Home General Discussion

LA Noire

Replies

• crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    mines in the post, buddy got his already and is taunting me with it :( grrrrrrrrrrrrrr cant wait for this :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I kinda wish I had a console still so I could pick this one up. Apparently they arent planning a PC version. I'm both curious about seeing the technology in action and the game itself. I've long wanted a Noir detective game, ala Chinatown or LA Confidential.

One of the guys behind the whole game idea said one of his fav movies was Chinatown! I love that movie, and this game captures the essence of piecing together clues and going after suspects and just the feeling of being in control of the investigation. It's pretty awesome! I am really happy with what i have seen and played so far. I cant' wait to get on to the more interesting cases.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Got it, will report back on Friday. Busy with meetings and friends till then.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Played it for about 3 hours last night. Its pretty fun. I like the whole putting action on the side burner and focusing on logic and detection. Its a nice twist in what you would expect from a Rockstar game. Though it still has plenty of "Rockstar-ness" to it: tons of driving, randomness, the same shooting that the last 3 games have had. The atmosphere is great. Tons of cool vistas. The facial animation tech is awesome but sometimes I can't tell if they're lying, hiding something, or playing it straight. I don't know, maybe its just my detection skills. Looking forward to playing more though for sure.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surprised about the lack of hype/posts in this thread compared to say, Brink and many other games.

The game looks amazing, I haven't played it yet because I'm really busy, but I'll definitely get it as soon as my first game is released.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    ha za!!! I just remembered I have a few games I could trade-in and get the game at at least half price.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Lol me n the bros went to the midnight release at best buy an waited in a two minuet line.
    we been playing every free second together. It so fun to watch because its just like a movie.
    the freaking facial animation scares me sometimes.
    I love watching peoples neck muscles move with their heads.

I hope that this is the new standard for animation fidelity, but Im sure we wont have this kid of tech in most games for a long time still, just too expensive.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I want this game so bad, it was 29 bucks the other day on ps3 at a local store but I missed out ;( no extra cash in the game budget for this game :(
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5803461/is-la-noire-locking-up-xbox-360s

I've noticed some slow downs in my game. But not really any freezes. Usually it runs pretty smooth. I am playing on a 360. Now i am hoping i get the update crash from the firmware so i can get a new xbox. haha

Anyone having any issues?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    I hope that this is the new standard for animation fidelity, but Im sure we wont have this kid of tech in most games for a long time still, just too expensive.

I hope it will be achieved with joints and morphtargets then, and not using the tech in LA Noir.
    The lights from the capture reflecting in all the characters eyes, and the motioncapture not syncing up with the facials (hey, Im talking to you, but Im not looking at you because I twist my head a bit. Instead I'll just look straight forward, oh look, a butterfly)

Or keep everything, but make the eyes into some geometry that can be animated with a look at or some shit (seing as everything has to be automated these days, god forbid you'd actually use an animator for animation).
    Don't want to loose the subtile eye motions..Do want to loose the lights and dead stare:poly142:
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Have played for about 3.5 hours. I love it so far. Great job as usual from the rockstar crews. I'm diggin the replay-ability aspect as I don't usually do the greatest job interrogating suspects/witnesses.

Playing on the PS3- froze up on me in the first hour - and I fell through the world once. no biggie.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm maybe a third to half way through so far. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Initially I found the interrogation system to be pretty hard to get to grips with but I'm finding more and more as I go on that I know which option to choose in each situation.

I still feel like there was room for a lot more depth in this system given how much of the game takes place in this mode. I think that quite often there is a lot of subtlety and ambiguity in the statements and that having just three options to choose from is kind of limited in comparison. I'm not sure how you improve the system, but it feels very archaic compared to the actors' performances. Other than that small gripe though it's really impressive in terms of production values and mood. I'm pleasantly surprised about how slow the pace of the game is too.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Having seen this around the office so much I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying it well done boys n girls
    Needs more hype
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing it and love it. PS3 froze trying to access the store but I guess the store isnt up yet. The one thing that stands out to me is their bodies seem odd with little nuances in the face, theres something there that just feels odd to me (although some times the death stare looks into my soul :()
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    This is an awesome game. I bought it mostly because it looked interesting and different (and also to support aussie devs) but I really didn't think I'd be enjoying it as much as I am.. it's really got me hooked.

Whenever I play open world games like GTAIV/RDR i find myself mucking around in the open world, and kinda grinding through missions to open up newer areas. While the stories in RDR and GTAIV are good and interesting, I haven't felt as engaged in them as I have with LA Noire. I love being presented with a crime, and having to solve it. I think that trying to find the culprit is what keeps me so interested.

