Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    A quick sketch, trying out some ideas based on that female bust I posted a few pages back. Might model this if I can bust out a solid concept I'm happy with.

emilmujanovic-fightgirl-01-sweat.jpg

awwwweeeeeeeeesooooommmmmeeeee
  • pekoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished my first rig! Forgive me for my blinding choice of blue.

sweatergirlgroup.jpg
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Loooong time I haven't do some chara/head sculpt (more than a year) so I'm kind of rusty :D

Head_01.jpg

I'll try to do some more (next will probably be a body).
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Guys, I seriously don't feel worthy to post in this thread anymore. This is all so overwhelming.

Old revidited concept, painted in Paint Too SAI. I enjoy that program a lot because of the way the brush tool blends colors, and because of the water tool. That tool alone makes this program a huge time saver.

10-27-2010_ninja.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey thanks for the great feedback guys! I noted them all down on a check list, here's hoping newer decisions haven't interfered with them heh.
    I am perhaps alittle worried that choosing such a strong colour for the hair overpowers the rest of the colour scheme? despite making her stand out abit more... :/

477_max.jpg

Bill Lowe, I tried to tone down the sharpness of the jeans altho I'm not sure if any hue variations in the hair are now over powered by its overall strawberry strength..

Yo Woog! Great advice on the hair, trying to follow the sculpt bake had been bitchin effort. >_<;
    Heh I suppose I should have made a thread for her when I started rather than just the odd appearance in WAYWO. I do intend to make a thread Very Soon tho for general Portfolio crits & sculpts, so be on the look out I guess lol :P

Fabio Brasilien
    , I made good effort to messy up the texture altho looking at the back now it's still fairly symmetrical. :(

Cheers for the link Ruz, what a Fiend that guy is ;_;
    I've plastered a load of layers below the chin, they shoot off before the tips alphas. Your Bruce Willis looks very clean considering the state he's usually in. You've got some good lighting set ups for him & soldier guy.

Thanks Dan! I added some occlusion to the lace area and toned down the shoe dirt. Nice tank class concept thing lol.

Sick sketches Dfacto, I won't be surprised if some one starts sculpting off one soon.

Mega Thanks Neox for the insight on the cloth, I imagine you may be able to shorten that workflow now to just inside zbrush due to their new "claytime" mode, from what I've seen they've pretty much just stuck in the tri-based workflow from sculptris. Looks great fun :D
    also I tweaked the belly button and darkened the inner nostrils.

I'm Lovin that Mech Wester, very StarWars ATST feel to it.

Nice biohazard guy Robat.

Still constantly banging out Awesome concepts I see Tactic Math :thumbup:

Nice sculpt Future-Fiction, you've caught some real character in his face. I'd spend some more time on the ears tho and the creases on the back of his legs seem weirdly rounded by comparison to the style in the other creases.

Stunningly Beautiful Head Sculpt Funky Bunnies!

Pekoe I adore your little character & poses! >v<
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i demand hair workflow.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Emil - I dig the acacia strain shirt :D

Pekoe - that character would look great in motion

Makkon - that ninja dude is rad, and i wanna try out SAI now...

Mask_Salesman - incredibly sexy character! I agree with you about the hair color taking focus from the character though, maybe have it a little less saturated and more brown, with red highlights at the tips?
  • Magnas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman: Maybe try some blonde/golden highlights? A lot of natural redheads in real life tend to have a slight yellow reflection/tint. I agree with Daphz- bump the saturation down a little. A darker red with blonde highlights?
  • cyberflame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres wrote: »
    Get a spec map on there! Great modeling, bad specular. Normal mapped details don't really stand out without a spec map either.

agreed, i know my texturing isn't particulary great, but hey, something to work on =)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Mask_Salesman, nice curves you've got going on!
    A few ideas from me if you don't mind
    Feed_1.gif

- Head too Big
    - Nose too Big
    - Nose too Tall
    - Blue jeans. Blue is a classical complementary color for red. Otherwise she feels to hot color-wise for me
    - Shadow from hair and cloths
    - A little less green in the shirt to play off the boots and fur better
    - Brighter fur to match the boots
    - Girls usually have lipstick color match something. Hair seems to be a logical choice
    - Also maybe some hairplanes to make fur and hair more "fluffy"?
    - Hair specularity

