, since they don't look all that practical right now.

And one more thing that you can always do is take "more is less" approach and throw away the coat altogether, make a lighter version Kung Lao. Just an idea, crappy over to elaborate on what I mean:

maph.gif

the amount of suggestions in no way suggests that I find the character bad. In fact it's one of my favorites and that's exactly why I couldn't resist a couple of friendly ideas. Feel free to neglect all of it, I still like it.)

keep rocking, man!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good dude. I love those monkey shoulders. Keep it up!
  • stfu_donny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking sick dude
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I know I already said it, but man that looks fantastic.

Seriously, I hope you finish this guy. I wanna see him fully textured, and awesome.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    d1ver: Thank you for the excellent pointers! I will kill off the coat and replace it with a scarf I think. That thing that is hanging from his belt over his shoulder, might as well make it wrap around his neck, and create some major asymmetry like that.
    I'll raise the mouths of the shoulder monkeys, good idea. :)
    What do you reckon about one arm being armored (his left arm) and the other one unarmored? I was thinking that his right arm is his staff wielding arm and his left arm could possibly suit as protection against attacks and such. So I would ditch the shoulder armor on his right arm, but keep it on the left.
    Loads of stuff to think about, and I'm seriously deviating from my concept; but I want this guy to rock some socks!
    I need a new jerb badly and asap, and this guy needs to be my ticket into the AAA industry damnit!

Jeremy-S: No worries, I will finish him. :) If all goes well, I'll be doing the low poly by this weekend.

Bigjohn, stfu_donny: Thanks guys!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey Maph, yeah agree with D1ver, I still love the character but I think that layering him up is the wrong way to go....monkey should be agile and quick as a form of defense rather than a walking suit of armour.....I like the idea of stripping back the right arm so that he has more movement.....I would consider perhaps going a-symetrical on the thigh armour too, just to bring that lovely cloth work back out?

Anyways keep at it man, he's looking ace.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Maph wrote: »
    What do you reckon about one arm being armored (his left arm) and the other one unarmored? I was thinking that his right arm is his staff wielding arm and his left arm could possibly suit as protection against attacks and such. So I would ditch the shoulder armor on his right arm, but keep it on the left.

Hi, Maph, glad to help. :)
    I'd say, choose what's best for the silhouette.
    Are you planning to ditch the armor with the monkey pad?
    If you remove just the armor it won't be that noticeable(unless thre'll be strong color contrast) because the fat sleeve underneath totally takes over the silhouette job. And, also, me loves those monkeys.
    As an option you could continue the wrapping thing on his right forearm all the way to the shoulder. Thus creating a slicker silhouette on this arm. And it could even make sense if large sleeves are uncomfy to wave your hands in. crappy-crappy over here. And from there you can judge what to do with the armor. But I think th sleeve is the main thing to tackle here if you want fine readable asymmetry.

You might also consider a small shield for the other arm. I see you have some sort of an armor there, but a little shield seems more logical to me in this circumstance.

Anyway it's completely up to you, man. I'm pretty sure whatever you'll do will be rocking. :poly142:
    Maph wrote: »
    I need a new jerb badly and asap, and this guy needs to be my ticket into the AAA industry damnit!

Ha-ha.Then we are in the same boat, buddy. so true for me too:)

cheers
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers for the suggestion d1ver. I liked the idea of strapping up his right arm completely, but it would make a massive mess texture/normals wise imho. :)
    Not to keen on the shield idea to be honest.

Either way, some more work. Just needs some more bobs and pieces for the asymmetry and I'll redo the knee pads in a more consistent style with the rest. :)
    09042011_SculptWIP.jpg
  • Vegas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vegas polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Maph. The long hair sits really well with the rest of the character. I agree about the kneepads. They are awesome but just don't suit the shoulder pads. Also I know they're small details but I feel like he needs a ring or two on one hand.
  • Hellstern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    Wow. it turned out reeeally awesome!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers Vegas, He got a couple rings rings. :)

Hellstern, thanks!

