Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybrinsanity - nice idea, I wait for more.
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Slipstream - I like it!
    @Ziggy - #1 - It has well balanced colors but still the wow factor is needed.
    @Mrandk - Nice one. I know that it is wip but using more colors on his texture will prevent him from being boring-gray.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really impressed with the concepts and mostly the SPEED with which you guys produce your characters. Modelling for me takes ages, haha. So far it's looking great.

And thanks for the comments, I'll give him more assymetry and I'm working on the legs. I'm beating my head trying to get some sort of decent leggings or robes or whatnot.
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrandk - great work I like texture very much.
    HntrLuc - great design can't wait to see more.
    Ziggy - really awesome design,I like no.2

amazing work evryone!!!:)
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    I have to agree with keng, some stuff are really nice!

Me on the other hand still haven't figured out what to draw and then model, but I keep drawing!

DominanceWarV_4c.png

This one below is a cleanup from the image I posted on the previous page.

cleaningMecha.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, you guys are producing some great stuff, gogogo!!

Here's another update from me, model is currently sitting at 2768 tris
    techmwip.jpg

Also need some suggestions for the gloves/hands.
    glover.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Here's my first go at a concept in Zbrush.

tm_01.jpg

Edit: did a variation on the pants that works better with the sleeves.

tm_02.jpg
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diggin it Jaco lots of interesting possibilities with that form.

Update on my basemesh still very, very wip but would love any comments/crits
    GeneralDW_wip02.jpg
  • Marowit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Some peoples designs are really coming along great, and they're very inspirational. I've decided to jump in and see what I can do.

Here's a rough (Emphasis on rough) concept of what I had in mind for the Shadow. Without a head, which I'll decide what to do with later.

Bn35U.jpg
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    Finished sketch

technomage_sketch04.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    quick concept sculpt

JKrHx.png
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Developing the concept further...

Shadow_concept_further.jpg
  • Rens
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Just a quick tip to everyone out there, that maybe can help when creating your model: What makes your character unique and what do you want people to feel when they see your work?

Don't try and mimic previous contestants and designs - lets show them that Polycount can bring something new to the table :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Rens: This has always bothered me about a lot of models - the forearms. A forearm can twist a 180 degrees, but if your model tries that, the result will be super duper deformy ugly.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Those are very good points Eoq, my brain is too slow to be creative though.

dom_technomage2.jpg

Making veerrry slow progress, haha. I'll probably not finish in time considering I've got university projects, but nevertheless it's fun.

Updated the concept trying to take in the critique I got. I'm not sure if I succeeded. I do want his lower part to be low tech, and possibly have some pouches/jars. The pattern will be reminiscent of mid east or persian patterns.

Also worrying about him having way to many details for 3000 tris. If so the areas that will be reduced are his upper arms.
  • Kiranor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion cool idea =)
  • Cybrinsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybrinsanity polycounter lvl 9
    @Soda Thanks man, working on concept now.. Sadly I can't draw too good but I can model and texture somewhat so don't judge me lol :)
    @Azimn yeah a Pipe Organ could be neat. Might be difficult to hit the 3k mark with so many round shapes but can't wait to see it!!
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas - very interesting design.
    Jaco - great sculpted.
    Eoq - really nice progress.
    Rens - really nice low poly.

I finished sketch I removed legs.

pdwvsketch02.jpg
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    I'm going to give pre-dom a shot. Lots of cool stuff brewing from everyone so far.

swizzle, onelunglewis, slukas, muzz- very inspiring stuff

Here are a few thumbs for a technomage.
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh. Finally found some time to scrape something resembling progress. I decided to meld two of my earlier concepts into something that I like.

So, the first half of the model is about done. The back hasn't optimized from the retopo because that's going to get chopped up and removed to fit his parasite on him.

minidwv.jpg
  • MNeMiC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some thumbnails from Alchemy, going to do some more puzzling with them :)
    ShadowPieces.jpg
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    here is my image, elf lady, not very 'shadow' but hmm :)
    conceptfinal.jpg
    Firebat - niiice ^^
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Firebat - look fantastic! Mayby blades can be a little longest.
  • lymiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally found more time to do some drawing again today and... well, my concept took a turn. I didn't like any of the costumes I was concepting and this full-body armor kinda took over; but, I like it! So, maybe I'm changing my idea from Shadow to War General?

