Home General Discussion

Crysis 2 leaked in its entirety. ffs.

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Was it clarified if this was a press build? Studios will often offer journos a pre-release build on a password protected FTP or similar. If so, the culprit could be anyone at any of those games sites/mags.

Still sucks tho.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    There must be a way for Crytek to check who leaked the build.
    I remember Machine Head sent out individually different mixes of one of their records to the press, that could be traced due to its sonic finger print and if it was leaked they could tell exactly who leaked it.

I really hope they have some sort of watermarking system in place, so the person responsible gets whats coming to them.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    that is totally wrong, feel sorry for crytek. So sick you can download the beta game now in any sites? I have to wait and buy the original instead.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Lame news. Hope they can pull out from this.

On the plus side, this thread has alowed me to add so many more names to the ignore list ^_^
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I`m sorry to hear that HP. I`ll definitely pick up a copy of the finished game. PC gamers should support Crytek.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    wat

LOL I see what you did there...

"Crytek has been alerted that an early incomplete, unfinished build of Crysis 2 has appeared on Torrent sites," reads EA's response to Kotaku on the matter. "Crytek and EA are deeply disappointed by the news. We encourage fans to support the game and the development team by waiting and purchasing the final, polished game on March 22."
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Crysis 1: Not Baldy optimized, it just has insane requirements and if you knew the engine, you'd know why.

Belias: Lol.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I don't see why they should stop developing on PC because of this. Apparently, Crysis was pirated to death, still didn't stop Crytek expanding and adding more studios to its name. Pirates are pirates and theres no stopping them, some would say they aren't all lost sales and these people wouldn't have bought the game anyways.
    The game will be pirated at it's official release as well, but it will still sell pretty much the same any other PC games do.

I do like though when a PC game is pirated, it hits every news site going, yet when a console game is pirated, they never seem to get the same coverage.
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    maybe if they released a demo on PC (like they did on xbox) earlier, then there would have been less demand for a stolen copy? what do you guys think.

I truly think that there would be less piracy if demo's were made available to PC gamers.

I agree here as well, not that it'll stop pirates, but at least stop the curious and enable people to try the game without resorting to the pirating. It's like a slap in the face when they release demos on console and not on the PC, yet they expect you to still buy the game regardless that the console version has the advantage of being able to test the game beforehand.

I can see why this goes well for some publishers, it's that there ports are that bad, they don't want to release the PC demo in case of lost sales from the PC demos being a bad representative on the final PC game.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    whats_true wrote: »
    Lame news. Hope they can pull out from this.

On the plus side, this thread has alowed me to add so many more names to the ignore list ^_^

+1 to all this. Sheez.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Now, I will give Crytek the benefit of doubt, but I will say that Crysis 1 was one the few games I've played that was so badly optimized(this list would also include GTA IV(PC version) and Saints Row 2(PC version)) that it was even unplayable on a great gaming rig back when it was released. So I don't need to hear from people played the leaked version to make my own expectations for Crysis 2.

Crysis was one of the best looking games that had real time light bouncing and shadows, I can forgive the engine for being hardware intensive, everything in the game looked great.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I bet there's a downer in the Crysis office today, sorry to hear it guys :(
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Sad news really.

But whats all that crap like "May Crytek have their lesson learned and improve sequrity"
    I mean from what I can tell if there is someone inside your company willing to leak a build then there is not much you can do about this. Of course it depends on the position the said person has within in company. So you can restrict internal access to full builds I think. But there still will be quite a lot people that need regular access to weekly builds to do their job. Depending of how things are handled internally even artist might need this access. So I think there is not much you can do about this.

Second: If the leak was from a magazine: Tough Shit. Again not much you can do about this (not talking about DRM Master Keys) Either give it to the press to get those big 10 page previews or miss a lot of marketing to sell your product.
    Digitaly signing your copys to trace a leak is a nice way to sue the bastard who leaked the copy but it neither reduces any risk of leaking software before official release nor covers the potential damage.
    Maybe you could give out copyprotected press releases that only work for serveral hours. But those will be cracked anyway if leaked to the right people.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I could also forgive the engine for being hardware intensive when running the game on the wildest settings, that's fine. But I couldn't play that game on even "good" quality settings even though I had a 8800GTX(which at that time was to be seen as the monster of GPU's out there when Crysis 1 released) while it ran any Unreal Engine game beautifully(which also provided much better visuals if I have to be honest compared to the quality level I could run Crysis on). So wether or wether no the engine featured real time light bouncing and etc. I didn't find the visuals nearly as pleasing as I was having from an unreal engine game.