If anybody is interested, I think the best way to describe this game is a cross between Phoenix Wright and GTAIV. If you're planning on getting it, don't expect a GTA clone.. This is a really unique game. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I heard there is, indeed, a Black and White option!!!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This game is fuckin magical, nuff said. Go go australia!
    I'm at the golden butterfly (barely started) and it's getting really dang good at this point. The red lipstick murder was my fav so far.

Got the game yesterday and I just can't let it go!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I've read that no matter how badly you flub in the game, you still arrive at the same result. You still progress in the case and the bad guy is still revealed and a face off ensues. Is this true? It seems this would take away from the experience, no? I've been really on the fence with this one. Heard some of the music on YouTube and it's great. Not real keen on the opening scene using language like 'fist humping' though. Seems quite unnecessary. How grisly are the crime scenes? Do you have to examine the bodies in gory detail? I was okay with 300, but I couldn't make it 10 minutes into the movie Ninja Assassin.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Miles: I'm about 1.5 hrs into the game, and so far it's not too bad violence wise. It's not gratuitous at least. There was one scene where you could lift a dead guys arm and inspect it (it was still attached :P). Mostly so far, lots of blood spatter decals more than anything. I'm not far in, but my take is that the game is more about the characters who are alive, and catching the bad guys.

There is some shooting, but no dismemberment or anything. You can't shoot civillians (I tried :P). They also magically dodge oncoming traffic.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the story today and really enjoyed it for the most part. Kind of wish I hadn't rushed through it so quickly! I thought that overall the story and characters were really well handled, certainly a level above pretty much any other game. I felt that some aspects of the story were underdeveloped and certain cases became a bit repetitive (homicide), but apart from that it was a really impressive game. I actually wish that some of the more gamey aspects had been removed - the map/radar thing for instance - to make the experience even more immersive. The interrogation was hit and miss at first for me, but I ended up getting four or five stars for most of the later cases so I either got better at it or the interviews became less ambiguous as it went along. I hope they do some DLC for this in the near future as I think there are a lot more stories to be told in that city.

I don't know if we have any TeamBondi/Rockstar guys who worked on the game on Polycount, but kudos if you did!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dig this game so far, graphics aren't all that hot, but it sets the mood well without ever becoming cringe-worthy. Gameplay is completely amazing though, I found myself deeply immersed from the first mission on.

A PI DLC would rock soo bad though, its awesome as is, but how cool could it be to pretend to be Philip Marlowe? :P
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah definitely. Something close to Chinatown and the PI methods used in that film (surveillance, tailing, that cool trick where he leaves a stopwatch under a car's tire to see what time it left etc.) would be awesome.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    19th century london with the same sort of gameplay wouldnt be too shabby either, there might even be IP to exploit! Ho-humm! :P

But yeah, its really exciting to see a AAA title centered around puzzles, with gunfights as the minigame. Moar plz.. :D
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    but if the main char was a PI it would be too close to Heavy Rain IMO.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Loving the game so far, I'm finding myself feeling invested in the outcomes of each case.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone playing lots of the side missions? so far the ones i have played (maybe like 5 to 10 of them) have ended up with me killing the perpetrators... anyone successfully apprehended them without killing?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    anyone playing lots of the side missions? so far the ones i have played (maybe like 5 to 10 of them) have ended up with me killing the perpetrators... anyone successfully apprehended them without killing?

dont think you can. I tried a bunch of times to shoot the gun out of the hand but they just die :(
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont think you can. I tried a bunch of times to shoot the gun out of the hand but they just die :(

yea.. i have tried shooting the gun, the arm, the leg, and they always stumble and then try to kill the hostage... so before they do i just kill them. I remember in one of the tutorial missions you could tackle the guy if you were close enough. Haven't had the chance to get that prompt again. Which really makes me sad. I love the game tho.... still in disc 1, but i am having a blast. I really like downtown LA, and some of the outside.

Another thing that bugs me is sometimes their eyes just look straight forward and breaks the effect of who they are looking. Anyways, i hope the missions keep getting better and better.
  • Drumonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I was on one or two missions where if you get close enough, you can just aim the gun and you'll see a gauge around the crosshair that fills up the longer you have it on the target. I assume once that gauge fills maybe the suspect surrenders?

Not too sure I just shoot first, ask questions later. Especially on the cop-killing bastards
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, if you can get close enough, keep your gun trained on them. The guage fills up, they surrender. I had one where two guys took off and got into a convertible. I shot the driver in the back of the head and he died, slumped forward. The passenger got out, took cover behind the car and starting shooting. He came running forward and I took out his leg. At that point there was a fade to black, and I completed the mission. Not sure if he died or what.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I'm gonna try these tactics next time. So far it's all ended with me shooting them in the face.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. Will try that. Liking the missions so far and seem a bit longer than the homicide ones.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does this sum it up?