Sunday Night update, I need to get cracking on this damn low rez! I can keep tweaking this guy until it drives me the fuck insane, but it's time to call it a rest, fix a few tiny more bits and start retopo'ing the guy. :)

10042011_SculptWIP001.jpg
    10042011_SculptWIP002.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice and clean high poly. The monkey kneepads look ace :D.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Looking sweet man. I missed seeing this one. I like the detail. Cool to see your posting this up.. cool monkey stuff. I dig that pattern with the upside down Y shape.. really cool.

Now i am subscribed to your thread.
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    THAT IS A DAMN COOL HI POLY !!!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    HAHAHAHAHAA RAD! I love this dude. I am really digging all of the small details. Great works.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Love it. this is great! especially all the little details
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like you refined the face some more, or the profile shapes at least. looks fantastic.

glad to see you ditched that cloth tunic, you were covering too many of your details.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    great sculpt Maph :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!
    Had a couple of crashes recently during the retopo so I lost half my work... Being the moron that I am, I forgot to save!

Speaking of low res, anyone got a good idea on how I should tackle the tail? I want it to look furry, so should I resort to fur planes, or figure out some obscure method of rendering fur in UDK? :)

rv_el: Cheers mate! The pattern was kind of a bitch to figure out how to make it tile properly, and cutting it to shape was absolutely horrendous and needlesly timeconsuming, but the results are nice imho. :)

AKAperly: Yeah, it looked OK on the concept, but hardly as much in 3D. :)

Either way, updates coming soon hopefully!
  • chill-lair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the tail, I can't say I have a ton of experience, but I tend to lean more towards simpler methodology....so personally I would do planes. I think that's how they did hair for Gears of War
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what kinda hair solutions UDK offers, but a tail made of 747's sounds just aces to me ;)
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truly fantastic.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Absolutely love it!

One of the most polished entries for sure.

Very nice blend of style, and skill. Congrats for getting plugged on the front page!!!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    chill-lair: They did use that method on Gears. I just fear for my triangle count if I go bonkers with the fur planes. But I'll probably have to bite the bullet and go through with that. I was just wondering if UDK has support for fur shells. :)
    Scudz: 747s or penistanks = epic win.
    mxdirector: thanks. :)
    Jacque: Cheers mate! And w00tsauce @ frontpage mention!
  • Mert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good, nice details! my only thoughts are that the hat looks alittle too perfect.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    yummy Maph, no crits just admiration.
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    I give this a 10 out of 10, really inspiring work. The patterning on the shoulder pads and leg armor is really well done. Nice work!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers guys!

Mert: don't worry, that'll be taken care of during the texturing phase. :)

Lowres building, progress was retardedly slow for some reason, and I'm at 12.473 tris and he still needs some good long hair planes and fur on his tail...
    I've been trying to trim this sucker down from 15k, and I'm not feeling it... Jeez, this is driving me the fuck insane!
    18042011_LowResWIP.jpg
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    Outstanding. Can't wait to see the textures!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I'd say you can really knockout alot of the poly's on his knee armor pieces there. Alot of that detail you have modeled in can be left up to the normal map. I can see that you modeled in the straps for his feet as well.

This looks awesome btw. Such a great piece.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome man!!! this is a cool entry.

I'm totaly screwed on polycount. 12k Triangles :/.. for a street fighting character.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys and gal! Much appreciated! :)
    I got him trimmed down to 12006 triangles with standin hairquads, but the final tri count won't be too far off (I hope). The rules state that you can overboard by a couple hundred tris, so I'm safe I think.
    Gonna ditch the idea of doing fur with alpha quads on the tail, I'll just sculpt the shit out of that like a boss!

rv_el: Lawlz, if I can get this monkey d00d to 12k, it ought to be a breeze for you. :)

Now, let's get this hairy bastard some UVs!
    fat_bastard.jpg
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job on low poly dude,small crit hope it's not to late,maybe some more edges on that belt buckle armor piece,it really stands out an should get some more geo,good luck with UV's :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    You mean the big circular thing, right? :) Yeah, could use some more curvature, I'll make it 16 sided cyl then.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep that one sorry i wasn't clear enough,i see you got some tris to spare so why not use them :poly121:
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    SO nice dude, i sense another winner in this entry!!!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    really cool design and sculpture, man.
    digging it
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful man! Great Job!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    this is turning out so awesome
    it has a lot of personality to it, gj
  • cmcisaac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love this one cant wait to see texture!
  • Everneto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice!! I liked the story line that you are using, was a very good idea. this without speaking of great job you are doing!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks so much guys! Means a lot. :) You guys are a great motivator to keep pushing! Again, thanks a bunch!