But I can only agree with you, the game looked great when every setting was around the top level. Same goes for GTA IV(pc) when it was released, but that ain't an excuse for releasing a game on a poorly optimized engine.

I still firmly believe that the cryengine was badly optimized, which I also think is proved by the fact that the new cryengine version features same level of visuals but also runs on consoles which ain't nearly as powerfull as a circa 2007-2008 over-mediocre gaming rig.
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really disappointing to hear that this has happened and I hope Crytek and EA have no trouble finding the culprit and dealing the most severe penalty to such person/persons.

I've had the game all pre-ordered and paid for since last November on EA's download service. Only just remembered recently that I had done so, and really looking forward to its release next month.

Although this is more a 'leak' case and not a way to harp on about DRM, but I welcome all options of anti-piracy measures and can't understand those that feel they need to have a moan about DRM and refuse to buy products because of it.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Crysis was one of the best looking games that had real time light bouncing and shadows, I can forgive the engine for being hardware intensive, everything in the game looked great.

dear lord no. Crysis never had real-time radiosity. THAT is a feature of CryEngine3 which is being used for Crysis 2.

Crysis was made so the top of line computers back then struggled on the max settings. This was on purpose. This is not directed at anyone directly, people need to stop thinking a game is bad because their system can't run it at 100% max settings. PC's have varying hardware setups so the specs a game can run smoothly at varies from system to system. If you don't like how it looks on your computer, perhaps the issue isn't the game, but your system not being powerful enough?

Crysis was optimized down the road. You cannot expect every developer to optimize everything perfectly otherwise nothing would ever be released.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Slum wrote: »
    Does this really matter? The people who are going to download this would pirate the final game anyway, so it's not really lost sales is it?

Not so. At all. I have the limited edition preordered for the PS3, and yet would still be sorely tempted to play it now, if I could. Who wouldn't? If you are looking forward to something, you want it as soon as possible. I would happily play the slightly unpolished PC version now and then play the sexy finished PS3 version to bits in SP and MP when it came out. Especially considering that I haven't got an xbox, so I haven't played it yet.

Still, must be a complete nightmare for Crytek right now, there must be a lot of people yanking their hair out in clumps, wouldn't want to be going back in there Monday morning! I've got two buddies over there (imyj on this forum makes sexy 2D art for them), hope they are ok :(
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Thank god news sites immediately told everyone you could get this for free.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    yeah I was thinking about that today. It is big news - but wouldn't the responsible thing for major gaming sites to do is simply not report on it?

Obviously word will get around, but front page news gives the whole thing faster exposure.
  • Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    yeah I was thinking about that today. It is big news - but wouldn't the responsible thing for major gaming sites to do is simply not report on it?

Obviously word will get around, but front page news gives the whole thing faster exposure.
    I agree. It's quite disgusting of them, especially any major ones that are reporting it.

What do you expect from them though? These are news sites that will run the most minimal of stories these days (gamesindustry.biz scouring peoples linkedin's for news stories) and risk someones job for a few hits.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    dear lord no. Crysis never had real-time radiosity. THAT is a feature of CryEngine3 which is being used for Crysis 2.

Crysis was made so the top of line computers back then struggled on the max settings. This was on purpose. This is not directed at anyone directly, people need to stop thinking a game is bad because their system can't run it at 100% max settings. PC's have varying hardware setups so the specs a game can run smoothly at varies from system to system. If you don't like how it looks on your computer, perhaps the issue isn't the game, but your system not being powerful enough?

Crysis was optimized down the road. You cannot expect every developer to optimize everything perfectly otherwise nothing would ever be released.

