Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seven-Way Scuffle

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    People always go for the regular human breast configuration when making anthropomorphised animals. She could have 8 boobs, Makkon. 8!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The shut-in scientists at the lab only managed to successfully steal one bra. So they cut off the other 6.
    Problem solved :)
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Makkon wrote: »
    The shut-in scientists at the lab only managed to successfully steal one bra. So they cut off the other 6.
    Problem solved :)

That still won't account for the 6 nipples :P
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    While walking to the H.E.B for lunch with my coworker, we talked about this and I think I've nailed down who/what I'm going to make, and it is glorious. Lots of opportunities for great skin surface stuff, a very characteristic face, and awesome props/gear. I hope I finish. :poly124:

redneck_moleman_refsheet.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    This stuff's looking pretty sweet, guys. Really nice concept work as always, Makkon. Scooby, if that doesn't turn out as disgusting as possible, I'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm going to be visiting some friends for a couple of days, so I won't be able to post any more concepts and such, but I'll be back late Sunday. I should have more stuff by then; I've been gathering some good reference materials and doing more sketches.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Alan: Skin could be removed there, otherwise the skin would sag.
    Besides, that is so not sexy. These scientists are very particular.

Swizzle: Thanks, man! Can't wait to see what you have when you get back :)

Scooby: Disgusting. I couldn't display that on the public computers, here. Excited, and also quite terrified, to see where this goes. :)

So I realized what I want to do after all. The specs offer enough room for 2 characters. I'm going to do the cyborg pumagirl fighting with the lizard man. There shall be blood!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Lol, I wasted about 4 hours today, trying to work out some kinks
    cougar.jpeg

I concepted first, with just what I saw in my head:
    sketch2011_030.jpg
    sketch2011_031.jpg
    sketch2011_032.jpg

After doing moodboards (I realized they are a very good idea, you guys are on the ball) I realized that my current concepts were inadequate. At least the mechanical portion of her is. I'm getting there, but I'm very dissatisfied with the direction I'm taking her mechanically. I'll try again later, eh?
    moddboard_pumamechanical.jpg
    moddboard_pumaorganicl.jpg

After I define some more details in her, I'll move on to the lizard man.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I have some links that might help you guys for inspiration and stuff, I have some more if you guys need it.

Kinda preaching to the preacher here.. sorry

http://i55.tinypic.com/2i06h40.jpg
    http://i55.tinypic.com/2dukmqp.jpg
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, so I finally started a concept.

I'm still not completely sure but I had an idea of an African Hyena mutant.

As for the all important verbal wank...

DOGBOY

For 3 days and nights they fell.
    The Malaika hurled their fire stones from the heavens purging Man, Beast and Land...

In Africa the nuclear attacks where less severe than in Europe and America, with many more people surviving and much of the land untouched.
    However the already struggling African people were in no state deal with such a massive loss and the people fell into complete tribal war.

For decades Warlords vied to control their regions with no regard for those who stood up to them, often killing innocent villagers by the thousands.

It was during this mayhem that the first of the hybrids were born.
    Unlike the survivors in Europe and American the African people celebrated the hybrid-born, revering them as spiritual conduits to the land and their gods.
    Amongst the death and disorder they represented a new era of man and beast living in harmony.

The warlords saw the Hy-born as another weapon to wield over others and any Hy-born children were stripped from their families to bolster the ranks of the militias.

Dogboy is one such child, violently taken from his family as an infant he never knew any life other than war.

He is was a loyal and brutal warrior, the strongest of his tribe.
    Mindlessly obeying his Warlord master as they lay waste to village after village.

Rumours had begun of an underground resistance to the Warlords, normal people fighting to take back their freedom.

Dogboy put no stock in the rumours until during one patrol his group was ambushed by a resistance militia. The fire fight which ensued left everyone dead or dying.

If not for the chance encounter of a scavenging child the next morning he also would have died. The child's family, although knowing he was a militia warrior nursed him back to health.

When he was well they taught him off the truth of the world, how his people had taken him as a child, that his real family would have met the same fate he handed out so willingly for his Warlord master.
    They told him of the blessing of being Hyborn and how it was a gift from the gods to help balance the world.

He vowed to find the resistance and to aid them in the fight to free the enslaved.

Anyway...CORNY!! lol

I'll need to go over the concept a fair bit, what I have here is pretty rough but it's a start. :)

dogboymood01.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    keep up the good work y'all! I decided to switch things up, instead of a lion, i'm doing the most ravenous and ferocious creature of the animal kingdom, the honey badger!

moodz_ref1.png

I'm keeping the post apoc Central Africa theme though.
  • yoyomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yoyomon polycounter lvl 11
    Youtube answered my curiosity and that honey badger is one badass mofo
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz your honey badger dude needs a white mohawk.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Super early bust study, just to find where I'm going, how human/molerat he's gonna be.

redneck_moleman_headstudy.jpg

**EDIT: Dropped on 2 minutes of polypaint just to give him a little more dimension.**
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    That kicks ass Scoob!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who's in the mood for some super creepy cassowary people to go along with the super creepy mole rat people?

93DO1.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work guys.

Swizzle - LOL. The expression on the right cracks me up.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Guys, I'm super envious now. I can't move on to that step for quite a while :(
    Fantastic sculpting, I love the mole-rat man so far scoob. And Swizzle, the one on the left looks boss, man.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    ScoobyDoofus: Paintover time. I think smaller eyes would help a lot, and I think the detail on mole rat skin is wrinkles, rather than folds. The paintover is fairly crappy, but I think you get the idea, which is that I think it's small shapes, rather than medium size shapes.