Got some more work done. The sort of final polycount is just about 12k triangles. I could shave off a 100 or so on the hair I think, but it doesn't matter all that much. :)
    Baking was a complete and utter bitch... Lessons were learned, post-its with black marker were pasted and foreheads were smashed against the wall.
    Loads of (fairly unnnoticable) baking artifacts in there and some nasty stretching here and there in the texture, but I couldn't be bothered redoing it at this stage. I lost too much time setting up the bake (that turned out like shite the first couple of tries) I could have spent painting.
    And next time I'll put some freaking color in the highres before I bake. I shot myself in the foot on many an occasion for this one...

Uugh, ranting done, here be some pics and a mandatory spinny gif!
    I spent the last two days trying to find a color scheme I like and trying to keep it rather simple as I have this nasty tendency to really overcomplicate shit. Still some minor things to decide on color wise and then I can actually start doing the fun stuff of texturing, painting like a boss! I hate blocking out the color for some reason.
    27042011_TexturingWIPTurntable001.gif
    27042011_TexturingWIP.jpg
    Rendered in Marmoset, with diffuse, normal and a crazybump based spec map. Nuttin' too fancy just yet.

C&C would be very much appreciated, I always tend to block on texturing. :susp:
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should try and work in some more of Kung Lao's orig colour scheme, at least as a tesst, but otherwise it looks like your troubles were worth it.
    Nice one
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    it's getting alive!

very nice man! I do think the armor pads on the shoulder and knees will lose quite some detail if they are going to have all the colors from your color scheme if you know what I mean.

Anyway I take a deep bow for you!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    You are a machine!

Amazing work!

You're probably already on it, but I think there needs to be a shitload more colour differentiation.

Shaping up to be a pretty amazing entry as per usual Mr.Maph.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Damn people are way ahead! I'm just now trying to unwrap and bake out maps.

Its looking cool. My eyes are immediately drawn to his feet though right now.
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slick dude, i wish i was in your place right now, all retopo'd and unwrapped already. so jealous.

been working 9-10 hours every day at the office, then working on brawl till about 2am. if i don't keep with this pace i wont finish.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Niiccce work Kris! Your skills have improved exponentially. It's been a pleasure to see you level up.

You're scaring me with your progress, I'm not even at the low poly stage!!!! Gotta catcchhh up XD
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Scudz: Cheers man! I initially went with Kung Lao's original color scheme, and I thought it was blocking too much detail (dark colors + normal map detail = fail). So I went the bold route and did the exact opposite.
    I get this impression a lot of people just stick with the washed out brown color pallette, and I wanted something different. I want this dood to scream "FUCKING HIRE THE GUY WHO MADE ME!". Admittedly, I have gone too far and broke with the Kung Lao feel the initial sketches had. Something I kinda feel bad about. Oh well, as long as I keep telling myself the hat is what makes him Kung Lao it's allright I guess? :D
    Oh, self-delusion, how I lurv you so.

Remmers, Jacque: Thanks guys! And yeah, it's a tad too monotonous right now. I'm playing around with some blue/golden patterning and decorations on his pants and shirt, and I still got to figure out a way to make the knee caps pop more. Maybe change their color scheme all together!

rv_el: 9 more days dude, better get cracking!
    Nah, you'll do fine; I'm actually really looking forward to your low rez! I'm pretty sure it's gonna rock mah socks!

AKAperly: You and me both buddy, this sucker took me two full days to unwrap and bake... I got pretty sick of it by the end!
    Don't overwork yourself man! A well rested mind performs a lot better then a tired one.

Dreamer: Thanks Del! +1 to stamina! Now all I need is a proper jerb. :D