It's fine that they make a game that requires a high level of computer power in order to run on max settings, I'm fine with that... if I wasn't able to compare the visuals with another top level engine that could deliver same level og visuals with up to half the power requirements... I'm talking about the unreal engine which I believe is one of the best optimized engines out there.. When you mention that I might have needed a better rig at the time, but as I said, I was equipted with a high level dual core, 8 gigs of ddr2 ram and a 8800GTX from Asus, which at that time, was considered a beast on the GPU market at that time... So if you release a game that intentiontly runs bad on high level hardware at the time of the release, I believe something is wrong.. :<
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    I couldn't play that game on even "good" quality settings even though I had a 8800GTX(which at that time was to be seen as the monster of GPU's out there when Crysis 1 released)

I had an 8800GTX, 4g ram, q6600 2.4ghz cpu. I ran the game maxed out, start to finish, at 60fps.

Always worth keeping your PC in good shape if you want to get a fair judgment of something that is notoriously hefty to run.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As to the question of Crytek dropping development for PC because of this, I wonder how much a role hardware developers would play in that decision. Most high end computer systems and parts are marketed to gamers, and companies like Nvidia, Intel and AMD/ATI have a lot at stake with regards to popular PC releases that push the hardware envelope. I don't have any data to back up the claim, but I know the scuttlebutt around the internet when Crysis 1 was released was a whole lotta 'going to get me a new card to play it'. Losing developers on the PC platform not only effects the game market, but the hardware market as well.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The audience reached by legitimate advertising, although alot larger, would grow at a similar rate when compared to the audience reached by pirated software announcements [EDITED] and seeing as this game is huge, it's a bad situation. I hope Crysis still has much of it's intended impact when release time comes. [/EDITED]

I have Crysis for pc and will be buying Crysis 2 also.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    It's really sad to read some of the posts on this thread, but I guess everyones entitled to their own opinion / say on the matter.

Anyway, I honestly hope you enjoy the game when it comes out, we're working pretty hard to wrapp it up. I've personally devoted 2 years of my life almost solo to this project, sweat and tears and alot of passion, I'm sure those who shipped a game before are familiar with the feeling and can also imagine that this leak was all but positive.

Still, I'm fairly confident we'll do fine when march comes. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kotaku aren't reporting on it, interestingly enough. Would be fun to see the torrent 'kotaku'd' lol. (For those who don't know kotaku often crashes peoples blogs if they feature fan art or whatever due to the ridiculously large volume of traffic). Would be a pretty damn big problem if 300,000 seeders suddenly sat on the torrent, peeps would be downloading the whole thing in an hour.

Don't envy you HP, work ain't gonna be fun Monday morning :(
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    [HP] wrote: »
    It's really sad to read some of the posts on this thread, but I guess everyones entitled to their own opinion / say on the matter.

Anyway, I honestly hope you enjoy the game when it comes out, we're working pretty hard to wrapp it up. I've personally devoted 2 years of my life almost solo to this project, sweat and tears and alot of passion, I'm sure those who shipped a game before are familiar with the feeling and can also imagine that this leak was all but positive.

Still, I'm fairly confident we'll do fine when march comes. :)

Don't worry dude, Crysis has a loyal fan base, not to mention that what ever has been leaked is a crap version and not the whole thing. It can't be that difficult to create new master passwords and stuff.
    I won't be able to get the game until I have some more money; which might be a while. :(
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    SpeCter wrote: »
    There are enough legal ways to play it like demos or video rental stores(don´t know if thats the right word for it)..
    This is untrue. There are many games that don't provide demos and there are no rental stores for PC games at least that I'm aware of. You can't even return one that you purchased in store.
    It's fine that they make a game that requires a high level of computer power in order to run on max settings, I'm fine with that... if I wasn't able to compare the visuals with another top level engine that could deliver same level og visuals with up to half the power requirements... I'm talking about the unreal engine which I believe is one of the best optimized engines out there.. When you mention that I might have needed a better rig at the time, but as I said, I was equipted with a high level dual core, 8 gigs of ddr2 ram and a 8800GTX from Asus, which at that time, was considered a beast on the GPU market at that time... So if you release a game that intentiontly runs bad on high level hardware at the time of the release, I believe something is wrong.. :<
    Apples and oranges. It could deliver superior performance at the cost of a lot of visual features and more static environments. You're comparing an engine that's pretty much fully dynamic vs. one that uses baked lighting.
    Rick_D wrote: »
    I had an 8800GTX, 4g ram, q6600 2.4ghz cpu. I ran the game maxed out, start to finish, at 60fps.