Btw if you're going to render her with udk you might consider some anisotropic lighting for hair and fur.
    http://stephenjameson.com/tutorials/anisotropic-shader-for-hair/

these are all very optional and I just hope you get the best out of this character, man. Good luck.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Nice work. Desperately needs painted occlusion! Tooooo flat right now. Careful with the super noisy pants too.
    paintover_012.gif

Variate the hair colour a tiny bit too. Hair is lighter + duller towards the tip as the sun bleaches it out over time. Nose is preety wide and unshapen too. Especially as you haven't made her Septum lower than her Alar Wing. Also her face is really big. Not just her head, but her whole face. And her feet are bit large too.
    nose-anatomy.jpg

Good job overall though! :)
    Nice to see you finishing a model, dude
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    477_max.jpg

nice work on the model, proportions look fine to me. i think the nose is fine as well. not every nose has to fit to the generic cg girl standard.

regarding the color scheme, i think it is fine. the hair color is fine but the painted strands are too thick to look like real hair. also, the looks of hair depends a lot on the specularity than the diffuse. be more subtle with the painted strands and multiply those details in the specular. also push the specularity in the metal parts and the necklace.

also, if you are going for photo realism then dont add an uniform layer of AO.
    if you do add it then make sure to spread it wide and be subtle with it.
    adding realtime shadows would help compensate the lack of AO quite a bit.

anyways, i got some critiques regarding the textures. right now the jeans surface doesn't quite read as jeans. also the seams of the jeans don't look like jeans seams, usually they have more faded or stone washed effect. i see some of that going on but the placements are not looking right.
    if that is suppose to be a leather jacket then there is the same problem with the surface. it doesn't read as leather to me.
    work more on both the jeans and leather surface, get better photo ref of these materials and apply them.
    last but not least, the hair split around the back of head looks odd. usually if it is a straight long style like that then the split does not go all the way to the back of the head. most of the time it ends where the hair swirl is at the top.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6

477_max.jpg

She's a beauty! My first thought was that she looks like a dead ringer for Mary Jane Watson.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Not sure what this guy is for yet but he is built in a modular kind of way so that I can make lots of armour sets, still gotta do his arm guards and shin guards.

dungeondude_show1.jpg
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    pekoe wrote: »

sweatergirlgroup.jpg

Nice style there!

You also have very nice drawings in your deviant profile, keep it up!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Great stuff Mask_Salesman!

Here's my WIP for the Comicon challenge, still a bunch of placeholder/basemesh stuff in there and the pants are rough. It's my take on Lobster Johson, as a lady in a post-apocalyptic world. The hose on her chest is used to suck nutrients from dead bodies.

1.jpg
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    I keep missing weeks of this thread and end up spending hours catching up on amazingness. Lovely work everyone!

It's been a long time since I posted any work so I did a generi-head and been trying to think of what to use it for but I'm at a loss, so I guess it'll just be a study haha.
    I already got some help from some peeps here, but any more crits would be awesome

genericgurlhead2.jpg

Talk about elegance man.
    How'd you go about making the eye lashes?

Jaco - That is an amazinggggg start man!Can't wait to see this completed.Your stuff is always top notch.
  • alloa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alloa polycounter lvl 12
    I love the style of your character, it looks like a figurine. especially the part of the legs.
    I hope you wont lose this style when you'll define better those parts.
    Jaco wrote: »
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Mask Salesman: definitely much better, i agree with MM and also with Dreamer, the AO definitely does a great job selling the piece, but i have to say i totally disagree with most of what D1ver said, don't make her the generic chick type, we see those way too often - its really refreshing to see someone believable.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Chai, the hair actually is on a separate layer, I just wanted to see it all together :)

Thanks EiGhT, I tried to figure out a cool way to do it in ZB but... I couldn't. I just ended up UVing planar eyelashes how you would on the game mesh and make a B&W alpha map, and apply that as a texture with transparency on.

Mask Salesman, that looks really nice man! sorta looks like jenna fischer. I agree with MM on the materials and others about the hair, I think it has too much explicit high frequency detail where more low frequency form and subtle little shading with nice highlights would look a lot more natural to me.

Jaco, that's wicked man! i feel like her boob armor makes her boobs feel a little low though
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work everybody.
    Jaco --- loving this already :) everything feels very balanced. Good luck with it.