0qATn.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Not at all actually. There's very little similar to GTA. You have a car you can drive sometimes. You can actually opt out of the whole driving thing all together.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much is there to do outside of the main storyline? I'm really interested in playing this, but I should probably wait till summer break.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... you can explore locations, get new side missions that are just picked by radio and you accept, apart from that, i don't really know.

You have to keep in mind that the game really captures your attention so that you want to keep along the story. I kinda have to make myself answer the calls since they level me up and i get intuition points. It's a game that anyone should at least try.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way i see it SeanEG.

Nothing much. There's the side stories that the police radio picks up but you can usually do those in a few minutes. They're along the lines of, bank robbery (shoot these guys), guy jumping from high building (go grab him) and thug with car or running thug (shoot him, crash him, chase him).

Driving around = Just a way to get to the cases and tie the cases to a city/world. I usually let my partner drive which basically teleports you to the next location you choose instantly.

There is a system in place to reward people that drive themselves tho, every now and again you drive by a landmark in the city, if you look at it (by pressing a button) you get experience to help you level up.

You can also find secret/hidden cars but they generally don't give anything. Just a collectible. So basically, in my opinion everything outside of the cases are pretty useless. However. I LOVE THE CASES! , They're brilliantly done and it's a very very unique and awesome game play experience and you should def try/buy the game just for that. I love this game and i will buy all the extra cases DLC without question!

This is no GTA baby. Don't treat it as one :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    It certainly seem it's not an "open world" game. I think the open city is more of a bullet point for the box than anything - it's really just a means to an end. It's an interesting plot based game driven by good actors, so don't let the lack of "exploration" impact your opinion.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Loving this game so far. Only this and red dead had me not rushing for the run button as I feel so cool lol.

good read on the difference between 360 and Ps3, no SSAO for xbox and crap draw distances, time to shelve those xbox's :)
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving this game too guys. It makes me feel like I'm Jimmy Kudo from the anime series Detective Conan(Case Closed).
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay just finished it.

Absolutely love the gameplay, acting, setting, mood and the cars. The story was decent with a lot of potential.

At the risk of sounding petulant, I am a little disappointed in how it wraps up. It kinda felt like they tried to cram too much stuff in there and it got tied off a bit too nicely.
    Also, Kelso was far too much of a stereotypical hero, it would have suited him with a bit more depth to his character. I guess the last point also goes a bit for Phelps, the sleeping around with Elsa was a bit sudden, I would have liked at least a little bit of rationalization and lead up to that particular bit.

The only reason why it bugs me, is that this is so close to being my favourite game of all time, if it weren't for a bit of lacking in the story. Individual cases were great, if not fantastic, the overall picture, not so much.

All that being said, I look forward the the DLC's with giddy excitement and hope for a sequel with a PI focus and more world interaction with dead-end cases and more general ambiguity. Same setting, perhaps pre-war, though..
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I played for an hour last night and... Coming off of the Witcher 2 which is one of the best games I've ever played and one of the best looking games I've ever played; I'm not finding myself super drawn in yet.

I am interested in the setting, stories and investigation/interrogation, but man, the driving is so boring and difficult to control (shooting as well). The city is big and the objectives seem so far away considering you're stopping at red lights and listening to a 20 second audio loop... Now that I can have my partner drive, I probably never will again. I hit a pedestrian by accident and nothing even happened...

The facial animation looks great, but the character's faces look mushy like dough or something. Playing in Black and White is cool, kind of takes away emphasis from the jaggy plain environments.

I'm really enjoying some parts so far but not others, we'll see how it goes once I get further in.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just remembered I had the Naked City bonus case for preordering at Gamestop. It's actually one of the better cases in the game I think and features a good mix of different game mechanics. There's another bonus mission called A Slip of the Tongue that you got if you preordered at Walmart. I wonder if it will be downloadable DLC at some point, I'm guessing it will.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    Looking forward to playing this eventually :P, seems right up my street.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone answer this question for me?(if you've reached Arson)

In "The Gas Man" case why is Varley not guilty?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 wrote: »
    Can someone answer this question for me?(if you've reached Arson)

In "The Gas Man" case why is Varley not guilty?

You will find out soon enough
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    You will find out soon enough
    yep:) just beat the game. This game was damn good.

I know this is supposed to be a noire type story but....
    I kinda wish Cole magically appears alive at the end and then leaves town or something to start a new life.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Really interesting 11min commentary by a 30 year veteran LAPD detective.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/27/what-do-real-detectives-think-of-l-a-noire.aspx

The most interesting part for me was that the video plays out that case a lot differently from how I played it.
    When I played, I confronted the boyfriend guy at the house instead of the bar because I had already found the knife. When that happened, he actually killed the girlfriend. So in this case, he uses a different weapon in a different setting, and another character lives instead of dies. So cool!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    It's a shame these spoilers wern't censored when I read my email :/
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    It's a shame these spoilers wern't censored when I read my email :/
    forget everything you read. got it!!!:)