Always worth keeping your PC in good shape if you want to get a fair judgment of something that is notoriously hefty to run.
    No, you didn't. Don't make up nonsense.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of interest, where the Cryengine 3 mod tools also leaked? If not, then the damage from this will be even smaller.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Belias wrote: »
    I think the company leaked it to create some buzz & advertisement.
    ps: i hate FPS games, they are boring.

Really? You are fucking ridiculous.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm sorry, I gotta call bull on that.. I think there was to be atleast 1 generation of nvidia gpu's before one could run crysis 1 on max settings on a single gpu card. I believe the 9800GTX was the first card to run Crysis in a proper with resolution with AA and all settings around max.

Apples and oranges. It could deliver superior performance at the cost of a lot of visual features and more static environments. You're comparing an engine that's pretty much fully dynamic vs. one that uses baked lighting.

While I know there's technical differences on the engine,but me as an end user, dynamic vs. baked lightning didn't make enough of a visual impact for me to put the cryengine in favor when it comes to visuals vs. performance. But that's my opinion atleast.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Out of interest, where the Cryengine 3 mod tools also leaked? If not, then the damage from this will be even smaller.

As far as I know, they were in fact leaked w/ the game.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer.

Belias, you're a moron. :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    This is untrue. There are many games that don't provide demos and there are no rental stores for PC games at least that I'm aware of. You can't even return one that you purchased in store.

I know that many games don´t provide demos this days unfortunately.What i meant is, that there are many ways to get into it without getting it illegaly.

And there are other things like gameplay videos, reviews and forums like this to read how good or bad a game is.

I just meant that there are more ways then just leeching the thing, playing it for hours and don´t buy it.I hate people who say they just download because they want to test it.The majority of this people won´t buy the game afterwards.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12

i bought my rig specifically for crysis, it ran like a charm. sorry yours didn't.

I think..

well there you go.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember Crysis was the first game I bought for my new rig ... had the 8800 Ultra SuperClocked along with an overclocked E8400. Ran the game flawlessy at maximum detail.
    This leak has made me think ... I need to build a new pc so I can buy this game and play it on a decent machine :p

Hope they find the thing that leaked it and give it a firm kicking.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Badger : As a matter of fact I don't think you'd need a huge new beast of a computer to run it. I keep hearing fanboys screaming about the game being 'console-ified', arguing that it will look bad and low res. But I think that it just means that the engine is smart and scaleable. It should run smooth and look great even on regular hardware, right ?

(BTW, the 360 multiplayer demo is awesome and looks gorgeous. Can't wait to buy it!!!)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I had a 8800GTX, 4 gig and a Intel Q6600 and it ran fine on full, too - if I remember correctly. Later on when my PC was a bit older and actually had programs installed (Crysis was the first thing to go on the new rig) it had some frame rate issues. Crysis actually came free with the graphics card. Although I didn't play much more than an hour or so...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looking at these released screen shots from the leak just makes me more excited for March! :D. I hope they have the editor on release!
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, I have had my computer for 3 years now and have been getting a seven year itch kind of feeling... guess I am looking for an excuse to build a new pc :D
    Actually, less of a gaming rig and more toward modelling - I am trying to save some money for a professional card, rather than a consumer card.
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    i bought my rig specifically for crysis, it ran like a charm. sorry yours didn't..
    Lying about your experience with a game doesn't improve your rig. It may have played smoothly, but it wasn't near 60 FPS. Find one review that can corroborate your claim.
    I know that many games don´t provide demos this days unfortunately.What i meant is, that there are many ways to get into it without getting it illegaly.

And there are other things like gameplay videos, reviews and forums like this to read how good or bad a game is.

I just meant that there are more ways then just leeching the thing, playing it for hours and don´t buy it.I hate people who say they just download because they want to test it.The majority of this people won´t buy the game afterwards.
    Gameplay videos are almost always handpicked portions that best "sell" it rather than best represent the entirety of the game. Reviews are more often bought than earned and there are very few people whose tastes I trust enough to make a blind purchase on. To me, it would be like purchasing a car based on Car and Driver reviews and watching a guy drive it in a video. That's not near enough for a reasonable purchase.