Mask_Salesman - I think proportions are fine as they are but I agree the hairs is letting it down. It is just too noisy and there is hardly any specular on it as it was mentioned already. And yeaa.. feels a bit flat atm without any shadows or AO.

GoSsS this turned out hot man :) love the face - has so much character in it.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Jaco that's ace, agree about the boobs, only just though!
    Mark salesman, great stuff
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still moving along on this guy.

LowPoly_05.jpg
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any Maya users here know of a pinch edge script? so I can move edge loops into place. like the slide edge but so they slide away from each other.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    You could try inserting an edge loop then use the offset edge loop tool to create two more, then double click on the one you created before and remove it (Shift+RMB if I recall.)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Jaco, very cool progress so far.

More old sketches shadowed in PS
    Conceptos_24.jpg
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cr8.jpg
    An attempt to remake a mesh from an old PSX game. A clumsy one at best.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Chai, the hair actually is on a separate layer, I just wanted to see it all together :)h

Sorry meant separate mesh :P
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    choco wrote: »
    Thanks :) , getting close to the final result, I'll probably add a bump map to add some fine detail.
    Here is how it looks like in maya (realtime preview) on a medium resolution mesh (1mil polys)

I'll just have to figure out how to use mental ray and make a nice preview render with some atmospheric effects.

AEu5X.jpg

w6UDK.jpg

UztaU.jpg

So awesome!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Blaizer you definitely have a comic/manga quality to your sketches I love it.
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    looking for some feedback to help me make this look its best. This is a quick screen grab from UDK. Is there a way to get better quality from UDK? really not happy with the shadows. Just have a basic light. Textures are still WIP and the materials look like crap. I'm kinda green and looking for good crit and advice. My goal is to get Portfolio Quality renders!incubatorwip6b.jpg
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Jaco, very cool progress so far.

More old sketches shadowed in PS
    Conceptos_24.jpg

You are pissing me off with your sexy ass'ness.Keep up the good work man.I especially love your linework.

Funky Bunnies - Learn something new everyday.Thanks for the tip man.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    got some work done on this.

worm8.JPG
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    portmanp.jpg

Some more progress on the female character
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Random renders, took me a while to get the sculptris obj files into max... Both renders are straight out of max/mental ray, no post.

This first one is around 8k polygons with normal map.
    4zvvxi.jpg

This one is just me trying the PAINT mode in sculptris... yeah I'm horrible ahahaha. just a diffuse map here. (lighting could be better too, what you see cannot be unseen...{left eye})
    sgj2op.jpg
  • james567
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko wrote: »
    looking for some feedback to help me make this look its best. This is a quick screen grab from UDK. Is there a way to get better quality from UDK? really not happy with the shadows. Just have a basic light. Textures are still WIP and the materials look like crap. I'm kinda green and looking for good crit and advice. My goal is to get Portfolio Quality renders!incubatorwip6b.jpg
    Your glass needs some type of reflection vector for udk, take a basic cube map and apply it. Your glass looks really flat with out it, on the bottom where the tube meets the ground needs some grunge or wear, the clamps with the emmissive is what i'm talking about. I like your yellow tube you have going into it. Everything needs a little wear or story if you will to sell the tube. Is this pod reference from quake 4 or paul richards? he has some great stuff. Lastly your spec is a little weak on your metal, a reflection vector can help with that too, but you need to increase your spec highlights, give some scratches. Your model ability seems really good, you are in the same boat I am. As our textures go, its a good base for a work in progress. The spec is what is going to sell this piece, and to ground your shadows, make sure your lightmap on the ground is set pretty high, if its a udk plane, i recommend using a flat plane mesh and import it in, UDK planes are still a little buggy.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Feel like my drawing skills are lacking so I tried doing a study from a photo.