ScoobyPaintover.jpg

Swizzle: I like it. It's cool how you've got a ton of bird elements, but still get a human expression.

-

Hoping to post a model myself later today.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dum de dum dum more screwing around.

un20M.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board. Lobster legs are super complicated and they 10 of them. Might be better to mix that up with a bit of human anatomy.

7Model1.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Some great stuff coming through here.

Hey Swizzle, have you looked at the andean condor for inspiration? You were messing with the cassowary design so I thought perhaps the comb and wattles might appeal, along with giving a more interesting silhouette.
    Condor+des+Andes+9.JPG
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hadn't looked it up before, but now that I'm looking at it, it is certainly pretty interesting.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    So basically it's a Gamma World Theme....lots to work with. I wish you guys would open this stuff up to the community, but then maybe you all want the quality of the work to represent the better craftsmen here and not let it get cluttered by noobish stuff....?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't exactly an exclusive club we belong to or something. This is just a friendly challenge between a few people who wanted to make something cool. Other people are free to do similar stuff if they want to; it's not like any of us have a monopoly on interpersonal competition.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz wrote: »
    i'm doing the most ravenous and ferocious creature of the animal kingdom, the honey badger!

truth just a fun fyi, these guys go into a comatose state if they are bitten by snakes and raise their body temperature to burn off the venom...pretty hardcore.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Swizzle wrote: »
    This isn't exactly an exclusive club we belong to or something. This is just a friendly challenge between a few people who wanted to make something cool. Other people are free to do similar stuff if they want to; it's not like any of us have a monopoly on interpersonal competition.

Well point goes to you and the rest for being proactive then...looking forward to seeing some great work.:)
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua3M1O-WQrM[/ame]

It's a little tricky to see but at 0:08 he's snatching the snake's kill out of it's mouth.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I fucking love you guys! keep it going pls!!
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Nightmare Fuel: The 3d Competition
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome starts! I gotta join one of these civil wars too much sweet stuff going.

Zwebbie's paint over is good too, I think the model would benefit more from the smaller eyes, The larger eyes make me want to empathize with the creature in a cute kind of way.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you guys feel about octopus people?

MNJuD.jpg

I wasn't really feeling the vulture guy concept; it didn't quite seem as interesting as I initially thought it might. In order to get something more interesting, I'm going for something a little crazier and less "realistic."
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Damn, I'm loving that concept Swizzle. Reminds me a bit of the proportions in the "Salesman Pete" short.

I say go for it, he looks a lot more fun than the vulture.
  • Pogo
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the hell did I just watch?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Swizzle, keep that design. It rocks harder than granite. Though I am a bit confused why there are suckers coming out of his boot...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What, you mean YOU don't have suckers coming out of YOUR boots?

I think it's probably pretty clear whose work I'm using as style reference... especially for somebody working at Insomniac.
    r18UQ.jpg

Though this is not to say I'm anywhere near as good as my references, however.

EDIT: Added some more color and made his eyes a little less stalky and a little more octopussy.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Haha, you're right, Swizz. If I ever question you again please feel free to hit me in the nose. ;-) I'm totally diggin your color palette so far. But then again, I'm just an overall sucker for Powder Blue.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Loving the new direction, Swizz!

Man, this really ended up looking like garbage. I'll try again tomorrow or something
    01-17-2011pumagirl.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the balls, dudes? Four days and no updates?

PFFT!

gANCq.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That's a dang nice Octopus head. Doesn't look like that tiny little neck would be able to hold up that big head sack, but it goes well with the cartoony proportions and is better than a thick neck that molds with the head sack I suppose.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it definitely is a pretty skinny neck, but I think it'll work well given how thin his limbs are going to be compared to his body.

And now: Octopus dude with 100% more color!

EDIT: Added a band-aid, a touch more color and better lighting to make everything pop. I also screwed with the specular and reflections on his eyeballs.
    KcfJp.jpg

Older version:
    http://i.imgur.com/eEbTs.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Now thats awesome
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, loving those colors.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys; glad you like it!

Just working out some more details here. I was also going to do his boots, but I have some TF2 to play, so screw it.

HCbAi.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like the style of a sleazeball (slimy) kind of person, looks really characterful so far, can't wait to see more :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, a funny, colourful, aquatic creature. That's sooooo original, Swizzle ;) .

-

Not a big update here, but Lobsterman now has clawhands-handclaws!

7Model2.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's all thumbs!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    nice stuff dudes! here's a silhouette from me. His face doesnt look badgery enough, so once i fix that ill post more..

silhouzizzle.png
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry I haven't joined in. I finally have the time necessary to go full steam ahead with this.

Swizz, I love the new direction you went. I would've liked to see something more realistic out of you, but it looks sweet. :)

I tried out sculptris today and liked it as a conceptin' tool. Here's a bear head which I don't really care for, and a komodo. I did a quickie paintover to try out colors and better define some forms, and I'm liking the direction it's heading.

bear_01.jpgkomodo_01.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Scooby: What you've got so far is lookin' sweet! I half agree with Zwebbie. :) Mixing some wrinkles in areas like the neck and forehead go a long way, but I kind of like the chunkiness that your sculpt has. The smaller eyes look good, but I don't dislike the larger eyes.

Makkon: I dig the mix of furry bits and smooth, sleek tech. Good mix of colors as well.

Zwebbie: I think the character is hilarious. What do his clawhands look like from the side? Is it just one gigantic finger looking thing?