Face it, PC games are possibly the only industry in which you cannot test before purchase (unless a demo is provided and even then, look at Far Cry's fantastic demo vs. what the rest of the game was), cannot return it if unsatisfied and yet the consumer is always held to blame for poor sales.

My purchases via illegal demoing far exceed my normal purchases.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Too much silly talk, but i still don't know how it was leaked... auto-leak?

This a "crysis" for Crytek!

At the end, PC will be reduced to fucking mmo games, and you know, korean grinders for retards.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i bought my rig specifically for crysis, it ran like a charm. sorry yours didn't.

I'd like refer you to this chart:
    http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/92/bench/Crysis_01.png

So, if you're playing the game in 1440x900 with no AA, I could see the game would run fine... I was running it in 1920x1200 and couldn't get past the 20 fps marker even with AA turned off... I will still have to call bull on your statement.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    @Turbosmooth Operator:

You have to see this possibilities as a whole not one by one.You are right with your points, but it´s not like every review is bought.And with hyped games the review will most likely be higher then it´s worth.

And please stop these car comparison.You won´t steal a car to test just because you couldn´t test it legally before right?

What i want to say is that pirating is not right regardless of what you do afterwards.
    It´s a shame that there are not so many (good)demos anymore, nobody want´s to buy the cat in the sack(blind purchase). :(
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    You have to see this possibilities as a whole not one by one.You are right with your points, but it´s not like every review is bought.And with hyped games the review will most likely be higher then it´s worth.

And please stop these car comparison.You won´t steal a car to test just because you couldn´t test it legally before right?

What i want to say is that pirating is not right regardless of what you do afterwards.
    It´s a shame that there are not so many (good)demos anymore, nobody want´s to buy the cat in the sack(blind purchase). :(
    If I could copy a car without being caught to test it, I probably would. Then I could base whether or not I purchase it on that experience. Lucky enough we have test drives.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I think this thread has run it's course and should be locked.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Yeah I didn't want this to be a piracy debate. and there's not much more to be said.

Turbosmooth Operator, I don't really get why you're so adamant that a 8800 GTX based rig couldn't run crysis on max settings, rick D doesn't have to 'prove' anything to you, and there is no point calling him a liar, it's just flaming.

My bit: Piracy hurts the industry regardless of good intentions - when 'Big Publisher' see's that x% copies of 'Big Game' are pirated, they don't care about your intentions, they see evidence that the PC is unprofitable and are less inclined to develop for it in the future, and studios loose support.
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    fearian wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't want this to be a piracy debate. and there's not much more to be said.

Turbosmooth Operator, I don't really get why you're so adamant that a 8800 GTX based rig couldn't run crysis on max settings, rick D doesn't have to 'prove' anything to you, and there is no point calling him a liar, it's just flaming.
    Because it can't run Crysis at 60 FPS he's claiming. It simply can't. He's either delusional or mistaken. I know this for a fact because my card runs the game faster than the 8800GTX at low to medium resolutions and it couldn't come near 60 FPS.

The post to which he replied with that claim pointed out how Crysis was built with future hardware in mind and the best card at the time couldn't even run it at speeds we've been accustomed to. It's pertinent because this current leak is being blasted for poor performance yet the original didn't provide great performance at release either. How many generations of GPU's did it take to run Crysis at 60+ FPS? Why would we expect the sequel to run butter smooth?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Crytek has been alerted that an early incomplete, unfinished build of Crysis 2 has appeared on Torrent sites. Crytek and EA are deeply disappointed by the news. We encourage fans to support the game and the development team by waiting and purchasing the final, polished game on March 22. Crysis 2 is still in development and promises to be the ultimate action blockbuster as the series’ signature Nanosuit lets you be the weapon as you defend NYC from an alien invasion. Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community.

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/blog/crysis-leak

Gotta love how EA always tries to put the onus on the PC community.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »

Agreed.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Ark wrote: »

What? They're saying the PC community is what is being *damaged* not what is doing the damage.
This discussion has been closed.