Any crits? I'd like to start modeling this week and I might more or less stick with this design, unless there seem to be major things I should fix.

warGeneralsketch.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    For some reason, I feel like I end up in Clich
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    Joining PC :)

Starting a bit late, work's been keeping me busy. I'm still not 100% on this concept, but here's what I've got:

technoMage03.png

Not sure what to do with his right arm. Been playing with doing hand wraps, a strapped on "weirding module" or a staff...but still not sure...
  • muhlbacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i had to use the webcam on my mac to get a shot of my concepts, as my scanner broke the other day T_T. anywho im still trying to decide on the lower body. the options i was thinking of were; snake, crab, spider, ghost, skeleton/zombie...any ideas? what would make it cooler?

so the orb in the stomach is a soul orb, which for the sake of this comp is full of 'souls' (the polycount logo)

concept.jpg
    i know its bnlurring and hard to see, but basically the ribcage is exposed, and the shoulder muscle w/skin connects to it for the one arm, as for the other i havent decided if i want to do a straight skeleton arm, or put some gore on it. heres an early shot of what i got modeled so far...

early_shot.jpg
  • Element_Vinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Element_Vinci polycounter lvl 5
    Hello All,

I am considering working on the Pre - Dom War Challenge ~

Here are a few simple silhouettes I have put together -
    I am going for the War General Idea, in all of his / her Glory

More Updates Soon ~

- Element Vinci

Sihouette_Show.jpg
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Have elaborated on thumbs 10 , 15 and 6.
    DominanceWarV_thumbs_explo.jpg

I think it will be either 10C 6A or 15B will decide after work tomorrow. first row techno mages, second warlords and third corrupted and warlord.

@Rens interesting form reminds me of those quake3 arena characters (slash), maybe you can push it towards that direction, actually playing quakelive and the characters still look nice and fresh.
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Hi all !

I starting this challenge

Concept of TECHNOMAGE

CharacterConcept.jpg

Good luck everyone and Keep up the good work :)
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys here is a WIP sculpt (of the corrupted) that i'm going to retop eventually. Everything I've seen so far on the forum is looking awesome! great work so far. If you have any critiques for me on design or whatever please feel free to tear into it. Thanks :D

screenzo.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finkus, liking your design so far. Only thing I'm finding a little odd is his elbow area, it doesn't look like it can quite move, what with it being all hard-surface like. Last thing is although I think it's cool that we're both looking at the same e-mail, in the future I might crop your print screens to just the viewport. Looking forward to seeing more work.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Ocarian, that is amazing!
  • chill-lair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink: that is brilliant, just brilliant.

Here is where my base mesh stands. Its right around 1.8k ploys so I have a bit to play with.

Wj7RP.jpg

Eoq, very good point. I think that polycount has a lot that it can bring to the table. Lets dominate the competition!
    Noodle: Really digging the sketch. Its like he has mini powerplants on his shoulders.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    @Audi100 - 15c!

@Zwebbie - So goooood :poly142: I think her dress would look sweet with some elaborate Indian-ish patterning all over it. Stick with the rich colours!

@Ocarian - Really nice colours you got there. I like the blue in his sholder, maybe bring that out a lil more? (or change it to green for PC ;P)
  • MerrittFilban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MerrittFilban polycounter lvl 14
    Here are some thumbnails for my entry. I am interested in the silhouette of this character. I am torn a bit on the specific direction of the corruption. I am debating about going a mostly corrupted flesh theme, but due to the background of this contest, I am thinking about a hybridization of flesh and metal. The character seeks perfection in its evolution and devotion to its cause. Anyways, I hope to get around creating a base-mesh soon!

corrupted.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Got to sketching today. Been feeling like making a gundam/armored core inspired warlord bot.
    Vailias_WIP_1.jpg
    Not sure if I should go 3d or concept with it. Challenges in each..
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    So here is my first 20 min sketch. Planning to go for corrupted or technomage.Plan to make it less symmetrical with equipment (sword, staff or shield)