Fybnc.png

karmen-pedaru_mario-testino_allure-september-11_03.jpg

Still gotta do a lot more of these to improve, gonna do some fullbody ones next.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    pekoe wrote: »

sweatergirlgroup.jpg

That character is absolutely fantastic. I love when people make something that's extremely simple and yet it feels just right :)
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    nice work on the redhead chris!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ditto, love it (that was at pekoe :) )
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Another update for my comicon entry :)

bmanhp01.jpg
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    james567 wrote: »
    Your glass needs some type of reflection vector for udk, take a basic cube map and apply it. Your glass looks really flat with out it, on the bottom where the tube meets the ground needs some grunge or wear, the clamps with the emmissive is what i'm talking about. I like your yellow tube you have going into it. Everything needs a little wear or story if you will to sell the tube. Is this pod reference from quake 4 or paul richards? he has some great stuff. Lastly your spec is a little weak on your metal, a reflection vector can help with that too, but you need to increase your spec highlights, give some scratches. Your model ability seems really good, you are in the same boat I am. As our textures go, its a good base for a work in progress. The spec is what is going to sell this piece, and to ground your shadows, make sure your lightmap on the ground is set pretty high, if its a udk plane, i recommend using a flat plane mesh and import it in, UDK planes are still a little buggy.

Thanks for all your feedback. Gonna go through some tutorials on work on the udk materials and the textures and will post an update. The concept is my own but I have worked from Paul Richards concepts for an autopsy table and crate I did for my folio. His stuff is awesome! Thank you again!
  • RPTGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is always so inspirational!
    Making a model roughly based on this concept
    wipeoutpilots.jpg

Pimping out my boyfriend's artblog

He's gonna be a Wipeout pilot with lots of hard surface stuff that I can practise. Been using refs of F1 drivers right now, please ignore his bare feet and blank space on his back where the pack's gonna be.

15i9oat.jpg

Crits at this stage would be awesome.

Hi Blair, that's looking nice, both you and your fella have some considerable talent, looking at your websites.

Having just spent three years working on products with F1 drivers, there are a few things that pop out to me as maybe needing a bit more work.

The creases on the back of his thighs. At the moment there are a lot of "compression" type wrinkles you have there, I think you could tone some of these down a bit, at the moment they take away from some of the nice shapes you have in your suit design.

The inner panelling looks a bit heavy, if you are in zbrush and those areas are on different layer, it may be worth toning down their intensity a bit.

The suit may look nice with some quilting similar to that found on a F1 race suit, to help give it that slightly padded look, its probably easier to add this in photoshop, though you do not want it too look too uniform.

I think I would be inclined to raise his collar a bit too, make it deeper, the collars on an F1 race suit have a really nice shape where they dip towards the front and as they get to the rear of the neck they raise up in a slight curve. Its a nice little design that give the suit a bit more shape.

Also, just for that extra ounce of realism, its worth remembering that F1 drivers have to cope with huge G-forces. They all have quite thick, bullish necks and in general are quite broad across the shoulders, maybe worth pushing this a bit more on your guy?

Just some thoughts.:)
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome stuff everyone... I feel in debt to the universe seeing all this amazing work and not contributing anything back :P

Pekoe, you captured so much character in those poses!

Shadownami92, I think you need to work on the proportions and forms. Try upping the contrast of your source image and sketching by observing values rather than lines.
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some sketch as I was finishing up work this weekend.

spp_001.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    OMG there's some awesomeness on here
    @Virtuosic - SHIIIIIIIIIT NICE!!
    @AFisher - dude.... love the batman.

Here's a pic of my current WIP for a contest I'm doing over at NGHS
    udk_update.jpg

here's a link to the thread.
    http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/showthread.php?903-Nghs-future-contest-adamw3d

Cheers!
    ADM
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep missing weeks of this thread and end up spending hours catching up on amazingness. Lovely work everyone!

It's been a long time since I posted any work so I did a generi-head and been trying to think of what to use it for but I'm at a loss, so I guess it'll just be a study haha.
    I already got some help from some peeps here, but any more crits would be awesome

genericgurlhead2.jpg

hot!
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    First time posting on WAYWO thread. Nervous :D
    It's a model of a zeppelin carrying cannon for a top down kind of arcade game me and friend of mine are working on. Still not sold on the silhouette, but I am slowly getting. One thing I realized just now is that there are loads of small little details there which won't be seen after its been resized for the game. Any tips, critiques, ideas?

zeppelin05f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    What's not to love?

future-fiction - great start :) Loving those greyscales.
    Envelope - Sweet comp. Planning on taking it any further?
    Pope Adam - Very cool man. I'll check the thread.

femaledrone.png
This discussion has been closed.