Awesome entries so far. WOuld like to post comments about a few but I'm on my way out. Definitively will post some comments tonight.

post01.JPG
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomage concept:
    technomancer.jpg

it's in no way complete, but I'd like to run it thru you people while I refine it and add the left hand

(are particle effects allowed in the contest?)
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I realized my previous design probably wouldn't work well with the 3k tri limit, so I've gone back to the drawing board.

zf_technomage_round2.jpg
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Nothing visual to update but I got my UVing out of the way this weekend, can start to hand paint on monday! Woo!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Finished up my concept enough to start on the model. Might add some additional things to the back to make a little more colorful and interesting than a cape. Like a tank of fluid or something

polycountHead2.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Lots to like in this thread!

Here's my mesh:

Barring any glaring errors, I'm gonna start texturing.

dudewire.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Still figuring out what direction I want to go in for techno mage

0Frv7.png

JacqueChoi
    Nice modeling, very clean wires, can't wait to see what you do with the textures.
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz: Thank you so much for that paintover and your critiques. I think it helped me move in a better direction. Really like your modeling so far, and am impressed that you made the girl and her mount so efficiently. Good stuff.

Artquest:
    I really like your shadow design, especially that first one you posted with the detachable headpiece. Really clean drawings and cool concepts.

Slukas: Great start on the texturing. I think some more contrast would make the different materials stand out more, though.

David-J:
    I think you would benefit from working more loosely/faster, and - like you mentioned - making your concept asymmetrical. Good luck!

Zack Fowler: She's cute! I like her B gear the best, so far. Good luck with your new designs.

Slipstream: Nice concept. Throwing a contrasting color into the mix would probably make it really pop. The glove is especially cool. Also: I'm sure you can fit more polycount logos on there. :)

JacqueChoi: Loved your concept and am impressed with your model. Looking forward to seeing your textures!

Fink: Nice ZBrushing. I agree with Der Hollander about the elbow, and also think that some kind of feet or stabilizers might help the balance.

Ocarian: Lovely drawings! Diggin' the orange. Can't wait to see what you do with your cat.

Audi100:
    15c gets my vote!

Element_Vinci:
    Definitely 9 or 22. Nice thumbs.

Zwebbie: I think doing something with one arm or one leg might make her stand out. Right now she's all dolled up without much accessory.

Firebat: Cool shadow. Especially like the poison/potions angle.

Noodle: That second drawing is much cooler.

Rens: Cool ZBrush concept/model. Is it going to be hard to make him fade in like that with such low res geometry?

ZacD: Love the Buffawhale's expression and goatee. Have you thought about mobility yet? Because a jetpack/airship type contraption might be funny.

Jaco: Cool concept and material. Is that a matcap?

BlackulaDZ: Great start on the modeling. Do you plan to make the rings around your character's hips as separate objects or just painted on? Either way, good luck!

Sturmfury: Don't dis your drawing skills, I really like your thumbnails. The one on the right is most interesting to me.

/

Based on some helpful comments, I made some changes to my concept. I made the facemask which protects my Technomage from biological and chemical attacks into a more complex and (hopefully) interesting shape. I also elongated my character's forked tail and re-designed the armor which protects it. Hopefully these changes bring me closer to modeling, as I am eager to get started on that. Any comments or critiques would be really appreciated.

domWarMiniChallengeConcept4_cdizzle.jpg

Good luck, everyone!
  • 3D Freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my concept so far for this DW Pre Challenge. Any critics and helpful comments would be cool

concept.gif
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I spent most of Friday, all of Saturday and a good portion of today away from home, but now I'm back and I've gotten a little work done on this. There's still a lot to do, but I think it's coming along well enough.

It's currently at 1986 tris, so I still have a good chunk to work with. I think I'm probably going to just barely squeeze in under the limit. I need to get detailed concepts for the arm, gun and backpack done and then I'll worry about getting things inside that limit.

jwKUz.jpg

Also, I've decided that he's going to have black tape X's on his nipples. It's going to be rad.
  • ashleyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone!

All the entries are looking great :). This is what I came up with, going to start texturing it now.

PreDomWarV.jpg